Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 NBA Draft

Options
  • 14-06-2016 3:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Draft thread here.

Not too far away now.

Saw an article day claiming that the TWolves are considering trading number 5 as part of a deal for Jimmy Butler. That would be a huge acquisition. The bulls might consider it,realistically they are facing a rebuild.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Draft thread here.

Not too far away now.

Saw an article day claiming that the TWolves are considering trading number 5 as part of a deal for Jimmy Butler. That would be a huge acquisition. The bulls might consider it,realistically they are facing a rebuild.

Dont see them giving Butler for 5, when Celtics would give them 3rd and Avery Bradley

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls are certainly facing a rebuild but they should be rebuilding around Butler as the cornerstone. Trading him would be ridiculous IMO. I'd be gutted even with the #1 pick for him. In Butler you've got an All-Star. It's far too much of a risk hoping someone like Ingram or Simmons can become that guy.

That said, I have seen that the Bulls want Wiggins and a pick for him. Obviously Minnesota would never do that, but it's the only sort of deal the Bulls should be considering to let Butler go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i'm wondering how the celtics will manage to get both cousins and durant :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Azariah Vast Interpreter

2smiggy wrote: »
    i'm wondering how the celtics will manage to get both cousins and durant :pac::pac:

they get introduced to bill russell begin to weep in the presence of so many rings and refuse to play for any other organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Paully D wrote: »
    Bulls are certainly facing a rebuild but they should be rebuilding around Butler as the cornerstone. Trading him would be ridiculous IMO. I'd be gutted even with the #1 pick for him. In Butler you've got an All-Star. It's far too much of a risk hoping someone like Ingram or Simmons can become that guy.

That said, I have seen that the Bulls want Wiggins and a pick for him. Obviously Minnesota would never do that, but it's the only sort of deal the Bulls should be considering to let Butler go.

From the sounds of it the Bulls are gutting the team.

There are selling Rose to other team, Noah has been on the block for a while now and I doubt will get a contract from them as a free agent.

Giving up Butler for a pick would be dumb as the Bulls needs guards and the draft doesn't have much depth at there.

• Advertisement

The New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls have agreed upon a Derrick Rose trade.

The Bulls will send Rose, Justin Holiday and a 2017 second rounder to the Knicks for Robin Lopez, Jerian Grant and Jose Calderon.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16427840/new-york-knicks-acquire-derrick-rose-chicago-bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Hopefully the new environment will bring some life back to DRose.. He's starting to regress at 27yrs old with those injuries taking its toll on him kinda starting to be Brandon Roy 2.0 in Chicago..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

With Lopez joining @ 14M per year, I say Noah is gone.

Bulls gained 1m in cap space with this trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who'd have thought before that Bulls/76ers game in 2012 that things with him and the Bulls would end this way? :(

I had such high hopes for that roster. 60 wins in 2010/2011, Rose's MVP and despite losing 4-1 to Miami in the Eastern Final that year the series was far closer. They kept most of the team next season, had gained the deep playoff experience the previous year, and secured 50 wins from 66 games in 2011/2012, before that injury in the first game against Philly in the playoffs. I wish Rose the very best of luck in New York and would love to see him get someway back on track. It's quite a good move for him.

As for the Bulls, the rebuild is definitely on with Noah and Gasol now on the way out. Building around Jimmy Butler is the sensible thing to do and Zach Lowe (and the consensus among others) thinks Chicago did well with this deal:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/745701827153395712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

However, a hell of a lot of work to be done now to put a competitive roster together and to be honest, I have zero faith in our front office at the best of times, never mind to complete a successful rebuild. I hope they prove me wrong but I suspect they will make a bollocks of it. You've got to look at it as if we've only got 4 more years of Butler and this year is essentially a write off anyway, so the clock is ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

SI.com saying everyone from 2-8 looking to shop their pick. Things are going to get interesting.

boston need to make it happen now.

On the Wiggins + 1 / Butler if take that if I'm either party depending on the +1 not being totally bonkers. Chicago get a younger player, Butler gets to bring his game and leadership to Thibs and co.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

I see the top two being set in Simmons and Ingram

After that is open season

Just watched a video on Dragan Bender (projected to go 3rd) on si.com. Kid looks like he can play.The comparisons are initially Porzingis-like, but as the video shows he's more like Toni Kukoc - that's setting the bar very high.

Just watched a video on Dragan Bender (projected to go 3rd) on si.com. Kid looks like he can play.The comparisons are initially Porzingis-like, but as the video shows he's more like Toni Kukoc - that's setting the bar very high.

