Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Using down on the DPAD, but if i think the only time i ever used it was during the tutorial teaching me how to do it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Also the lighting effects in that realm travelling room, absolutely stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So I'm not finished, but a mate tells me I'm not too far, but I can easily say this is GOTY. No doubts in the slightest. After a certain point in the game, it's suddenly God of War at it's finest. After Helheim, that's when it really starts to take off. Amazing moment that I genuinely didn't see coming until the journey to it, and I still threw my hands into the air!

Best R3 for me so far is the Wulven. Do it if you come across them.
    Rips his jaw and the entire front of his body off!!
    Kratos is still the boss!!

I've even begun to like the boy (he shall not be called by his name to me until Kratos decides it). I genuinely think this game is perfect. It has plenty of nods, feels like GoW but still very different. Amazing job done with the combat. It looks absolutely stunning at all times. The story is the most engaging so far, but only since that point for me. I genuinely cannot wait to see how it pans out, but I just know it's going to be 2 more games until I get to send Odin to meet Zeus. And I'm ok with that!

• Playing in Resolution mode and in some scenes the pro's fans start to spin up, but most of the time its standard pro fan noise. Oddly enough the worse offender is the map, seems the fans get their loudest every time i open it.

Just got back to the lake after dropping down the difficulty from the hardest. Upgraded a bunch of stuff bought some new skills and now the game feels to easy :D Although i feel like im still early in the game as all the enemies are small humanoid's.

One thing i miss from the older games is the QTE's on R3 kill grabs. Snapping a Trolls neck in this game isn't nearly as satisfying as the older games cause you don't have to rotate the sticks.

I don't miss the qtes. This feels more Doom 2016 with the R3s, quick satisfying kills that don't completely interrupt the flow of combat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have no patience, the only game I ever watched cut scenes in was TLOU, this is the same. Don't know how designers make you feel for the characters but this does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm about 8-10 hours in and like others, I can see why this game got the reviews and scores it did. The game is utterly breathtaking, and has far surpassed any hopes I'd had for it. What's surprising me most of all is the story and characters. I enjoyed the story of the previous GOW games, but they were never anything special. This really is. How they took a character like Kratos and turned him into this version while still staying true to his previous incarnation is absolutely genius.

The side missions I've done are also fun, challenging and well presented, and I just want to keep exploring the world and realms they've created. I haven't checked out the trophy list for the game in case there are any spoilers, but I can see me going for the platinum for it. I just want to keep playing it and exploring everywhere.

Plus the game just looks so stunningly beautiful. As YouSavedMyLife said, the lighting effects in the realm room as well as many other places are breathtaking and among the best I've seen on console.

An incredible game. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So, I've got to the Lake of Nine. Now instead of going forward in the story I'm trying to find every little beach and jetty I can, mostly to hear Kratos telling Arteus storys while we paddle around.

Anyone having issues with the text size can use the zoom function on most modern TVs. On the Samsung 4K range all you have to do is hit sports mode and you can then zoom in on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I have no patience, the only game I ever watched cut scenes in was TLOU, this is the same. Don't know how designers make you feel for the characters but this does it.

I always find it incredible that people can enjoy a game and it holds their attention throughout when they're skipping the cutscenes. Does it not get confusing when you haven't been following the story?

• Advertisement

yeah I know, it's the way I am though. The first game I ever watched skipable cut scenes was the last of us. Maybe when Aeris died in FF7, was that skipable? Was in shock for a week.
    The character development in this though is spellbinding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find most video game stories absolute garbage so much prefer when games are well paced rather than the mgs4 method of boring you to tears with exposition. Short, sweet and just give you enough down time to catch your breath before you continue enjoying the actual game.

Not played god of war yet but what I've seen looks like it is well paced.

If playing a game I will always watch the cutscenes, seems kind of pointless not to but there are some games that mistake exposition as storytelling. MGS is the best example of how to bore the audience through tedium and cutscenes longer than an episode of most TV shows. Mafia 3 is a great example of great storytelling saddled with mediocre gameplay, it's a game that I find myself playing simply to get to the next part of the story. God of War does a great job of telling the story through gameplay, it's informative and fun while realising that people are here to play the game not watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

It was so cool when I got to the lake of the nine section and realise that map I'm starting on is just 1 section of the world I'm assuming there's 9 separate maps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Didn't realise Christopher Judge was Kratos this time round, until I got to the
    Mountain Base
    and he let out a laconic - "Indeed".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hard to dispute the things GoW does well. It's immaculately polished, audacious in its 'single shot' approach, and is a technical marvel. It evolves the series both mechanically and narratively. At its best - such as 'the stranger' fight - it's an example of character articulated through gameplay, Kratos' inner anger, frustrations and raw power manifesting themselves viscerally. Ditto the way Atreus' combat role develops along with the character and his relationship with his father (doesn't handle this as well as something like The Last Guardian, but still pretty successful).

