Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Ramps In Managed Development

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Management company & members will be liable for upkeep of ramps & errection of signage - an ongoing black hole. Remember all the ramp & footpath damage over the last big freeze - cracks, water freezes & expands, ramp damaged, in constant use - errodes more & more.etc If not upkept or signed then the company & members will be liable when an accident arises - pedestrian, cycalist, motorbiker, child on flickr, car damages/injures themselv on it. Child on flickr orthodontics - most common treated injury - e60k over lifetime replacement every 8-10 years excluding the usual pain & trauma suffering etc. Little kid up the road here - wobbled & fell - badly fractured leg - God knows what that will cost . Ongoing nightmare, not to mention increase in insurance premiums or worse, as can hsppen & has happened to many - refusal to re-insure & all the massive problems that go with that - playground shut, etc. Belueve me, its far easier to make a formal complaint about the gaurds regusal to deal with dangerous drivers if that is the case.
    In our estate the children running & pushing each other in fromt if cars & cycling out from between parked cars onto the feeder roundabout & roads servicing 300+ cars is a nightmare & tragedy waiting to happen. It got so out if hand thst not only did the local builder hand in letters to each house but the gaurds also did. We already have one child in a wheelchair. Children are children & will play but we teach our children basic road safety too. Roads are dangerous. We have the police to report & request prosecution of drink driving & dangerous car driving to. Use this system if basic man-to-man isn't working for the one or two who won't drive under the limit. But dosn't persecute those who do behave for the actions of others.

Houses with ramps outside typically have more noise, and typically ( like naff plastic windows & ESB boxes) also sell for less. Not a great reward for homeowners in any regard. Get the police, men of the estate involved - but don't open a bottomless pit of endless overheads, risks & costs for the homeowners - many families are struggling financially enough.

Not sure, but any time i have reported to the guards over the following:

Young drivers with no tax or insurance
    Young drivers driving while drinking, literally cans in hand
    Speeding in a small estate
    Cars actually racing 2 abreast

Do you know what was done.

Not a Fúcking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

Wow, can't believe some of the attitudes here. I have to admit I am biased as a parent of children and living in an estate. This is a big issue where we live. Children for the most part are very good and tend not to play on the road in our estate, but with children being children there is always the chance that they will make a mistake - 9 times out of 10 they will stop look and listen as shown, but maybe in 1 in 10 they will go without due care to chase a ball or for another reason, regardless of how well educated they might be about the dangers of the road. As drivers we are educated to always expect the unexpected, and in estates where there are children playing there will always be a small chance that a child will make a mistake.

In our estate the kids play on greens but also on the footpaths...and what I see every day is drivers travelling often at 30kph even when they can see kids on the footpath, which is not speeding according to the letter of the law...but what chance does a child have if they slip or trip accidentally off the footpath or green in front of a car travelling at that speed? There has to be responsibility on both sides, parents should be educating their children, which to be fair most do, but drivers also have to realise that kids will be kids and can make a mistake and that just because the speed limit may be 30kph it doesn't mean its appropriate for the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The parent or guardian who allowed their 2 year old get out on the road is the asshole here.

I stand by everything I've said in this thread, I hate speed ramps, they are bad for a cars suspension and children should not be on the road its not a playground.

Ramps are bad for cars and the environment.

When driven over at incorrect speeds by fools.

They're a necessary evil in areas of population used for rat runs or ill time keepers that think they're commute is more important than their neighbours lives.

This is basic driving skills, mechanical and road awareness; Adjust your speed to minimal. Don't speed up, brake, speed up, brake etc. That's just silly. Maintain a very slow speed in a suitable gear and gently cruise over the ramps without adjusting speed. This is good for the environment, good for kids, good for bushings, tyres and suspension. Driving on to a ramp whilst braking is worse than driving hard over a ramp.

Suspension and pneumatic tyres are there for a reason, don't tax them and they won't break. If we all had snooker table roads we'd be driving cars with fork lift style suspension.

If you feel this is slowing your progress get up earlier. If your driving ability or your cars ability can't hack ramps consider parking outside the ramped estate. That's doing yourself and everyone else a favour.

Simple solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

And of course not to mention the idiots that swerve to the kerb side or middle of ramps to avoid hitting/using them - an extra idiot hazard.

We all played on the roads when we grew up but the big difference was that most houses had only one car & a front garden & driveway where it was parked - not on the road. Fathers went out to work at 8 or so & the play-roads were clear with no 2nd family parked cars obscuring views on the road & footpath so it was a lot easier to spot oncoming cars, which were far less frequent in estates & not the tanks/peoplecarriers driven today. The daily second car runabout was rare & the eststes roads were just less busy.
    Estate roads are no longer the safe rosy havens they were 30 years ago & are not safe to let kids freely feck about on. You wouldn't leave your best china on the side of the footpath & hope noone drove over it or clipped it taking a blind bend. Even 20mph can kill or maim. Why risk it with your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

allibastor wrote: »
    Not sure, but any time i have reported to the guards over the following:

Young drivers with no tax or insurance
    Young drivers driving while drinking, literally cans in hand
    Speeding in a small estate
    Cars actually racing 2 abreast

Do you know what was done.

Not a Fúcking thing.

Therein lies the whole problem - did you go down to make a complaint? I guess not. Get the reg of the cars & addresses if they are living in the estate, Go down to the station, & make a formal complaint. If they palm you off make it clear you want it looked into & addressed - get the gaurd who is refusing to de with it Tag /Gaurd number ( on his shoulder) & ask to speak to the officer in charge & get his name & either request a meeting with him/her & make it clear you will wait or ask to schedule an appointment. If that dosn't get what you want say you will ask do you have to go to the area superintendent. There is Usually CCTV everywhere so check & see if there was in the area - either way the gaurds should not be let off for that kind of don't give a **** attitude ; nor should the homeowners be put to costs of tens of thousands over a lifetime because lazy C *****$ won't bother doing their jobs & protect law abiding people & the local scum take advantage of this. It just needs once for the gaurds to handle it seriously rather that creating a storm of trouble, problems, noise inteusion & lifelong costs for often struggling homeowners. Im sick of hardworking lawabiding people being put to time & trouble over f***s who don't bother doing the minimum of their jobs, or simply obey the minimum expected from society . Sort them out using the gaurds & if ghe gaurds are too lazy or not bothered sort them out. Far easier & better for everyone in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

hof1982 wrote: »

In our estate the kids play on greens but also on the footpaths...and what I see every day is drivers travelling often at 30kph even when they can see kids on the footpath, which is not speeding according to the letter of the law...but what chance does a child have if they slip or trip accidentally off the footpath or green in front of a car travelling at that speed? There has to be responsibility on both sides, parents should be educating their children, which to be fair most do, but drivers also have to realise that kids will be kids and can make a mistake and that just because the speed limit may be 30kph it doesn't mean its appropriate for the circumstances.

The limit in most estates is 50km/h. Traffic calming is meant to (hahahahahahahahah....) be appropriate to the limit - something designed for a 50km/h limit will not slow drivers much below 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

allibastor wrote: »
    Seriously, I would prefer to have to replace my cars tyres every 6 months if that is what it costs to not kill a child, or have one killed near where I live.

Tyres are not the problem. It's the wishbones, drop links, anti-roll bar bushes, springs, shock absorbers, suspension mountings, wheel bearings, steering rack bushes, track rods and track rod ends which get hammered on speed ramps.

How about a railings around the green which would help prevent stray footballs and kids from going out on the roads?

Advertisement