Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Rightwing wrote: »
    Well you won't see me cleaning up the streets in a foreign country anytime soon, unlike some of the soccer lads, whilst probably littering their home country. But hey, anything for a few facebook likes. We need facebook likes or the craic wouldn't be as good. ;)

A few facebook likes?

I'm just back from a week in Bordeaux and Lille.

Almost every tv station across Europe ran either news or sports-news pieces on the positivity, colour, vibrancy the Irish brought to the streets of France (thus far).

French tv, and probably France itself, were loving it.

Put this into some context - the nation of France has suffered 2 horrible atrocities between Charlie Hebdo and the Bataclan night.

Tension, fear, depression in that country was (and is) at an all time high.

Then to kick off the Euros they have Russian thugs, domestic thugs and the English all winding each other up, kicking off, resulting in dozens of arrests and yet more violence on their streets.

"Here we go....more of this ****"

And the french public weren't at that stage embracing the tournament much.

Enter the Irish.

What have we brought to France this euros?

Colour. Laughter. Banter. Friendship.

In both Bordeaux and Lille, it didn't really matter if you were Irish, French, Belgian or Italian.

The irish tried to speak French, the French tried to speak English, the Belgians and Italians likewise. Where language was impossible, efforts were made in other ways - drink and a smile.

We brought a lot of positivity to France.

As for the "few facebook likes" comment.....

Those videos of Irish fans singing a lullaby to a baby (after a 3-0 loss by the way), changing a car tyre for an elderly couple, serenading nuns on trains, serenading a girl in a good natured way, chanting support for the French police.....

Those videos have been viewed dozens of millions of times around Europe, between tv, youtube etc and have done more for tourism in Ireland, and the image of our country, than any Bord Failte campaign could do.

The image being of the irish as drinkers who enjoy a good time and are a friendly people. Not a bad image to re-enforce around Europe, even if it is a clichéd, stereotypical, Simpsons-esque view of the Irish.

On top of all that, you throw in a magical moment when Robbie Brady scores that goal....

More magical because of the stifling heat inside the stadium with the roof closed. I was sweating buckets just standing watching it. For him to keep going, to find that energy for a 70 yard run, it all added up to a moment of a lifetime.

If people are sick of the videos, don't watch them.

But to my mind, at least, the behaviour of the Green Army in France has been a huge positive mark on Euro 2016.

Win, lose or draw against France i'm happy to watch as many more videos that come out and remember that in a time of division, unrest and fear across France and Europe, the Irish went there to drink, laugh, party, make friends and enjoy life.

I don't have many stories of high jinks in my time in France but just to show how appreciated we were - i was wearing a hoody while it was milling down with rain in Lille the day before the match, and had got off at the wrong stop on the subway.

I approached a french man to ask for directions to try walk the difference and he initially shook his head with the "dont speak english mate" look on his face.

I zipped down the top slightly as i walked off and he walked back and basically after seeing the green tried in very, very basic broken english to point me in the right way.

That's what i'll remember most from euro2016. That our fans left such a good impression on the people of Europe, and France, that they in turn tried their best to show we're appreciated.

In Flanders station after the match, the one with the video of the Irish at the escalators singing the Fields of Athenry.......

Just 2 minutes before that started, a group of maybe 25 French girls came up the escalators singing Les Marseillais and got a standing ovation from the irish who responded with Fields of Athenry.

There were a dozen armored cops with guns at the opposite end of that escalator....

And i counted 7 of them with their cameras out videoing it and all with smiles on their faces :)

National pride, patriotism etc isn't a popular concept anymore but i was/am proud to be Irish over there and will continue to be.

COYBIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Your fella knows less about football than he's leading you to believe.

Well, what can I say, I disagree. He's very knowledgeable, IMO. Of course, this will turn into a dick-measuring contest, but we're all biased on what we think we and people close to us know, yourself included. ;) I think he's probably analysing it more objectively than any of you are. Nobody wants to consider that it's anything less than a great goal.

And I've seen the goal many times myself and tend to agree with him. But what would I know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

A few facebook likes?

I'm just back from a week in Bordeaux and Lille.

Almost every tv station across Europe ran either news or sports-news pieces on the positivity, colour, vibrancy the Irish brought to the streets of France (thus far).

French tv, and probably France itself, were loving it.

Put this into some context - the nation of France has suffered 2 horrible atrocities between Charlie Hebdo and the Bataclan night.

Tension, fear, depression in that country was (and is) at an all time high.

Then to kick off the Euros they have Russian thugs, domestic thugs and the English all winding each other up, kicking off, resulting in dozens of arrests and yet more violence on their streets.

"Here we go....more of this ****"

And the french public weren't at that stage embracing the tournament much.

Enter the Irish.

What have we brought to France this euros?

Colour. Laughter. Banter. Friendship.

In both Bordeaux and Lille, it didn't really matter if you were Irish, French, Belgian or Italian.

The irish tried to speak French, the French tried to speak English, the Belgians and Italians likewise. Where language was impossible, efforts were made in other ways - drink and a smile.

We brought a lot of positivity to France.

As for the "few facebook likes" comment.....

Those videos of Irish fans singing a lullaby to a baby (after a 3-0 loss by the way), changing a car tyre for an elderly couple, serenading nuns on trains, serenading a girl in a good natured way, chanting support for the French police.....

Those videos have been viewed dozens of millions of times around Europe, between tv, youtube etc and have done more for tourism in Ireland, and the image of our country, than any Bord Failte campaign could do.

The image being of the irish as drinkers who enjoy a good time and are a friendly people. Not a bad image to re-enforce around Europe, even if it is a clichéd, stereotypical, Simpsons-esque view of the Irish.

On top of all that, you throw in a magical moment when Robbie Brady scores that goal....

More magical because of the stifling heat inside the stadium with the roof closed. I was sweating buckets just standing watching it. For him to keep going, to find that energy for a 70 yard run, it all added up to a moment of a lifetime.

If people are sick of the videos, don't watch them.

But to my mind, at least, the behaviour of the Green Army in France has been a huge positive mark on Euro 2016.

Win, lose or draw against France i'm happy to watch as many more videos that come out and remember that in a time of division, unrest and fear across France and Europe, the Irish went there to drink, laugh, party, make friends and enjoy life.

I don't have many stories of high jinks in my time in France but just to show how appreciated we were - i was wearing a hoody while it was milling down with rain in Lille the day before the match, and had got off at the wrong stop on the subway.

I approached a french man to ask for directions to try walk the difference and he initially shook his head with the "dont speak english mate" look on his face.

I zipped down the top slightly as i walked off and he walked back and basically after seeing the green tried in very, very basic broken english to point me in the right way.

That's what i'll remember most from euro2016. That our fans left such a good impression on the people of Europe, and France, that they in turn tried their best to show we're appreciated.

In Flanders station after the match, the one with the video of the Irish at the escalators singing the Fields of Athenry.......

Just 2 minutes before that started, a group of maybe 25 French girls came up the escalators singing Les Marseillais and got a standing ovation from the irish who responded with Fields of Athenry.

There were a dozen armored cops with guns at the opposite end of that escalator....

And i counted 7 of them with their cameras out videoing it and all with smiles on their faces :)

National pride, patriotism etc isn't a popular concept anymore but i was/am proud to be Irish over there and will continue to be.

COYBIG.

WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maireadio wrote: »
    Well, what can I say, I disagree. He's very knowledgeable, IMO. Of course, this will turn into a dick-measuring contest, but we're all biased on what we think we and people close to us know, yourself included. ;) I think he's probably analysing it more objectively than any of you are. Nobody wants to consider that it's anything less than a great goal.

And I've seen the goal many times myself and tend to agree with him. But what would I know?

Sure we may as well look at Exhibit A:

Subjective Opinion: Ole. Ole. Ole. Ray! You little Scottish magician! What a goal!! What a goal!!

Attempted Objective Opinion: There was undoubtedly the touch of good fortune about it - The ball sat up nicely for him, the keeper was poorly positioned.

But there was plenty of good play in it too - He was alive to the ball far quicker than the Italian defence, good anticipation. And he had the presence of mind to spot that the keeper was off his line, good awareness. And, considering that he was slightly off balance when he struck the ball, the fact that he was able to lift it over the keeper with exactly the right mix of power and precision was actually pretty impressive.

