Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 month old will only nap on me :o

Options
  • 14-06-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Help! She won't take a soother and will only nap on me while feeding. The second I try to break her latch she goes hysterical. I also have a 2 year old and so to prevent her waking her up / for an easy life I latch her back on. She is not a great sleeper at night either but she does sleep in her cot. I feed her to sleep. I'm starting to panic as I'm going to have to go back to work in four months and need to have her in some sort of routine for her own good. I suppose I've been lazy as I usually nod off too when she is napping during the day and I love this time :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hiya

I was in this exact situation too (except I didn't have a toddler at home as well as the baby!)

I was worrying about what I was going to do when I went back to work... and the short story is that my son just adapted to the new routine once I did go back. The childminder doesn't have the time (or inclination) to sit there for an hour or two while he naps on her, so he either naps in his cot or doesn't! After a few days he adapted.

In saying that, at weekends or whenever I'm home, he'll still only nap on me. It's not as demanding now because he's 19 months so it might be once a day, or if we're out and about he'll fall asleep in the car seat.

Basically all I'm saying is don't worry - when you go back to work whoever is minding them will have a routine and your daughter will just go along with it one way or the other.
    I used to get criticised (in a nice way by my own mam!!) about how it's starting bad habits but the truth is I adored nap time when he snuggled into me, and I still love it especially because I'm back at work and some day he won't want to nap on me, so I still savour those snuggly naps when he's in my arms. It will work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

genie_us wrote: »
    Hiya

I was in this exact situation too (except I didn't have a toddler at home as well as the baby!)

I was worrying about what I was going to do when I went back to work... and the short story is that my son just adapted to the new routine once I did go back. The childminder doesn't have the time (or inclination) to sit there for an hour or two while he naps on her, so he either naps in his cot or doesn't! After a few days he adapted.

In saying that, at weekends or whenever I'm home, he'll still only nap on me. It's not as demanding now because he's 19 months so it might be once a day, or if we're out and about he'll fall asleep in the car seat.

Basically all I'm saying is don't worry - when you go back to work whoever is minding them will have a routine and your daughter will just go along with it one way or the other.
    I used to get criticised (in a nice way by my own mam!!) about how it's starting bad habits but the truth is I adored nap time when he snuggled into me, and I still love it especially because I'm back at work and some day he won't want to nap on me, so I still savour those snuggly naps when he's in my arms. It will work out!

Ah thanks, that's really reassuring. I love the snuggles too :) hope u are finding work OK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My lb is 28 weeks, and only started napping in his cot by day around 3 -4 weeks ago, he will only sleep in his cot if he's put down on his front (he can roll himself now, so I am rolling with this -if you'll pardon the pun!!!).
    Give it time, and your childminder will figure out the best way to deal with it if he still won't sleep in his bed when you get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Been there with my now nine month old exclusively breastfed baby as well. Took some effort over months to get him back into his cot but it worked. It seemed like a phase as he also wanted to be carried ALL day for a few weeks.

He took on the pacifier after months and I wish we didn't have to use it but now he needs it for sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You're not going back to work for 4 months, that's ages away! Can you invest in a sling? That way your baby can breastfeed and nap in sling and you can still potter about if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

At that age, 4 months is huge. The routine will change about 10 times between now and then so I wouldn't worry. Go with it. You are probably still feeling the effects of the 4 month sleep regression. By 6 months sleep should be improving.

Advertisement