Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia handed suspended sentence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Let's see if UEFA have the bottle to throw them out.

My money is they won't.

In fact, they'd be more likely to throw England out!

Russians throwing chairs and English throwing pint glasses and bottles. They should be both chucked out in fact didn't UEFA already warn England about further fan behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Putinbots really are a drag.

godtabh wrote: »
    So are they out now? Lots of **** on twitter of russians attacking English fans tonight

Nope, what happens outside the stadium doesn't matter to UEFA it seems.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Nope, what happens outside the stadium doesn't matter to UEFA it seems.

Well France isn't within their jurisdiction, that's the job of the state. Be interesting to see what would happen if they kicked the squad out, Putin would probably sue France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Well France isn't within their jurisdiction, that's the job of the state. Be interesting to see what would happen if they kicked the squad out, Putin would probably sue France.

Ban all French people from Russia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Disappointed to see the Beeb featuring the go pro video from one of the Russian thugs and also interviewing another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

That go pro is ridiculous. They are literally on a rampage. Swatting the English like flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

WarZ wrote: »
    Swatting the English like flies.

If it's the one I saw, it's the wrong video to release to make them look hard. It looks like a gang of them are picking off and bashing drunk stragglers and then when they meet a decent number of English on the stairs, they back off and stand there pavement dancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

If it's the one I saw, it's the wrong video to release to make them look hard. It looks like a gang of them are picking off and bashing drunk stragglers and then when they meet a decent number of English on the stairs, they back off and stand there pavement dancing.
    If its the one I saw I just cannot believe that the BBC bothered to show it.
    Theres about 10 of them at the top of the stairs outnumbered by hundreds of peace loving English who are in France to enjoy the culture and have a good ol' knees up - those English are such cheeky chappies (Pathe news accent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Myself and my friend are going to the Russia game tomorrow - hope nothing nasty happens. Crazy having all 4 teams from that group in the same city this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

When the English fans bash in a few Welsh skulls in a couple of days its gonna be fun listening to the BBC blaming Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHMBmu4Mm0

Footage of English fans mocking and insulting gypsy children in Lille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Superhorse wrote: »

obsession
    əbˈsɛʃ(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    the state of being obsessed with someone or something.
    "she cared for him with a devotion bordering on obsession"
    an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.
    plural noun: obsessions
    "he was in the grip of an obsession he was powerless to resist"
    synonyms: fixation, ruling/consuming passion, passion, mania, idée fixe, compulsion, preoccupation, enthusiasm, infatuation, addiction, fetish, craze, hobby horse; More

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah it's pretty sad some of the salivating some of you are doing over any suggestion of problems involving the England fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

obsession
    əbˈsɛʃ(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    the state of being obsessed with someone or something.
    "she cared for him with a devotion bordering on obsession"
    an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.
    plural noun: obsessions
    "he was in the grip of an obsession he was powerless to resist"
    synonyms: fixation, ruling/consuming passion, passion, mania, idée fixe, compulsion, preoccupation, enthusiasm, infatuation, addiction, fetish, craze, hobby horse; More
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty sad some of the salivating some of you are doing over any suggestion of problems involving the England fans.

To be fair, whilst I agree that he is going to quite a length to tar the English fans with the same brush as the Russians (who are most certainly the instigators in the main violence seen), what those English fans are doing to the children is very demeaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Oh there's plenty of English fans their who have utterly disgraced themselves. As an Englishman I'm embarrassed by a lot of what I've seen. But I'm also completely aware from speaking to people out there that there's plenty of locals and Russians going out of their way to attack innocent people who are just wanting to watch the games and enjoy their holiday.

I'm in Nice next week and it isn't the England fans I'm primarily concerned about bumping into.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    To be fair, whilst I agree that he is going to quite a length to tar the English fans with the same brush as the Russians (who are most certainly the instigators in the main violence seen), what those English fans are doing to the children is very demeaning.

Nowhere near as demeaning as singing the Lord's prayer to an elderly nun on a train, but that apparently is just witty banter from the self proclaimed best fans in the world.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't know whats sad about it?
    It's just that not ALL of us believe the BBC and tabloid s***e that the mischievous English were having a jolly old sing song until those Russian barbarians arrived to provoke them.
    By the way if anyone has any evidence of Russian football hooliganism abroad please let me know. I'm genuinely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

And if it had of been us Irish fans you would have been laughing and saying sure look at how much money the kids have come away with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It's just that not ALL of us believe the BBC and tabloid s***e that the mischievous English were having a jolly old sing song until those Russian barbarians arrived to provoke them.
    By the way if anyone has any evidence of Russian football hooliganism abroad please let me know. I'm genuinely interested.

just search Russian Ultras on twitter they have there own account

what those English fans are doing to the children is very demeaning.

