Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia handed suspended sentence.

• 14-06-2016 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Worth it's own thread I think (mods may disagree!)

UPDATED

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/14/russia-handed-suspended-euro-2016-disqualification-fined-150000-uefa
    Russia have been handed a suspended disqualification from Euro 2016 over crowd disturbances at the game against England in Marseille on Saturday, Uefa has announced.

Charges from the governing body relate to “crowd disturbances, use of fireworks and racist behaviour” and any further incidents will see Russia disqualified from the tournament.

Charges from the governing body to the Russian Football Union relate to “crowd disturbances, use of fireworks and racist behaviour” around the 1-1 draw with England at the Stade Vélodrome on Saturday.

Uefa’s control, ethics and disciplinary body met in Paris to consider the case and imposed the suspended disqualification and a €150,000 financial penalty.

However, any further incidents of crowd disturbance inside grounds at Russia’s matches during the European Championship will see the suspension lifted and the country thrown out of Euro 2016

If Russia were to be disqualified from the tournament, Group B could be thrown into turmoil due to Article 27 of Uefa’s regulations, which states: “If an association is disqualified during the competition, the results of all of its matches are declared null and void, and the points awarded forfeited.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely they're in trouble now as I can't see how there won't be trouble in the city of their next match.

If expelled how will that leave the World Cup in 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely they're in trouble now as I can't see how there won't be trouble in the city of their next match.

Only if it happens inside the ground.

"However, any further incidents of crowd disturbance inside grounds at Russia’s matches during the European Championship will see the suspension lifted and the country thrown out of Euro 2016."

Such suspension will be lifted if incidents of a similar nature (crowd disturbances) happen inside the stadium at any of the remaining matches of the Russian team during the tournament.”

The decision only relates to incidents which occurred inside the stadium and are therefore under the jurisdiction of the Uefa disciplinary bodies. The decision is open to appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What is the ****ing point of a suspended sentence (in real life as well as sport).Complete bull**** either do somnething or don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What will happen the games if they are thrown out? Giving walkovers would be a huge benefit to whoever finishes third in that group, and very harsh on the other 5 3rd place teams.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Slovakian fans know what they need to do to get their team through now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Only if it happens inside the ground.

"However, any further incidents of crowd disturbance inside grounds at Russia’s matches during the European Championship will see the suspension lifted and the country thrown out of Euro 2016."

Such suspension will be lifted if incidents of a similar nature (crowd disturbances) happen inside the stadium at any of the remaining matches of the Russian team during the tournament.”

The decision only relates to incidents which occurred inside the stadium and are therefore under the jurisdiction of the Uefa disciplinary bodies. The decision is open to appeal.

So they can go ahead and wreck a town and attack people outside and that's fine? Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Matter for FIFA surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

A "suspended disqualification"??
    So, in other words.... no punishment at all?

It is interesting that there could be carnage outside the stadium, but if not inside than UEFA don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To punish a sports team, no, a whole country, because of the bad behaviour of a few hooligans? Not only grossly unfair, but actually highlighting the incompetence of the French authorities to control a crowd. Punish the hooligans, not anybody else!

unkel wrote: »
    To punish a sports team, no, a whole country, because of the bad behaviour of a few hooligans? Not only grossly unfair, but actually highlighting the incompetence of the French authorities to control a crowd. Punish the hooligans, not anybody else!

Punish the country and they might finally do something about their hooligan problem, I had Russian (Zenit) fans throwing flares at me and trying to come down to fight back in 2013, and since then it seems it's only gotten worse,what's going to be like by 2018?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

I can't support the punishment of a nations team based on the antics of a few hundred fans.

It is grossly unfair, especially when much of the trouble in the stadium could have been prevented by effective policing and stewarding.

The French incompetence here is being overlooked.

By all means punish the Russian fans guilty of bad behaviour, lifetime bans and criminal prosecution but expelling the team is a cowards solution

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Punish the country and they might finally do something about their hooligan problem, I had Russian (Zenit) fans throwing flares at me and trying to come down to fight back in 2013, and since then it seems it's only gotten worse,what's going to be like by 2018?

The ultras are the problem and the thing about the ultras is they go to all the games so they are bound to cause more trouble at the games especially if they look like they wont progress so they will be punished accordingly. I think the suspended sentence is fair as genuine fans shouldnt be punished, at least if they are punished now they have had a warning before hand.

Punish the country and they might finally do something about their hooligan problem

What do you expect Russia to do about these hooligans in France? Send a few FSB agents over with a few drops of Polonium-210? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Russian FA are doing f*ck all to tackle this, and parts of the Russian Government are vocally supporting these hooligans. UEFA need to do something to motivate the Russian authorities to help sort out this problem.

