Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay by weight bin - please share your charges for comparison

Options
  • 14-06-2016 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Anyone else received the updated charges from wiser, country clean etc.

Finally got our letter from greenstar with pay by weight charges,

Monthly Service Charge 19.50
    Refuse Bin per Kg 0.18
    Recycle Bin per Kg 0.00
    Compost Bin per Kg 0.14
    Glass Bin per Kg 0.00

Service charge is ridiculous, we're currently paying 26.50 all in.

Under the new charges we'll be paying about 40 in spring summer due to all the garden / hedge cuttings and 30- 35 in winter and our waste is well below the national average for a 5 person household.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

Anyone else received the updated charges from wiser, country clean etc.

Finally got our letter from greenstar with pay by weight charges,

Monthly Service Charge 19.50
    Refuse Bin per Kg 0.18
    Refuse Bin per Kg 0.00
    Refuse Bin per Kg 0.14
    Glass Bin per Kg 0.00

Service charge is ridiculous, we're currently paying 26.50 all in.

Under the new charges we'll be paying about 40 in spring summer due to all the garden / hedge cuttings and 30- 35 in winter and our waste is well below the national average for a 5 person household.

Just wanted to point out that Compost is the one paying 0.14, Recycle Bin is 0.00 too.

Also agree, I have run some numbers on latest weights and it will be more expensive for us too with Greenstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

fmcato wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that Compost is the one paying 0.14, Recycle Bin is 0.00 too.

Also agree, I have run some numbers on latest weights and it will be more expensive for us too with Greenstar.

Cancel your direct debits and leave the waste out till they see sense. Wonder if those Tipp Heads would have voted for Kelly if they had known about this.

here in Meath it is €15 per month service charge, 25 cent / kg for general waste and 15 cent for the compost.

The competency questions of this Government go on and on.

this will be more disruptive than the water protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Fiskar wrote: »
    Cancel your direct debits and leave the waste out till they see sense. Wonder if those Tipp Heads would have voted for Kelly if they had known about this.

here in Meath it is €15 per month service charge, 25 cent / kg for general waste and 15 cent for the compost.

The competency questions of this Government go on and on.

this will be more disruptive than the water protests.

The local councils used to collect refuse back in the day and now private companies collect the rubbish.

So why do the government interfere with the charges since they let the private refuse companies charge whatever they want for collecting waste.

This will only encourage more fly tipping.

I also leave my bin outside the night before the rubbish is collected, whats to stop someone from putting more rubbish into the bin?
    (Edit I found a link for a bin lock http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171900543691 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Sorry I fixed that now darn cut and paste

Fiskar wrote: »

Ouch thats going to be expensive, its all students around me, they've been cramming stuff into other neighbourhood bins for years, I can see the vigilantes coming out if they try it with pay by weight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,586 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're with Mr Binman at the moment it's about €29.00 amount and when we rang them to find out about th we first of July they don't seem to know.
    We recieveied our last bill at the end of May which is meant to run for six months but on the back of it it says charges cam change during the billing period.(or something similar)
    The impressions I'm getting is it's going to be expensive for most people.
    I can see alot of illegal dumping in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dumping in others bins is going to become a plague under pay by weight. It already happens where I live on a small scale. It's going to get worse. Still haven't got anything from Country Clean on what they're charges will be. But the general theme from the charges already published by the various providers is that almost everyone will see hikes in prices. So much for the Government promises of lower charges for 90% of households.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Cape Clear wrote: »

Thanks for that. I went onto his webpage and he had no contact information whatsoever. Sent off my grievances to Simon Coveney this morning, simon.convevey@oir.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We're with Mr Binman at the moment it's about €29.00 amount and when we rang them to find out about th we first of July they don't seem to know.
    We recieveied our last bill at the end of May which is meant to run for six months but on the back of it it says charges cam change during the billing period.(or something similar)
    The impressions I'm getting is it's going to be expensive for most people.
    I can see alot of illegal dumping in the future!

Some of the other companies are waiting for the rival company to announce the prices so that they can do it for slightly cheaper.

It's not that long till July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alaskaonline

I received two emails today from CityBin, the first stated two price options:

Option1
    Service Charge €2.49 week
    Grey Bin €0.35 kg
    Brown Bin €0.25 kg
    Green Bin FREE

Option2
    Service Charge €2.25 week
    Grey Bin €0.39 kg
    Brown Bin €0.32 kg
    Green Bin FREE

then a few hours later I received an email stating that they send the first email in error and the correct prices are as follows:

Option 1:
    Service Charge €3.99 week
    Grey Bin €0.25 kg
    Brown Bin €0.15 kg
    Green Bin FREE

Option 2:
    Service Charge €3.49 week
    Grey Bin €0.27 kg
    Brown Bin €0.17 kg
    Green Bin FREE

Not sure what to think of these prices. I read in a newspaper article that the Government set out the charges as follows: 11c black bin, 6c brown, green free so where CityBin is going with their new prices is puzzling me. The highest standing charge of €3.99 would make an annual difference of 54% i.e. increased total.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 corkion

wiser charges for july are 18.40 service charge plus 17.5 per
    kilo green bin is free .what a joke the food bin will b 14 cent
    per kilo

I received two emails today from CityBin, the first stated two price options:

Option1
    Service Charge €2.49 week
    Grey Bin €0.35 kg
    Brown Bin €0.25 kg
    Green Bin FREE

Option2
    Service Charge €2.25 week
    Grey Bin €0.39 kg
    Brown Bin €0.32 kg
    Green Bin FREE

then a few hours later I received an email stating that they send the first email in error and the correct prices are as follows:

Option 1:
    Service Charge €3.99 week
    Grey Bin €0.25 kg
    Brown Bin €0.15 kg
    Green Bin FREE

Option 2:
    Service Charge €3.49 week
    Grey Bin €0.27 kg
    Brown Bin €0.17 kg
    Green Bin FREE

Not sure what to think of these prices. I read in a newspaper article that the Government set out the charges as follows: 11c black bin, 6c brown, green free so where CityBin is going with their new prices is puzzling me. The highest standing charge of €3.99 would make an annual difference of 54% i.e. increased total.

