Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche advice

Options
  • 14-06-2016 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My son is just over 2 years old and he's had his phases from shred to toy story to cars and now it's super hereos. He's been running around saying "I'm batman, I'm batman" from one end of the hall the living room and back in his attempt at a deep tone batman voice. To me, this seems great because he's not being violent and his imagination is going wild. He has no brothers or sisters and rarely spends time with other kids outside of creche Eg cousins etc.
    My issue is that his creche are not allowing him to do the batman thing because "it's scaring other kids" and they don't allow super hereos.
    Can anyone tell me if this is the normal thing in crèches now or is his creche just going P.C mad?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Dont allow superheroes? That sounds daft. Is he trying to jump of tables or anything or is it the fact that he's running around shouting that's really the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

Nah he just runs back and forth and even at that, he's not shouting. He's just running saying "I'm batman". I'm looking else where now for him as I spoke to another creche yesterday n they where shocked saying that he's being stopped from using his imagination and holding him back. I don't know what they want him to do, and it'd be a shame to change him at this stage where he likes 1 or 2 of the workers in particular and a few of the other kids he's attached to but over the last few weeks, he's not wanting to go and it's all since he's been told super heroes aren't allowed. I don't know if there's other things happening but he's my son and I want him to enjoy all these things like super hereos and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Has the creche manager told you that or is it coming from his minder at the end of the day? I'd ask the manager for a chat and establish where the banning of superheroes is coming from. Is this all characters? Minions? Peppa? Elsa/ Frozen stuff for the girls too? is it also restricted from their clothing/ bags and the like? What's their policy on this?

Or is it that your kid doing his batman thing is wrecking the head of his minder so that person has banned him from doing that. If so, banning all superhero stuff is extreme when all that needs to be done is reinforce to your son that he can do that in the playground for example, but not in the classroom.

I'm just thinking that if they are doing a blanket ban they are opening up a can of worms because every coat hook I see is festooned with minions /Spiderman/ Frozen stuff. Are they going to send kids home if they turn up in batman socks? Ridiculous carry on. I'd go to the manager and have a chat to find out what's the story.

Advertisement