The suspended sentence doesn't go far enough IMO.

What do you expect Russia to do about these hooligans in France? Send a few FSB agents over with a few drops of Polonium-210? :eek:

Stopping them from going over in the first place would have been nice, this is not a new problem and if the russian authorities cared about it they would have known what was being planned (I would still guess that they did) and could have acted accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Annex Lille so that any fighting will not be a contravention of French law.

simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The English seemed to be able to do it...

Nearly 3000 people with bans forced to stay in the country etc.

So they can go ahead and wreck a town and attack people outside and that's fine? Makes no sense.

Yep as UEFA have no control of what happens outside the grounds.

Sure look at the French Police they are deporting the Russians but yet arrested and jailed the English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So if Russian fans cause trouble in the stadium in the next game then Wales get three points for free in the last round?

The Welsh should send a few secret agents to the Russia vs Slovakia game then to start the trouble and guarantee automatic qualification for the second round! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yep as UEFA have no control of what happens outside the grounds.

Sure look at the French Police they are deporting the Russians but yet arrested and jailed the English

Have you seen who they are deporting women and elderly tourists not one hooligan or so called ultra ,
    wouldn't be at all surprised if they did manage to arrest one of more russian ultra they will suddenly declare diplomatic immunity

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    So if Russian fans cause trouble in the stadium in the next game then Wales get three points for free in the last round?

The Welsh should send a few secret agents to the Russia vs Slovakia game then to start the trouble and guarantee automatic qualification for the second round! :pac:

No, it will turn into a 3 team group and games played V Russia are void.

So if Russia had of been thrown out England would go back to 0 points with no games played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mygod, even a child can see where all this is leading. This is all about taking the 2018 WC from Russia, "incidents" at the Slovakia a 100% certainty. There will zero police presence.
    Its the English who should be booted out, (Heysel is conveniently forgotten by the gutter press!) at this stage its a question of what European city have they NOT smashed up!

I didn't know I could post in the soccer forum until today, I thought you had to register which I never got around to.

Mygod, even a child can see where all this is leading. This is all about taking the 2018 WC from Russia, "incidents" at the Slovakia a 100% certainty. There will zero police presence.
    Its the English who should be booted out, (Heysel is conveniently forgotten by the gutter press!) at this stage its a question of what European city have they NOT smashed up!

I didn't know I could post in the soccer forum until today, I thought you had to register which I never got around to.

UEFA can't do anything about what happens outside the ground which is why those countries have gotten away with so much previously only ever attacked outside the ground. Saturday night it was Russia who attack the English inside the ground that is only when UEFA can do anything.

It's about controlling Russian fans/hooligans at the ground, and not having them kick the sh*te out of the opposition's fans.

The World Cup is awarded by FIFA, not UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

perhaps not celebrate their "achievements"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/13/moscow-football-official-to-violent-fans-well-done-lads-keep-it-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Really ? How many English fans did you see with balaclavas and gas masks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

eagle eye wrote: »

If Russia get thrown out, then I imagine all their previous results are voided.

greendom wrote: »

Lebedev is a muppet of the highest order. Wouldn't surprise me if he was drunk when he posted that on twitter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its as much the Russian FAs fault as it is the French police.

The English have taken passports off their known hooligans and gone to help pick out trouble makers in France.

Russians, theyre condoning the fans defending the motherlands pride and glory.

The English are no saints and they previous for this as we all know but the Russians are now on a different level, the French local ultras are also seriously invovled but UEFAS have said nothing about them.

The Irish travel very very well but I'd be concerned for any fans going to WC in Russia, not that it will stop Russia from holding it.

• Advertisement

UEFA can't do anything about what happens outside the ground which is why those countries have gotten away with so much previously only ever attacked outside the ground. Saturday night it was Russia who attack the English inside the ground that is only when UEFA can do anything.
    English fans have rioted NUMEROUS times inside stadiums and with the exception of Heysel have got away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

English fans have rioted NUMEROUS times inside stadiums and with the exception of Heysel have got away with it.

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

so they should get a retroactive suspension for that now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Ok, its not inside the stadium, but this blame everyone but the Russians game you're playing is bull. They recorded themselves with gopros ffs. Organised and preplanned attacks. And not 1 or 2 bad apples either. Biggest bunch of scumbags at the Euros by a country mile.

