Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cat5 cable for unknown route

Options
  • 14-06-2016 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Moved into a new apartment. Shall be gaming from my room, and as we don't have access to the fusebox, I'm going to assume that there's one for the entire building. Thus, homeplug network wouldn't be that secure.

So, I'm going to go the Cat5 route. Shall be using a cable at least 16.6 meters (54'ish feet) long, and it'll have to be white (easier to hide it against a white roof at the short exposed section). The ceiling has these things on it;

388781.jpg

so plan to put it up one corner, feed it along, and have it come out near the router, pin it to the roof for it's final bit, and then down behind some piping.

Now, not entirey sure what the setup in the part above said ceiling is like, but between me and the room that the router is in, there's a bathroom. If I l'm unable to feed it over the bathroom (ceiling blocks may be glused down there), I'll feed the cable around the bathroom.

Thus, I'll be getting a 100 foot long cable. Am in Toronto, so they seem to be around the $16 mark.

But before I buy said cable, should I be looking for any sort in particular? Is there any cable that I should look at to minimize interferance by nearby electical cables?

Comments

Advertisement