Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade Price Cars, Donabate

• 14-06-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anyone bought a car here, any experiences good or bad with them?
    Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Never heard of them but I'd imagine the hint is in the name - trade price, which normally equates to no warranty. So why bother buying from a dealer if your not getting some sort of warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DangerByrne

They offer warranties alright, not huge mind you, but they're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If their unique selling points are:

- Trade Prices
    - Sold As Seen
    - 3 Month Engine & Gearbox Warranty

You'd be better off burning your cash in a large pile instead.

Yep, aware of all that and not inclined to burn money... anyone bought a car there though...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ironclaw wrote: »
    If their unique selling points are:

- Trade Prices
    - Sold As Seen
    - 3 Month Engine & Gearbox Warranty

You'd be better off burning your cash in a large pile instead.

They can say what they like but since they are a business you have consumer protection so for major issues you are covered. As with any purchase make sure to get it checked out by a mechanic and do history check.

Two history checks completed. Both check out.
    3 year old car, low mileage, brought on from the UK with full log and history provided.
    Don't have any qualms with the car, just a little curious about the dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Del2005 wrote: »
    They can say what they like but since they are a business you have consumer protection so for major issues you are covered. As with any purchase make sure to get it checked out by a mechanic and do history check.

Quite true, but the effort, time and cost of pursuing it, you'd be better off giving the business to an honest firm or spending the money on a decent mechanic in the private market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Two history checks completed. Both check out.
    3 year old car, low mileage, brought on from the UK with full log and history provided.
    Don't have any qualms with the car, just a little curious about the dealer.

Is the history just a stamped up to date service book or are there receipts as well. Their stock actually looks quite nice but as far as I can see every one of them has a 'full history'. That's why I'd be suspicious. Did you run a check to see if it was damaged in the UK.

@bazz26

Do you know what this means from a buyer's point of view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

@bazz26

Do you know what this means from a buyer's point of view?

Strike-off means: (a) the circumstances relating to the company are such as to give the Registrar reasonable cause to believe that it has never carried on business or has ceased to carry on business;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Interesting to see both owners, presumably husband & wife going on age, one registered living in Santry & the other living in Donegal. They previously owned another garage that closed up.
    In relation to the car, if the warranty is with an outside company such as Mapfre then the garage will have no dealings with any issues, they will direct you to the warranty supplier so that's a good side. Have the car throughly checked by someone experienced and walk away if you feel that the seller is being in any way dishonest or trying to hide something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The older dissolved company was only dissolved in April this year.

I'm sure that everything is above board, but I got a little bit spooked, so I'll leave well enough alone.

In a similar vein, any thoughts on AS Cars, Ballymount?

AS cars?

Ah really?

You need to up your budget or go back a year or something :) you're looking at the rough end of the market.

Budget is quite good, in fairness.
    Looking for good value on a Focus around 2012, 131/132, diesel, with low mileage.
    The aim being with a car so relatively new, there's less likelihood of engine issues.
    A lot of the main dealers have cars that fit the bill, but with +€2-3K on the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Budget is quite good, in fairness.
    Looking for good value on a Focus around 2012, 131/132, diesel, with low mileage.
    The aim being with a car so relatively new, there's less likelihood of engine issues.
    A lot of the main dealers have cars that fit the bill, but with +€2-3K on the price.

Are the cars you are looking at imported at that lower price? There is a good thread on here that shows just how many miles some of these cars have wiped off when they are imported.

Make sure you ring any garage that has a stamp in the service book and ask them to confirm the mileage and work done, or if they have indeed worked on the car in the past. I've found too many cars now with fully stamped up fictitious service historys.

BTW the garages you mention both fall into the Bermuda Triangle of Dublin garages. I'd personally rather go for a newer car from a main dealer at the age range you are looking to spend rather than buy from the likes of ASS Cars.

That's the crux of it though, the cheap ones are usually being sold by the type of people you wouldn't share a bus with.

The best way to save money is by buying privately, and getting the car inspected beforehand. You can buy an off the shelf warranty if you like that sort of thing.

A Kia Ceed 2013 would still have 4 years warranty left. Just putting it out there.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's the crux of it though, the cheap ones are usually being sold by the type of people you wouldn't share a bus with.

Depends on your bus route :P

The 131 Focus in Trade Price Cars was an import. Not sure about the red 131 Focus in AS Motors, priced at €14K, 32K miles, 1.6 TDCi.

• Advertisement

The 131 Focus in Trade Price Cars was an import. Not sure about the red 131 Focus in AS Motors, priced at €14K, 32K miles, 1.6 TDCi.

Lots of those cars are getting imported and being clocked especially around the 3 years old mark where UK fleets dispose of them. Not all of course but I'd very much be on gaurd in a place with prices that are well below normal.

Check some of the gems in here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057335812&page=87

Are you looking for a particular trim level?

Ideally not the bog standard or basic level, I'd prefer a higher spec but it's not a deal breaker.

Cheap examples don't necessarily represent the best value.

Charles hurst in Dublin has a 13 Zetec with 42k miles for €14500.
    It will be an NI import, but to be fair, they're a huge dealership in Belfast and I'd trust them over any of the dealers selling 13s for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Red Focus in AS Cars looks Kosher to me but I'll double check tomorrow.

Definitely one I supplied and mileage looks right. Charity organisation rather than a rep on the road.

Is edge spec a bit basic on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is edge spec a bit basic on them?

Not really - since about 2011 Ford have had offer packs on the LX/Edge/Style/Whatever the "entry level" Focus was (there is a basic, basic Focus on the price list, but no one ever buys those) so there's not really much difference between the Edge and the Zetec.

Looks like the Edge pack was FOC at the time, and from memory that was the Alloys and Front Fogs. A/C was standard and that one has Sync Bluetooth added. Should also have a full size spare wheel as A/C, B/T and full size spare are mandatory for that customer.

Serviced at 20k & 40k (on schedule). Mileage on the add has been slightly rounded - shade under 54,000km when it left here.

One of a batch of 10 Red Foci that went out at the same time, and 599 came back in really good condition, at the same time I had another customer looking for something short term that had A/C and B/T, so went back out in November until March.

• Advertisement

In the end, went with Canavan Ford, East Wall.
    131 Focus, with a Ford warranty until 2018 - a little more than I wanted to pay, but there's a lot more peace of mind. The only disappointment is the boot is a lot smaller than the earlier model...

Advertisement