Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just seen the latest one - Irish fans singing a lullaby to a baby on a train. It is almost vomit inducing at this stage the way Irish fans are trying to outdo each other on how 'sound' they are. What do they want...To become 'famous' by getting the video to go viral, appear on Big Brother and then get a book deal on how they serenaded a baby on the train in France?

I was in London to watch a match in January, on the tube back to the hotel, Blackburn Rover fans did the exact same thing as the Irish fans (singing lullabies to a little child) and there wasn't a mention of it, what the Irish fans are doing now, has been countless times before by different fans of different nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Just seen the latest one - Irish fans singing a lullaby to a baby on a train. It is almost vomit inducing at this stage the way Irish fans are trying to outdo each other on how 'sound' they are. What do they want...To become 'famous' by getting the video to go viral, appear on Big Brother and then get a book deal on how they serenaded a baby on the train in France?

I think it's hilarious to be honest. The whole world already thinks we're mad hatters and nice fellas, so why not just go full on Borat and give them what they want.

I do admit that there seems to be a lack of irony on display. They honestly do appear to be trying to outdo each other with their soundness. But it's still funny and ultimately harmless.

siblers wrote: »
    I was in London to watch a match in January, on the tube back to the hotel, Blackburn Rover fans did the exact same thing as the Irish fans (singing lullabies to a little child) and there wasn't a mention of it, what the Irish fans are doing now, has been countless times before by different fans of different nationalities.

Yeah, when it's done by supporters of a has-been football club from a league that nobody gives a toss about, then people don't care. But when it's done during the massively publicised UEFA European Championship, held once every four years, then it gets reposted on a handful of websites.

Oh that outrage. The sheer bloody unfairness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mind you, the more good publicity the Irish fans over there get now, the worse the backlash will be if one drunk idiot does something awful. Same was the fans over there are "representing Ireland", that one guy would represent everyone because the media outlets have decided that it's the Irish fans that are the interesting ones this time around.

Still, it's not happened yet and hopefully it won't. And really, isn't it nicer to have the fan-stories coming out of this Euros being funny, silly and generally good-natured rather than the media attention focussed on the Russian gang or hooliganism? Dunno about everyone else, but I prefer people (of whichever country, just happens that the European media have chosen the Irish to be the darlings for now) outdoing each other to be decent than trying to outdo each other in being hooligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Pickpocket wrote: »
    It's not just self-adulation. Go on Facebook and you'll see plenty of stuff being reposted from various outlets around the world, in various different languages, all detailing how our fans are getting on. The British media are also regularly commenting on how celebratory and well-behaved the Irish fans are when abroad. So it's not just an Irish media thing.

Also, how do you know what way the Spanish, Swedish, Swiss and Belgian media are covering their travelling fans? I was in Spain in 08 and in 2012 and every second clip on TV was of beautiful looking Spanish women smiling and waving flags. Maybe every county thinks their own fans are the best in the world, and so what if they do.

It is a media thing and it is patronising bull***".

This line gives you away.

'How well behaved the Irish fans are"

How well behaved are our rugby or cricket or GAA fans.

Do you hear teports in the media,as to their behaviour after a rugby orl cricket wotld cup,or an all Ireland final?

No.

The facts of the matter are,that the vast majority of any fans,from any sport behave like the Irish do,.

And to be honest the coverage of the goody two shoes Irish fans by sections of the media,is nauseating,patronsing and embarrassing.

Irish soccer fans have a fine reputation since the time of Giles and Hand,away from home.

It was built on the simple facts that they supported the team and enjoyed the experience,win or lose.

And this was way before we qualified for any tournament,and at a time when supporting the Irish team was not the done thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

It's not just self-adulation. Go on Facebook and you'll see plenty of stuff being reposted from various outlets around the world, in various different languages, all detailing how our fans are getting on.

I'm sure there are stories about other fan groups too.

gladrags wrote: »
    It is a media thing and it is patronising bull***".

This line gives you away.

'How well behaved the Irish fans are"

How well behaved are our rugby or cricket or GAA fans.

Do you hear teports in the media,as to their behaviour after a rugby orl cricket wotld cup,or an all Ireland final?

No.

The facts of the matter are,that the vast majority of any fans,from any sport behave like the Irish do,.

And to be honest the coverage of the goody two shoes Irish fans by sections of the media,is nauseating,patronsing and embarrassing.

Irish soccer fans have a fine reputation since the time of Giles and Hand,away from home.

It was built on the simple facts that they supported the team and enjoyed the experience,win or lose.

And this was way before we qualified for any tournament,and at a time when supporting the Irish team was not the done thing.

Exactly. But it's not just an Irish media thing. The global football media have nominated us as darlings of the tournament, for one reason or another.

I think it's hilarious to be honest. The whole world already thinks we're mad hatters and nice fellas, so why not just go full on Borat and give them what they want.

I do admit that there seems to be a lack of irony on display. They honestly do appear to be trying to outdo each other with their soundness. But it's still funny and ultimately harmless.

I want my Irish blokes being portrayed as towering man-gods; veiny, triumphants lads in their hands, not "harmless", undignified "nice fellas". :(:(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Maireadio wrote: »
    I want my Irish blokes being portrayed as towering man-gods, veiny, triumphants lads in their hands, not "harmless", undignified "nice fellas". :(:(:pac:

Have you met many Irish men? :pac:

Maireadio wrote: »
    I want my Irish blokes being portrayed as towering man-gods; veiny, triumphants lads in their hands, not "harmless", undignified "nice fellas". :(:(:pac:

Well then you may start watching the rugby which is completely soaked in those alpha male pheromones, although the 'nice fella' tag is king in that sport as well.