I see more Andrea than Porzingis tbh

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I see more Andrea than Porzingis tbh

The Porzingis comparison is easy as he's white, tall, skinny and European but it's lazy.

It will be interesting to see him play against bigger, stronger players. If he has Porzingis like impact as a rookie he'll be doing well!

The Porzingis comparison is easy as he's white, tall, skinny and European but it's lazy.

It will be interesting to see him play against bigger, stronger players. If he has Porzingis like impact as a rookie he'll be doing well!

Kinda like everyone used to be a Dirk

Bit left field by Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ibaka to Magic for..
    "Orlando will send Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova and rights to Sabonis to the Thunder, sources said"

MEEEEEEEEEEENTAL

Time for Ibaka to tear up the east and become a All Star

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

OKC absolutely robbed the Magic with that trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

IF KD stays...... that is some team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Oladipo was a fan favourite in Orlando.
    Interesting to see what Vogel does next.

Apparently Kings and Lakers are in talks with a possiblity of trading Russell for DMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Azariah Vast Interpreter

Maker at 10 is hilarious

That Ibaka trade.....smh. He's limited offensively sure, but he has the length and quickness at his position that was part of the formula for pushing GS all the way.

Not sure if Oladipo is going to be much help. There's a similarity to Love there in that he's going to move from a situation where he was always option 1 on offends to now being option 3. Sure OKC needed help in that position but to give up Ibaka for that is a very high price to pay.

I just realised that they (OKC) let Harden go to keep Ibaka (so they wouldn't have to pay luxury tax)! And now they've traded him......

I just realised that they (OKC) let Harden go to keep Ibaka (so they wouldn't have to pay luxury tax)! And now they've traded him......

I'm not sure how much of a difference he'd have actually made.

Only one guy can take a shot and they already have two offensive weapons and his defence at times wouldn't cut it in a pick up game.

If he was a defensive weapon then maybe his influence could have been key, but he's only offering something at an end they have depth in.

Also on offence, he's a ball hog who primarily just scores on isolation plays. No really indicative of the sort of offence that would help KD or Russell.

Anyway its all hypothetical, but I think most people see it as a near sure thing had he not left and I personally don't see it that way.

Another thing I just found out, he's a free agent next year....so Orlando have him for one year. I didn't know all of this when I originally looked at this trade, now it seems like daylight robbery. Oladipo on his own given the contract situation would have been a con job, throw in all the other bits and pieces and you have to wonder what the helll were they thinking.

I'm not sure how much of a difference he'd have actually made.

Only one guy can take a shot and they already have two offensive weapons and his defence at times wouldn't cut it in a pick up game.

If he was a defensive weapon then maybe his influence could have been key, but he's only offering something at an end they have depth in.

Also on offence, he's a ball hog who primarily just scores on isolation plays. No really indicative of the sort of offence that would help KD or Russell.

Anyway its all hypothetical, but I think most people see it as a near sure thing had he not left and I personally don't see it that way.

Harden has "developed" (I use that word deliberately in quotation marks) into a very different player than he was prior to the move. It would be very interesting to see what he'd be like if he didn't become the 1 on 5 guy he is in Houston.

He wasn't the ball hogging, zero D player
    he's morphed into. He was a VERY good player on a very young team. Had they stayed together I honestly don't see how they couldn't have gotten better collectively as a team.

I hear you on the ifs, buts and maybes, but I still say they/Presti messed up big time. They let harden go only to avoid paying the tax. If they had won a championship between 2012-16 they would have made that money back spades and everyone would be praising them for putting their money where their mouth is.

Another thing I just found out, he's a free agent next year....so Orlando have him for one year. I didn't know all of this when I originally looked at this trade, now it seems like daylight robbery. Oladipo on his own given the contract situation would have been a con job, throw in all the other bits and pieces and you have to wonder what the helll were they thinking.
    Id be very surprised if Ibaka didnt get a star role at the Magic

After that, he will sign a max with them for sure

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Id be very surprised if Ibaka didnt get a star role at the Magic

After that, he will sign a max with them for sure

The problem is in 2017 with the increased cap space, pretty much every team in the league will be able to offer him a max - or at least max money........if his star rises there next year (which as you point out and I agree that I think it will) then what's the incentive to stay there when he could join a contender?

• Advertisement

The problem is in 2017 with the increased cap space, pretty much every team in the league will be able to offer him a max - or at least max money........if his star rises there next year (which as you point out and I agree that I think it will) then what's the incentive to stay there when he could join a contender?

Honestly

I think he will be happy to be on a playoff team as a star

Hence why I think he will stay with the Magic

Advertisement