Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Yeah i'd rather they where like England and Russian fans because that would something to be proud of, no man said ever. Get over it people it's just people having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Wonzy wrote: »
    I'd say your Friday night is sitting at home knitting socks for yourself.

I know some people who have the time of their life coming into the pub at the same time every week, drinking pints and gin and tonics, and knitting away.

Don't diss the knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LorMal wrote: »
    I agree OP. In the minds of many Irish supporters, there appears to be a competition to be regarded as 'the best fans in the world'. Nobody else is remotely interested in competing.
    The attention seeking behaviour includes drunkenly hugging everyone to prove what lovable and cuddly leprechauns we are.
    Yes, it's far far better than the violence and racist taunting we see from some English and Russian fans - but can't we not just go and enjoy the football like the vast majority of countries supporters?
    Inane and stupid behaviour egged on by a sycophantic media who are just looking for any old story to fill the papers.

This is an absolutely stupid post. What do you mean by competition for best fans in the world no one cares about? This doesn't exist. As in irish fans don't try and be the best fans in the world. Who even says this? They go out and just act normal. It's just the way most irish people when they're away, drink and don't cause trouble.

The highlighted bit has the be the worst part of your post. What do you expect? Irish fans should sit in their hotels, go quietly to the game and go straight home? So the fúck what if they go for a beer and chat to locals and other fans? That's what they're supposed to do. Anyone who thinks the irish fans behaviour is stupid doesn't know what being a football fans is.
    Irish fans don't give a fúck about being the best fans and if people want to call them that, they don't give a fúck either. But arguing that they should be the most normal and low key fans in the tournament is absolutely idiotic.
    Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm sick of it OP.

Remember. If you are not joining in the mass self congratulatory circle jerk and cheerleading like every other one of the cheeky nandos , clap when the plane lands brigade you are a begrudger.

Counter debate is shouted down by the "Confused.com", "that'll do pig" , "sure it'd be rude not to" , click bait website subscribing disciple.

I have never seen a nation to pat itself on the back for being "sound" more than this one.

Crowd surfing blocking traffic, being a general pain in the arse is de rigeur , but sure it's all only banter.

I have my shoe off and held aloft as I type this, in solidarity with these extremely fun , enviable, morally incorruptable people.

I'm off to find a statue I can climb or a garden to urinate in , but don't persecute me, I have an inflatable hammer and am adorned in an ironic retro shamrock t-shirt .

#coybig

The world is a gutter

You sound like you'd be fun at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

It's so close-minded the way all the proles in this thread are assuming that because some people don't like football, beer, and the bants - that they have no fun - since obviously nothing else fun happens in the world besides those things.

I go to Alton Towers & take acid - at least once a year off-peak. It's the best rush ever - peaking when going 70mph on Nemesis. Did it in Legoland Windsor too. I take acid & go hiking in Glendalough for the day. I get stoned & go rock climbing. I get stoned & record music. Do you realise some people are into other stuff that's not the usual generic "lad" pastimes (footy, lager, cars, titty mags, bants, sun/package holidays, cheeky nandos, christenings, Mrs Browns Boys, The Script, whey hey!"), yeah?

"You don't like footy & pints? You much be a boring snotty hermit".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cienciano wrote: »
    This is an absolutely stupid post. What do you mean by competition for best fans in the world no one cares about? This doesn't exist. As in irish fans don't try and be the best fans in the world. Who even says this?

I thought at the end of the World Cup, or maybe the Euros, FIFA or UEFA give a "fan award."

Actually, I just Googled this, and wikipedia says there's a FIFA Fair Play Award.
    The FIFA Fair Play Award is a FIFA recognition of exemplary behaviour that promotes the spirit of fair play and compassion in association football around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Fair_Play_Award
    It's not a fan award, it's a general award that go to pretty much anything or anyone involved in football. It's a recognition and mark of respect. Irish fans have been awarded it, Celtic fans have been awarded it, the Northern Ireland football association has won it, the US and Iran have won it for sportsmanship in their world cup game despite huge political tension, and all football organisations supporting refugees have won it. So there kind of is an award, but it's not a competition.