There's a narrative that has to adhered to, so anything bad/good about some nations has to be selectively foregrounded/back-grounded depending on what the people in a country want to hear.

I was amused at the videos of Irish lads completely blocking roads, booting balls close to the windows of buildings and cars and chanting en masse in general, or at somebody looking out their window (none of which I've an issue with btw) and how it's slavishly filtered back here as The Craic when a) the owners/residents of the buildings and cars could well be teetotal continental Europeans aghast at such behavior and b) such behavior is actually what the overwhelming majority of supporters from countries such as England are doing also

What?

Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What?

Are you serious?

Elmer's here to do the Lord's work.

When Russia are knocked out he'll never darken this forum again.

Best not entertain him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I was amused at the videos of Irish lads completely blocking roads, booting balls close to the windows of buildings and cars and chanting en masse in general, or at somebody looking out their window (none of which I've an issue with btw) and how it's slavishly filtered back here as The Craic when a) the owners/residents of the buildings and cars could well be teetotal continental Europeans aghast at such behavior and b) such behavior is actually what the overwhelming majority of supporters from countries such as England are doing also

Ken Early alluded to that on the Second Captains podcast yesterday.

He was expressing bemusement at the Irish fans congregation point in Paris.
    - broken glass everywhere
    - fans standing on the roof of vehicles
    - fans chanting "Yaya..Yaya Toure" at any black locals trying to walk by

He expressed bemusement at the difference between the Irish & 'unnamed others'.... ie: not a huge amount of difference other than everyone was having a great time & there was no cops wading in.

just search Russian Ultras on twitter they have there own account
    I only asked if there is any evidence of Russian football hooliganism abroad.
    Well?
    Are you serious?
    Eh ..... yes.

• Advertisement

English thugs who stole Russian flags. Hopefully the police can track them down

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck5dqGRVAAEXUuJ.jpg

England and Russia fans at it again. Come on UEFA grow a set and throw both these nations out.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/101ggvideos/england-russian-fans-get-involved-late-night-brawl-lille-police-use-pepper-spray-video/

Well?

Eh ..... yes.

You missed the game on Saturday then, when Russia fans launched a firework in to the England section and proceed to jump barriers and attack any one in their way?

Maybe you should check out CSKA fans in Roma,

When Andrew Bache comes out of his coma, you could ask him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Well?

Weird question, almost as if you're trying to deny things that everyone can see ?

Just think back to Euro 2012 and the mass brawls between Polish and Russian hooligans before their game.

The evidence is overwhelming against both Russia and England. If you check out facebook twitter etc.. you'll see it for yourself.

If you are looking for evidence of thuggery from both sides check out Al Jazzera or Euronews France as you won't get a balanced view of goings on from Sky, BBC, RT, ITV etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Beginning to look like a bit of an agenda starting to form.

Nowhere near as demeaning as singing the Lord's prayer to an elderly nun on a train, but that apparently is just witty banter from the self proclaimed best fans in the world.

You're right, that is demeaning also and I don't condone that kind of behaviour either. Nor did I ever give any indication that I did.

Russian car full of hardware stopped.

Guardian pointing out how Ángel María Villar Llona who is the acting head of UEFA is also the head of FIFA's offices in Russia for the WC 2018 preparations.

There's a narrative that has to adhered to, so anything bad/good about some nations has to be selectively foregrounded/back-grounded depending on what the people in a country want to hear.

To be fair, this thread has mainly focused on English and Russia supporters which was what my original point alluded to.

I never said that I agreed with the behaviour of the Irish fans having the "craic" (aka getting shítfaced).

chupacabra wrote: »
    :confused:
    Poland's sports minister, Joanna Mucha, has revealed her "shame" at local hooligans who attempted to disrupt the European Championship by attacking rival Russia supporters before Tuesday night's kick-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The English seemed to be able to do it...

Nearly 3000 people with bans forced to stay in the country etc.

Nothing stopping those who didn't travel head across the tunnel to lend support to their colleagues in the coming days though......?

I never said that I agreed with the behaviour of the Irish fans having the "craic" (aka getting shítfaced).

I don't really mind that kind of stuff, to be fair. I'm just pointing out that it's what the majority of other countries do, including England, and the difference in how it's perceived.

