Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon MTB Service

Options
  • 14-06-2016 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hello guys (and girls),

Is there any shop that can service the shocks of a Canyon MTB (both fox)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

These guys: Here do full fox suspension servicing in South Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Oh right, forgot about them, thanks. Are the same guys still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Bikeology in Naas would be worth a call if you're stuck either. I can't say for certain that they would be able to help, hence I'd say ring them first, but several if not all of the lads working there are big into their MTBs, so they'd have a vested interest in catering for that market!

Thanks, I 'll give them a shout, location wise Naas is much better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://blog.madelkcycles.com/mtb-suspension-service-center.html

Haven't used them, but not bad location wise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://blog.madelkcycles.com/mtb-suspension-service-center.html

Haven't used them, but not bad location wise!

These lads do amazing things with bikes but the prices are eye watering.

They'd definitely know their way around all mtb components.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    These lads do amazing things with bikes but the prices are eye watering.

Do you have any idea on the service prices?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Do you have any idea on the service prices?

Third hand info is all I have but a mate was quoted in and around €200 front and rear rock shox but got a local lad to service them for €120.

This is presumably the case with any store though there will always be someone cheaper. I'd imagine the quality in mad elk is always top notch though.

Price list:

http://madelkcycles.com/124-bicycle-service-pricelist

Their prices aren't actually to bad but some are ridiculous - fit bike comp/replace tape etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Sorry mildly off topic, but would any bike shop service a canyon bike? I'm thinking of getting one in a few months and just wondering how I'd get it serviced and that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ec18 wrote: »
    Sorry mildly off topic, but would any bike shop service a canyon bike? I'm thinking of getting one in a few months and just wondering how I'd get it serviced and that?

Yes, the above mentioned in my post regularly services Canyons, pivot bearings, shocks and other mechanicals...

• Advertisement

Any decent bike shop will service any bike most of the components aren't unique to a particular bike manufacturer. I think the only issue with Canyon is they have a unique stem diameter should you want to change that and rear derailleur hanger should you break one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Any decent bike shop will service any bike most of the components aren't unique to a particular bike manufacturer. I think the only issue with Canyon is they have a unique stem diameter should you want to change that and rear derailleur hanger should you break one.

Not quite unique, but certainly unusual. Several of the higher end Giant road bikes (to name one manufacturer) are also using 1 1/4" steerer tubes now though, so Giant sell stems to fit also.

Price list:

http://madelkcycles.com/124-bicycle-service-pricelist

Their prices aren't actually to bad but some are ridiculous - fit bike comp/replace tape etc.

Damn.. for a full service and suspensions, I need 400 euro.. Yeah I think I ll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Can't go wrong with Expert Cycles in Rathfarnham!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I would not complain if I was buying from the usual back of the house Irish garage. I bought from proper dealer with Audi badge on it.

The Giant Store on the long mile road are fully equipped for Fox Suspension. afaik they were trained by OC Tuning( the old Fox distributor )before they moved to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Expert cycles on the Main street in Rathfarnham is my choice.Not only are they top class mechicanic's but they race they're mtb's in their spare time.Plus both are multi-times National Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The prices quoted to service shocks can be pretty steep relative to the difficulty of doing it yourself. A basic service of front forks is usually not difficult, look for a YouTube video for your particular one to get an idea.

For the price I was quoted in the Giant store to service a dodgy rear shock, I bought a nearly new one on eBay. Removing it was fairly time consuming, had to remove cranks etc. I'd be inclined to to leave the rear shock alone unless it really needs looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I could not personally agree with this statement (Caveat emptor).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Damn.. for a full service and suspensions, I need 400 euro.. Yeah I think I ll pass.

Put your haggling skills to the test...ring them or call in its better than just looking at a price list.
    Great lads to deal with and they also race themselves.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I've had Canyons since 2010, do almost all of my own work on the bikes I have but occasionally have an issue that I need an LBS to solve. I've found everywhere I've tried will do the work, but have definitely sensed a bit of attitude in some shops about it being an online purchase.

Also had one shop refuse to work on a Mavic wheelset, whcih were attached to a Canyon bike at the time, as they were 'not a Mavic dealer so wouldn't have the parts'. I pointed out they had done a hub service for me on another set of Mavics the previous year, he just shrugged his shoulders and said 'ah well, that's the problem with buying online'. Spent a few quid in there any time I had to go in, but haven't been back since.

Anyway, long story short yes, chances are any bike shop will work on your Canyon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement