Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Maireadio wrote: »
    Well, I don't anyone is complaining about the team and the football they played. And I'm sure most of the fans are grand. But the media reporting and the antics of some of the fans are not to some people's taste. It doesn't make us minus craic and, let's face it, craic means different things to different people! I mean, you said you find the Father Ted refs overkill. Well, to others, some other Irish fan antics aren't to their taste.

But you can't blame football, or the lads over there for this media stuff.
    You can't go on the independent (yes they're down there with the journal now) or the said journal or daily edge or whatever without there being a "THESE LADS WENT ON A ROAD TRIP IN IRELAND AND DID SOMETHING IN EVERY COUNTY" type of nonsense article. They show up daily anyway. Everything is recorded now, which kind of takes a bit of the fairytale of away trip "banter" away from the experience, but you can't blame the fans. What you can blame is lazy gutter journalism who can't think of anything better to print. Seriously it's pretty easy to avoid, I haven't clicked on anything since the journal creamed itself over moronic slogans on flags the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I think it's fantastic. What I dislike is when Irish people go around bragging "this why everyone loves us."

Think about that for second. Imagine being around someone that went on like that from any other country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

There great craic abroad but id say ud hate to be stuck with these type of people at home

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Weird how you keep trying to pigeon-hole people as boring if they don't like football.

Hey Kenny, I thought I already schooled you on basic logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

But you can't blame football, or the lads over there for this media stuff.

Firstly, again, nobody is blaming football! I don't know where you are getting that from. I'm really enjoying the Euros.

Secondly, the bolded bit depends on which video you're looking at. Some stuff seems a bit calculated as noted earlier. Whereas others are just capturing spontaneous fun. And yes, we can ignore it, but I'm pretty active on FB and due to friends and acquaintances sharing stuff and liking stuff, it's actually difficult enought to avoid the overkill of coverage. I'm not subscribed to anything to the main offending sites, and yet I have seen more of this kind of coverage than I would ever wish to!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Firstly, again, nobody is blaming football! I don't know where you are getting that from. I'm really enjoying the Euros.

Secondly, the bolded bit depends on which video you're looking at. Some stuff seems a bit calculated as noted earlier. Whereas others are just capturing spontaneous fun. And yes, we can ignore it, but I'm pretty active on FB and due to friends and acquaintances sharing stuff and liking stuff, it's actually difficult enought to avoid the overkill of coverage. I'm not subscribed to anything to the main offending sites, and yet I have seen more of this kind of coverage than I would ever wish to!

Well really your complaints should be directed at the way society tries to define itself through social media, rather than this event in particular. I think it's due to insecurity really and people in developed nations lacking any sense of belonging or being. We kind of live as automatons to consumerism and what we're told makes us happy. Community goes out the window as we get richer now and we become more isolated. Once you have everything else in life, money, shelter, etc, you start to get towards the top end of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (here's my old college lectures coming out now),and a sense of belonging and purpose comes to the fore. Maybe that's why so many fish for likes on Facebook (and boards) these days as it gives them a little hit of confidence like a small line of cocaine... I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong by the way this is an interesting discussion. So you see, any gathering of people is an excuse to post yourself all over the internet these days, regardless of the event, whether it be the Euros, Coachella, or a sun holiday in Marbs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

WarZ wrote: »
    You come across as a snotty boring hermit because you act incredibly condescending towards a large portion of people. You can almost smell the smugness coming from your posts.

I disagree - I never said I was better than them. I said I enjoy different things, which seems to annoy people. And I was replying to the people ITT who say you must be boring for not enjoying the zany capers of the 'lads abroad'.
    I assume you go to music festivals? There's no real difference. The only difference is that you act like you are somehow better than the people enjoying themselves in France which is pathetic.

No, I don't - why would you assume that? You football fans sure do assume a lot of things. And then you make an entire point based off something you wrongly assumed. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

I love how when these guys are shouting at balconies and climbing on cars with no regard for the neighbours or inhabitants they are great banter and a credit to us all.

Yet when garth wants to play a bit of landfill country music for slurry munchers in our own city it's forbidden as he will wake the locals for 5 nights. It's a shame as they could have got double the use from their plastic hammers.

Seems the banter is OK once someone else has to clean it up.

If these guys are such a credit to us why don't we have 24 hour licensing laws here. Let them drink on grafton Street and Stephen's green en masse.

They can change a tyre for a stricken dame on Haddington road and shout at balconies on fade Street.

They seem to have Carte blanche from the media once they pass lambay island.

Take a piss on the champs elyssee and it's banter

Have a rickshaw race on Kildare Street and it's a night in store Street for you.

Well really your complaints should be directed at the way society tries to define itself through social media, rather than this event in particular. I think it's due to insecurity really and people in developed nations lacking any sense of belonging or being.

Ireland's a developed country. ;) And I can't see why we'd feel we belong less than other European nations, some of which are much newer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I disagree - I never said I was better than them. I said I enjoy different things, which seems to annoy people. And I was replying to the people ITT who say you must be boring for not enjoying the zany capers of the 'lads abroad'.

