Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

And likewise you can ignore the thread. You are commenting on how it's reached 50 pages, yet here you are participating in it.

You are annoyed that we are annoyed with the fans .

Don't click in the thread. Easily avoidable . After 50 pages you know the narrative so best probably to avoid it.

only Im not annoyed at the thread, Im not annoyed at its length
    Im not even annoyed by those who are annoyed at the fans, Im pointing out how bizarre it is to be wilfully engaged with something that clearly does annoy you, so much so that you create and assign generalisations to all fans to justify it. (to yourself or to others, Im not sure which)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

BBDBB wrote: »
    No its not a reasonable case to assert.

It assumes
    1) That all fans drink before games, they don't. Some do. Some don't.

2) That all fans have an exact knowledge of how to get to a ground, from different starting points and via either private or public transport when they cannot control the timings of public transport or their journey timing. Both of which can be adversely affected by weather conditions, road conditions, volume of traffic, any road or rail network maintenance, car parking availability, security measures etc
    3) That all security at the venue is a turnstile where you roll through it at any pace you like, and are simply waived through. That's only true if everyone complies with regulations, doesn't engage in suspicious dress or behaviour that requires closer scrutiny and that the event security are knowledgeable, professional and courteous, if they aren't then the process is delayed

sounds more like you are looking to have a pop at some fans (whose antics are annoying you) lumping them all in together and creating strawmen to rail against

Fair enough on lumping all fans into the drinking category but it's odd that Belgian fans had no security and logistical and (weather wtf!?) issues on entering the stadium. The stadium was jam packed with Belgians a good 45 minutes before kick off. I have no strong views on this whole rant but it was the media who are supposedly responsible for all this ridiculous adulation that were asking questions of where these amazing 'fans' were yesterday before kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

....where these amazing 'fans' were yesterday before kick off.

Having the bantz and the craic obviously.

ARE YOU A DRY****E? ANSWER THE ****ING QUESTION!

WE DON'T TAKE KINDLY TO DRY****ES ROUND HERE! HAVE MANDATORY FUN!

Being Irish is about having fun all the time regardless of the cost and then wondering why the country is a nigh-on third world ****hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

those french fans are amazing. hairs on neck standing up. what a rendition that was!!!! wow

BBDBB wrote: »
    Its totally bizarre, if you are bored/irritated by this aspect of how the media is portraying irish fans, its incredibly easy to avoid, don't click on the links on websites, don't read the articles in newspapers and switch over/off if its on TV.

One of the major advantages of the power TV has over sporting coverage is that kick off times are pretty much dead on. If you feel that there might be a bit of "craic" being had that the pundits might comment upon in the build up to the game, that might annoy you, just wait until one minute to go to kick off, you wont miss a thing I promise you

I get that point...but that would rule out criticism of so much, the whole "just ignore it" thing. One can criticise the portrayal of Irish fans in the media as a commentary on the media. I don't blame Irish fans for having a good time at all, I do dislike the way aspects of the media fixate on it as affirmation of how great we are, and how many lap this up without question or challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Only in Ireland could this topic have 50 pages of discussion.

Its only 19 pages if you're doing it like a boss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Irish fans sing hym with a nun and Irish fans sing to a sleeping baby on trains.

starting to hate joe.ie

what are we going to do next ??? recreate the hunchback of Notre Dame, build homeless shelters over there ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Irish fans sing hym with a nun and Irish fans sing to a sleeping baby on trains.

starting to hate joe.ie

what are we going to do next ??? recreate the hunchback of Notre Dame, build homeless shelters over there ???

Habitats for hunchbacks. Has a ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Having the bantz and the craic obviously.

ARE YOU A DRY****E? ANSWER THE ****ING QUESTION!

WE DON'T TAKE KINDLY TO DRY****ES ROUND HERE! HAVE MANDATORY FUN!

Being Irish is about having fun all the time regardless of the cost and then wondering why the country is a nigh-on third world ****hole.

General rule of thumb: people that use the term 'third world' have never travelled outside of the first world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

These Irish fans walked into a French patisserie and you won't believe what happened next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I get that point...but that would rule out criticism of so much, the whole "just ignore it" thing. One can criticise the portrayal of Irish fans in the media as a commentary on the media. I don't blame Irish fans for having a good time at all, I do dislike the way aspects of the media fixate on it as affirmation of how great we are, and how many lap this up without question or challenge.

So on one hand we have the advice to simply ignore something that bothers you. I accept your point that there are things that should be challenged.

However there are two reasons why I don't think that this is an occasion where it needs to be challenged.
    Im not convinced that boards is the appropriate medium to challenge the irish media, particularly when most of them have their own web based media outlets and have sections where members of the public are encouraged to contribute their views. That would be a much more direct and more likely to be influential than a social forum in part of a much bigger and wholly general forum, Challenging it here is akin to liking posts on facebook so that they cure cancer. Well intentioned but futile.

Secondly, Im not convinced that this is of such great importance that it needs to be challenged. In a country so recently in the grip of terrorism, during a tournament marred by violence and hooliganism to have our fans praised for their behaviour and good humour I think is laudable, when they could be in the news for the wrong reasons. For me its not worth getting annoyed about. I don't see where the need for it to be challenged comes in at all.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    General rule of thumb: people that use the term 'third world' have never travelled outside of the first world.

"LOL, my 80-something year old mother is lying on a trolley in the corridor of a hospital with a screen around her while she contacts MRSA but at least the GAA and the FAI still get money from the government, right?"

Waste of time and vital money sending those no-hopers over to France to inevitably lose horribly. Anyone supporting this utter waste should be embarrassed.

