Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apart from the same sex marriage celebration, I have never seen so many men kiss, hug, backslap, embrace and all the rest of it as I did last night.

Jaysus even Roy Kean did and he smiled too.

What the hell is happening amongst men now?

It was hilarious to watch, as some of them were uncomfortable but it was the done thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Apart from the same sex marriage celebration, I have never seen so many men kiss, hug, backslap, embrace and all the rest of it as I did last night.

Jaysus even Roy Kean did and he smiled too.

What the hell is happening amongst men now?

It was hilarious to watch, as some of them were uncomfortable but it was the done thing.

Rugby fans can go to tournaments and enjoy it and have a laugh, no need for the facebooks etc. No need to feel the need to be the best boys in europe.

You'd never think there were rows in the streets in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

LunarSea wrote: »
    I have nothing to lose, but everything to gain. "Multimillionaire kicks ball into net" is not something that I can derive any sort of joy from. Of all the art, culture, music, history, science, wonder, etc. we have at our fingertips today, watching some lads play football is pretty much the most prosaic thing that I can think of.

I'm not revelling in "not being happy" - again the thread title is "are you bored of it yet?" and I am stating "yes I am so bored of it", but am at least throwing in a reason why.

This again comes down to "ah sure have a few pints and watch the match, you'll enjoy it!". Why are certain people/fans of that opinion. I don't like football, therefore I will never enjoy it. Why are people so presumptious and think my tastes are so malleable and poorly formed? If I sit someone down (which I don't) to music, a book, film, game, whatever I know they do not like, saying "sure have a beer and try again" will not change them. So why do certain fans think that if I watch the "boys in green" with a pint of crap beer some latent love of football will spring forth?

Not sure I'd wanna have a few pints and watch the match with you tbh.

I think some people are getting a little p*ssed off about the Euros because there's a whole pile of people enjoying it immensely, and they feel a little left out cos they're not into football.

Which is understandable to a point. Just stop moaning about it, it will be over soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Something that I do find annoying is how they're overselling it. Even back in the qualifying when we won against Germany, they were making comparisons to the all-time greats like Houghton's goals against Italy/England, when it was nothing like that. Germany were already through and didn't give two ****s, they lost even to Poland in the same campaign by two goals IIRC. We beat Italy again here, but they were resting most of their players. Comparing it to the win against Italy in 1994 is some sort of comedy. We're through to the final 16 of the euros... so in the exact same position as starting out in 2012. Everyone and their mother qualified this time... Wales, Northern Ireland, Hungary, Iceland... Albania for god's sake.

Now that's not me begrudging anyone or trolling like our edgy friend here LunarSea, it's not looking at the negative but being realistic. If we did manage to beat hosts France, then yes that would indeed be one to put in the history books among the all-time greats. But the funny thing is that we've heard "historic" so much over the past couple of weeks/months, particularly with the Germany win, that it almost sounds a bit hollow now.
    I was at the Ireland/Germany game where Shane Long scored, Germany did indeed give a ****, they just couldn't break down Ireland and Long's finish was fantastic. That goal was huge, if we drew, we wouldn't have qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Something that I do find annoying is how they're overselling it. Even back in the qualifying when we won against Germany, they were making comparisons to the all-time greats like Houghton's goals against Italy/England, when it was nothing like that. Germany were already through and didn't give two ****s, they lost even to Poland in the same campaign by two goals IIRC. We beat Italy again here, but they were resting most of their players. Comparing it to the win against Italy in 1994 is some sort of comedy. We're through to the final 16 of the euros... so in the exact same position as starting out in 2012. Everyone and their mother qualified this time... Wales, Northern Ireland, Hungary, Iceland... Albania for god's sake.

Now that's not me begrudging anyone or trolling like our edgy friend here LunarSea, it's not looking at the negative but being realistic. If we did manage to beat hosts France, then yes that would indeed be one to put in the history books among the all-time greats. But the funny thing is that we've heard "historic" so much over the past couple of weeks/months, particularly with the Germany win, that it almost sounds a bit hollow now.

I suppose it's all relative. The win against Italy in 94 was more significant, but we also had a much stronger team back then. Yesterday was our first win in a tournament for fourteen years. I think that can be regarded as historic. It was also one of the most extremely rare cases of us getting a win in a must win game, against a stronger opponent.

To make the last sixteen of the euros is pretty good going for us, considering the relative strength of our squad. There's many who didn't make the tournament at all, for example - The Dutch.

To get four points of Germany - who had just been crowned World Champions - and who actually hadn't qualified when we played them, considering where we were relative to where they were in the international pecking order, was pretty good going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rightwing wrote: »
    Rugby fans can go to tournaments and enjoy it and have a laugh, no need for the facebooks etc. No need to feel the need to be the best boys in europe.

You'd never think there were rows in the streets in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Yeah, rugby fans are only fantastic, aren't ye? Ye are just great. Well done rugby fans. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Yeah, rugby fans are only fantastic, aren't ye? Ye are just great. Well done rugby fans. Well done.

