Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should dealer pay?

• 14-06-2016 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I bought a second hand A6 last year from Audi dealer. When buying was told they would do the full 150 point check or whatever the hell it is. Had a few problems with vibration in steering wheel and car was in and out but finally got fixed.

I have done about 10k km in a year. The car is only at 150k km now. It was due its year service and timing belt so put into Audi to get done.

Anyway they rang just there, first asked if the car was ever serviced by Audi(it was another Audi garage where I bought it). I said it was from day 1 with full service history, so they started.
    This is on top of service and timing belt:
    Brake Fluid
    Wipers
    Fuel Filer
    Pollen Filter
    Air Con Service
    Egr valve leaking
    Front Pads
    Rear pads
    Front Disks
    Rear Disks
    Front suspension drop links

All of the above needs to be done. Comes to circa 2k in repairs. This is on top of the 800 I am paying for service/timing belt etc

The 12 month warranty is over on car but they couldn't believe a proper service was done on it when it was sold as a lot of the above would have been repaired.

I just want to know before i ring the garage do I have any come back? the Audi garage doing the service are going to give me full report.

Shoudl I go to Audi direct first to complain or ring the garage and see what they say?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You'd be in a much stronger position to complain/ look for gratuity if you went back to the dealer you bought it from for the service.

When you break it down, it isn't really the selling dealers fault that the car needs wipers, or suspension links 12+ months later. Nor is it their issue that you are due a fuel filter this service. You should really get those bits done.

You don't really "need" a cabin filter replacement or air con service, you won't exactly die without them. If there was a fault with the A/C that you were aware of, that's what your warranty was for. If you were happy with it's function or didn't regularly use it, then leave it be.

Audi are famous at this stage for being over cautious with brake pad and disc wear. Get a second non Audi franchised opinion on those.

You'll need to get them to elaborate on the EGR issue. It sounds like it does need attention and it's the only issue there that you might have some recourse with your selling dealer on, if you are only slightly outside warranty.

Tl;dr, you're mostly on your own. You aren't really entitled to anything on most of that list. Maybe if this stuff came to light weeks after purchase, but over a year on, it's your car and your maintenance. The car was most likely perfectly serviceable when.it was supplied to you, now a year later, it needs maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Brake Fluid - Every 2 years is a common change interval.
    Wipers - Wear Item. Cheaper to buy yourself.
    Fuel Filer

Pollen Filter - Every service on my car I think
    Air Con Service - AutoAircon was €45 for extraction and Recharge for me recently.
    Egr valve leaking
    Front Pads - Wear Item. Could have been fine 10k km ago.
    Rear pads - Wear Item. Could have been fine 10k km ago.
    Front Disks - Wear Item. Could have been fine 10k km ago.
    Rear Disks - Wear Item. Could have been fine 10k km ago.
    Front suspension drop links - Wear Item. Could have been fine 10k km ago.

A good independent garage will be a decent bit cheaper I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

All except EGR Valve leaking are either normal service items, or consumables. Things wear and need replacing - perhaps after a year and 10,000km say.

Quite possible a few of those bits don't need to be done. Audi are notorious for suggesting brake's all round well in advance of them being needed.

I'd tell them not to proceed with anything on that, unless they can get goodwill from Audi for an EGR valve replacement due to the FSH from Audi. Once that's done, send it to a decent independant for a service & timing belt at a much lower price than Audi will do it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, so I bought a second hand A6 last year from Audi dealer. When buying was told they would do the full 150 point check or whatever the hell it is. Had a few problems with vibration in steering wheel and car was in and out but finally got fixed.

I have done about 10k km in a year. The car is only at 150k km now. It was due its year service and timing belt so put into Audi to get done.

Anyway they rang just there, first asked if the car was ever serviced by Audi(it was another Audi garage where I bought it). I said it was from day 1 with full service history, so they started.
    Brake Fluid
    Wipers
    Fuel Filer
    Pollen Filter
    Air Con Service
    Egr valve leaking
    Front Pads
    Rear pads
    Front Disks
    Rear Disks

All of the above needs to be done. Comes to circa 2k in repairs. This is on top of the 800 I am paying for service/timing belt etc

The 12 month warranty is over on car but they couldn't believe a proper service was done on it when it was sold as a lot of the above would have been repaired.

