Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

No, not at all.
    Being in France, hearing of their jovial behaviour is a nice change from hearing about endless strikes, terrorism and hooliganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Landed in Dublin at 11 am this morning. Just back sitting at desk losing the will to live.

I'm hoarse, I'm broke, I'm tired, my shoes are ruined but I wish i hadn't left. Its joyously intense out there. The songs, the football. The French are unstereotypical courteous. Its a celebration of football, Paris and Irishiness the last 2 days.

Will be watching the vidoes in Bordeaux with envy. COYBIG!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Some cringey pics & video & comments:

https://www.facebook.com/DublinsFM104/?fref=nf

Jackie Brady Honest to god there should be an award given to the Irish fans for their excellent behaviour and representing their country so well ☺️ #bestfansintheworld #COYBIG

Olga Fitzsimons We really have the best fans in the world.no wonder everyone loves the Irish.☺️

FM104 We ARE the best fans in the world.

A lame little Euro prayer here:
    https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/q81/s526x395/13435482_1140440142666277_4402481816492373672_n.jpg?oh=c8c35dc3bd00eb218cddb2347c278a87&oe=57C7D31B

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Landed in Dublin at 11 am this morning. Just back sitting at desk losing the will to live.

I'm hoarse, I'm broke, I'm tired, my shoes are ruined but I wish i hadn't left. Its joyously intense out there. The songs, the football. The French are unstereotypical courteous. Its a celebration of football, Paris and Irishiness the last 2 days.

Thank you for your service, sir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Was it that good? I was meant to be there but no passport? The irish pasport office has killedme.

• Advertisement

No, not at all.
    Being in France, hearing of their jovial behaviour is a nice change from hearing about endless strikes, terrorism and hooliganism.

This is it. You have many sets of fans acting violently and wrecking the place. And here we have people criticising their fellow countryman for being too nice because it's "cringeworthy".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Thank you for your service, sir.

Flying back in next Wednesday for a second tour. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

What I don't like about it is the self-praise, I haven't seen any comments about people being like 'Oh the Swedes, what legends' its all just IRELAND IRELAND IRISH ARE THE BEST etc. You shouldn't praise yourself the way we are doing, it's just cringey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dont dislike soccer at all played it
    As someone said here if your not a sheep in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Don't think the Irish are much different from most other sets of fans who don't have a history of hooliganism, they're just out to enjoy themselves.

Back slapping the "best fans in the world (tm)" isn't their fault, it's people who live their lives through Facebook.

• Advertisement

Your went straight to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We're the best fans in the world at showing up to major tournaments once or twice a decade and going on the lash. Call a spade a spade. The majority of people I know over there haven't been inside a stadium this year and won't be again after they come home. Don't get me wrong, it's good that there's no hassle with them and all but this Best Fans in the World stuff isn't accurate at all.

I was in Poland for Euro 2012 myself with the lads and it was a great bit of a laugh. But of the four of us that were there, none of us have been to an Ireland game since. Hardly fanatics, which is where the word fan comes from.

Last weekend I was down at Ferrycarraig Park to watch Bohemians against Wexford Youths, along with I'd say 120 other Bohs fans. We'd do that every second week, travel to see them away in every corner of the island, be it Cork or Derry or wherever. That to me takes a lot more dedication but you're actually looked at as kinda mad when most people find out you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You wouldn't see that crowd down at the Aviva on a wet November night for a friendly against Bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Mec27 wrote: »
    What I don't like about it is the self-praise, I haven't seen any comments about people being like 'Oh the Swedes, what legends' its all just IRELAND IRELAND IRISH ARE THE BEST etc. You shouldn't praise yourself the way we are doing, it's just cringey.

The Irish media is the problem, they are throwing out the best fans tag, the lads out there don't give a flying feck.