Those Government prices are minimums. There is no maximum prices in the legislation so the bin collection companies are free to charge what they want over the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

How are people working out that their bill will increase by let's say XX% ? Does your current bill already provide you with weights? I'm with greenstar. I have no idea how much mine will go up by until I get a few bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I remember years ago when Cork County Council started pay by weight (just before they privatised the whole thing) the charge was approx 40 cent per kilo. At the time, it was more expensive to buy potatoes than dump them. The new charges are not too silly by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Those Government prices are minimums. There is no maximum prices in the legislation so the bin collection companies are free to charge what they want over the minimum.

Yep - Simon Coveney has said that he thinks the market will regulate itself, i.e. nobody will hike prices to put themselves out of the market.

But there's no accounting for all providers hiking their prices...

Has anyone heard from Wiser or Country Clean in Cork yet? It seems to just be Greenstar that has pricing out atm, which is pretty staggering since it'll be implemented in two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Country clean said prices will be on website in July

Has anyone heard from Wiser or Country Clean in Cork yet?

Wiser charges are back on the previous page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100062096

TheDriver wrote: »
    Country clean said prices will be on website in July

That's pretty shoddy. Coming into force 1st July and they won't tell people how much they'll have to pay.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    How are people working out that their bill will increase by let's say XX% ? Does your current bill already provide you with weights? I'm with greenstar. I have no idea how much mine will go up by until I get a few bulls.

Greenstar provides weights since March in my case. But I can only see that logging into my online account at their webpage.

Greenstar provides weights since March in my case. But I can only see that logging into my online account at their webpage.

ah..I was wondering that. Must ring them to get access to my online account.

So after getting access and averaging out the last three moths of data I worked out I will be paying roughly 27/28 euro a month for 5 people, which is less than the current 29.41 I pay them.
    Maybe I am making some mistake though as everyone else seems to say they don't generate much waste but their cost will sky rocket. Must do the maths again :-)

So after calculating costs again
    Current charge: 29.41

Charges under new monthly standing charge and weights:
    March : 27.56
    April : 26.74
    May : 28.31

Seems reasonable.

ah..I was wondering that. Must ring them to get access to my online account.

So after getting access and averaging out the last three moths of data I worked out I will be paying roughly 27/28 euro a month for 5 people, which is less than the current 29.41 I pay them.
    Maybe I am making some mistake though as everyone else seems to say they don't generate much waste but their cost will sky rocket. Must do the maths again :-)

So after calculating costs again
    Current charge: 29.41

Charges under new monthly standing charge and weights:
    March : 27.56
    April : 26.74
    May : 28.31

Seems reasonable.

I paid 259 for a whole year of "light" plan back in December, which makes it monthly 21.58 euros. Now that option is not there anymore.

I paid 259 for a whole year of "light" plan back in December, which makes it monthly 21.58 euros. Now that option is not there anymore.

Yeah they do appear to have combined everything into one plan which dies make sense if the bulk of the payment was for weight. But if course the standing charge is by far the biggest part of the fee so people who dump less get screwed proportionally more which is the opposite of what was meant to happen.

ianobrien wrote: »
    I remember years ago when Cork County Council started pay by weight (just before they privatised the whole thing) the charge was approx 40 cent per kilo. At the time, it was more expensive to buy potatoes than dump them. The new charges are not too silly by comparison.

It was 33c per kg and standing charge was much lower than greenstar are quoting now and I think it was still a weekly bin service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Heres o donohues eazybin

Heres o donohues eazybin

Another one waiting to see the other players cards before setting their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭skippey

Heres o donohues eazybin

Another one waiting to see the other players cards before setting their prices.

Check the website prices are up there for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

You can log on to Greenstar using your account number and PIN (both printed on a recent bill, if you have one).
    They are giving me my brown bin weights for the last three months (average 10kg p/m = €17).
    They aren't telling me my purple bin weights, but online research suggests that a 240l bin of general waste weighs 25-30Kg. 26 of these per year = €117-140 per year
    So. including standing charge of €234, that's €368-391)
    Including VAT thats €418-444.
    My last bill was about €175 for six months - €350 for a year inc. VAT. This was already a 7-8% increase on my previous bill.
    You might argue that bins aren't always full, but Greenstar also offered a service with a 140l purple bin for low users, instead of 240l, at 40 or 50 quid p/a cheaper.
    Whatever way you look at it, it's a massive increase in price.

• Advertisement

You can log on to Greenstar using your account number and PIN (both printed on a recent bill, if you have one).
    They are giving me my brown bin weights for the last three months (average 10kg p/m = €17).
    They aren't telling me my purple bin weights, but online research suggests that a 240l bin of general waste weighs 25-30Kg. 26 of these per year = €117-140 per year
    So. including standing charge of €234, that's €368-391)
    Including VAT thats €418-444.
    My last bill was about €175 for six months - €350 for a year inc. VAT. This was already a 7-8% increase on my previous bill.
    You might argue that bins aren't always full, but Greenstar also offered a service with a 140l purple bin for low users, instead of 240l, at 40 or 50 quid p/a cheaper.
    Whatever way you look at it, it's a massive increase in price.

Are the greenstar quotes prices excluding vat? Why are you adding that on as am extra?

Advertisement