Also, to the people saying only the Irish behave like this, the Northern Irish, Welsh and Swedish have all been pointed out by the media as fantastic fans making it a great event and they're behaving just like the Irish. I think the majority of the English, at this point want to behave just like the Irish and Welsh and Swedish, but a few nutbags got through, and they're being repeatedly attacked by the Russians. And Russia has just received a suspend disqualification from the tournament because of their fans behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's great to see, but joe and balls and the likes are milking it to the extreme, as they do to everything in fairness.
    Climbing on top of the French builders van was a bit stupid and I dare say had it been the English they'd have been called arrogant for doing so but the vast majority is well intentioned, they'll come back with lighter wallets and sore heads but at least the headaches will be from booze and not from a baton or boot to the head.

But the Irish lad bull fighting with the Swede was the best video I saw so far. Olé.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

It's so close-minded the way all the proles in this thread are assuming that because some people don't like football, beer, and the bants - that they have no fun - since obviously nothing else fun happens in the world besides those things.

I go to Alton Towers & take acid - at least once a year off-peak. It's the best rush ever - peaking when going 70mph on Nemesis. Did it in Legoland Windsor too. I take acid & go hiking in Glendalough for the day. I get stoned & go rock climbing. I get stoned & record music. Do you realise some people are into other stuff that's not the usual generic "lad" pastimes (footy, lager, cars, titty mags, bants, cheeky nandos, christenings, the script, whey hey!"), yeah?

Cool story bro. But you misunderstood my post. I didn't say it's lad banter or no banter.

Cool story bro. But you misunderstood my post. I didn't say it's lad banter or no banter.

Then explain your post. Who exactly are the "boring snotty keyboard hermits on boards" that you refer to? Because you strongly suggested there are 2 options when deciding who to send abroad: the "Irish football fans" or the "boring snotty keyboard hermits on boards".
    Ergo, people who are not football fans, must by default be boring snotty keyboard hermits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Superfans is right. Good call O.P.

Yesterday on the 24th minute of the match v Sweden our fans sang "stand up for the Ulstermen" in remembrance/solidarity for a young 24 yr old N.I. football fan,who sadly lost his life.

Could just as easily been one of our fans who , looking for no bother, met unfortunate circumstances.

Now our fans have a great well deserved reputation, the Scots fans are in competition with us (but,they didnae qualify) , and theN..i fans are trying to give us both a good run for the title. The Welsh are making a real race of it,and the English are being hampered by a loose (russian/french) horse in their attempts to join us.

I'd encourage all in that competition and let's leave the action on the pitch.

Thoughts and condolence to Darren Rodgers friends and relations from this R.O.I. fan.

R.I.P.

Can only English speaking people be great fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

We couldn't buy better publicity for Ireland™.

How many 100's of thousands of people are being interacted with, right now? In a positive way?

The next time Han and Sven, Pierre and Odette, or whoever ever ****ing else, says, "Right, family, where will we go on holiday?" what's the chances of the reply being, "Those Irish lads were right craic, lets go there!"?

Although, after the fans came back from Italia 90, we started getting notions, and suddenly Maxwell House wasn't good enough for us.

I don't give one fiddlers **** about football. I've tried to care, I've faked it, but I'm not a fan. But look, they're enjoying themselves, they're not causing any harm (hopefully), and as long as they don't end up being that person that you are just waiting on to leave, but they don't get the hint, you've cleaned everything up, but they're just sitting there, and you start talking about plans that you weren't that fussed on as though they were a matter of urgency, and they start another movie on Netflix, then let them at it.

They know we've next to no hope in winning, but gormless, smiling, hopeful head on yer man chanting "Shane Long!" as though if yer man is very, very good, and eat his dinner, and says please and thank you, then Santa will come, and give us a goal, in extra time, in the Final. And then he'll be brought to paradise, where there's girls in county colours as far as the eye can see.