A good goal.

Ronnie Whelan hit it with his shin.

Arghus wrote: »
    Sure we may as well look at Exhibit A:

Subjective Opinion: Ole. Ole. Ole. Ray! You little Scottish magician! What a goal!! What a goal!!

Attempted Objective Opinion: There was undoubtedly the touch of good fortune about it - The ball sat up nicely for him, the keeper was poorly positioned.

But there was plenty of good play in it too - He was alive to the ball far quicker than the Italian defence, good anticipation. And he had the presence of mind to spot that the keeper was off his line, good awareness. And, considering that he was slightly off balance when he struck the ball, the fact that he was able to lift it over the keeper with exactly the right mix of power and precision was actually pretty impressive.

A good goal.

Ronnie Whelan hit it with his shin.

Tommy Coyne rattled the cross bar in the second half of that game if im not mistaken? Or was it John Sheridan?

• Advertisement

Tommy Coyne rattled the cross bar in the second half of that game if im not mistaken? Or was it John Sheridan?

John Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

John Sheridan.
    Against Norway in game 3

Against Norway in game 3

He hit the bar late in the second half against the Italians. Keane did really well down the left and made it into the box and then cut it back for Sheridan, who blasted it against the bar.

Don't remember much about the Norway game, aside from it being the most boring game of football my young eyes had seen up to that point.

A good goal.

Thank you, Arghus, this would actually be pretty close to his view. A pretty good goal with luck involved, but not a great one or close to it. His subjective view would also match yours. ;) I was expecting another put down of my post so it's nice to see an actual fair analysis of it! Thank you. And no denigrating of a guy you don't know unlike others. Fair play.

Thank you, Arghus, this would actually be pretty close to his view. A pretty good goal with luck involved, but not a great one or close to it. His subjective view would also match yours. ;) I was expecting another put down of my post so it's nice to see an actual fair analysis of it! Thank you. And no denigrating of a guy you don't know unlike others. Fair play.

Fairness is always best.

But just to be clear: Ronnie Whelan scored a goal of his shin: he shinned it, it was a fluke. It was a great moment in Irish football history, but a lucky strike nonetheless.

Ray Houghton did not score a goal of his shin. He totally meant to score that goal, his execution of it was perfect.

I'm not trying to slag your fella off, but if he thinks the Houghton goal was a flukey shinned goal: he is wrong.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to slag your fella off, but if he thinks the Houghton goal was a flukey shinned goal: he is wrong.

Well, not much the shin as the upper part of the foot. So maybe I said slightly the wrong part of the anatomy but he most certainly did not catch it right with his foot (I can see that myself) and that for me makes it lucky. So, it's pretty good but not a great goal objectively. Subjectively yes, because of what it meant and as said before, we defended so well afterwards.

But anyway, thanks again for your measured response. I'm not popular in this thread so any other response I get on this matter will likely be less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't rise to the frogs jeering you on Sunday men. There'll be certain elements from Marseille there at Lyon.

You ignore them and keep the heads down. Don't let them goad you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mec27 wrote: »
    Houghton's goal just looks **** because he kicks it oddly and does the biggest 'did I actually do that' celebration so it has that 'luck of the irish' feel to it.

The most awkward celebration ever. WTF was that like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

enya kenny wrote: »
    Unless your there you won't know what the atmosphere was like. The celebrations is like nothing you will ever experience unless your there. Having the craic with the locals and the Italians was excellent.

We are the best fans in the world. No Doubt. Now back to working from Monday which is depressing the crap out of me.

What about the Icelandic? Have made as much noise as us and brought the colour like nobody else. Check this video of them out. Unreal scenes. What's the 'no doubt' part about like, screams of backslapping?

On a side note, it's so easy for us to go over anywhere and speak English to everyone and expect it spoken back. When I was at the last Euros in Poland, a few lads tried to make a show of me because I ordered my food and beer in Polish. We have it very handy. By the way, I'm not trying to take away from your experience, because it is deadly to do an away trip, and even moreso to do a tournament away trip. I'm glad you had a ball and would encourage anyone to go if they have the chance, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Omackeral wrote: »
    What about the Icelandic? Have made as much noise as us and brought the colour like nobody else. Check this video of them out. Unreal scenes. What's the 'no doubt' part about like, screams of backslapping?

