Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

this summers christmas jumper is the novelty tricolour.
    it used to be a reindeer with a glitter red nose, now its drake dancing to hotline bling in fairy lights.

each one must be more outrageous than the other. "davey keogh says hello" replaced by " if you can't beat them bang them". incidentally you couldn't beat them....as usual.

having fun is one one thing but the irish self awareness that they are being filmed is unreal. gurning and lampooning for the fomo brigade back home, like leprechaun versions of david brent. telling the gag and then winking at the cameras.

its not enough to have the fun, oh no , you have to dance with your smartphone held aloft. generation "'me's" pose ....an anthitesis to the statue of liberty.

the exact same clowns who don't go to one race meeting all year but make sure they are behind ted walsh making sex faces in an ill fitting remus uomo suit on stephens day.

banter actually breaking the 4th wall.

the self proclaimed best fans in the world only have 3 songs "shoes off for boys in green", to be replaced with "sit down for boys in green" as the mood takes.
    ole ole ole and "come on you boys in green" which incidentally most of them replace with blue should dublin reach the all ireland final ( another event for the vacuous digital scrapbook ).

man utd have really good inventive songs, liverpool and dortmund a devout proper fanatical support.

these guys are devoid of identity trapped somewhere between the shoreditch man bun and the so-cal top heavy muscle bound empty vessel.

they travel in numbers as we are an economically privileged country with the benefit of a low cost airline and a sense of entitlement. i deserve the annual leave. i have to be there.

lets see how packed the aviva is for the next game against whogivesa****-istan.

there will be a coronas concert on or an episode of the great british bake off to watch , so i hazard it will be empty. because the irish boys only show up to the big dance. they don't do the foreplay. straight to the moneyshot.

this best in the world narrative ( or crapaganda) is rammed down my throat by the masturbating irish media to the point that if you are not part of it you are a begrudger , jealous, have no life of your own and no purpose.

as far as I'm concerned you are just another emerald cloaked shill at the balls.ie gang bang .

https://twitter.com/niallharbison/status/742491365213278208 this tweet today states that nike could not have conceived an ad as impressive as the clip.

this is the same nike who currently have an ad where cristiano ronaldo falls over the advertising boards, collides,morphs into, swaps places with, and the assumes the life of a ten year old black boy.

I'm fairly sure they could ****e out on a napkin a bunch of pasty white knuckle dragging sun shine boys banging on the side of the bus.

get off the road gents. you are in the way of real people.

100 years after michael collins freed us we are self imprisoned in shamrock coloured douchebaggery.

stop the world , i want to get off.

written by the self proclaimed best ranter in the world.

tldr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I'm sick of it OP.

Remember. If you are not joining in the mass self congratulatory circle jerk and cheerleading like every other one of the cheeky nandos , clap when the plane lands brigade you are a begrudger.

Counter debate is shouted down by the "Confused.com", "that'll do pig" , "sure it'd be rude not to" , click bait website subscribing disciple.

I have never seen a nation to pat itself on the back for being "sound" more than this one.

Crowd surfing blocking traffic, being a general pain in the arse is de rigeur , but sure it's all only banter.

I have my shoe off and held aloft as I type this, in solidarity with these extremely fun , enviable, morally incorruptable people.

I'm off to find a statue I can climb or a garden to urinate in , but don't persecute me, I have an inflatable hammer and am adorned in an ironic retro shamrock t-shirt .

#coybig

The world is a gutter
    I bet you went to the library for your hen party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

it used to be a reindeer with a glitter red nose, now its drake dancing to hotline bling in fairy lights.

each one must be more outrageous than the other. "davey keogh says hello" replaced by " if you can't beat them bang them". incidentally you couldn't beat them....as usual.

having fun is one one thing but the irish self awareness that they are being filmed is unreal. gurning and lampooning for the fomo brigade back home, like leprechaun versions of david brent. telling the gag and then winking at the cameras.

its not enough to have the fun, oh no , you have to dance with your smartphone held aloft. generation "me's" pose ....an anthitesis to the statue of liberty.

the exact same clowns who don't go to one race meeting all year but make sure they are behind ted walsh making sex faces in an ill fitting remus uomo suit on stephens day.

the self proclaimed best fans in the world only have 3 songs "shoes off for boys in green", to be replaced with "sit down for boys in green" as the mood takes.
    ole ole ole and "come on you boys in green" which incidentally most of them replace with blue should dublin reach the all ireland final ( another event for the vacuous digital scrapbook ).

