Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs question

Options
  • 14-06-2016 9:51am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking some rough estimates on app dev costs.

Had a lightbulb moment over the weekend, so going to do some research this week, but wanted to try and get an idea of costs.

- Apps for iOS/Android
    - Need to have location based services
    - Need to support both once of billing and recurring billing (what is the best way to do this? Paypal?
    - Need to be able to rate users

Appreciate the above is pretty simple (and probably not a lot of info! )

But are there any other dev costs for build to consider?

What about on going maintenance/upgrades?

Will i need a server? Likely going to need a website too at some point.. but focusing on the apps at the minute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yes, you'll need a server developed along with a database.

If you plan on supplying the apps through the stores you'll need to follow their rules regarding billing, which pretty much means you'll need to use Apple/Googles billing services and give them their cut.

It sounds like you should focus on your back end services and database first, if its not there the apps wont be able to do much.

As for cost you haven't given anywhere near enough information for anyone to be able to give you an accurate estimate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes, you'll need a server developed along with a database.

If you plan on supplying the apps through the stores you'll need to follow their rules regarding billing, which pretty much means you'll need to use Apple/Googles billing services and give them their cut.

It sounds like you should focus on your back end services and database first, if its not there the apps wont be able to do much.

As for cost you haven't given anywhere near enough information for anyone to be able to give you an accurate estimate.

Cheers AP.

Regarding billing, the app itself would be free, but i'd be looking to implement a Hailo type payment, where you register a card/paypal.

Through my current 9-5, one of our vendors does this type of work so i'll have a detailed conversation with them once I've done my own research and am happy there's a real opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cheers AP.

Regarding billing, the app itself would be free, but i'd be looking to implement a Hailo type payment, where you register a card/paypal.

Through my current 9-5, one of our vendors does this type of work so i'll have a detailed conversation with them once I've done my own research and am happy there's a real opportunity.

Once the billing is for something outside app like a taxi ride I think it can be OK to use third party libraries like Stripe to accept card payments, if anything you sell can be consumed in the app it will be subject to Apple/Google rules.

Advertisement