Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

It's so cringe! Apparently we're "great craic" and "the best fans in the world". This only seems to be coming from Irish sources, Irish media and Irish websites though. The lads singing lullabys to the baby on the train was the last straw for me. It's all so fake and over the top.

Especially as the child was wide awake. They're not like cats, lads, they don't need to sleep 20 hours a day! :Pac:

Much like the Irish banter I have now also become very bored of this thread, I think it's ran it's course, time to unfollow, take care folks.See yis on the flippity.

You may have a point. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Maireadio wrote: »
    Especially as the child was wide awake. They're not like cats, lads, they don't need to sleep 20 hours a day! :Pac:
    There's not much point singing a lullaby to a baby that's asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's so cringe! Apparently we're "great craic" and "the best fans in the world". This only seems to be coming from Irish sources, Irish media and Irish websites though. The lads singing lullabys to the baby on the train was the last straw for me. It's all so fake and over the top.

The French media are saying that the Irish fans are the best. (I've seen pieces on France 2 and on Canal Plus).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Haha I know and the shushing!!! wtf? The parents must have felt so uncomfortable. It was so awkward. Couldnt watch the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Breaking News

The Irish fans have brokered a peace deal between English and Russian hooligans.

Speaking from their now permanent camp in France, The Green Cross, they said that they are happy to help both set of fans have the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The French media are saying that the Irish fans are the best. (I've seen pieces on France 2 and on Canal Plus).

Yeah I saw something on the French buzzfeed too but honestly most of the praise is coming from Irish media.

El Chapo wrote: »
    There's not much point singing a lullaby to a baby that's asleep.

My point being that an awake baby doesn't necessarily want to go back to sleep. It was being held in its father lap, not its buggy and was looking around. They were just clamouring to find something "sound" to do. Put it this way, I've used public transport a lot and never have I seen anyone being asked to stay quiet because there was a baby present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Woe betide anyone that says "I don't like football". Apparently I'm a dry****e for not wanting to go drinking lukewarm Fosters in some ****e bar and watch a sport I have zero interest in.

You'd have to pay me at least a four-figure sum to go to the tournament, but I will say fair dues to the fans in France for conducting themselves as ordinary, decent human beings. Even though I have zero interest, it makes a change to actually read something positive in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I live in Bordeaux. Go visit sudouest.fr, the primary regional news source. Literally every single article about the Irish over here is gushing about how great they've been. Read all the comments from the Bordelais beneath; every one of them is talking about what a wonderful time they've had with the Irish this weekend, how they dont want them to leave. Some are even talking about organising trips to Ireland based on the back of what they've experienced.

I have been here over a year and I've never seen the city so lit. Everyone was having a wonderful time. There was a great sense of comradery between the Irish and the French. Everyone was looking after each other and I didnt see a single moments trouble. Sincerely.

It wasnt that we were just behaved.. we brought a sense of festivity to the city. So many songs, so many laughs. The French didnt stop smiling. Being here for the Euros I've seen all of the teams pass through the city and the buzz has been nothing like this for any other nationality. Though the Welsh came close ;)

That may be 'self-congratulating', but when I see hundreds of comments from the French on Facebook telling us to please come back as soon as possible, it feels more like pride.

• Advertisement

LunarSea wrote: »
    Woe betide anyone that says "I don't like football". Apparently I'm a dry****e for not wanting to go drinking lukewarm Fosters in some ****e bar and watch a sport I have zero interest in.

I was at a barbecue on Saturday where most people present cared little about Ireland's disastrous result. We should have invited you along. :pac:

I was at a barbecue on Saturday where most people present cared little about Ireland's disastrous result. We should have invited you along. :pac:

Sounds good! Did they lose? I literally have no idea what's happening.

In fact, I'm putting off my haircut until they get knocked out so I can avoid "did you watch the match", then sit in silence for 15 minutes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

In fact, I'm putting off my haircut until they get knocked out so I can avoid "did you watch the match", then sit in silence for 15 minutes :pac:

Now that's cringeworthy and embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

christ, whatever about the debate on Irish fans in this thread, your attempts at wit, humour, insult or whatever it's supposed to be are shockingly poor.

christ, whatever about the debate on Irish fans in this thread, your attempts at wit, humour, insult or whatever it's supposed to be are shockingly poor.