May as well have taken the cash involved and set fire to it in the middle of O'Connell St. and invited all the slack-jaws to spectate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

While I'm not paying too much attention to it, I prefer the Irish fans to be getting the "they're awesome!" reputation rather than the sort of reputation the Russians are getting (based on the actions of 150 raging assholes that seem to want to get their team kicked out).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm off to Cabinteely's ground on Friday. I'll put up some tweets here and send some videos to joe.ie for everybody to look at.

joe.ie will be delighted I'd say.

Lol. If only they would, the sheep might flock to league of Ireland grounds en massse around the country.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Best one for me so far has been 'Irish fans help elderly man back to his feet'.

Video was of said elderly man, clearly a local (wasn't wearing an Irish jersey) on the shoulders of an Irish supporter. Video didn't catch the start, but I'm guessing the elderly French man didn't plead with him to let him up on his shoulders. Cue drunk stumble, and old man falls off the shoulders of the drunk Irish man face down on the grass.

And the surrounding lads are hailed as "the greatest fans in the world" because they helped an elderly man back to his feet :rolleyes:. And yes it was hashtagged bestfansintheworld or something similar.

The fans out in France aren't innocently going about their business and being tagged the world's greatest fans by the Irish media sitting at the desks in Dublin. They're ALL on social media, keeping an eye on their title, and all with phones in hand waiting to capture the next #bestfansever moment, so that they can post it somewhere and get their 15 minutes of fame.

Go off. Have a laugh. Enjoy the football and the atmosphere. Don't make a show of yourselves or your country, but Jesus, put the phones away!!

... put the phones away!!

But how would anyone know we went and did a thing then?

BANTER! Look at how fun and crazy i am! Please pay attention to me, i'm great craic i am! PINTS!?!?!?!

Irish people never get past trying to impress the cool kids in secondary school. They can be in their 40s/50s and they'll still keep trying to do it.

"Event junkies" is a fabulous description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Exactly! The comments underneath these videos on social media, of which there are many, are all "so proud to be Irish!" and worse still "other countries could learn from us!" How smug and self-fellating. And other countries don't need to learn from us. The fans over there are being polite and practising civil obedience. Big woop. It's setting the bar low to be congratulating ourselves on this stuff. And anyone who makes this point under those stories on social media is rounded on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Irish people never get past trying to impress the cool kids in secondary school. They can be in their 40s/50s and they'll still keep trying to do it.
    What nationality are you?

Two Tone wrote: »
    What nationality are you?

Irish.

The last notable thing we did was the same sex marriage referendum win. You know, something that actually matters in real life that we should care about.

Got a bit weepy that day despite being a grown man but it was something we should be proud of because it actually matters unlike some twats chasing a ball around a field on their way to an inevitable drubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

I don't disagree with you about the silliness of the way the fans (and their fans) are going on, but I dislike this "The Irish" stuff from Irish people.

• Advertisement

Two Tone wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you about the silliness of the way the fans (and their fans) are going on, but I dislike this "The Irish" stuff from Irish people.

I use the term "the Irish" because it seems that we as a nation can only get enthused about trivialities such as sport and having a good time all of the time.

There's a lot of ****ed up things in this country that people should be out in force about but they'd sooner direct their energy into traipsing around worshipping people doing irrelevant nonsense than directing their efforts to things that matter.

Have a country worth being proud of and then you can have all the inflatable hammers and leprechaun beards you want whilst you watch us bomb out of yet another international tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

NIMAN wrote: »

I don't think that one is cringeworthy really.

Waste of time and vital money sending those no-hopers over to France to inevitably lose horribly. Anyone supporting this utter waste should be embarrassed.

I don't doubt that the FAI benefit from sort of grant or relief but are you suggesting that our soccer team is in some way funded by the tax-payer? Have you any details? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Maireadio wrote: »
    Exactly! The comments underneath these videos on social media, of which there are many, are all "so proud to be Irish!" and worse still "other countries could learn from us!" How smug and self-fellating. And other countries don't need to learn from us.

all this self-adulation is nauseating.. how about the swedes, the welsh, the swiss, the begians, the spanish etc etc they're also behaving themselves and having the craic..why should our fans be singled out as something special

i'm convinced that some irish fans think that the whole world revolves around them

fryup wrote: »

all this self-adulation is nauseating.. how about the swedes, the welsh, the swiss, the begians, the spanish etc etc they're also behaving themselves and having the craic..why should our fans be singled out as something special

i'm convinced that some irish fans think that the whole world revolves around them

It's not just self-adulation. Go on Facebook and you'll see plenty of stuff being reposted from various outlets around the world, in various different languages, all detailing how our fans are getting on. The British media are also regularly commenting on how celebratory and well-behaved the Irish fans are when abroad. So it's not just an Irish media thing.

Also, how do you know what way the Spanish, Swedish, Swiss and Belgian media are covering their travelling fans? I was in Spain in 08 and in 2012 and every second clip on TV was of beautiful looking Spanish women smiling and waving flags. Maybe every county thinks their own fans are the best in the world, and so what if they do.

I appreciate that people feel inundated with the amount of material coming their way, but I guess that's the price we have to pay for being glued to screens 24/7.

I suggest a good book and a low-lit lamp. We'll let you know when it's over and you can get back to worrying about whistleblowers and water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Pickpocket wrote: »
    . So it's not just an Irish media thing.

Here is a good example...from CNN.

"Irish fans out of control- in the most delightful way"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Winterlong wrote: »

Barf!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭brian_7070

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Just seen the latest one - Irish fans singing a lullaby to a baby on a train. What do they want? To become 'famous' by getting the video to go viral, appear on Big Brother and then get a book deal on how they serenaded a baby on the train in France? It is almost vomit inducing at this stage the way Irish fans are trying to outdo each other on how 'sound' they are.

Advertisement