Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

El Chapo wrote: »
    The Poles and Germans are also at it. As are the French themselves. Wait until the Slovaks and Ukrainians get going.

I'm going over next Tuesday and I can't bloody wait. I've worked and saved hard and I'm going to have a great time.

I couldn't care less what people like you think, must be tiresome wallowing in constant bitterness.

#COYBIG

Actually, I wish people travelling over there well, I hope they all have fun.

People seem to be incapable of understanding what people have a problem with. It's not people going on holidays or having fun. I was at a pub yesterday for the Ireland game and have a great time (note: I wasn't bathing in bitterness). I have no idea how people can't parse the thread and figure out what the issue is. Instead, sure, cast aspersions on people you know nothing about based on their criticisms of what the thread is actually about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've have zero interest in football or any other sport, zilch, nada.

But I don't mind all the banter videos.

Sure, they're great craic. Much better that than sports politics or corruption.

The fact that social media is "running" with this is a great incentive for that peaceful attitude to last the whole hog, and the pat on the back is deserved.

And of course, great role modelling there for all the teenagers and younger watching this. Right, there's alcohol involved and on show, but the drinking culture is all around our children either way, so I'd overlook that for all the feel-good positiveness that goes with seeing a lot of young men singing cheerfully, changing old people's tyres, and cheering old folks on their balcony with no violence involved.

More #yolo #dabantz #championquaffers coming my way for the next two weeks or so ?

Ahhh gowan, bring it on. I'll just scroll if I've had enough.

Or hide posts, you know, you can do that too :)

You can block certain websites from showing up in your newsfeed, so can block Joe.ie, without unfollowing the friend in question ;)

I blocked buzzfeed for example and it clears a lot of junk from my feed.

I also blocked buzzfeed, and I probably will indeed block the offending websites. But, as I said, it came to head today, and as I said it crept up on me. So yes, that's what I'll do from this evening. At least I won't have to be witness to stories about the no doubt minority of Irish fans self-fellating themselves because they are Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Maireadio wrote: »
    Actually, I wish people travelling over there well, I hope they all have fun.

People seem to be incapable of understanding what people have a problem with. It's not people going on holidays or having fun. I was at a pub yesterday for the Ireland game and have a great time (note: I wasn't bathing in bitterness). I have no idea how people can't parse the thread and figure out what the issue is. Instead, sure, cast aspersions on people you know nothing about based on their criticisms of what the thread is actually about.
    So, you partook in the parade but now you're on here complaining about your FB friends talking about it but you're "not in the business of blocking friends".

What the fcuk do you want us to do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I writing about the fact on boards.ie. Not "shouting", not being "outraged", not being "offended", just putting forth my views on the subject, as one is wont to do on a discussion board.

I can't make it any simpler for you. If you still don't get it, I can't help you any further.

No need to simplify. What exactly are you writing about? What is the discussion to be had here? There is none. No discussion of any merit at all.

You're on here to laugh at the idiots on joe.ie, nothing more. Don't pretend there is any discussion to further here.

I'd be taking a closer look at the idiots who read joe.ie tbh

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    You're on here to laugh at the idiots on joe.ie, nothing more. Don't pretend there is any discussion to further here.

Naturally. :) It's a terrible, terrible website, and anyone aiming to get on it isn't much better. (And some people are definitely aiming for that with their terrible, terrible flags and clearly practiced musical version of 'Our Father') I don't really care if that makes me sound stuck up. So be it. :)
    El Chapo wrote: »
    So, you partook in the parade but now you're on here complaining about your FB friends talking about it but you're "not in the business of blocking friends".

What the fcuk do you want us to do about it?

Nothing at all. Why would I want you do anything about it? :confused:

As for taking part in the parade - WTactualF? Going to a pub to watch a game?

Oi, anyway, I've said my piece here. Have fun in France, whoever is travelling. I have a bath of bitterness to bathe in.

Naturally. :) It's a terrible, terrible website, and anyone aiming to get on isn't much better.

I'd tend to agree. Seems you believe this is all Irish fans attending the games however which is where my agreement ends.

(And some people are definitely aiming for that with their terrible, terrible flags and clearly practiced musical version of 'Our Father') I don't really care if that makes me sound stuck up. So be it. :)

That's a remarkable piece of insight into something you haven't clicked on.

That's a remarkable piece of insight into something you haven't clicked on.

I said that was the one I did click on. I actually said that in reply to one of your posts. I said in reply to you that I did actually click on the nun link (the only one I did click on) and watched the video. And you replied to that reply. Did you not read the post you replied to?

If you are going to come back with a snarky reply, please pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

I find it over-done and cringey - that is just my opinion. But I still find it hugely preferable to fighting and rioting. "Yeah well Irish fans can be as bad" in response to the violence by English (and other) hooligans simply does not fly.

I said that was the one I did click on. I actually said that in reply to one of your posts. I said in reply to you that I did actually click on the nun link (the only one I did click on) and watched the video. And you replied to that reply. Did you not read the post you replied to?

If you are going to come back with a snarky reply, please pay attention.

Sorry, I was too busy serenading a flag to get on to Joe.ie. What are we talking about again?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I was too busy serenading a flag to get on to Joe.ie. What are we talking about again?

