Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create wifi link between two houses

• 14-06-2016 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭

I wonder if anybody here has done this before?

Currently I get 14mbps from Vodafone via Eir's ADSL2+ and my telephone line is around 2kms from the local exchange. This speed is as good as I'm going to get. Recently our local village nearby got its Exchange enabled for eFibre from Eir taking the speed from 24mbps max before to around 70mbps now.

I'm paying €55 per month to Vodafone and am out of contract, however I also own another house in the local village which could attain the higher speed. Both houses have line of sight of each other and I'm thinking I should cancel my current phone line and move it to the other house and get the higher speed in the village sent back to me via a wireless wifi link.

I'd also like to also keep my phone service so I'm wondering if I could get some analogue phone adapter which would convert the Analogue PSTN Phone into data to send over the wifi link and then convert it back to PSTN so that when I'd use the Telephone in my house it would go back wirelessly to the house in the village where the eFibre is located. I'd just move my phone number back to the village house as this house is used as a Holiday home by our extended family and empty most of the year.

I was thinking of buying two antenna like these;

http://www.irishwireless.net/nbe-5ac-19

They run in the 5.8Ghz spectrum which I think no licence is required for. Would I need to get a Licence for this? I have line of sight between both houses and I'm just wondering if its possible? It would cost me around €250 for the antennas but if I could get the 70meg from the village back to my house I'd be happy to pay it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Check out this thread in the Broadband forum.

I think the Ubiquitis should have the range.

Advertisement