Your language when referring to these people was entirely derogatory and smarmy. You appear as being smug as a result.

No, I don't - why would you assume that? You football fans sure do assume a lot of things. And then you make an entire point based off something you wrongly assumed. Weird.

The fact that you stated that you record music. Generally people that play and love music go to music events.

• Advertisement

Generally people that play and love music go to music events.

I do go to events - but you said festivals. I don't go to festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Nehe milner skudder, I disagree with you but your ranting is absolutely top class.

There is some truth in the cringe worthiness but I blame the tabloid media and websites for that rather than the people out there having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I do go to events - but you said festivals. I don't go to festivals.

Incredibly pedantic and it doesn't even change my point :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

OK, cringe, a friend just liked a Joe.ie FB post about Irish fans serenading a nun with 'Our Father' on a train. Please, make it stop!!!

Stop reading fb posts you don't want to.

Incredibly pedantic and it doesn't even change my point :rolleyes:

Not pedantic - just a pity you don't know the difference between a single gig or performance, and a festival.

keith16 wrote: »
    Stop reading fb posts you don't want to.

So read them first so you know what they are, and then decide if you want to read them or not? Wow - that makes so much sense.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Nehe milner skudder, I disagree with you but your ranting is absolutely top class.

There is some truth in the cringe worthiness but I blame the tabloid media and websites for that rather than the people out there having fun.
    I have a very big issue with society as we now know it.

As wibbs eluded to in another thread " social media weaponises narcissism "

I would add that it has enabled banter to go nuclear.

Andy Warhol wasn't even close to how bad it was going to get.

And what's even worse is I now know for a fact that we are out numbed by clowns by about 5/1.

The knobends have taken over . You don't need to do journalism or be a broadcaster to have a voice. Every Richard cranium has 2000 followers .

It's not subject to any intellectual scrutiny.

Armchair philosophers and personal trainers with no qualifications tweeting about haters and if you believe anything is achievable.

I'm afraid not petal. Not everyone gets what they want.the world can't support that many ballerinas and astronauts.

Some people are just ****e.

So read them first so you know what they are, and then decide if you want to read them or not? Wow - that makes so much sense.

The world is full of people seeking out things to be offended about, things they read about that they supposedly have no interest in, just so they can re-affirm whatever it is they think.

It's seeking validation. Insecure and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It was harmless, made the flat owners day I'm sure.

Its not really though, I bet that flat owner would have been far happier had the crowd of yahoos outside his window ****ed off and gave him some peace and quiet for a while.

Its all good craic in a one minute facebook video but in the real world there are a lot of french people that probably wish the "lads" would just get off the road and let the damn traffic through.
    bigpink wrote: »
    There great craic abroad but id say ud hate to be stuck with these type of people at home

If you want to know the truth of this just ask any long term resident who has to put up with university students during term time, they just love drunk idiots sitting in the street singing "rock the boat" at 3 in the morning. Best students in the world yeah?

I'm sure the atmosphere over there is good fun and hey, at least they aren't rioting, but behind all the best fans in the world banter I'll bet there are a lot of locals wondering what this lot are actually "fans" off, the football or the session?

I'm sure the atmosphere over there is good fun and hey, at least they aren't rioting, but behind all the best fans in the world banter I'll bet there are a lot of locals wondering if this lot are here for the football or for the session...

oh noes...the poor locals questioning our footballing integrity. Ireland's shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

keith16 wrote: »
    oh noes...the poor locals questioning our footballing integrity. Ireland's shame.

Well you would say that, wouldn't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Well they seem to be behaving and doing the country a service, that is always good for a countries image and possibly tourism.

But as far as I can see, its only the Irish media that keeps pushing it. Why Irish people think they are the exception to everything I don't know. We are no different than the other fans from other nations having fun.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Well they seem to be behaving and doing the country a service, that is always good for a countries image and possibly tourism.

But as far as I can see, its only the Irish media that keeps pushing it. Why Irish people think they are the exception to everything I don't know. We are no different than the other fans from other nations having fun.

What service prey tell ?

Elemonator wrote: »

What service prey tell ?

Sky King wrote: »
    Irish fans best craic ever, laddy-lads doing craic-filled lad stuff (so much craic) wit da IRISH FAN CRAIC BANTERR zzOMG so proud 2 B Irish #COYBIG #Ireland4ever #proud2birish

It is tedious to be sure to be sure. And is it just me or is there even more of this bollocks this time round than ever before?

I think so, due to the rise of various social meeja channels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Saw that nun video not very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Just watched a tyre changing one. Plenty of self congratulations going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

bigpink wrote: »
    Saw that nun video not very nice

Prats. Look at us, aren't we great? Join in, JOIN IN, JOIN ****ING IN BITCH, WE ARE GREAT CRAIC!!!!LOVE US!!!!!
    Best fans in the world. ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

That nun video was too ****ing far. What annoys me is those ***** would probably barely speak to the person beside them if they weren't hammered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Few posters on here need to get a good dose of lighten the feck up into them

:pac:

Advertisement