Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Arghus wrote: »
    Look no further than yourself when talking of a failure in reading comprehension, because I mentioned your name literally nowhere in that post.

Then who were you referencing because I don't see who you could be. Or did you just come here to snipe? And people are questioning why I posted in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maireadio wrote: »
    Then who were you referencing because I don't see who you could be. Or did you just come here to snipe? And people are questioning why I posted in the thread?

I wasn't referring to any one person or poster in particular. Just giving my observation after the unbridled joy of tonight.

There have been people posting in the thread to the effect about how they can't stand the Euros, are sick of the hype and a few have even said they hate football. I've also heard such sentiments expressed by people in my life outside of boards.

So, I can assume that people exist out there for whom tonight's result my have meant very, very little to them. Even worse, in my view, there are those who may have even actively disliked Ireland getting a result tonight, because it means a stay of execution for all that "banter" that troubles them.

Quite a few of those same people have being posting here on the thread, so, that considered, I figured this would make as good a place as any in which to plonk my pronouncements. I could have shouted it at some ducks on my way home, but considering that the exact people I wanted to express it to were likely to be right here, I felt it appropriate.

It's less a case of sniping; more a case of genuine sympathy. I was speaking generally, not specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

* must... resist... posting... links... to French ... feedback * :D

Anyway, so interestingly, the first feedback I see tonight from a French media (not Buzzfeed level now, downright proper press level) says : "their supporters are great, their players not so great".

I think this'll be the French position for the rest of the week ;)

I'm going to be in France for the match (not in Lyon), with my Irish hubby and kids. Awkward !

What will I do ? Who will I support ?

Go with your heart, it's your only job. Forget what head says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Anyway, so interestingly, the first feedback I see tonight from a French media (not Buzzfeed level now, downright proper press level) says : "their supporters are great, their players not so great".

I'm going to be in France for the match (not in Lyon), with my Irish hubby and kids. Awkward !

I have the same dilemma. My French husband is already doing the patronising "Ah sure at least ye qualified, and now we're sure at least one of our teams is through to the last 8"
    Gutted I'll miss the match, I'll be on a TGV for the entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

You could say the same thing about all the teams in Euro 16,and many of the prevous wotld cups ot Euro finals.

The supporters are grand/great or fine,but the teams are poor.

Irish supporters. are no exception.

Higgins comments on the fans behaviour and the usual ambassador sh***,is typical of the gombeen notion that Irish supporters are different from their fellow human beings,when it comes to behaving normally.

BTW,I had the honour of attending the Euro 88 finals and Italia 90,and many other away from home games.

And truth be told,the leprecaun behaviour is very tedious and a sad caricature of normal supporters,who flocked to away games for decades,without so much eejitry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I wasn't referring to any one person or poster in particular. Just giving my observation after the unbridled joy of tonight.

There have been people posting in the thread to the effect about how they can't stand the Euros, are sick of the hype and a few have even said they hate football. I've also heard such sentiments expressed by people in my life outside of boards.

So, I can assume that people exist out there for whom tonight's result my have meant very, very little to them. Even worse, in my view, there are those who may have even actively disliked Ireland getting a result tonight, because it means a stay of execution for all that "banter" that troubles them.

Quite a few of those same people have being posting here on the thread, so, that considered, I figured this would make as good a place as any in which to plonk my pronouncements. I could have shouted it at some ducks on my way home, but considering that the exact people I wanted to express it to were likely to be right here, I felt it appropriate.

It's less a case of sniping; more a case of genuine sympathy. I was speaking generally, not specifically.

Oi! leave the ducks alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Looks like a lot of the regulars up in here finally discovered how to switch off their electronic devices

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Boards is a place which attracts people who were never the cool kid, its somewhere they feel comfortable expressing themselves as opposed to real life where they never felt listened to.

These people often don't like seeing the banter that we are discussing because it reminds them of their own unpopularity and feeling of not fitting in.

Translation: "Look at the dry****es who hate the craic!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Listing to RTE1 here in Portugal with a few of my workmates from brazil, Portugal morocco England, And there amazed in a nice way at the coverage the win is getting, I said wait until you see when we beat France, yup yup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fryup wrote: »
    like being in a room full of Hectors

"sure aren't i the great craic" ..no your a pain in the hole now go away :mad:

yep, :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

I have the same dilemma. My French husband is already doing the patronising "Ah sure at least ye qualified, and now we're sure at least one of our teams is through to the last 8"
    Gutted I'll miss the match, I'll be on a TGV for the entirety.

They don't have a wifi connection? Listen to it on the radio if the wifi doesn't allow streaming video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

If you couldn't feel joy when Robbie Brady popped up there tonight with that goal then, honestly, I feel genuinely sorry for you.

And if some lad that you have nothing in common with, (aside from coming from the same slab of rock and dirt) knocking a ball into a net is what you define as "joy", then I feel deeply sorry for you.