Its a wonderful thing to be away supporting the Irish team and if anyone is tempted to go I'd tell them definitely do it! It's never too late and France is a short flight away

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

LorMal wrote: »
    The whole happy cuddly drunken leprechaun stereotype is an embarrassment

It is. However instead of finding it cringeworthy there are a lot of people who actively want to embrace it.

You wouldn't see that crowd down at the Aviva on a wet November night for a friendly against Bulgaria.

You could argue they are better fans for giving up their time and money by travelling over to France.

I would attend the majority of home Irish games. But can't ever get all the pieces to fall into place to go to a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You could argue they are better fans for giving up their time and money by travelling over to France.

I would attend the majority of home Irish games. But can't ever get all the pieces to fall into place to go to a major tournament.

Nah they're not really, A good few are just there for the pissup and banter, they're doing France this year instead of Majorca. I don't have a problem with them (aside from the practice of defacing the national flag) they seem to be well behaved for the most part and well received by the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Irish fans best craic ever, laddy-lads doing craic-filled lad stuff (so much craic) wit da IRISH FAN CRAIC BANTERR zzOMG so proud 2 B Irish #COYBIG #Ireland4ever #proud2birish

It is tedious to be sure to be sure. And is it just me or is there even more of this bollocks this time round than ever before?
    I guess it's infinitely better than having your country's fans associated with rioting / bigots / hooligans or whatever but it really giving me an awful pain in my hole.

The other teams beat each other up - we just beat ourselves off over how 'sound' we are like. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Soccer fans aren't exactly the smartest though. They arbitrarily pick a random English premiership team when they're young, and then someone they're die-hard fans for life - when they're not even from Manchester or Liverpool (or wherever), and have no allegiance to the team or the city. And then they say "we" as if they play for them or something.

An old man I knew, long dead, lived in London for a large portion of the 1950s. While there he went to every West Ham match he could, because they were the team near him. When he returned to Ireland, despite no chance of seeing the matches, he kept supporting them by reading newspapers. He had children, they saw him supporting West Ham, and they too supported West Ham. When TV coverage in Ireland started showing UK matches, he watched every West Ham match he could, and read about every match. So did one of his children. He died quite a while ago. His son still supports West Ham.

That is the reality of a lot of Irish supporters of English teams in Ireland. They either spent a lot of time in England, as many Irish people have, and brought their support of their local team back with them and still support them if they're elderly. If they're young, the may have spent time in England, as many do. Or they are following the same team their parents followed, that they too followed from a young age.

There were also knobheads like Trevor and Micheal in primary school who switched allegiance at least every season, and sometimes more often. They also hoarded every shiny they got and lorded it over us peasants whose parents wouldn't buy us five boxes of stickers. I hated those guys.

And there's also people who just like teams because they play interesting or nice football, they're not really fans of the team, more of the football they play. And they'll often switch around teams as the teams attitude or play changes.
    Jackie Brady Honest to god there should be an award given to the Irish fans for their excellent behaviour and representing their country so well ☺️ #bestfansintheworld #COYBIG

Irish fans have already been given an award from FIFA. They're just being greedy if they want another one.
    Mec27 wrote: »
    What I don't like about it is the self-praise, I haven't seen any comments about people being like 'Oh the Swedes, what legends'.

I've seen loads of those comments. The Swedes look like they're having an amazing time.

• Advertisement

Would like to get people's thoughts on this clip of fans interrupting/hijacking a live tv report. If it were English lads doing the same would we be calling them out for it?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would like to get people's thoughts on this clip of fans interrupting/hijacking a live tv report. If it were English lads doing the same would we be calling them out for it?

Apes.And very true if it was english fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Irish - a great bunch of... ah forget it.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

the irish fans are a credit to the country

after seeing all the violins from marsay the last few days

Lyaiera wrote: »

That is the reality of a lot of Irish supporters of English teams in Ireland. They either spent a lot of time in England, as many Irish people have, and brought their support of their local team back with them and still support them if they're elderly. If they're young, the may have spent time in England, as many do. Or they are following the same team their parents followed, that they too followed from a young age.