• Advertisement

Have you met many Irish men? :pac:

No. :(:(:(

The global football media have nominated us as darlings of the tournament, for one reason or another.

Have they? You referring to L'Equipe? Marca? Gazzetta dello Sport?

I'd be surprised that serious football media outlets are nominating "darlings of the tournament" at all. It sounds like the clickbait rubbish engaged in by nonsense outlets like Joe.ie. It would be...disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Surely we are nailed on to get the two in a row of best fans award, how many other countries can say that :) #undisputed champs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah, when it's done by supporters of a has-been football club from a league that nobody gives a toss about, then people don't care. But when it's done during the massively publicised UEFA European Championship, held once every four years, then it gets reposted on a handful of websites.

Oh that outrage. The sheer bloody unfairness of it all.

I've enjoyed the coverage and behaviour of the Irish fans but when people start acting like Irish fans are only capable of such acts (and i'm basing this off of comments made by Irish people and not the media) then it gets a bit silly.

I'd be surprised that serious football media outlets are nominating "darlings of the tournament" at all. It sounds like the clickbait rubbish engaged in by nonsense outlets like Joe.ie. It would be...disappointing.

CNN, apparently!

No, I never said dedicated serious football media outlets. The Guardian/Observer in particular have been fawning over us in one or two articles that I've read, so that kinda thing.

Yes, there's a lot of clickbait but based on what i've seen online Ireland have been designated the good-time Charlie's of this tournament by a lot of the media outlets that are covering the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Some Irish lads need to go over there and get arrested for something to provide a bit of balance. I know it will shatter our international reputation which will mean thousands of jobs will be lost in the tourism sector and foreign direct investment will completely dry up overnight with multinationals leaving our shores. But it'll be worth it for the media cringefest to come to a shuddering halt. Please somebody stop the media cringefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Much like the Irish banter I have now also become very bored of this thread, I think it's ran it's course, time to unfollow, take care folks.See yis on the flippity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The brother rang me on whatsapp yesterday morning from France looking for a 'loan of a couple of hundred quid'. He was telling me that the whole thing was 'savage craic' but that the price of beer would 'fûckin' fleece ya'.

I told him to sling his hook and that it would teach him a valuable lesson in how to budget. His plea that he has €23 to last him for 5 days didn't wash with me. He also used the excuse that he has to look after his friend Wheelbarrow, who fell into a fountain in Lille and broke his wrist. Again, falling on deaf ears.

The whole thing just sounds dull and tedious at this stage. A two week bender by the beer belly and sunburn brigade.

I'm a bit conflicted on this. On one hand, of course it's great that these people are out there being nice, having fun and not letting the country down by getting into fights etc. They are on their holidays, and can do what they like.

On the other hand, it's all so......limiting. It plays up to an international perception of us as a country that is only there for the craic, and the actual football comes a distant second. Whether we win, lose or draw almost seems besides the point. 'Having the craic' seems to involve drinking, shouting and jostling for social media attention. This may also be the case for other countries, I don't know.

And I am sorry for this cliche, but it would be great if even 10% of them came to LOI matches every week :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The brother rang me on whatsapp yesterday morning from France looking for a 'loan of a couple of hundred quid'. He was telling me that the whole thing was 'savage craic' but that the price of beer would 'fûckin' fleece ya'.

I told him to sling his hook and that it would teach him a valuable lesson in how to budget. His plea that he has €23 to last him for 5 days didn't wash with me. He also used the excuse that he has to look after his friend Wheelbarrow, who fell into a fountain in Lille and broke his wrist. Again, falling on deaf ears.

The whole thing just sounds dull and tedious at this stage. A two week bender by the beer belly and sunburn brigade.
    You've a blood relative in the beer belly and sunburn brigade? I'm shocked AND appalled. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Are you Pete Mitchell now?

HensVassal wrote: »
    Are you Pete Mitchell now?

Phil Mitchell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

You've a blood relative in the beer belly and sunburn brigade? I'm shocked AND appalled. :D

And a stoner. Lets never forget that he is a stoner too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Von Bismarck is the Hyacinth Bucket of his family

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Whatever happened to "What goes on tour, stays on tour".

The way it is now, Anto's wife is likely to know that Anto has scored before he is sober enough to realise he has scored himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Phil Mitchell?

Yeah...that guy. Mixed him up with Pete Beale, another cockney sourpuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I was wondering which one of the auld Keanes was coming on when Robbie and Roy were chatting on the sideline vs Belgium. Wrong one came on at least the other one would have nailed someone! Robbie was useless when he was young and fit, he was there so fecking long hanging around the box he had to score so many.
    We are a ****ing joke team with journeymen and only made it cos Scotland ****ed up and it has been expanded etc.
    The fans nonsense is sickening too, even they must be sick of this rubbish too, waste of money.

Oh gawd, that video of Ireland fans lullabying the baby on the train autoplayed on my FB newsfeed as a good friend shared it. I shut it off after about ten seconds but that was long enough to see fans shushing everyone around a baby that was wide awake and alert. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It's so cringe! Apparently we're "great craic" and "the best fans in the world". This only seems to be coming from Irish sources, Irish media and Irish websites though. The lads singing lullabys to the baby on the train was the last straw for me. It's all so fake and over the top.

Advertisement