(you see this is precisely the type of hyperbole that seems to be hardwired in football fans that I can't stand. You enjoyed it, great, you don't have to go running around the place telling everyone about it like a 3 year old).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LunarSea wrote: »
    And if some lad that you have nothing in common with, (aside from coming from the same slab of rock and dirt) knocking a ball into a net is what you define as "joy", then I feel deeply sorry for you.

(you see this is precisely the type of hyperbole that seems to be hardwired in football fans that I can't stand. You enjoyed it, great, you don't have to go running around the place telling everyone about it like a 3 year old).

And you don't have to go running around the place telling football fans that their joy is something to be sorry about. And yet, here you are.

I felt the hyperbole was justified, after witnessing such an outpouring of collective happiness between people in those moments, and in the afterglow post-game.

Honestly, it was beautiful. It's only a game of course, but it was a pretty transcendent moment to be caught up in. For just one moment to see everyone - everyone - around you agog with delerium and disbelief, crying, laughing and unmistakably estatic felt pretty profound in it's own way: we don't get many moments like it. For the rest of the day you could catch another person's eye and just say "YESSS!" and they'd know exactly what you meant - it's nice to feel that we're all in something together. And that something is good. A wonderful time.

And you don't have to go running around the place telling football fans that their joy is something to be sorry about. And yet, here you are.

I don't have to, but I wanted to.

That's another thing I find a lot with of football fans, they tend to be precious flowers about the whole endeavour. I know one guy in particular, if you insulted Liverpool he'd be just as upset as if you smacked his elderly mother in the face with a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That's another thing I find a lot with of football fans, they tend to be precious flowers about the whole endeavour. I know one guy in particular, if you insulted Liverpool he'd be just as upset as if you smacked his elderly mother in the face with a brick.
    For somebody who doesn't like football, your spending a lot of time posting about it. Did somebody's ball get kicked out of the moon's gravitational pull when they were a kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There are some very sad people in this thread. A fantastic moment for Ireland last night and still some feel the need to bitch and complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Olé olé olé olé

Olé Olé Olé Olé

OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian_80

hahahaha....."precious flower"..........Wimbledon starts soon pal, maybe hold off for a thread that suits you a little better.

I know you, the guy who always got picked last for sports.......pulled a sickie the day of PE...i'm on the money there, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I don't care about football. I really don't. I tried to fake it for ages, but I'll now happily admit, I just don't give a fudge.

However, if football is your thing, bang on ahead, and don't hurt yourself.

Like others, I'm a touch sick of the bandwagon, bantersaurus rex crowd, but when I saw the video of the Irish fans in Lille trainstation last night, I couldn't help but smile, and think it would probably be a lot of fun to be there.

There's lots of things I like that others don't, and yes, I'll take some flak from people about it, and there's things that others like that I don't. But it'd be horrid boring if we all liked the same thing, the same amount, all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think here is the problem you think (or in your mind you know:rolleyes:) you are far superior to all of us beer guzzling layabout football fans. Football fans do not to be precious when arguing about football I say not 1 fan from a team exept I say Leicester fans has not been critical about things there team does. You should go into the forum before its closed to you and check all the threads.

NOW What they have a problem with is people like you who think they are far superior to them spouting crap he probably spotted on some website to try and belittle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

> Make an obvious troll comment like "if your definition of joy is some guy scoring... then I feel deeply sorry for you".
    > Someone protests.
    > "Hurrr there's another thing about football fans, how they get so uptight and insulted, precious flowers".

You realize and understand that you're a troll right? You at least have the self-awareness to see that you're just coming up with the most insulting words you can think of just for effect, ie. the epitome of trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Suas11 wrote: »
    There are some very sad people in this thread. A fantastic moment for Ireland last night and still some feel the need to bitch and complain about it.

This comes to mind about those who like to bitch n' complain about it...

gwNtEda.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Zero interest myself.
    Didn't watch yesterday and won't watch it on Sunday.
    Each to their own though.

Ian_80 wrote: »
    hahahaha....."precious flower"..........Wimbledon starts soon pal, maybe hold off for a thread that suits you a little better.

I know you, the guy who always got picked last for sports.......pulled a sickie the day of PE...i'm on the money there, right?

Gold medals for sprinting, regular in the basketball team, I was my school team's first choice goalie, used to cycle about 300 miles a week in my college days, thanks!

Here it is in full flow again, people seem to think that anyone that doesn't like football has a superiority complex. I don't. Some of my best mates are mad for it. But they can keep it to themselves and don't feel the need to be falling around the place steamboats and wrecking people's heads because some lads that had an Irish grandparent had a lucky game.

Again, the thrad title poses the question are you bored of the banter. My answer is yes! Banter like "it was a joyus moment for Ireland", yeah that's the kind of **** I'm so bored of hearing. A joyus moment? Did we find a cure cancer? Did we solve the homeless crisis? Have we bounced back from the recession? Oh, wait, no it was some lad scored a goal and won a football match.