Truce? :) Nobody wants to read back and forth dualling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Work colleague just described it as "Like Temple Bar on Paddy's day"

Two Tone wrote: »
    I find it over-done and cringey - that is just my opinion. But I still find it hugely preferable to fighting and rioting. "Yeah well Irish fans can be as bad" in response to the violence by English (and other) hooligans simply does not fly.

I think we all acknowledge that Irish fan behaviour is preferable but you can be abhorred at the fan violence and simultaneously irriatated at some of the Irish fan behaviour. I don't think anyone has really equated the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Work colleague just described it as "Like Temple Bar on Paddy's day"

Or Arthur's day - the "lads" loved a bit of Arthur's day too - any bandwagon they can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I think we all acknowledge that Irish fan behaviour is preferable but you can be abhorred at the fan violence and simultaneously irriatated at some of the Irish fan behaviour. I don't think anyone has really equated the two.

They're all the way in france. They're really easy to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Long story short, yes, I am bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Hmm sitting at home on boards giving out about fans having a good time and sharing the expierence with people from Ireland.

What is the world coming to!!!!

Pack of begrudgers.

Wonzy wrote: »
    Hmm sitting at home on boards giving out about fans having a good time and sharing the expierence with people from Ireland.

What is the world coming to!!!!

Pack of begrudgers.

Yes - people who don't like the "lads on tour" must be begrudgers. And jealous. And boring. They have no lives. No other explanation - nothing to do with the fact they're annoying simpletons.

Yes - people who don't like the "lads on tour" must be begrudgers. And jealous. And boring. They have no lives. No other explanation - nothing to do with the fact they're annoying simpletons.

So people enjoying themselves are a pack of simpletons? It does sound like your jealous. If you don't like the videos you don't have to watch. I find some of them hilarious and only wish I was there.

Tasden wrote: »
    They're all the way in france. They're really easy to avoid.

Wow, really? Didn't know. Thought they were just down the road. ;)

Can people drop this line of argument? Shure, why bother criticising anything? "It doesn't effect me, why would I criticise it?".

Everybody here on this forum has at one stage or another criticised something that doesn't directly effect them. Every one of us. It's human nature.

• Advertisement

So people enjoying themselves are a pack of simpletons?

No. Simpletons enjoying themselves are a pack of simpletons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Something tells me that the irony in complaining about people making sweeping generalizations while making one yourself has gone completely over your head.

WarZ wrote: »
    Something tells me that the irony in complaining about people making sweeping generalizations while making one yourself has gone completely over your head.

I think it's in relation to the moronic social media-courting and buffoonery of some of the fans. Obviously not all of the fans.

WarZ wrote: »

They are like a herd of cattle though. Predictable, not much going on upstairs, and simple needs - beer & football.

They are like a herd of cattle though. Predictable, not much going on upstairs, and simple needs - beer & football.

So only simple people celebrate like that? Seriously? Talk about generalisations. I think it's your the one that's simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Wow, really? Didn't know. Thought they were just down the road. ;)

Can people drop this line of argument? Shure, why bother criticising anything? "It doesn't effect me, why would I criticise it?".

Everybody here on this forum has at one stage or another criticised something that doesn't directly effect them. Every one of us. It's human nature.

Yeah you're perfectly entitled to moan about whatever annoys you but its a nice positive thing happening for alot of people in our country, some of it is a bit ott but its a group of irish people being happy and having fun and people are actually moaning about it when they can easily just ignore it if they are irriatated by it rather than being negative about something that is anything but.
    There are plenty of genuinely annoying things happening in the country every day but people are giving out about something that is just lighthearted fun and hapiness for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

Or Arthur's day - the "lads" loved a bit of Arthur's day too - any bandwagon they can find.

Reminds me of Forbidden Fruit a few weeks back. Another festival taken over by the "look at me" brigade going around with a stick up their arse like they are an A list celeb at Coachella. And the sheep with their bandanas and braids. Vain vacuous idiots more interested in posing for their smartphone pictures to show off on instagram with some inane #hashtag, than having fun or the music.

Then again why would they be interested in the music, they never heard of any of the bands they are just there be seen and to post on social media. Sarah-Annabelle just wants to show off her new top and the nose job that Daddy got her for her birthday. I wonder when she will realise she can't get buy a personality. Maybe Brown Thomas have one on sale

Where is the next stop on the Celtic Tiger express, please let me off I just got sick in my mouth. I fear for this countries future I really do

Talk about generalisations.

It's kinda easy to generalise about them when they literally travel in large herds doing the exact same things. In fact, that's exactly when generalisations hold water.

Tasden wrote: »
    There are plenty of genuinely annoying things happening in the country every day but people are giving out about something that is just lighthearted fun and hapiness for a change.

People can be irritated by multiple things to multiple degrees! Again, every one of us has likely been irritated by stuff that isn't of huge importance.

• Advertisement

It's kinda easy to generalise about them when they literally travel in large herds doing the exact same things. In fact, that's exactly when generalisations hold water.

You could say the same thing about people playing sport, about getting married, busing a house. Your talking absolute nonsense.

Advertisement