Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Childcare courses and Social Welfare

Options
  • 14-06-2016 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

I was recently made redundant and have decided that I would like to now change careers.

I would like to start a career in childcare and wonder how I would go about this. From what I can gather, I need to do at least a level 5 Fetac course?

I looked into some back to education grants etc but if Im right I do not qualify for them as I already have a level 8 degree, does anyone know if this is true or anyone been in the same position before? If I could pay for the courses then myself, would i need to stop drawing the dole once the college course stared ?

Also I was looking into the montessori course with Chevron and wondered if anyone has completed this course? Is it any good? Any info on this would be great, such as do I need to have a level 5 done before hand in order to do it?

Any info on all of this would be appreciated as kind of confused at the moment

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Check if you are eligible to do it on VTOS, I don't think the upward progression rules apply there.

Check with the VTOS co ordinator in your closest ETB Adult education centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Earlyyearsdel

You may be eligible for DSP funding, you can check locally in your DSP. Funding can be applied for through a TESG form.
    I would advise a level 5 first as jumping in at a level 6 you are missing the theory covered at level 5. Think year one and two of a degree course, would you skip year one??

Advertisement