Its biggest problem is a bad case of what I can only describe as 'AAA bloat'. The volume of collectibles, upgrades, XP, lore additions and other bits & pieces of micromanaging busy work is dizzying. The game is constantly pulling you off the critical path with glowing red chests and the like, and it unfortunately dilutes the experience. They're semi-optional, sure, but also clearly necessary to keep at an adequate power level. It's a game where Atreus and Kratos himself are pulling themselves one way (sometimes vocally), but then the game interjects in a very AAA gamey way and says 'hey, what about this path instead?'. Which is fine - no fundamental problem with that design approach... but here IMO it robs the game of the sense of momentum and urgency of the journey itself. At its very worst, the characters are contradicting themselves by constantly being distracted by shiny trinkets... and the script efforts to reflect this only draw attention to it.

It also is clearly trying to be the platonic ideal of a modern Sony blockbuster - cribbing from Uncharted, Horizon, Last of Us, Souls-likes and others throughout. At times, this is a bad thing - elements from visual design to individual setpieces do often stand out as 'well this is clearly "influenced" by *insert game here*'. Still, the experience is so carefully crafted and just enough of that God of War fury, tone and identity in there that it still mostly manages to retain a distinctive vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The GOW franchise needed this imo exactly like resi7 needed the push to 1st person it's refreshed both franchises and maybe one day we could return to that old style gow and we would be excited for it again because when ascension came out in 2013 people were yawning

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a game where Atreus and Kratos himself are pulling themselves one way (sometimes vocally), but then the game interjects in a very AAA gamey way and says 'hey, what about this path instead?'. Which is fine - no fundamental problem with that design approach... but here IMO it robs the game of the sense of momentum and urgency of the journey itself. At its very worst, the characters are contradicting themselves by constantly being distracted by shiny trinkets... and the script efforts to reflect this only draw attention to it.

It has been slightly jarring when you're on the boat heading to your destination for a main story reason, and then Atreus says "Or we could go explore for a while, whichever you prefer"

Then again, I kinda prefer that over Aloy's constant "I should go do this..." throughout Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Has anyone remapped the control scheme? I not crazy on the R1/R2 combo for attack (find fingers get tired much quicker haha)

ps absolutely loving this. GOTY so far for me and i really enjoyed FC5 but this blows it out of the water in every way. My pro definitely ramps up the fans when playing this so suppose it shows how much horsepower its using to run it. I was tempted to get the one X as its clearly more powerful but the PS exclusives are just insane Santa Monica, Naughty Dog etc are operating are some high level.

I swapped x and o around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Another thing just occurred to me i am playing on 1080p plasma with the Pro so i have it set resolution rather than performance. The thinking behind this is the supersampling will make it look even better.

What are other 1080p screen owners using with the pro???

I think I chose graphics. I'm playing on a Pro and a HDR tv. It looks amazing. Probably the best looking game I've played on the PS, although Battlefield is pretty spectacular too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Niska wrote: »
    Didn't realise Christopher Judge was Kratos this time round, until I got to the
    Mountain Base
    and he let out a laconic - "Indeed".

Didn't know it was a different Voice Actor.
    Had to go watch cutscenes from the earlier games, he's very shouty and screamy.
    I much prefer the new mature, calm and collected Kratos.

Dark Elves annoy me. God work has been painful today, just want to go home and play this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gimli2112 wrote: »
    God work has been painful today

Kratos quote? :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

"No we will not waste our time with that frivolous side quest, Boy".

Proceeds to waste time with frivolous side quest.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    "No we will not waste our time with that frivolous side quest, Boy".

Proceeds to waste time with frivolous side quest.

I’m paraphrasing this directly from the game:

Kratos: “We do not have time to help people, boy”
    *moments later*
    Arteus: “Changed your mind, huh?”
    Kratos: *growls*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got
    Muspelheim
    unlocked and it seems like its a
    horde mode
    type of thing. Got a pretty cool axe hilt out of it.

wes wrote: »
    Got
    Muspelheim
    unlocked and it seems like its a
    horde mode
    type of thing. Got a pretty cool axe hilt out of it.

I was coming to ask about that, I finished A New Destination and was trying to decide whether to go there or move on with the main story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Just reached the point where you're at a lake and the game opens up and lets you do side quests for the first time. I'm really enjoying it. The awkward interactions between Kratos and "Boy" can be pretty funny. It's definitely my goty so far anyway.

I feel like I've only started but I have 4 out of the 9 health upgrade collectibles so maybe I'm about half way through ?

Advertisement