One notable thing that should be pointed out as well is it's safe to assume that overwhelming majority of Irish people don't go to club away games in Europe so the sight of lads draping national flags, singing in squares, drinking and so on isn't something they've experienced regularly but the general (non-violent) behavior between Irish and the majority of English is the same.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Nothing stopping those who didn't travel head across the tunnel to lend support to their colleagues in the coming days though......?

The banned supporters have to hand in their passports when England play in a major tournament AFAIK. I know somebody that had to do this.

:confused:

So you're saying that the Russians were attacked so the fault lies with the Polish ?

Funny how that narrative changes when it's English who are attacked.

• Advertisement

And plenty will. I can unfortunately see a lot of have a go hero's headed over today and tomorrow which isn't very bright. A lot of the English thugs seem like overweight beer belly types or pale white stick leg and arms skangers. How they'll cope with the Russians who seem to be hard core head bangers with plenty of fighting experience doesn't take a genius to figure out.

WHEN if kicks off UEFA will have to shoulder a lot of the blame for not acting sooner and removing both sides from the tournament.

The evidence is overwhelming against both Russia and England. If you check out facebook twitter etc.. you'll see it for yourself.

If you are looking for evidence of thuggery from both sides check out Al Jazzera or Euronews France as you won't get a balanced view of goings on from Sky, BBC, RT, ITV etc..
    Yes, there are thugs on both sides but I'm finding it hard to get my head around the way many on this forum are apologists for English hooligans who have been a blight on the game for many years.
    This is a balanced article (very rare these days!) in my opinion, well worth a read.

This is an interesting point- why are the English fans in Lille when they are not playing there? I know Lens and Lille are very close but it still a valid point.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/euro-2016-russian-insider-reveals-football-hooligans-are-more-than-ultras-who-train-for-fights-with-a7082531.html
    Friday,English fans had already been fighting by then and blaming the French supporters.
    “So why is it just the fault of the Russians? They are now saying that there may be fighting in Lille. Russia is playing in Lille, not England. We are going there, so if the English turn up there, who is responsible for the provocation? People should be careful about provocation, some people get angry when they are provoked,” he warns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Korat wrote: »
    There's no way a World Cup should be held it Russia. Even ignoring their invasion and annexation of part of Ukraine, ongoing intimidation and provocation of neighbouring states, state sponsored terrorism, corruption, poltical assasinations, homophobic and racist laws, even ignoring the detestable nature of the current poltical regime in Russia they're CHEATS in sport. They have been systematicly doping for years and what went on the Socchi winter games should be the final proof that they can't be allowed host any major sporting event.

FIFA is a broken organisation and the issue of Russia hosting a corrupt World Cup is a perfect opportunity for the football associations of law abiding civilised countries to break away and form a new clean governing body for World football.
    Yeah..only western countries should be allowed to do the aforementioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The banned supporters have to hand in their passports when England play in a major tournament AFAIK. I know somebody that had to do this.
    Correct, but they don't need them to get to France. I'm sure that those that relinquished their passports in favour of staying at home and then witnessed their own getting a whuppin will have been a bit aggrieved and will now contemplate joining their comrades to level the playing field somewhat over the coming days.

Yes, there are thugs on both sides but I'm finding it hard to get my head around the way many on this forum are apologists for English hooligans who have been a blight on the game for many years.
    This is a balanced article (very rare these days!) in my opinion, well worth a read.

This is an interesting point- why are the English fans in Lille when they are not playing there? I know Lens and Lille are very close but it still a valid point.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/euro-2016-russian-insider-reveals-football-hooligans-are-more-than-ultras-who-train-for-fights-with-a7082531.html

Because they were advised to go to Lille, since Lens is tiny.

The only ones told to avoid those cities are ticketless fans.
    Thousands of England and Wales fans also began to arrive before their match in Lens, having been officially advised to stay away from the small industrial city if they did not have a match ticket and instead watch the game at the large fan zone in Lille.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/14/england-russia-fans-lille-euro-2016

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Because they were advised to go to Lille.
    Whoever advised them to go to Lille should be arrested!
    I don't care how small Lens is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems elmer believes hooligans is purely an English problem,
    Unfortunately for us soccer fans hooligans are part of every country where soccer is played from out own league of Ireland games to Europe,russia ,Baltics and south Americas ,

Correct, but they don't need them to get to France.

Are you sure?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Think people on football banning orders may also have sign on at police stations too but not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Russian car full of hardware stopped.

It's probably a British made car they were driving, so, ya know, it's not all Russia's fault.

Advertisement