Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice?

Options
  • 14-06-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I recently moved into a new job,
    in my last job I was a contractor working in IT,
    I worked through an english company,
    and I was on contract in an Irish office for another english company,

the company that hired me, gave 10 days holiday in the contract,
    I was there 8 months and had not used any, when I gave in my notice,
    I asked my manager in the company that hired me, if I could claim the holiday days as payment rather than to take time off in the notice period,

what I got back in email was: we will honour the holiday days.

and now, I've received an email from the head of the company,
    saying that I will not be getting payed the holiday days as I am now claiming for them out of contract,
    and that because I resigned, I should have taken then before I left.
    theyre invoice system is that you send in a time sheet each week, with hours worked, and I had to do this for the holiday days also, so it ended up being three weeks later that the invoice went in for the last of the holiday pay.

it does not state in the contract the holiday days have to be taken while there, and I do have the email from the manager stating they would honour them.

is there anything I can do here to be paid for the last weeks holiday?

Thank you for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I recently moved into a new job,
    in my last job I was a contractor working in IT,
    I worked through an english company,
    and I was on contract in an Irish office for another english company,

the company that hired me, gave 10 days holiday in the contract,
    I was there 8 months and had not used any, when I gave in my notice,
    I asked my manager in the company that hired me, if I could claim the holiday days as payment rather than to take time off in the notice period,

what I got back in email was: we will honour the holiday days.

and now, I've received an email from the head of the company,
    saying that I will not be getting payed the holiday days as I am now claiming for them out of contract,
    and that because I resigned, I should have taken then before I left.
    theyre invoice system is that you send in a time sheet each week, with hours worked, and I had to do this for the holiday days also, so it ended up being three weeks later that the invoice went in for the last of the holiday pay.

it does not state in the contract the holiday days have to be taken while there, and I do have the email from the manager stating they would honour them.

is there anything I can do here to be paid for the last weeks holiday?

Thank you for any help

When you say you sent in an invoice, were you a self employed contractor? If so, you are not an employee of the Irish company so you are not entitled to annual leave pay, on the other hand, if you were a PAYE employee, you are entitled to holiday pay.

If you were an employee of the English company, then you need to take it up with them as they were your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I was a self employed contractor.
    I had a contract with the company that hired me to have 10 days holiday and a daily rate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    I was a self employed contractor.
    I had a contract with the company that hired me to have 10 days holiday and a daily rate.

That's a very strange contract to have paid holidays in, does it say you will get ten days paid holidays per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This should be asked in Enterprise and Business Management. You weren't an employee, it's not a work and jobs issue.

It's irrelevant what the invoiced amount was for ("holidays", days worked, whatever). What matters is whether you submitted the invoice in line with the contracted provisions.

Advertisement