Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Waste

Options
  • 14-06-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi, I've just moved to Dundalk and looking to set up a household waste collection, can anyone give me an idea of what providers there are available and prices/plans? I know it's changing to pay by weight soon, maybe some of you have gotten an indication from the local providers how this will work and be priced also? Cheers for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Hi, I've just moved to Dundalk and looking to set up a household waste collection, can anyone give me an idea of what providers there are available and prices/plans? I know it's changing to pay by weight soon, maybe some of you have gotten an indication from the local providers how this will work and be priced also? Cheers for any info!

I'm with Ecological as they were the cheapest and you get a discount if you pay for the full year up front. I haven't heard anything from them about pay by weight yet. I think ACE bins do a pay by lift service and Oxigen also service the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Sadly Oxigen are abolishing their pay by lift service from Friday week, and as a pay by lift customer who wasn't even told this, I couldn't recommend them. Currently looking for a new provider myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm with Ecological myself, I found them the most competitive when I was searching round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Sadly Oxigen are abolishing their pay by lift service from Friday week, and as a pay by lift customer who wasn't even told this, I couldn't recommend them. Currently looking for a new provider myself.

Really??? I'm with them too on pay by lift and haven't heard anything, where did you get your info? Time to start looking at all providers and what's out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Probably related to the pay by weight due to start in July. Don't know how prepared the collectors are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

BlueLass wrote: »
    Really??? I'm with them too on pay by lift and haven't heard anything, where did you get your info? Time to start looking at all providers and what's out there.
    I got an email from Oxigen last November with 7 PDFs for different things. I filed it away and put it on the back burner. I just emailed them to get an idea of rates. Not sure if I'll change yet.

Edit. - Just seen this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057608766

Well everyone in work was talking about this pay by Weight service so I rang up as I hadnt heard from Oxigen... it took about 10 mins of asking for the guy (Stephen- the only Stephen in the call centre he assures me :pac:) that they will be aboloshing the pay by lift service, and with 15 days to go to the new charges, they still havent shared them. This puts me in a very crappy situation as I already recycle the hell out of my waste and go to the recycling centre every couple of weeks. Bin usually only goes out every 3-4 months, so it was a perfect service for me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well everyone in work was talking about this pay by Weight service so I rang up as I hadnt heard from Oxigen... it took about 10 mins of asking for the guy (Stephen- the only Stephen in the call centre he assures me :pac:) that they will be aboloshing the pay by lift service, and with 15 days to go to the new charges, they still havent shared them. This puts me in a very crappy situation as I already recycle the hell out of my waste and go to the recycling centre every couple of weeks. Bin usually only goes out every 3-4 months, so it was a perfect service for me

You're no good to them. It's money they want from you.
    Bin companies are more interested in making money than they are in you saving it.

You're no good to them. It's money they want from you.
    Bin companies are more interested in making money than they are in you saving it.

Sadly that is true! It's a shame though, cos this pay by weight thing is meant to push people towards recycling, but the people who are already doing it are going to be the most affected by cost increases!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sadly that is true! It's a shame though, cos this pay by weight thing is meant to push people towards recycling, but the people who are already doing it are going to be the most affected by cost increases!

Plus the fact that if everyone re-cycled, as they should, the bin companies would increase the charges for lifting the other bins because they have to make a profit.

• Advertisement

Heard back from Oxigen.
    Our new Pay by Weight price letter is being emailed to customers over the next few days. There will be a monthly service charge and a price per kilo thereafter. All information will be sent to you shortly.
    They are dragging their heels a bit, pity they are not as slow taking payment. I'd be like mejulie805 above and pretty fastidious about recycling. Since 21st March they have taken 0kg from me in general waste, :eek: so they'll love me for PBW. I currently pay €28 per month standing charge so is it possible I'll save money? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Cheers for the replies, I'll look into Ecological.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

I'm with ecological also but haven't heard anything about there pay by weight policy yet?

No change on their website either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,665 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

AES sent an email around advising of the fact changes were on the way but when you clicked on the link the page was unavailable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

Anyone got any word from Ace or Ecological yet?? Seems only Oxigen have released prices. Does anyone know if the bin companies are adhering to the proposed price freeze as it looks like I'm going to paying at least 200% more on pay by weight so I can't figure out how a price freeze would benefit me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm with ACE, rang them last week. Lady said my direct debit will remain the same. Although ACE do now have an online section were I can see the monthly weight of my 2 bins this year so far..... And if they do bring in a pricing structure similar to other bin companies I will definitely be paying, on average, double or more per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anyone got any word from Ace or Ecological yet?? Seems only Oxigen have released prices. Does anyone know if the bin companies are adhering to the proposed price freeze as it looks like I'm going to paying at least 200% more on pay by weight so I can't figure out how a price freeze would benefit me!!

Everything is in limbo now. ACE are continuing with the pay by lift and no monthly charge but tags are gone and replaced by topping up your account card.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

I got a letter from Ace this morning.
    1.85/weekly service charge.
    general waste 28c/kg
    recycling bin 14c/kg
    Brown bin 20c/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

are these the correct rates for oxigen?

Product code: 1.1
    Oxigen NE - Dundalk/Carrick

Brown Bin available: No Whats this nonsense?

Service charge €134.00

Black lift Free
    Green lift Free

Black kg rate €0.33
    Green kg rate €0.00

Minimum Balance:
    €15.00

• Advertisement

I got a letter from Ace this morning.
    1.85/weekly service charge.
    general waste 28c/kg
    recycling bin 14c/kg
    Brown bin 20c/kg.

I'm totally confused now as that flies in the face of what they told me over the phone.

I'm totally confused now as that flies in the face of what they told me over the phone.

That's all I know. As far as I can see my bin price is going to double

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Not sure about this but I think they may have an "opt in" policy whereby you can choose pay by weight immediately. Honestly,cant see anyone opting in at those prices!

neacy69 wrote: »
    are these the correct rates for oxigen? <snip>

Did you get an email/letter? I haven't heard from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Did you get an email/letter? I haven't heard from them yet.

on the website:

https://www.oxigen.ie/domestic-services/switch-to-oxigen-now-pbw.html

Its actually just updated (its a terrible website!)

Product code: 1.1
    Oxigen NE - Dundalk/Carrick

Brown Bin available: Yes

Service charge €134.00

Black lift Free
    Green lift Free
    Brown lift Free

Black kg rate €0.33
    Green kg rate €0.00
    Brown kg rate €0.19

Minimum Balance:
    €15.00

Thanks, I hadn't checked the website in a few day was waiting on the "email" I was told was being sent out.

Ended up talking to a supervisor about the pay by lift in Oxigen. She said that the government specified yearly charges stay the same, never said anything about PBL. They haven't contacted the PBL customers for this reason so still waiting to find out.

Letter from Ace this morning.

Pay by lift customers remains at 20 per waste bin and 6 per recycle bin,

Monthly tag customers 30 per month for 2x 240l waste and 2x 240l recycle.?

No monthly service charge.

Happy days!

Letter from Ace this morning.

Pay by lift customers remains at 20 per waste bin and 6 per recycle bin,

Monthly tag customers 30 per month for 2x 240l waste and 2x 240l recycle.?

No monthly service charge.

Happy days!

Where abouts do you live.

• Advertisement

Where abouts do you live.

Rural Louth

Advertisement