man utd have really good inventive songs, liverpool and dortmund a devout proper fanatical support.

these guys are devoid of identity trapped somewhere between the shoreditch man bun and the so-cal top heavy muscle bound empty vessel.

they travel in numbers as we are an economically privileged country with the benefit of a low cost airline and a sense of entitlement. i deserve the annual leave. i have to be there.

there will be a coronas concert on or an episode of the great british bake off to watch , so i hazard it will be empty. because the irish boys only show up to the big dance. they don't do the foreplay. straight to the moneyshot.

this best in the world narrative ( or crapaganda) is rammed down my throat by the masturbating irish media to the point that if you are not part of it you are a begrudger , jealous, have no life of your own and no purpose.

as far as I'm concerned you are just another emerald cloaked shill at the balls.ie gang bang .

https://twitter.com/niallharbison/status/742491365213278208 this tweet today states that nike could not have conceived an ad as impressive as the clip.

this is the same nike who currently have an ad where cristiano ronaldo falls over the advertising boards, collides,morphs into, swaps places with, and the assumes the life of a ten year old black boy.

I'm fairly sure they could ****e out on a napkin a bunch of pasty white knuckle dragging sun shine boys banging on the side of the bus.

100 years after michael collins freed us we are self imprisoned in shamrock coloured douchebaggery.

Now that is banter

#topbantz

Now that is banter

#topbantz

we'' finish a point ahead of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Say something Irish.

Remember that add?

Lads in a bar walk in and start talking in Irish and Irish dancing.

Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

I'm really enjoying the Euros but I'm finding all the "Look at what great fans we are" videos and stories on social media a bit much at this stage. There's some so self-regarding and vaguely patronising about them.
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    Escapism from reality a few weeks for many, it's called living life.

Yeah, if only more people had heard of these new-fangled holiday things. :pac: Thank you, Irish_rat, for opening our eyes!

LorMal wrote: »
    I agree OP. In the minds of many Irish supporters, there appears to be a competition to be regarded as 'the best fans in the world'.

+1

And having watched the Wales game on Saturday, I don't even think we're winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

its not enough to have the fun, oh no , you have to dance with your smartphone held aloft. generation "me's" pose ....an anthitesis to the statue of liberty.

Probably my favourite poster on here. Nail on head every time.

Omackeral wrote: »

Eh, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Eh, it's not.

It was harmless, made the flat owners day I'm sure. Compared to what he must have thought when hundreds of football fans with a drop or two of alcohol on board turn up outside his window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

LOOOL

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

People knocking other people's ability to have fun is a bit sad and pathetic.

I would agree that the media reporting is a bit OTT. But the fans themselves are doing very little wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Just realised the ranter above has a rugby related user name. Well oh well. Another boring rugger fan that looks down on soccer fans enjoying themselves by escaping their working class lives for just a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I copied and pasted that post to the custom tricolour website but the error message says it is too long.

"Bantz o'clock" and a picture of Mrs. Brown it is then.

*turns to camera and winks*

OK, cringe, a friend just liked a Joe.ie FB post about Irish fans serenading a nun with 'Our Father' on a train. Please, make it stop!!!

Maireadio wrote: »
    OK, cringe, a friend just liked a Joe.ie FB post about Irish fans serenading a nun with 'Our Father' on a train. Please, make it stop!!!

put em under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Now that's completely out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just realised the ranter above has a rugby related user name. Well oh well. Another boring rugger fan that looks down on soccer fans enjoying themselves by escaping their working class lives for just a few days.

I think you will find that the 'ranter above' may be Irish and likes Rugby but he does not support the Irish Rugby team. In fact he supports New Zealand. Odd chap. Hates Ireland and being Irish.

we got a game

we got a game

we got a game to win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Oh how rude

• Advertisement

Another boring rugger fan.

Weird how you keep trying to pigeon-hole people as boring if they don't like football.

Now that's completely out of order.

Sigh. Yes, it's not rioting. I personally just find the media reporting on it embarrassing and as I said above, self-regarding.

There's been a false dichotomy put forward on this thread a few times "At least they're not rioting!!!" It's not either or. I'm enjoying the Euros but the saturation coverage of the Irish fans doing various thing is OTT and a tad embarrasing, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My ass cheeks will take a considerable effort to un-clench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

It's so close-minded the way all the proles in this thread are assuming that because some people don't like football, beer, and the bants - that they have no fun - since obviously nothing else fun happens in the world besides those things.