Then explain your post. Who exactly are the "boring snotty keyboard hermits on boards" that you refer to? Because you strongly suggested there are 2 options when deciding who to send abroad: the "Irish football fans" or the "boring snotty keyboard hermits on boards".
    Ergo, people who are not football fans, much by default be boring snotty keyboard hermits.

Some leap there. I will try to break it down as best I can:

Group 1: Irish football fans
    Group 2: Snotty hermits
    Group 3: Cool Kenny & friends
    ....Group 1000: Elephant men

Group 1 are better representatives at major events than Group 2. Comparisons to Group 3 and others are not made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I go to Alton Towers & take acid - at least once a year off-peak. It's the best rush ever - peaking when going 70mph on Nemesis. Did it in Legoland Windsor too. I take acid & go hiking in Glendalough for the day. I get stoned & go rock climbing. I get stoned & record music.

All Hail The Acid Taker. If I'd known you were here I'd of used a fancy font...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

razorblunt wrote: »
    By the Irish lad bull fighting with the Swede was the best video I saw so far. Olé.

When you see things that (almost stilted in their staged nature) almost constantly on the net, you're struck by the thought that instead of social media simply reporting the narrative at these events, it's as if some nationalities actively use social media in order to perpetuate that narrative.

In the same way as the Russians consciously want to establish themselves in the hooligan firmament and the English want to do the Englander Abroad thing, it's like we get up out of bed over there and immediately get to work toiling on social media to be The Best Supporters In The World©

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

It's not necessarily a criticism of the people themselves as the media outlets that keep showing us footage under titles like, Look what amazing thing Irish fans are doing.

It's not necessarily a criticism of the people themselves as the media outlets that keep showing us footage under titles like, Look what amazing thing Irish fans are doing.

That's what most people are saying - including the OP. It's over-saturation & cringe-worthy pandering by the media that makes "the fans" annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Stop reading Joe.ie, balls.ie or tabloid newspapers. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That's what most people are saying - including the OP. It's over-saturation & cringe-worthy pandering by the media that makes "the fans" annoying.

Most?

I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

If our own people find it annoying I imagine the other fans do even more so. It shows how insecure we are and what an inferiority complex we have. Was the same in the match yesterday, Whelan knocking the ball out of play in stoppage time instead of making an attack. Coleman time wasting with 1 minute to play, happy for 1 point when we should have had 3. It distracts from the teams failings.

And even worse is supposed Irish football fans and people loving English football fans getting battered by the Russians, and blaming the English for it all. Build a bridge you clowns, childish in the extreme. The average English fan is no different to an Irish fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Some of the behavior has been a bit cringe worthy to be honest. I don't mind most of the videos, and good luck to the people there if that's what they want to do. I hope they enjoy themselves.

The first video I had a problem with was the Irish fans celebrating when the English conceded against Russia. I mean how many of these guys support those players week in week out, and then they go and celebrate them losing. I'm all for a bit of national rivalry, but that's just baffling.

The second was the young guy being interviewed, and saying something along the lines of "no it's all the English lads causing trouble, not us". I know he's probably trying to be funny, but this smugness definitely pervades among people/fans, and I'd much rather it died a death. Not to mention how lighthearted this smugness/attitude is in comparison to the horrific nature of some of the trouble.

The video of the "bullfighting" was very nice though. A bit of originality and creativity goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Cienciano wrote: »
    This is an absolutely stupid post. What do you mean by competition for best fans in the world no one cares about? This doesn't exist. As in irish fans don't try and be the best fans in the world. Who even says this? They go out and just act normal. It's just the way most irish people when they're away, drink and don't cause trouble.