On a side note, it's so easy for us to go over anywhere and speak English to everyone and expect it spoken back. When I was at the last Euros in Poland, a few lads tried to make a show of me because I ordered my food and beer in Polish. We have it very handy. By the way, I'm not trying to take away from your experience, because it is deadly to do an away trip, and even moreso to do a tournament away trip. I'm glad you had a ball and would encourage anyone to go if they have the chance, it's great.

If you were German you would speak English and expect it spoken back. Same if you were Hungarian, Icelandic, or Spanish. It's the lingua franca. If we spoke Irish we'd all have enough English to get a beer and a bit of grub in English anyway. Not saying this to make a big point or start an argument, just that as handy as we have it, it's not a big hassle for any other country going abroad to speak a bit of English.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes the icelandic,

and i'm sure their media tout them as the best supporters in the world, the irish fans seem to be under the delusional impression that the whole world is watching them

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

fryup wrote: »

yes the icelandic,

and i'm sure their media tout them as the best supporters in the world, the irish fans seem to be under the delusional impression that the whole world is watching them

There is a huge love-in for Irish fans in France, above anyone else.

The Icelandic fans are quite wonderful in the stadium. They create such a great atmosphere. The Irish fans are pretty good in this regard too but they need to learn more material to sing.

The most awkward celebration ever. WTF was that like?!

Aw, I think it's cute; the little tumble. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm half surprised they haven't chartered a vessel to commence rescue missions of migrant boats chugging across the Med or exhumed the bones of US servicemen buried in Flanders, to reunite them with their families in Ohio.

My Sister has a terrier that constantly looks to be petted & praised. It's initially endearing but becomes tiresome pretty quick.

Doubtless the atmosphere is great & they're more than playing their part in making the tournament a positive experience for many, but reign in the neediness just a bit for the love of God. It's just too full on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Where was the denigrating? People have said that calling Houghton's goal a shinner was incorrect. I can't see anything stronger than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Aw, I think it's cute; the little tumble. :o

Now that is mild denigration.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Where was the denigrating? People have said that calling Houghton's goal a shinner was incorrect. I can't see anything stronger than that.

My fella knows nothing about football etc. etc. I got the part of the leg wrong, it wasn't the shin, it was the upper part of the foot and was definitely loose and awkward. Of course everyone thinks they know everything about football and that they're never wrong. The childish bickering rife in Soccer forum threads shows that. So making that claim about somebody you don't even know when opinions on the subject vary wildly and very susceptible to bias? Feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm half surprised they haven't chartered a vessel to commence rescue missions of migrant boats chugging across the Med or exhumed the bones of US servicemen buried in Flanders, to reunite them with their families in Ohio.

My Sister has a terrier that constantly looks to be petted & praised. It's initially endearing but becomes tiresome pretty quick.

Doubtless the atmosphere is great & they're more than playing their part in making the tournament a positive experience for many, but reign in the neediness just a bit for the love of God. It's just too full on.

To be fair, they'd normally he home by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The BBC commentator (J Pearce) during the NI v Germany game said he is commentating since 1998 and it was the best performance from a set of fans (the NI ones) he had ever heard.

I think they sang non-stop up until the 70min mark in the game, and then began to take the odd break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Some very sensitive people in this thread!

NIMAN wrote: »
    The BBC commentator (J Pearce) during the NI v Germany game said he is commentating since 1998 and it was the best performance from a set of fans (the NI ones) he had ever heard.

I think they sang non-stop up until the 70min mark in the game, and then began to take the odd break.

Wales fans are very uplifting in the stadium too.

Irish fans just need to broaden the repertoire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Ireland could sing more than Fields of Athenry, COYBIG and Ireland, Ireland, it would make a big difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

NIMAN wrote: »

I 100% agree but if it was Ireland getting comprehensively outclassed like NI were in that game (should have been 5 or 6 in it were it not for the keeper), some people here would be complaining that they were singing so much, that it was "accepting mediocrity".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36619155

BBC Sport looks at the best bits from fans' videos of the Republic of Ireland supporters at Euro 2016,And want to know are they the best ?

Advertisement