I go to Alton Towers & take acid - at least once a year off-peak. It's the best rush ever - peaking when going 70mph on Nemesis. Did it in Legoland Windsor too. I take acid & go hiking in Glendalough for the day. I get stoned & go rock climbing. I get stoned & record music. Do you realise some people are into other stuff that's not the usual generic "lad" pastimes (footy, lager, cars, titty mags, bants, sun/package holidays, cheeky nandos, christenings, Mrs Browns Boys, The Script, whey hey!"), yeah?

"You don't like footy & pints? You much be a boring snotty hermit".

Oh wow man you're so cool. Tell us more about how much drugs you do and how you train martial arts in your spare time :o

My ass cheeks will take a considerable effort to un-clench.

Well, I just found it a bit cringeworthy, not shocking so thankfully no unclenching for me. ;)

When you see things that (almost stilted in their staged nature) almost constantly on the net, you're struck by the thought that instead of social media simply reporting the narrative at these events, it's as if some nationalities actively use social media in order to perpetuate that narrative.

In the same way as the Russians consciously want to establish themselves in the hooligan firmament and the English want to do the Englander Abroad thing, it's like we get up out of bed over there and immediately get to work toiling on social media to be The Best Supporters In The World©

+1 Some of the stuff seems very calculated.

WarZ wrote: »
    Oh wow man you're so cool. Tell us more about how much drugs you do and how you train martial arts in your spare time :o

Predictable reply - I didn't bring it up unprovoked - I was literally asked: "What are your hobbies?" by someone who said I must be boring because I don't like football. Should I avoid the question? Should I have just said I'm a hermit & keyboard warrior living in my Mam's basement, as was implied?

And I never claimed to be cool. I do what I enjoy, whether it's popular or not I don't care - I don't think about whether it's cool to do it. Take some acid and rip along in the cool outdoor breeze at 70mph on Nemesis in Alton Towers and tell me it's not the best rush in the world when peaking on LSD. It's literally the definition of bliss.

Some people enjoy jumping on bandwagons & following a large crowd, waving at TV cameras, slapping the sides of buses, having the bants & craic in public places, singing crap inaudible songs, taking selfies - and some of us enjoy other things. This fact obviously seems to confuse football fans ITT, who have stated numerous times "you must be fun at parties" or "you're a snotty boring hermit".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

You come across as a snotty boring hermit because you act incredibly condescending towards a large portion of people. You can almost smell the smugness coming from your posts.

Yeah tournaments are great craic, especially for people that are mad about football. I assume you go to music festivals? There's no real difference. The only difference is that you act like you are somehow better than the people enjoying themselves in France which is pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm a huge fan of the Ireland team and always have been. There's a lot of negative threads on this site though about the fans, what's up with that? I admit I was a little peeved with the stupid flags adorned with Father Ted refs and other nonsense, but once the game started yesterday, I can't remember seeing us playing such great football in any tournament it was a joy to behold (until we scored!). I'm currently in Spain and not reading the Journal and this joe.ie people keep mentioning so I haven't been watching the 1000s of clips I'm sure fans are uploading. They're pretty easy to avoid though folks! So far I'm loving having Ireland in the tournament, just enjoy it for what it is - I was also delighted I didn't spot any of the silly flags at the game, except "Dail Bar on Tour", which I kind of liked, and I think I saw it at the last tournament :)
    Anyway, let's hope we smash the Belgians, bunch of Divas that they are! They'll be no match for Lionel Wessi and the boys :)

• Advertisement

I'm a huge fan of the Ireland team and always have been. There's a lot of negative threads on this site though about the fans, what's up with that? I admit I was a little peeved with the stupid flags adorned with Father Ted refs and other nonsense, but once the game started yesterday, I can't remember seeing us playing such great football in any tournament it was a joy to behold (until we scored!).

Well, I don't anyone is complaining about the team and the football they played. And I'm sure most of the fans are grand. But the media reporting and the antics of some of the fans are not to some people's taste. It doesn't make us minus craic and, let's face it, craic means different things to different people! I mean, you said you find the Father Ted refs overkill. Well, to others, some other Irish fan antics aren't to their taste.

Advertisement