I just want to know before i ring the garage do I have any come back? the Audi garage doing the service are going to give me full report.

Shoudl I go to Audi direct first to complain or ring the garage and see what they say?

Short answer is very little comeback...in fact none.

Mostly consumables and you have done 10k of driving in it. For all they know, you could be doing all sorts in the car in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The mistake you made here was going to Audi for the service in the first place.

Find a good independent garage, they will look after your car just as well for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

You'd be in a much stronger position to complain/ look for gratuity if you went back to the dealer you bought it from for the service.

When you break it down, it isn't really the selling dealers fault that the car needs wipers, or suspension links 12+ months later. Nor is it their issue that you are due a fuel filter this service. You should really get those bits done.

You don't really "need" a cabin filter replacement or air con service, you won't exactly die without them. If there was a fault with the A/C that you were aware of, that's what your warranty was for. If you were happy with it's function or didn't regularly use it, then leave it be.

Audi are famous at this stage for being over cautious with brake pad and disc wear. Get a second non Audi franchised opinion on those.

You'll need to get them to elaborate on the EGR issue. It sounds like it does need attention and it's the only issue there that you might have some recourse with your selling dealer on, if you are only slightly outside warranty.

Tl;dr, you're mostly on your own. You aren't really entitled to anything on most of that list. Maybe if this stuff came to light weeks after purchase, but over a year on, it's your car and your maintenance. The car was most likely perfectly serviceable when.it was supplied to you, now a year later, it needs maintenance.

10k kms is nothing, its 6250 miles, if the brake pads are that bad after a 150 point check then I question the 150 pt check, if the OP had done double the mileage even, Id expect the brakes to be ok after such a comprehensive check or warning that they will need to be done.

I appreciate they are consumable items but Id expect a car of that age/mileage that it will require certain things/work, but the OP has hardly driven it?maybe it was all off road/tracks but I suspect not, and how does that account for the brake lining material dissappearing? or it was not there in the first place.
    OP whats the thickness of the brake lining material?
    Op this is somewhat of a reminder of a post I had last year, went in to get a timing belt done and the dealer managed to disconnect a vacuum hose, it was no suprise they were upselling brake discs and pads citing how terrible my brakes had become in the time it was in their hands, plus a host of other uneccessary items, it would have been madness to get the work done they were suggesting, aside from the front discs and pads, which I did the job myself for less than €100 (bosch parts), I understand they are a business etc and a main stealer, but as advised, stay away from main stealers, the gripe is with the original garage, but I doubt you have much comeback with them now.

Even though they are consumables I find it very difficult to accept that pads all round and discs will be gone in 6250 miles of driving (the op says 10k kms) and not to be noticeable at the time of the 150pt check, they would have been on the way out at the sale if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

if you factor in there may well be plenty of meat left on the brakes now, then 10000 km ago they might only have been half worn. You'd not expect that they would have replaced them then, they may not need replacing now even.

they may not need replacing now even.

From my experience of Audi dealer service departments I would say it is highly likely that they don't need replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Guys, ok so bit more information. I brought to main dealer as it already have full Audi service history and wanted to keep this up as I plan on selling car next year....might be sooner now.

As it was timing belt I wanted to get done I wanted it done by Audi.

The car as mentioned has done 10k km in just over a year. Most of this has been on motorway so brakes not used much. To be honest I have another car which I use in town and I change brake pads a lot on this but no chance they would even wear this quick.

Audi are saying they are over 90% worn. I was talking to nice person in there and when she mentioned it I said there was no chance as I had only bought car last year. The comeback was that I was doing big mileage, when I said I had only done 10k there was silence on other end of phone. Then she started saying about they didnt sell car etc etc

I just wanted to check to see if anyone could give me an idea, going to ring garage and see what they say. I would guess I will get f**k all but I will go to Audi direct and fire in complaint. As mentioned when I bought the car it ended up 3 times back in garage to fix the same problem. They said they had serviced it when leaving and then after a month I got oil warning light so I was told it was given another full service.

• Advertisement

I will go to Audi direct and fire in complaint.

what will the nature of your complaint be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Brake Fluid
    Wipers
    Fuel Filer
    Pollen Filter
    Air Con Service
    Egr valve leaking
    Front Pads
    Rear pads
    Front Disks
    Rear Disks

MY personal feeling is that EGR Valve and Drop Links (I do not know what these are) could be things that do break at 150,000km and 10,000km after purchase.

Everything else is a consumable.

Premium car = premium servicing costs (expensive discs, pads, filters, etc., ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How old is the car?

Guys, ok so bit more information. I brought to main dealer as it already have full Audi service history and wanted to keep this up as I plan on selling car next year....might be sooner now.

This is what a lot of people say but it actually doesn't make any sense. You are looking at spending €3k on a service to gain how much on the value of the car come resale time?
    As it was timing belt I wanted to get done I wanted it done by Audi.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

what will the nature of your complaint be?

Exactly.

Op might as well be complaining about running out of petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

This is what a lot of people say but it actually doesn't make any sense. You are looking at spending €3k on a service to gain how much on the value of the car come resale time?

Why?

Just on the timing belt I had 2 independent quotes for belt and water pump in my a6 last year.
    Both were more expensive than Audi.
    Audi are reasonable for timing belt and water pump.
    489euro fixed price and 2 year warranty.

Other stuff tho forget about it :-P

Brake Fluid
    Wipers
    Fuel Filer
    Pollen Filter
    Air Con Service
    Egr valve leaking
    Front Pads
    Rear pads
    Front Disks
    Rear Disks

Are you getting a brake wear warning on the dash?
    Front pads have wear sensors.
    If you ain't getting a warning then there's plenty left in them, also there is usually a good bit left in them after they hit sensor.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Just on the timing belt I had 2 independent quotes for belt and water pump in my a6 last year.
    Both were more expensive than Audi.
    Audi are reasonable for timing belt and water pump.
    489euro fixed price and 2 year warranty.

Their timing belt prices aren't bad, but you can do better. Also Audi don't include replacing the alternator belt in the price and will often look for approx €100 extra for this which makes no sense.

It is also worth mentioning that you still get the same 2 year warranty on the parts even if they are fitted by an independent garage, so the warranty isn't an Audi USP by any means.

Their timing belt prices aren't bad, but you can do better. Also Audi don't include replacing the alternator belt in the price and will often look for approx €100 extra for this which makes no sense.

It is also worth mentioning that you still get the same 2 year warranty on the parts even if they are fitted by an independent garage, so the warranty isn't an Audi USP by any means.

How much better tho?
    If it's 50 -60 Euro then it's just less hassle In case anything does go wrong.
    For me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Will answer a few questions.

Why would I get an Audi service/timing belt? Well first point is the car is not a worthless piece of sh*t. If it was a 01 Clio I would have no problem dropping it into my "mate" down the road and let him bang away at it with his hammer. As the car is actually worth something I prefer to bring to the main dealers. It doesn't seem to be a problem in every other country in Europe where having a main dealer service history is very very common.

Its funny the comments on here about keeping a main dealer history because I am sure tomorrow the same people will be posting about not been able to buy a car in Ireland with service history. Why would you complain at someone who will actually keep a full service history so when they sell the car the buyer knows exactly what has been done?

Its the same old story of your mate/brother/neighbour is great mechanic and can fix everything but they can't stamp the book. If they actually where any good of a mechanic they would work in a proper garage with a proper job.

Why would I complain? The wear and tear on the items listed happened long before the car was purchased which means it was not serviced correctly on purchase. You buy a car from Audi and expect a level of service and it wasn't provided.

I would not complain if I was buying from the usual back of the house Irish garage. I bought from proper dealer with Audi badge on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What is it about Audi owners that insist on having service work done by Audi? Genuine question.

I know a few Audi owners, and they seem to be only recently on about getting everything done to keep what they feel is the value up. Five years ago, I'd never hear an Audi owner going to Audi for services or repairs.

Is the potential value held really worth the hassle of dealing with Audi for repairs(which I've only ever heard problems about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I. If they actually where any good of a mechanic they would work in a proper garage with a proper job.

:eek::eek:

Why would I complain? The wear and tear on the items listed happened long before the car was purchased which means it was not serviced correctly on purchase. You buy a car from Audi and expect a level of service and it wasn't provided.

how so?

you bought it with 150k on the clock. you hardly expected the suspension, brakes etc to all be in "as new" condition when you bought it?

they were in serviceable condition, which is all they have to be.

i'm not saying 150k is high mileage but this is why people take mileage into consideration when purchasing, to help them define at what level of wear and tear the vehicle and it's consumables may be at.

there's nothing on your list to suggest your dealer supplied you with an unfit for sale car or anything like that, certainly nothing that would warrant a complaint to Audi Ireland.

people confuse a service with an overhaul. They are quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Phoenix Run

XsApollo wrote: »
    Their timing belt prices aren't bad, but you can do better. Also Audi don't include replacing the alternator belt in the price and will often look for approx 100 extra for this which makes no sense.