Funny that it's nearly always Man United and Liverpool, the two most successful teams in English history. There are pockets that follow other ''smaller'' teams for family reasons but the numbers don't lie. It's mostly a success thing. If it's an area thing, then where are all the Crystal Palace, Charlton and Luton Town supporters from the Irish who settled in and around London?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

This old spoof.

If these supposed historical ties to areas are true, how come I've never met an Irish QPR fan?

The lads on France are just lads on the lash and there is nothing wrong with that. But it's silly to compare them to actual football fans like other countries bring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

It is a bit cringe-worthy alright all this "look at us Paddies, aren't we great?"

And others on here think that the only alternative is to be a rioting mob of Millwall thugs.
    Why do the Irish or the Irish media say shit like "oh we're the best fans in the world?" Well plenty of other supporters from other countries are behaving in an exemplary fashion too. I was at Ireland v. Norway in Giant's stadium in '94. The Norwegians were sound and played football with us in the carpark after we knocked them out.
    So the Irish are having a great time but stop trying to make out that they're better than everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Omackeral wrote: »

What's so gas about it?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

and we couldn't give a f if we win the world cup cos irelands got the greatest football team

ole ole ol elole ole ole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

this summers christmas jumper is the novelty tricolour.
    it used to be a reindeer with a glitter red nose, now its drake dancing to hotline bling in fairy lights.

each one must be more outrageous than the other. "davey keogh says hello" replaced by " if you can't beat them bang them". incidentally you couldn't beat them....as usual.

having fun is one one thing but the irish self awareness that they are being filmed is unreal. gurning and lampooning for the fomo brigade back home, like leprechaun versions of david brent. telling the gag and then winking at the cameras.

its not enough to have the fun, oh no , you have to dance with your smartphone held aloft. generation "me's" pose ....an anthitesis to the statue of liberty.

the exact same clowns who don't go to one race meeting all year but make sure they are behind ted walsh making sex faces in an ill fitting remus uomo suit on stephens day.

banter actually breaking the 4th wall.

the self proclaimed best fans in the world only have 3 songs "shoes off for boys in green", to be replaced with "sit down for boys in green" as the mood takes.
    ole ole ole and "come on you boys in green" which incidentally most of them replace with blue should dublin reach the all ireland final ( another event for the vacuous digital scrapbook ).

man utd have really good inventive songs, liverpool and dortmund a devout proper fanatical support.

these guys are devoid of identity trapped somewhere between the shoreditch man bun and the so-cal top heavy muscle bound empty vessel.

they travel in numbers as we are an economically privileged country with the benefit of a low cost airline and a sense of entitlement. i deserve the annual leave. i have to be there.

lets see how packed the aviva is for the next game against whogivesa****-istan.

there will be a coronas concert on or an episode of the great british bake off to watch , so i hazard it will be empty. because the irish boys only show up to the big dance. they don't do the foreplay. straight to the moneyshot.

this best in the world narrative ( or crapaganda) is rammed down my throat by the masturbating irish media to the point that if you are not part of it you are a begrudger , jealous, have no life of your own and no purpose.

as far as I'm concerned you are just another emerald cloaked shill at the balls.ie gang bang .

https://twitter.com/niallharbison/status/742491365213278208 this tweet today states that nike could not have conceived an ad as impressive as the clip.

this is the same nike who currently have an ad where cristiano ronaldo falls over the advertising boards, collides,morphs into, swaps places with, and then assumes the life of a ten year old black boy.

I'm fairly sure they could ****e out on a napkin a bunch of pasty white knuckle dragging sun shine boys banging on the side of the bus.

get off the road gents. you are in the way of real people.

100 years after michael collins freed us we are self imprisoned in shamrock coloured douchebaggery.

stop the world , i want to get off.

written by the self proclaimed best ranter in the world.

Advertisement