:confused: I'm reading his/her posts as sincere. In fact, his/her first post defended the Irish fans somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What if I told you that he was waving his shoe as he typed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah I saw something on the French buzzfeed too but honestly most of the praise is coming from Irish media.

Not so.
    I'm following the French media and there's little bits about the Irish fans all over.

The lullaby thing for example : not Buzzfeed.
    2 more articles from the same source on the top right of the pic.

Subtitle to this article :
    Les supporters de l'équipe d'Irlande sont vraiment les meilleurs du monde...Franchement, s’ils veulent rester tout l’été, on les héberge, les supporters irlandais.

"The Irish team supporters really are the best in the world. Honestly, if they want to stay the whole summer, we'll find these Irish supporters a place to stay. "

http://www.20minutes.fr/sport/football/1869031-20160620-video-euro-2016-supporters-irlandais-chantent-berceuse-bebe-bordeaux?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

The cringe is only in Ireland. French people love them.

Allinall wrote: »
    Now that's cringeworthy and embarrassing.

It's fringeworthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'm expecting to read later today that Irish fans have rescued a French family from a burning building....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are "we" Eurofan champions of the world yet?

• Advertisement

What on earth are you on about? The only thing that is shockingly poor is your reading comprehension, my post wasn't an attempt at any of those things. Genuinely, I have no idea of any of Ireland's scores, already answered to "no I haven't been following the football", "no I don't feel any pride as I'm not the one playing for Ireland", no, if I watch a few games in the pub I won't develop a sudden interest" and "no I am not a dry****e for not watching and yes I have plenty of other hobbies".

As for my haircut comment, I go twice a year and the barber I go to is great, but he's into his football and will talk about it. I have NO interest.

Again, I have zero interest in football but have no qualms against it (as pointed out I was praising the fans' behavious and saying it was good to read something positive in the news for a change). I just don't like having it constantly in my face. I'm paraphrasing the quote a bit, but "I have nothing against football but I'd rather not spend 2 hours of my life watching 22 millionaires chasing a sack of air around a field" sums it up for me.

^^^^^

Yes, Lunarsea, I have no idea how people took your comments badly. :confused:

^^^^^

Yes, Lunarsea, I have no idea how people took your comments badly. :confused:

I'm of the opinion that there's a few reasons; some people are displaying an insecurity/inferiority complex, others may have been frowned upon in the past for liking football, others are just petty minded about these things where it seems to be "if you don't like the exact same things as I do you are wrong".

Again, me saying I don't like football isn't an attack on it or its fans, it's just a statement of my personal tastes. Thread title is asking if we are bored of it, as a non-fan I am very much bored of hearing about it - once again putting the emphasis on the fact that it's my own personal taste and I have nothing against it or anyone that enjoys it.

In fact I have a mate that travelled out to France earlier today - good for him that he's going to do something he really enjoys and that he's both secure and healthy enough to take a few days off work and head over. I'll ask him about the trip and whatnot but it doesn't mean I have to don a tricolour wig and sing Olé Olé in the shower.

(and for the record I'm a non-football fan that can explain the offside rule perfectly well - so I gave it a fair go before I decided it wasn't for me!)

I'm of the opinion that there's a few reasons; some people are displaying an insecurity/inferiority complex, others may have been frowned upon in the past for liking football, others are just petty minded about these things where it seems to be "if you don't like the exact same things as I do you are wrong".

Again, me saying I don't like football isn't an attack on it or its fans, it's just a statement of my personal tastes. Thread title is asking if we are bored of it, as a non-fan I am very much bored of hearing about it - once again putting the emphasis on the fact that it's my own personal taste and I have nothing against it or anyone that enjoys it.