How much better tho?
    If it's 50 -60 Euro then it's just less hassle In case anything does go wrong.
    For me anyway.

Possibly biased since I am a customer of George's but if it's even a bit better or no worse then I would go for a decent independent every time.

The "saving" in the fixed price may be all well and good but with not all of the recommended parts for that timing belt having changed within that price and with the "needed" work coming to 2,000 where it may not be necessary at all I think that says all you need to know about the experience of an Audi main dealer - but if you want to see more take a look at my thread dealing with my interaction the last time I looked to buy a car from them!

I love the marque (am on my second one!) but I'm proud to say that both of mine have always been kept in tip top condition without going near an Audi dealer and it's stories like the "suggested" work and incomplete fixes above that makes you realise the value of a good independent.

Why would I get an Audi service/timing belt? Well first point is the car is not a worthless piece of sh*t. If it was a 01 Clio I would have no problem dropping it into my "mate" down the road and let him bang away at it with his hammer. As the car is actually worth something I prefer to bring to the main dealers. It doesn't seem to be a problem in every other country in Europe where having a main dealer service history is very very common.

Its funny the comments on here about keeping a main dealer history because I am sure tomorrow the same people will be posting about not been able to buy a car in Ireland with service history. Why would you complain at someone who will actually keep a full service history so when they sell the car the buyer knows exactly what has been done?

Its the same old story of your mate/brother/neighbour is great mechanic and can fix everything but they can't stamp the book. If they actually where any good of a mechanic they would work in a proper garage with a proper job.

I would not complain if I was buying from the usual back of the house Irish garage. I bought from proper dealer with Audi badge on it.

What makes you think you have to go to a main dealer to maintain a service history?

There's a lot of middle ground between a main dealer and a lad working out of a shed for cash.

Possibly biased since I am a customer of George's but if it's even a bit better or no worse then I would go for a decent independent every time.

The "saving" in the fixed price may be all well and good but with not all of the recommended parts for that timing belt having changed within that price and with the "needed" work coming to 2,000 where it may not be necessary at all I think that says all you need to know about the experience of an Audi main dealer - but if you want to see more take a look at my thread dealing with my interaction the last time I looked to buy a car from them!

I love the marque (am on my second one!) but I'm proud to say that both of mine have always been kept in tip top condition without going near an Audi dealer and it's stories like the "suggested" work and incomplete fixes above that makes you realise the value of a good independent.

Look I agree, I wouldn't bring my car to a main dealer for anything in the ops post either.
    And I would love a George dalton around here:-P

There was cost mentioned so I just pointed out they are reasonable on their timing belt price.

I gave my A6 to them, told them timing belt only , no software or check up.
    That's what I got.
    489euro.
    Which is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I very recently left my 05 A4 avant in to Audi North for timing belt/water pump. While they were at it they did a safety check and came back with an advisory that stated the car needed new brake disks, pads, upper and lower link arms and bushes. I asked for a quote for the work and they came back with €3400!
    I went online and bought all the replacement QH parts for €320 and had it fitted for €100 at my local mechanics.
    It seems audi are trying to scare customers into getting work done with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Will answer a few questions.

Now you're going in circles?

You go to the Audi garage because you trust them to do the job correctly, but you are refusing to believe they have done the job correctly?

• Advertisement

"Why would I complain? The wear and tear on the items listed happened long before the car was purchased which means it was not serviced correctly on purchase. You buy a car from Audi and expect a level of service and it wasn't provided."

It was a year ago, it's done another 10000km, it needs another service... where's the mystery.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

A specialist independent is the way to go with servicing older cars like yours that are out of warranty. Dealership servicing IMO is mainly only to keep records in check when you have active warranty (and the manufacturers will request e.g., a main dealer service history when approving warranty work). Out of warranty, get a specialist independent IMHO. There are plenty of them around Dublin, and joining any owners clubs will get you recommendations.