(Not saying all russian fans are scumbags, but these lads most certainly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Love to see you back that statement up

Love to see you back that statement up
    There's been lots over the years going back to Tottenham fans rioting inside the stadium in 1974 during the UEFA cup final, Leeds fans rioting during the European Cup final in 1975, England fans during the Euro Championship in 1980, we know all about the Heysel (only fatalities it seems is enough to earn English clubs or national team a ban) Heres some nice viewing for you, go to 1.20.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfOSFaF2WE
    We know all about Lansdowne Road in 1995, but that was a friendly so we'll ignore the anti-Irish racist chants from the good natured fans who were in Dublin to enjoy the Guinness.
    A lot of these incidents were years ago but the reality is no England team or club has or will ever receive a warning as harsh as a suspended ban such as Russia received today.
    There were 12,000 Russian fans in Marseille for the match and a tiny minority were involved in the violence. If Ireland were drawn against England I've no doubts that a tiny minority of Irish fans would get into fights with English hooligans, also a minority of English fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There's been lots over the years going back to Tottenham fans rioting inside the stadium in 1974 during the UEFA cup final, Leeds fans rioting during the European Cup final in 1975, England fans during the Euro Championship in 1980, we know all about the Heysel (only fatalities it seems is enough to earn English clubs or national team a ban) Heres some nice viewing for you, go to 1.20.
    We know all about Lansdowne Road in 1995, but that was a friendly so we'll ignore the anti-Irish racist chants from the good natured fans who were in Dublin to enjoy the Guinness.
    A lot of these incidents were years ago but the reality is no England team or club has or will ever receive a warning as harsh as a suspended ban such as Russia received today.
    There were 12,000 Russian fans in Marseille for the match and a tiny minority were involved in the violence. If Ireland were drawn against England I've no doubts that a tiny minority of Irish fans would get into fights with English hooligans, also a minority of English fans.

Everyone knows that England fans decades ago were really bad but in fairness whats the most recent event of english fans rioting in a stadium?

And you do know back in 85 after Heysel the 1st call for English teams to be banned from Europe was not by UEFA but British Prime Minister at the time Maggie Thatcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Russia were handed the same sentence in the last tournament. The suspension ran out after the play offs.

Fast forward to Euro 2020:
    Russia handed suspended sentence for Rioting.

The most recent example you're giving is 21 years ago.

UEFA are issuing a suspended ban for events that took place 4 days ago.

Think you're anti-English feelings might be clouding your judgement just a bit there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...is no England team or club has or will ever receive a warning as harsh as a suspended ban such as Russia received today.

English clubs were all banned from European competition for 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

tigger123 wrote: »
    The Russian FA are doing f*ck all to tackle this, and parts of the Russian Government are vocally supporting these hooligans. UEFA need to do something to motivate the Russian authorities to help sort out this problem.

The suspended sentence doesn't go far enough IMO.

FIFA should take the World Cup off them

FIFA should take the World Cup off them

Yep, and give it to England. They have the infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

robinph wrote: »
    English clubs were all banned from European competition for 5 years.

Deservedly so. Heysel was absolutely disgusting. Fathers watching their sons being knocked out and trampled, begging to be left alone while being crushed against a wall as Liverpool fans screamed and threw bottles. One of the darkest days in football IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yep, and give it to England. They have the infrastructure.

Haven't USA repeatedly offered to host it should Russia or Qatar fall through.

Football is far more popular in the US now than it was in 94, and they have shedloads of huge stadiums.

Football is far more popular in the US now than it was in 94, and they have shedloads of huge stadiums.

Pretty sure they have offered.

I was in the States about 4 years ago and it's massive over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Lot of the stadiums they use for MLS aren't that big. Also some still shared with other sports. So negotiations would be needed for those stadia and the bigger stadia of other sports. Also some play on synthetic surfaces.

Saying all that I'm sure it could be done without too much bother, particularly if it got one over on Russia.

England could also do it, with little hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Pretty sure they have offered.

I was in the States about 4 years ago and it's massive over there.

Russia will then say it's a political decision to strip the world cup they paid blatter and Co handsomely for .
    Or blame Nato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

All English clubs were banned from European competition for what, 5yrs, all because of the actions of Liverpool, similar circumstances here

There's been lots over the years going back to Tottenham fans rioting inside the stadium in 1974 during the UEFA cup final, Leeds fans rioting during the European Cup final in 1975, England fans during the Euro Championship in 1980...

Man that Elmer hangs on to things for a long time!

Because of Heysel, English clubs were banned from Europan competition. It is completely appropriate that Russia is threatened with a very similar sanction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

You'd have to be a brave man to arrive in Russia looking for bovver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement