Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Irish banter are you bored of it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Has anybody used the word "begrudgery" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Wonzy wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about people playing sport, about getting married, busing a house. Your talking absolute nonsense.

Eh, are you sure they travel in large herds, 1000s at a time, like all the lads at the Euros?

But I digress - you could say that about other things. However, most of these lads do have predictable generic pastimes. They're a dime a dozen.

Football
    Beer
    The Pub with the lads!
    Souped Up Cars
    Lad mags
    Bants
    Red top newspapers
    Sun/package holidays
    cheeky nandos
    Negative equity
    No driveways
    Christenings
    Mrs Browns Boys
    The Script
    The Coronas
    Beer O’Clock
    Betting (or a ‘flutter’)
    "Sure it has to be done"

Has anybody used the word "begrudgery" yet?

Multiple predictable people have, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Maireadio wrote: »
    People can be irritated by multiple things to multiple degrees!

Yep, that's why there's a trivial things that annoy you thread! It's incredibly trivial to be irriatated by fans in another country enjoying themselves. I just don't see why people would want to complain about something positive when there are so many negative things happening all the time; if they irritate you just don't watch the videos, its not like its the annoying guy in the office who types really loudly and theres nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Eh, are you sure they travel in large herds, 1000s at a time, like all the lads at the Euros?

But I digress - you could say that about other things. However, most of these lads do have predictable generic pastimes. They're a dime a dozen.

Football
    Beer
    The Pub with the lads!
    Souped uP Cars
    Lad mags
    Bants
    Red top newspapers
    Sun/package holidays
    cheeky nandos
    Christenings
    Mrs Browns Boys
    The Script
    The Coronas
    Beer O’Clock
    Betting (or a ‘flutter’)
    "Sure it has to be done"

No they don't, you're applying your ridiculous preconception to a massive group of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought the corresponding thread about this four years ago was a low on boards but it's got competition now. Sixteen pages so far of people banging on about something they're "not outraged" about. And what is it that's getting people so worked up?

Irish people drinking abroad? So what? I don't drink and even I don't begrudge them having some fun as long as they don't harm anyone else.

Posting videos of themselves online? Has anyone looked at the Internet lately. It's full of selfies of all sorts, not just from football fans. It's nothing new, and unlike taking a photo in your bathroom, they're sharing what they're doing at a big event for their friends to see.

They're "event junkies"? In every sport, and every walk of life, people are drawn to the bigger events. How many who were at Bruce Springsteen were supporting their local rock band in their local venue all week? Do you all think to support Irish film-makers showing their wares in niche festivals when you're watching the latest blockbuster?

The media are blowing up the fans' behaviour, calling them the best in the world? Of course they're not the best -- there's no way to measure it, but does it really annoy you that much? It's hyperbole, it's what the media do, and really, it's trivial.

It's all over the media? No it isn't. There have never been more ways to avoid sport. Even if some of your Facebook friends are posting about it, guess what? You scroll past and wheee -- there's a life-affirming quote for you.

And last but not least, they're all stupid because of the sport or teams they follow -- believe it or not, that's not a measure of intelligence, and if you really think it is... you can guess the rest.

People have been saying the fans' behaviour reflects badly on society, but not half as much as the mean-spirited, thin-skinned attitudes here.

No they don't, you're applying your ridiculous preconception to a massive group of people.

I'd say they tick 5 or 6 of those boxes - which is enough. They don't tick all of them. Maybe some do, but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Kenny you're coming across as incredibly bitter and hostile to what is a large segment of the population. Something tells me you aren't great socially because I simply cannot fathom how anyone could hold such an attitude otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Any yokes wrote: »
    Reminds me of Forbidden Fruit a few weeks back. Another festival taken over by the "look at me" brigade going around with a stick up their arse like they are an A list celeb at Coachella. And the sheep with their bandanas and braids. Vain vacuous idiots more interested in posing for their smartphone pictures to show off on instagram with some inane #hashtag, than having fun or the music.

Then again why would they be interested in the music, they never heard of any of the bands they are just there be seen and to post on social media. Sarah-Annabelle just wants to show off her new top and the nose job that Daddy got her for her birthday. I wonder when she will realise she can't get buy a personality. Maybe Brown Thomas have one on sale

Where is the next stop on the Celtic Tiger express, please let me off I just got sick in my mouth. I fear for this countries future I really do

Some great observations but why the hatred ?

They're just big eejits and they'll grow out of it.
    In the meantime, the image that they project of Irish youth in this very instance is alright, despite the usual alcohol stigma.

You know you're projecting a bit of a foaming at the mouth pedant image yourself. It makes it harder to consider your points.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

a hungry feeling

came o'er
    me stealing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭omerin

Hope it continues, the league of Ireland is not without violence at games and around the stadiums. Cork city supporters have been attacked a couple of times at away games recently, so hopefully those pricks that caused trouble didn't travel over

WarZ wrote: »
    Something tells me you aren't great socially because I simply cannot fathom how anyone could hold such an attitude otherwise.

I hate most people - they're idiots.

I'd say they tick 5 or 6 of those boxes - which is enough. They don't tick all of them. Maybe some do, but not all.