In fact I have a mate that travelled out to France earlier today - good for him that he's going to do something he really enjoys and that he's both secure and healthy enough to take a few days off work and head over. I'll ask him about the trip and whatnot but it doesn't mean I have to don a tricolour wig and sing Olé Olé in the shower.

(and for the record I'm a non-football fan that can explain the offside rule perfectly well - so I gave it a fair go before I decided it wasn't for me!)

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Again, I've no idea what you are trying to put across, but whatever it is, it is piss poor. must try harder ;)

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I have no interest in Rugby. None. I couldn't name an Irish Rugby player. I don't know when they play. Wouldn't have a clue if they win, lose or draw. Don't know when tournaments are on. I heard Connaght won something a few weeks ago... Don't know what!

Why is it so unbelievable that someone might have a similar disinterest in football?!

Again, I've no idea what you are trying to put across, but whatever it is, it is piss poor. must try harder ;)

The lady needs to go back to school and learn to read in that case ;)

Thread title is "Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?" My answer - "yes".

You accuse me of allsorts.

You strike me as the type that gets a bit too precious about what other folk think of your "heroes", so whatever.

You strike me as the type that gets a bit too precious about what other folk think of your "heroes". Go cry into your ****ty pint of Tennants when your "heroes" invariably get dumped out of the competition.

You strike me as the type that gets a bit too precious about what other folk think of your "heroes". Go cry into your ****ty pint of Tennants when your "heroes" invariably get dumped out of the competition.

Have a read back on my other posts on this thread, I think the Irish fans over there are a bunch of drunken attention seeking clowns, the media attention and the ridiculous adulation for the fans annoys me...this is the crux of the thread, not your opinion on the sport in general, or the players.

If you want to get on to it as a sport, the players should be commended for representing their country, they will invariably get knocked out as you say but I don't wish that to happen for them or us as supporters, or any other nation in the competition. It's been a cracking tournament so far, its a shame you can't enjoy it but that's your choice, why are you here if you hate football? You can't tolerate some small talk with your barber about football but you are hear with long posts of hate filled waffle about football...head out for a stroll in the good weather and log off boards while we watch no? live and let live?

My issue is and always been with your posts on this thread is that they pretty incoherent rants which are off topic and I can't really understand if you are attempting, humour, insult, irony etc. It's just nonsense and seems to be just attention seeking...so there we are chum, no hard feelings eh?

where can you get Tennants by the way?

Have a read back on my other posts on this thread, I think the Irish fans over there are a bunch of drunken attention seeking clowns, the media attention and the ridiculous adulation for the fans annoys me...this is the crux of the thread, not your opinion on the sport in general, or the players.

If you want to get on to it as a sport, the players should be commended for representing their country, they will invariably get knocked out as you say but I don't wish that to happen for them or us as supporters, or any other nation in the competition. It's been a cracking tournament so far, its a shame you can't enjoy it but that's your choice, why are you here if you hate football? You can't tolerate some small talk with your barber about football but you are hear with long posts of hate filled waffle about football...head out for a stroll in the good weather and log off boards while we watch no? live and let live?

My issue is and always been with your posts on this thread is that they pretty incoherent rants which are off topic and I can't really understand if you are attempting, humour, insult, irony etc. It's just nonsense and seems to be just attention seeking...so there we are chum, no hard feelings eh?

where can you get Tennants by the way?

Incoherent? Off topic? Again, you need to go back and improve your reading comprehension - I answered a question posed by the title. Am I not allowed have an opinion about something because I'm not part of the "football or die" circlejerk?

Hate-filled waffle about football? Hyperbole of the highest order. I said I don't like it. Again, reading, get better at it. I don't care for the drunken shenanigans I'm seeing in town every time I go to get groceries, but it's to be expected out at the tournament. Whilst I don't want to go there I prefer to read about the fans enjoying themselves. Other fans seem content on wrecking the gaff and each other.

Anyway, this petty sniping bull**** that you are at (can't have a different opinion and discuss it here without being harangued over it) is precisely why I stopped using this place years ago, so why don't you go out and enjoy the weather and stop being such a tosser.

• Advertisement

This is so bizarre.

Advertisement