Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Never been so proud to be Irish as to know Irish people are blocking the streets of a foreign city because they decide to do Rock The Boat during the day.

Fück the begrudgers is right. No non-Irish person in the world is capable of enjoying themselves. We are just incredible. How would the world get by without us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I was sick of the banter videos at the start and when we lost to Belgium I was even more sick of them, but the fans were great against Italy and again tonight. I'm pretty bloody upset now, can't shake the feeling. Feels like that sad feeling realising you'll never see your holiday romance again, in the 90s, back before you could keep in touch over email and facebook and realise over time it would never have worked anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

some people are just big black pools of negativity best off avoided at all costs. You can spot them a mile off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

anewme wrote: »
    Ah that's part of it, so what if they are a bit cringey?

We'd have more to give out about if they were pelting the police and other fans with bottles and setting fire to the place.

My cousin to me on FB today: "A friend of mine was in Bordeaux and looks like she did 12 rounds with Mike Tyson cos "the best fans in the world" were randomly throwing wine bottles into crowds and she got one in the face."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

lawlolawl wrote: »
    We are just barely out of the worst recession that this country has ever seen. People still claim they haven't an arse in their pants, people won't pay for an essential public service and we have a shaky-at-best government.

"Lads there's a couple of weeks of epic banter to be had watching a bunch of no-hopers you didn't give two ****s about until now bomb out of yet another international tournament"

/off to the credit union to borrow as much money as possible because "the craic"

"COYBIG, low lie the fields of Athenry, we're all part of Jackies army..........!"

If they'd had any indication before the tournament that Ireland mightn't win it, they could have stayed at home and saved some money. They must be raging. :mad:
    "Hey, remember that time we wasted a bunch of money to go watch our mediocre national side inevitably bomb out of yet another tournament? Paddy put a traffic cone on his head and danced around a bit. Remember that, it was great!"

Can you remind me why this is a problem for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Too bad it all ended today.

It was truly wonderful while it lasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Arghus wrote: »
    Too bad it all ended today.

It was truly wonderful while it lasted.

It really was, there's nothing like it. For me as someone who remembers watching Euro 88, even today and this morning before the game it was that feeling I used to get as a kid on Christmas Eve. I feel pretty emotional still, bah, need to snap out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

flights home for the boys in green ,flights home for the boys in green.

Au Revoir

Funny how you had nothing to say after they bet Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Suas11 wrote: »
    Funny how you had nothing to say after they bet Italy.

He waited until he had the chance to become a boring parody of himself.

It really was, there's nothing like it. For me as someone who remembers watching Euro 88, even today and this morning before the game it was that feeling I used to get as a kid on Christmas Eve. I feel pretty emotional still, bah, need to snap out of it!

They did so well. Really redeemed themselves. And it was a better second round match than any of Saturday's snoozefests.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Maireadio wrote: »

My cousin to me on FB today: "A friend of mine was in Bordeaux and looks like she did 12 rounds with Mike Tyson cos "the best fans in the world" were randomly throwing wine bottles into crowds and she got one in the face."

Bordeaux? The match was in Lyon. The waffle you've come out with on this thread is pathetic.

Bordeaux? The match was in Lyon. The waffle you've come out with on this thread is pathetic.

Ireland's second game was in Bordeaux. :confused: She may only be back from there from a few days, probably had a little holiday there afterwards.

Like, seriously, how could you not work out that I was talking about the second game in Bordeaux? :confused: How would anyone who has followed the Irish team for the last few weeks look at my post and think "Ha! You're wrong! They last played in Lyon!". Everyone following it knows where they played their four games.

Now, it's up to you whether you believe me or not, but please engage your brain before writing a retort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I suppose the League of Ireland attendances will see a massive increase now that they're on their way home.
    Best fans in the world my hole.

Bitterness from those already in attendance turns a lot of people away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lertsnim wrote: »
    Bitterness from those already in attendance turns a lot of people away from it.

I love this one. How in the hell is anyone in attendance going to know who's there for the first time? How? Answer that for me will ya? Are you forced to wear a badge or L-plates or something. Absolute bullsh*t of the highest order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

"Hey, remember that time we wasted a bunch of money to go watch our mediocre national side inevitably bomb out of yet another tournament? Paddy put a traffic cone on his head and danced around a bit. Remember that, it was great!"

You're a right sad old woman, aren't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Mayor of Paris to present Michael D with a medal in honour of our fans behaviour.

Let the begrudgers explode.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0629/798904-paris-france-euro-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

We are the best fans in the world, the best fans in the world. Look into my eyes and its easy to see 1 and 1 make 2 and 2 and 1 makes 3 it was destiny.

So Proud of our Country getting that award. Anyone that disagrees can kiss my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

A video on BBC tonight showing Irish fans cleaning up,and sweeping around some green area in Paris.

Placing all the rubbish in neat piles,the little angels.

Absolutely cringeworthy,the news commentators were having a giggle.

And to boot,its lucky that the Parisian refuse collectors and street cleaners did not come across a load of paddies doing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

gladrags wrote: »
    A video on BBC tonight showing Irish fans cleaning up,and sweeping around some green area in Paris.

Placing all the rubbish in neat piles,the little angels.

Absolutely cringeworthy,the news commentators were having a giggle.

And to boot,its lucky that the Parisian refuse collectors and street cleaners did not come across a load of paddies doing their jobs.

Because the city council would have hired the fans instead of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

enya kenny wrote: »
    We are the best fans in the world, the best fans in the world. Look into my eyes and its easy to see 1 and 1 make 2 and 2 and 1 makes 3 it was destiny.

So Proud of our Country getting that award. Anyone that disagrees can kiss my arse
    No they are not the best fans, they are just a tribute! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TheChillindian

WTH They are being awarded by the French Govt FFS. Need i say more ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zebra3 wrote: »

Absolutely zero details in that article. I have no tolerance for football hooliganism but would prefer more than a vague article like that before condemning the guy or Irish fans in general.

As for the medal, meh. I was there for all four games. Don't particularly feel the need to be rewarded for not being a dickhead. At halftime in Lyon I was almost shellshocked and really starting to believe we'd be in France for a bit longer. Nice gesture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Zebra3 wrote: »

Did you also read he was the ONLY Irish fan arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

So 100% of all Irish football fans arrested are guilty of hooliganism!

I can see the headlines now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Icelandic fans were the best imo.......but they're not looking for any recognition are they ?

and why should they ? they just behaved themselves like 99% of fans at the euros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I imagine it will be hard for returning Irish supporters to adapt to a routine where denting car roofs, nationalism and getting drunk won't garner awards and blanket Joe.ie coverage.

Maybe it will become a recognised psychological syndrome. I suggest Post Affirmation Surfeit Traumatic Syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I can't magine another sport feeling the need for 'best fans' rubbish.

An inferiority complex, and judging by some, no wonder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Rightwing wrote: »
    I can't magine another sport feeling the need for 'best fans' rubbish.

An inferiority complex, and judging by some, no wonder.

nobody cares about your poverty sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Mec27 wrote: »
    nobody cares about your poverty sport.

I like football, and watched a lot of the Euros. But the Swedes, Iceland, Austrians, Italians, Spaniards.......etc supporters were all great. A few countries, mainly the Russians, were the disgrace.

I don't see the need to grade the Irish over the Iceland fans for instance siimply because they weren't cleaning rubbish off streets type bullshi!.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement