Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32-bit CPU virtualisation on Hyper-V - possible?

Options
  • 14-06-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Posting here as there may be someone who can answer better than the windows-specific forum.

I have a need to install a 32-bit OS into a VM on Hyper-V for testing purposes. Easy-peasy. But for a proper test, the underlying virtual hardware needs to be 32-bit as well.

Installing Windows 8.1, and it recognises that the CPU on the VM is 64-bit, even if the OS is 32-bit.

The guy who wants the VM for testing insists that the CPU needs to be 32-bit. Am I overthinking this? Can't find any info online about having a 32-bit virtual processor in Hyper-V.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Advanced options in Hyper-V should allow you to select x86 architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you tried the "Run as an older operating system such as windows NT" in the processor compatibility section? That may mask the processor model to the guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Quick Google mentions it was never added due to windows server etc moving away from x86. A question to understand why 32 bit on virtual? I can understand 32 bit OS but why the need for 32 bit hyper-V, can't understand why anyone would invest in 32 bit hyper-v setup with the limitation on ram with x86

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks for the input guys, I can't see any of those options though.

Yeah, MS never developed Hyper-V for x86; why would they?

Though I expected that you might still be able to have a virtual 32-bit processor. What's the point though I suppose; a 32-bit OS will run just fine on a 64-bit processor. Why bother specifically providing for the creation of a virtual 32-bit processor that would make no difference anyway.

They might just have to image a physical device if they want a true 32-bit environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Do you have to use Hyper-V?

VirtualBox seems to allow you to set-up 32-bit OSes:
    388846.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

VirtualBox was the other option, but I have a Hyper-V farm there and the PXE server connected to it by fibre, so using Hyper-V was the preferred option.

I've set up the Hyper-V one anyway, 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware. If they don't like it, I might tell them to go off and set up their own VirtualBox locally. :)

Thanks for the input

Advertisement