There is also wear and tear in the 10,000km you drove. Did you use the wipers? Use the aircon? Did you ever brake? If you answer yes to these questions, you used the items. They eventually wear out, and you must pay to replace them, brand new car or 20 year old rustbucket.

What service were you expecting? You didn't buy a new car, so expecting premium service such as all-inclusive service costs cannot be expected unless you paid premium prices up front to get it. Premium brands always cost a bit yearly run, €1500-2500 is normal. Put on decent tyres and you get the additional €700-900 for four, every 20,000km.

You bought a used car with 150,000km from a main dealer. Nice cars for a low price compared to new is the plus point, but the downside is expensive servicing and parts which are no longer under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

The mistake you made here was going to Audi for the service in the first place.

Find a good independent garage, they will look after your car just as well for a fraction of the price.

Not at all biased, are we?

Brake Fluid
    Wipers
    Fuel Filer
    Pollen Filter
    Air Con Service
    Egr valve leaking
    Front Pads
    Rear pads
    Front Disks
    Rear Disks

Well to be fair to GD he speaks the truth "Find a good independent garage, they will look after your car just as well for a fraction of the price".

All you have to do is find a good ind garage.

Are you describing someone as biased because they know their trade & industry?

What the OP has described is a poor reflection on at least one Audi garage

either
    - a car was retailed with a lot of work around the corner with lipped discs etc

or
    - the current service estimate is grossly inflated on the basis that much of the work is unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Augeo wrote: »
    Well to be fair to GD he speaks the truth "Find a good independent garage, they will look after your car just as well for a fraction of the price".

All you have to do is find a good ind garage.

Are you describing someone as biased because they know their trade & industry?

What the OP has described is a poor reflection on at least one Audi garage

either

or
    - the current service estimate is grossly inflated on the basis that much of the work is unnecessary.

Sometimes main dealer servicing is not expensive as you think though. I don't follow the rule that they should always be avoided. You have to be flexible in what jobs you choose to get done with them and what to leave to an independent mechanic. Main dealers have access to software updates and a lot of technical bulletins that you sometimes can't get with independents.

Augeo wrote: »
    either

or

Isn't the whole used car industry just about moving cars on at the right time though while investing as little as possible?

You won't see any dealer doing more than is neccessary in all fairness. It would be naieve to think that a dealer will be replacing parts that might begin showing wear in year two of ownership. I know it's a shortsighted mentality, but for the most part 99% of dealers are out to make targets, not friends.

I think we can be reasonably confident that the car doesn't need discs and pads now and that it definitely didn't need them 10k ago.

Other than that the car just needs a full service (cabin filter, fuel filter, brake fluid) and a set of drop links after 160k kms.

I'm not saying I wouldn't speak to the selling dealer about the EGR, if the car is relatively new etc, they may cover it on goodwill if you play your cards right. I just think that someone considering sending a complaint to the franchise headquarters because the car needs a full service and pads that it didn't need last year is madness.

I guess this is where an independent inspection would have paid dividents to the OP. A qualified third party inspecting the car saying it will be due x and y in z amount of kms. Then the OP can use that information to bargain a better price on the car, to incorporate a better rate of repair as part of the sale or walk away and wait for a fresher example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are full of shit. Any decent garage knows full well that nothing on that list indicates that a service carried out a year ago wasn't done properly.

Frankly if thats the kind of bull they are peddling I wouldn't trust that their list is accurate in the first place.

I think we can be reasonably confident that the car doesn't need discs and pads now and that it definitely didn't need them 10k ago.

Other than that the car just needs a full service (cabin filter, fuel filter, brake fluid) and a set of drop links after 160k kms..........

I haven't seen the car which is why I said either / or :)
    Isn't the whole used car industry just about moving cars on at the right time though while investing as little as possible? .......

As you learned with a Fiat 500 iirc.

Am I biased, or do I just know what I am talking about?

I'll put it this way, do you actually believe that the OP's car needs €3k spent on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

What's a leaking EGR ?

I'd want to know a whole lot more about that specific problem before forking out a few hundred to have it resolved. Not suggesting it doesn't need doing but I would ask some questions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

people confuse a service with an overhaul. They are quite different.
    full inspection with everything that needs to be done is a service as is filters and oil
    original fluids are rife in 05 cars that are "fully serviced"

• Advertisement
Advertisement