Well you won't see me cleaning up the streets in a foreign country anytime soon, unlike some of the soccer lads, whilst probably littering their home country. But hey, anything for a few facebook likes. We need facebook likes or the craic wouldn't be as good. ;)

siblers wrote: »
    I was at the Ireland/Germany game where Shane Long scored, Germany did indeed give a ****, they just couldn't break down Ireland and Long's finish was fantastic. That goal was huge, if we drew, we wouldn't have qualified.

I was in a bar in Berlin watching that match with some friends, will never forget it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd wanna have a few pints and watch the match with you tbh.

I think some people are getting a little p*ssed off about the Euros because there's a whole pile of people enjoying it immensely, and they feel a little left out cos they're not into football.

Which is understandable to a point. Just stop moaning about it, it will be over soon enough.

I'm 100% with you on your first point - I don't like football so I'll just be shrugging my shoulders and staring into the pint! I'd be properly **** company to watch football with.

Second point - well, no. Why would people who don't care about football be annoyed they're not out watching football? The only thing that's annoying me is drunken louts making noise out on the street midweek and folk pissing in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I'm a proud Irish football supporter but the "France Bants" videos were doing my head in. I just unfollowed balls.ie, Joe.ie and some others on Twitter and now I can enjoy the football without having to see videos of "the Bants" inflicted on me. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere looks class but the sh1te that some of the Irish media were doling out was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

mickotoole wrote: »
    I'm a proud Irish football supporter but the "France Bants" videos were doing my head in. I just unfollowed balls.ie, Joe.ie and some others on Twitter and now I can enjoy the football without having to see videos of "the Bants" inflicted on me. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere looks class but the sh1te that some of the Irish media were doling out was a joke.

I just don't watch the videos??

Though I'd much prefer it as this than them out there wreaking the place

I'm 100% with you on your first point - I don't like football so I'll just be shrugging my shoulders and staring into the pint! I'd be properly **** company to watch football with.

Second point - well, no. Why would people who don't care about football be annoyed they're not out watching football? The only thing that's annoying me is drunken louts making noise out on the street midweek and folk pissing in public.

Its not that they're left out of watching football, they're left out of the experience. Other people are taking joy from something which they can't. Hence the touch of bitterness towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian_80

Gold medals for sprinting, regular in the basketball team, I was my school team's first choice goalie, used to cycle about 300 miles a week in my college days, thanks!

Here it is in full flow again, people seem to think that anyone that doesn't like football has a superiority complex. I don't. Some of my best mates are mad for it. But they can keep it to themselves and don't feel the need to be falling around the place steamboats and wrecking people's heads because some lads that had an Irish grandparent had a lucky game.

Again, the thrad title poses the question are you bored of the banter. My answer is yes! Banter like "it was a joyus moment for Ireland", yeah that's the kind of **** I'm so bored of hearing. A joyus moment? Did we find a cure cancer? Did we solve the homeless crisis? Have we bounced back from the recession? Oh, wait, no it was some lad scored a goal and won a football match.

That's the hyperbole that makes the sport (and some of the fans) so cringey and hard to listen to.

There are holes in your sporting past. You say.... "Oh, wait, no it was some lad scored a goal and won a football match"...same as you playing basketball, some lad throwing some ball in some net. 300 miles cycling a week in college, so when others were enjoying college and living the student life, you were that weird guy who was always cycling (on his own)?

You need some joy in your life pal, go get some fresh air, get a hobbie, some friends, you sound like a very bitter individual....cheer up, lifes too short! If you dont want to watch or hear about football, dont watch it, dont read articles about it, ignore conversation about it.....but whats the problem with people who like it enjoying it?

I agree, its a thread about "...are you bored of it..." you answered yes, move on.

Your prob shocked at how well I've described your life........

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I just don't watch the videos??

Though I'd much prefer it as this than them out there wreaking the place
    It's not an either or situation though. It's like our fans want a pat on the head for being such fun. You can have fun without the need to tell everyone else that you are either having fun or are funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Doesn't lunarsea live in France? Bit strange to be complaining of Irish people pissing in public in the one place I know that has urinals on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

tigger123 wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Berlin watching that match with some friends, will never forget it :)

We're they as sour as that Joachim Low creep was afterwards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Just back from Lille this morning. Wednesday night was just surreal, something which I will never forget.

The French police were more interested in taking out their phones and recording the Irish fans. That was strange to see.

The Italian fans around me seemed more happy for us rather than being unhappy that their team had just lost. Both anthems were cheered by both sets of fans.

One thing I will say is the City of Lille was an absolute mess. Glass and litter everywhere, but there was literally no where to put your rubbish, nowhere. What the hell were they supposed to do? The Pubs and bars are tiny and lots of them had run out of alcohol. Amateurs.

We're they as sour as that Joachim Low creep was afterwards?

Nah, not really. Our table went f*ckin bananas when Long scored and the waiter (while smiling) asked us to keep it down a little, but that was it. Was chatting to a German fan after full time and he said Ireland fully deserved it, Germany had their chances to take it and didn't capitalise, was very gracious!

(Berliners are generally lovely people)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Is there any chance the Irish fans could be sent to sort out the aftermath of Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

Back today from the euros and probably the best few days of my life. The atmosphere, the celebrations when Brady scored was amazing and something will hold dearly with me for the rest of my life and will never forget. This topped Longs goal by 100% when I was at the aviva.

The aftermath was absolutely unreal. People celebrating, the chants, you could actually walk up to any Irish Fan and Italian and engage in conversation. Everyone seemed like they knew one another and was just a sensational experience

Unless your there you won't know what the atmosphere was like. The celebrations is like nothing you will ever experience unless your there. Having the craic with the locals and the Italians was excellent.

We are the best fans in the world. No Doubt. Now back to working from Monday which is depressing the crap out of me.

• Advertisement

enya kenny wrote: »
    Back today from the euros and probably the best few days of my life. The atmosphere, the celebrations when Brady scored was amazing and something will hold dearly with me for the rest of my life and will never forget. This topped Longs goal by 100% when I was at the aviva.

The aftermath was absolutely unreal. People celebrating, the chants, you could actually walk up to any Irish Fan and Italian and engage in conversation. Everyone seemed like they knew one another and was just a sensational experience

Unless your there you won't know what the atmosphere was like. The celebrations is like nothing you will ever experience unless your there. Having the craic with the locals and the Italians was excellent.

We are the best fans in the world. No Doubt. Now back to working from Monday which is depressing the crap out of me.

Monday? Dunno if anyone will be doing much on Monday...

enya kenny wrote: »

Careful now with all that positive stuff.

Don't you know that your joy and happiness was meaningless?

Don't worry; someone will be around to tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Something that I do find annoying is how they're overselling it. Even back in the qualifying when we won against Germany, they were making comparisons to the all-time greats like Houghton's goals against Italy/England, when it was nothing like that.

Ray Houghton's goal against Italy isn't considered that great though, is it? It was pretty flukey. Brady's goal the other night was much better! Long's against Germany too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

Maireadio wrote: »
    Ray Houghton's goal against Italy isn't considered that great though, is it? It was pretty flukey. Brady's goal the other night was much better!

Zinedine Hoolahan. At 34 tearing the Italians apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Rightwing wrote: »
    Well you won't see me cleaning up the streets in a foreign country anytime soon, unlike some of the soccer lads, whilst probably littering their home country. But hey, anything for a few facebook likes. We need facebook likes or the craic wouldn't be as good. ;)

ah jaysis sure your rugby crowd were absolutely useless when Ireland were getting beaten by Argentina in last years World Cup. You could hear a pin drop amongst the Irish rugby fans. They only sing when the team is winning, which is of fcuk all use when the team were up against the cosh.

Ray Houghton's goal against Italy isn't considered that great though, is it? It was pretty flukey. Brady's goal the other night was much better! Long's against Germany too.

Nothing flukey about that goal, he caught Pagiluca, a top keeper at the time, off his line. The Italian team in 1994 were well decoratedhad several AC Milan players with European Cup medals also played with Juventus' Roberto Baggio leading the line, World Player of the Year iirc. Houghton beat Franco Baresi to the ball, Baresi was a god in world football at the time.

Dont forget too that in the 1994 match we scored in the 11th minute. For a further 79 minutes we kept the Italians at bay with Paul McGrath putting in a masterclass of defending. Denis Irwin and Terry Phelan were absolutely immense too. When it came to defending our lead we out-Italianed the Italians, it was a momentous David slaying Goliath result.

But if none of that convinces you of the significance of our 1994 World Cup win over the Italians then consider this- Ireland were the only team to beat Italy within 90 minutes at the 1994 World Cup. Even Brazil with the great Ronaldo and Romario didn't manage to beat Italy in 90 minutes in the final, they needed penalties to do it. Our lads did what no other team at the tournament managed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Nothing flukey about that goal, he caught Pagiluca, a top keeper at the time, off his line.

As my fella said, Houghton shinned it. ;) That's not particularly skillful. The trajectory just worked out in spite of that. Even top goalies can slip up. But yes, the defending was great.

As my fella said, Houghton shinned it. ;) That's not particularly skillful. The trajectory just worked out in spite of that. Even top goalies can slip up. But yes, the defending was great.

Your fella knows less about football than he's leading you to believe.

Ronnie Whelan against the USSR was the shinner heard round the world.

Ray Houghton against the Italians was totally legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I think your old fella may be confusing famous Ireland goals. Ronnie Whelan's famous volley against the Soviet Union at Euro 88 was a shinner. Houghton's versus Italy was a pretty clean strike.

Arghus obviously got in there as I typed that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Houghton's goal just looks **** because he kicks it oddly and does the biggest 'did I actually do that' celebration so it has that 'luck of the irish' feel to it.

Advertisement