That's the hyperbole that makes the sport (and some of the fans) so cringey and hard to listen to.

Here it is in full flow again, people seem to think that anyone that doesn't like football has a superiority complex. I don't. Some of my best mates are mad for it. But they can keep it to themselves and don't feel the need to be falling around the place steamboats and wrecking people's heads because some lads that had an Irish grandparent had a lucky game.

Again, the thrad title poses the question are you bored of the banter. My answer is yes! Banter like "it was a joyus moment for Ireland", yeah that's the kind of **** I'm so bored of hearing. A joyus moment? Did we find a cure cancer? Did we solve the homeless crisis? Have we bounced back from the recession? Oh, wait, no it was some lad scored a goal and won a football match.

That's the hyperbole that makes the sport (and some of the fans) so cringey and hard to listen to.

I don't think to simply not like football is indicative of a superiority complex.

I do think that to not like it and paint the fans, largely, with one brush, as idiots is indicative of a superiority complex.

I think to denigrate that sense of happiness that people felt after yesterdays match, for no real reason, to paint it as just nothing really, to reduce it down to a most meaninglessly materialistic context - is indicative of a superiority complex.

Yes, people can lose the run of themselves and, maybe, by describing a good football result "as a joyous day for Ireland" you are leaving yourself open to the backlash against the hype.

But it was joyous. Is the only joy we can legitimately experience is for something like finding the cure for cancer?.. Or could that be hyperbole from you?

I watched it in a friends house, with about twenty other people, and we all celebrated wildly when that goal went in and felt damn good about it. And you can rest assured there were people watching it in groups like that up and down the country - publicly and privately, young and old, drunk and sober - who all for those few moments all felt together in happiness. How often does that happen? Does it matter what caused it, really? Does it make it less meaningful? How often, if you were to take a poll of the measure of people's emotions at a given moment, would the general feeling be one of great satisfaction? It was then.

So, yeah, a joyous day for Ireland. It's overblown, somewhat, but there isn't really another true way to describe it. Maybe it's ephemeral and fleeting, but it was also real and widespread. And moments of collective celebration on that scale almost never happen. It's only sport really that can do that - as admittedly insignificant as it is - but it does have that going for it, which gives it power. Collective despair and unhappiness is much, much easier to find; it's everywhere.

So, yes, I feel a sadness for people who want no part of it. All you have to do is embrace it. It's joy just waiting to be experienced. Or at least, it was. There are no rules a person must follow to be part of, no particular way to act. Drinking and acting foolishly is a component for some, but not for me and not for the majority Enjoy it whatever way. What have you got to lose? Why revel in not being happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Later today Im going to catch somesones eye, clench my fist and say "YES"

they'll look at me and smile in recognition and say "Robbie Bradys goal?"

and Ill say "no, Arghus on boards"

:D

Enjoy it whatever way. What have you got to lose? Why revel in not being happy?

I have nothing to lose, but everything to gain. "Multimillionaire kicks ball into net" is not something that I can derive any sort of joy from. Of all the art, culture, music, history, science, wonder, etc. we have at our fingertips today, watching some lads play football is pretty much the most prosaic thing that I can think of.

I'm not revelling in "not being happy" - again the thread title is "are you bored of it yet?" and I am stating "yes I am so bored of it", but am at least throwing in a reason why.

This again comes down to "ah sure have a few pints and watch the match, you'll enjoy it!". Why are certain people/fans of that opinion. I don't like football, therefore I will never enjoy it. Why are people so presumptious and think my tastes are so malleable and poorly formed? If I sit someone down (which I don't) to music, a book, film, game, whatever I know they do not like, saying "sure have a beer and try again" will not change them. So why do certain fans think that if I watch the "boys in green" with a pint of crap beer some latent love of football will spring forth?

Euro Irish Banter? Am I bored of it?

No. I am not bored of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Something that I do find annoying is how they're overselling it. Even back in the qualifying when we won against Germany, they were making comparisons to the all-time greats like Houghton's goals against Italy/England, when it was nothing like that. Germany were already through and didn't give two ****s, they lost even to Poland in the same campaign by two goals IIRC. We beat Italy again here, but they were resting most of their players. Comparing it to the win against Italy in 1994 is some sort of comedy. We're through to the final 16 of the euros... so in the exact same position as starting out in 2012. Everyone and their mother qualified this time... Wales, Northern Ireland, Hungary, Iceland... Albania for god's sake.

Now that's not me begrudging anyone or trolling like our edgy friend here LunarSea, it's not looking at the negative but being realistic. If we did manage to beat hosts France, then yes that would indeed be one to put in the history books among the all-time greats. But the funny thing is that we've heard "historic" so much over the past couple of weeks/months, particularly with the Germany win, that it almost sounds a bit hollow now.

Advertisement