Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lower Back Exercises - Dumbbells

• 14-06-2016 7:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone advise on some solid lower back exercises that target the lower back but can be done with dumbbells.
    I work out at home so have limited equipment.

I suppose one exercise I'm trying to replicate is the deadlift but when I look online the form and technique looks more or less the same for normal/stiff/Romanian/good mornings with dumbbells.

Any exercise suggestions along with tips on form would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Stiff leg deadlift tech with DBs is basically the same as barbell.

...but I'm not sure if I'm reading your Q correctly.

Also, slow tempo bent over rows - 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down for 10 reps. That'l give you 60s time under tension at your lower back from a supporting perspective.

Core work is probably more important for lower back health anyway so make sure you're doing plenty of that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Back raises with dumbells. Excellent movement
    https://youtu.be/ArBNc_quDhQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

CWF wrote: »
    Back raises with dumbells. Excellent movement
    https://youtu.be/ArBNc_quDhQ

You reckon he's got a hyper bench at home in a gym that just has Dumbbells?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks Hanley. I was asking two different questions but you picked up on both!
    How do I do a deadlift with dumbbells and what are other lower back exercises for dummbeels only/home.

Interestingly my next question was going to is there a way to do hyperextensions at home without the requisite bench!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I guess he could lie on the couch with his belly over the side of the armrest and a friend sitting on his feet...

• Advertisement

I guess he could lie on the couch with his belly over the side of the armrest and a friend sitting on his feet...

Exactly!

Thanks Hanley. I was asking two different questions but you picked up on both!
    How do I do a deadlift with dumbbells and what are other lower back exercises for dummbeels only/home.

Interestingly my next question was going to is there a way to do hyperextensions at home without the requisite bench!

You could lie belly down on a short sturdy table I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CWF wrote: »
    You could lie belly down on a short sturdy table I suppose

That has all the makings of an exercise FAIL video on YouTube!! :)

Advertisement