Some of them might, but to claim the majority of literally thousands if not tens of thousands of people all like the same five or six things is bizarre. Even if they did - so what? They like different things than you, Whoop de do.

and the rats were squealing in my prison cell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Coincidentally in that episode all the smug kids take acid, guess who else was at pains to tell us about how much acid he does :p

and the old triangle

went jingle jangle

I hate most people - they're idiots.

Psuedointellectual guff, or trolling. I can't decide.

all along the banks of the royal canal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Id say alot of them are the same types that act the ape at home on nights out etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Tasden wrote: »
    Yep, that's why there's a trivial things that annoy you thread! It's incredibly trivial to be irriatated by fans in another country enjoying themselves. I just don't see why people would want to complain about something positive when there are so many negative things happening all the time; if they irritate you just don't watch the videos, its not like its the annoying guy in the office who types really loudly and theres nothing you can do about it.

Blinding originality there.

There's no point repeating myself.

But I will reiterate on one thing; I don't believe you have never on boards.ie complained about something inconsequential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Maireadio wrote: »
    I think we all acknowledge that Irish fan behaviour is preferable but you can be abhorred at the fan violence and simultaneously irriatated at some of the Irish fan behaviour.
    That is how I would see it too.
    I don't think anyone has really equated the two.
    No, not here - and I would say not anywhere after the violence broke out, but I was seeing it elsewhere prior to the tournament starting. Not a huge amount of it for sure, but that whataboutery was being trotted out. It might have been due to the way a significant number of Irish people act the gobshyte abroad, in e.g. Australia and the U.S. And in fairness, that kind of stuff - being loud, messy, destructive, even if not exactly politically charged rioting, is still uncalled for.

I can see where people are coming from in all directions - the OTT Ireland fans (obviously not all Ireland fans) are being good-natured, and stuff like the singing for the guy who died is all good. But it gets too leprechauny and paddywacky and... kinda undignified. I understand people's distaste at many of them being total fairweather football supporters too, who wouldn't bother with their own domestic league. It's this overdoing of "We're great craic and the best fans in the world and shur doesn't everyone love the Irish" (answer: no!) - jeez, have a bit of decorum and self awareness! The comments on social media, e.g. that story about the tyre changing! (Nice thing to do obviously but it is the kind of good gesture lots of people would make). Stuff like "We're the best country in the world", "What do you expect? They're Irish!", "It's how we were brought up", "Other countries could learn from us". I mean, that kind of backslapping is just fierce childlike. People most certainly do not always find it objectionable just because of "begrudgery", that's a lazy assessment.

I love Ireland and hate the way it gets put down but I don't agree with the above either - there is a happy medium I think.

Well said, Two Tone.

behind the lonely prison wall

i heard a young girl calling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Any yokes

The team, media and manager love the fans

They are a distraction from how pathetic we are as a side and a nation. I suppose we should be dancing round O'Connell St that Glen Whelan knocked the ball out of play instead of making an attack in the 92nd minute, all so he could scratch his bollox. Lets all celebrate and drink 10 pints because we drew with another average team of millionaires

We are a failed state, the world would be better off if this Island sank to the bottom of the sea. Then again they would have nobody to laugh at and pat on the head. It's great for them to have drunk Paddy dance around like a monkey for them, while they snigger to their mates behind his back. They must all get a good laugh out of us. And as long as Paddy gets attention and his desperate need to feel loved, he is very happy indeed. Please rub his belly and throw him a bone, before he comes back to his owner wagging his tail in delight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Two Tone wrote: »
    But it gets too leprechauny and paddywacky and... kinda undignified.

Nail on the head.

That's what has been bothering me; it's undignified. Just undignified. And kind of playing into the stereotypes some people abroad no doubt still hold about us.

And don't me started on the "Shure doesn't everyone love us, proud to be Irish" guff. Embarrassing.

The rest of your post is bang on too. Put it better than I did!

They are a distraction from how pathetic we are as a side and a nation. I suppose we should be dancing round O'Connell St that Glen Whelan knocked the ball out of play instead of making an attack in the 92nd minute, all so he could scratch his bollox. Lets all celebrate and drink 10 pints because we drew with another average team of millionaires

We are a failed state, the world would be better off if this Island sank to the bottom of the sea. Then again they would have nobody to laugh at and pat on the head. It's great for them to have drunk Paddy dance around like a monkey for them, while they snigger to their mates behind his back. They must all get a good laugh out of us. And as long as Paddy gets attention and his desperate need to feel loved, he is very happy indeed. Please rub his belly and throw him a bone, before he comes back to his owner wagging his tail in delight

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

That's the spirit!

Are you posting from the Dail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Elemonator wrote: »
    More of a figure of speech. I was trying to sum up in general that they are being respectful, not causing too much trouble and overall giving other tourists in France a good image of Ireland which is always a good thing. Of course you could say that's the way it should be anyway.

Kind of like a well behaved child is a credit to their parents.

Being completely pissed, singing the same 3 or 4 songs over and over again for hours on end, blocking traffic, acting like gormless cretins.
    That's not an image I relate to, or identify with.

• Advertisement

XR3i wrote: »
    behind the lonely prison wall

i heard a young girl calling

Your gimmick is sh*t - move along.

Advertisement