The highlighted bit has the be the worst part of your post. What do you expect? Irish fans should sit in their hotels, go quietly to the game and go straight home? So the fúck what if they go for a beer and chat to locals and other fans? That's what they're supposed to do. Anyone who thinks the irish fans behaviour is stupid doesn't know what being a football fans is.
    Irish fans don't give a fúck about being the best fans and if people want to call them that, they don't give a fúck either. But arguing that they should be the most normal and low key fans in the tournament is absolutely idiotic.
    Rant over

Thanks for the feedback. A bit harsh but I can see what you mean. I don't expect the Irish fans to be 'the most low key fans in the tournament.'
    Can there not be a middle ground - like going to the match and then for a few drinks or a meal? Is it compulsary to get blotto?
    There is a glorification in the media of stupid childish attention seeking behaviour by many Irish fans. I am particularly talking about getting staggering drunk in city squares and the inane chants like 'shoes off the the boys in green' ad nauseum.
    You are right, much Too much focus on this by the media. The Indo is full of it every day. 'Irish fans are the most popular in the crowd zones' nonsense.
    The whole happy cuddly drunken leprechaun stereotype is an embarrassment - how about a bit of dignity?

Debil wrote: »
    The first video I had a problem with was the Irish fans celebrating when the English conceded against Russia. I mean how many of these guys support those players week in week out, and then they go and celebrate them losing.

Soccer fans aren't exactly the smartest though. They arbitrarily pick a random English premiership team when they're young, and then someone they're die-hard fans for life - when they're not even from Manchester or Liverpool (or wherever), and have no allegiance to the team or the city. And then they say "we" as if they play for them or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Soccer fans aren't exactly the smartest though. They arbitrarily pick a random English premiership team when they're young, and then someone they're die-hard fans for life - when they're not even from Manchester or Liverpool (or wherever), and have no allegiance to the team or the city. And then they say "we" as if they play for them or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Ok, so you just dislike football. Probably were picked last during PE as a kid. What are your hobbies? Apart from roller coasters and acid.

Ok, so you just dislike football. Probably were picked last during PE as a kid. What are your hobbies? Apart from roller coasters and acid.

Wasn't picked last, sorry - is that another thing that must have happened to everyone who dislikes soccer? They were all picked last in PE class - because that's the only explanation.

"What are your hobbies?"
    Job interview, is it? Or are you wondering how sad my life must be since football isn't part of it? I train in Kokoro MMA Club, used to train in Tae Kwon Do & Judo. Also do Rock Climbing, play Poker, play music.

That's about it - you? Football? Bants? Listening to the Script?

"Apart from roller coasters and acid."
    2 pretty amazing hobbies TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

It's a pity these great fans wouldn't turn up for the home games.

risteard7 wrote: »
    It's a pity these great fans wouldn't turn up for the home games.

Not enough of a bandwagon. They flew to Vegas too to see McGregor fight - pity they didn't know he was fighting in The Helix a few years earlier - would have been much cheaper, since they're such massive "fans".

Fans of bandwagons only, it seems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

The funny thing is the casual racism with a lot of fat Irish lads shouting YAYA YAYA KOLO KOLO as a black Parisian dances in the middle of them.

BTW so many of you take life to seriously. Who cares if they don't show up to watch Athlone, nothing says that a football league has to be like La Liga/EPL, Serie A, they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Athlone just have to exist within their means and for the people who DO support them. If people wanna have a laugh in France and using the Irish football team to do it so ****ing what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am not a hardcore soccer fan, but would love the opportunity to be in Paris. It just looks excellent and looks like mad craic

Wasn't picked last, sorry - is that another thing that must have happened to everyone who dislikes soccer? As well as being snotty hermits.

I train in Kokoro MMA Club in North Strand since 2009 - was training in Tae Kwon Do since I was 14. Do Rock Climbing, Poker, play music.

That's about it - you? Football? Bants?

"Apart from roller coasters and acid."
    2 pretty amazing hobbies TBH.

I thought I explained the hermit thing.

We have poker and playing music in common! And I watch MMA, but never participated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Essien wrote: »
    Remarkably well behaved in fact.

I've been in Paris for 3 days, seen possibly tens of thousands of Irish fans "after a long day of beer".

In that time I've seen just 1 fight, which was started by an English man spitting on someone.

Have worked in pubs so id hate to be dealing with these people in france

Advertisement