Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

You've barely started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just finished it. Simply amazing. This will win all GOTY awards. Easily.

Game end
    A nice little preview of what's to come in the future, and did anyone else pick up on a potential series ending outcome? Mimir said that Odin thinks the Jötun have the key to killing him. And Kratos had the boy with Faye, who is giant, so the key to Odins death will be the not, imo.

BIt disappointed we didn't get to actually see Odin or Thor, and even lady Sif was mentioned, but I suppose they're keeping a lot for the later games.

Wonder if they'll do DLC or wait for the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Can somebody give me a percentage of how much I have left just completed the 1st realm with the flying dudes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are any of the trophies difficulty related?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Have not read the last 2 days worth of posts in case of any spoilers but is it just me or has this game been influenced by the new tomb raider games. The box breaking, crate opening etc to improve weapons jut reminds me of them alot.

Anyway was looking for a good reason to dip back into play station gaming and boy this is it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are any of the trophies difficulty related?

Nope

The collectibles are going to be a pain mostly the ravens I think as those can be tricky to spot but most of the other trophies seem to be for just doing everything in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'm slowly making my way through. By choice as its such a stunning looking game in addition to being extremely fun. Took down the
    Soul Eater
    last. I'm going to do it completely blind as I don't want to ruin any part of it. I'm glad I'm able to return to previously visited places as there was a chest that I could not seem to find my way to just after
    the witches house
    . I'll find a way. This actually was never a game I was following and had no intention of purchasing so I'm delighted it's been so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

biggebruv wrote: »
    Can somebody give me a percentage of how much I have left just completed the 1st realm with the flying dudes

Im just finished that too,i reckon about a third the way through? not counting the side quests etc.. I could be wrong,so feel free to correct me ,people who have finished it..

I am really enjoying it,the level design is just stunning,the HDR implementation is about the best ive seen on a game too.. The Combat feels really meaty.. Its definitely gonna be in the top 2 GOTY..(RDR2 is gonna have to really work to beat it)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

biggebruv wrote: »

Oh man that feels like so long ago... I don't even know how much longer I have in the story (think I must be getting nearer the end) but you still have a ways to go yet. I'd say you could be 20-25%.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Oh man that feels like so long ago... I don't even know how much longer I have in the story (think I must be getting nearer the end) but you still have a ways to go yet. I'd say you could be 20-25%.

Yes!! just what I wanted to hear loving this game more with each session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just got this. It's looks amazing on the launch ps4. Gald I stayed with that. Only have 20mins or so played but it's pure quality. Can't wait to sit down tonight for a few hours and get properly into it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ok I got the
    Blades of Chaos
    (<-- don't highlight if you don't want to be spoiled, its a big one), which was a pleasant surprise. The
    Helheim
    boss battle was pretty fun. There is a ton of room for expansion in a sequel or even some dlc with all the various realms, which we only get small bits of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Still really enjoying it. My biggest complaint so far is that some of the bosses seem to be annoyingly big health bars opposed to fun fights. Although the boss fight against
    the lightning dragon when you're climbing up the mountain
    was really good.

Mid game story
    I just got to the top of the mountain and was happy when I saw the stranger thinking that Kratos would be forced to tell boy the truth and then go kill some gods but no apparently there's a bigger mountain that needs to be climbed :rolleyes:.I get the feeling that that I won't even meet odin in this game and that's it's a set up for the next game/s like zeus with the old ones but I guess I'll find out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Still really enjoying it. My biggest complaint so far is that some of the bosses seem to be annoyingly big health bars opposed to fun fights.

The boss fights are not to bad, once you got there pattern down. You can take them down relatively quickly. I don't feel that its a war of attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The boss battles are basically the same as the original, just tighter. Learn the pattern, attack when you can, defend/dodge when you can't, repeat. Always been this way, just there's no real QTE's this time.

Now that i'm sitting at a keyboard and not typing on my phone, I can add more to my experience. Since finishing the main story
    I've continued on with the side quests and general exploration, and I still feel like this game has more to offer. I'm half way to Level 6, and I believe 7 is the current cap/max, which is weird. Plus, my stats don't even go half way up, so i'm wondering is that deliberate and the next games will fill it more/continue on.

Currently doing the last quest for the Dwarf brothers, looking forward to this armor they will be offering as a reward. Have freed 2 of the dragons, still have Nilfheim to explore, all the Valkyries to kill, more sconces to light and figure out what the story is with them, plus I find myself just boating around listening to Mimirs stories. Loved the one about how Odin lost his eye!

Actually, that is something that this game done so so well. Instead of a boring 'row here to do x' experience they could have given, each time you get in the boat (so far) there is a new story. It's really fun and interesting to see the direction they take with the lore, and the rebuttal to the stories by Kratos. They done that really well, considering i'm still getting more stories and I'm finished the game (but it still has the problem of those conversations supposed to have taken place before end game, specifically
    the one where Boy can't believe that one of the spirits you help was stabbed by his own son, and Kratos having done the same but already told him
    ).

I just want more of this right now. I don't want to wait another couple of years for part 2 and a few more years after that for part 3! I want it all! Now! It's that good!!

• I'm starting to doubt my upgrades now. Am I waisting resources on mid range armour?
    There's loads of purple and some yellow stuff available to craft.

It's hard know

Is it worth reading up on the previous games story ? Or will I get enough playing this? I'm at the point know where he's talking about
    Digging up his past to Freya
    after
    the boy gets sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it worth reading up on the previous games story ?
    Theres not much to it, Gods mess with Kratos, Kratos smash:

https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/4/17/17236516/god-of-war-story-recap-ps4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What difficultly are ye playing on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Playing on normal, had it on the harder one but struggled early on and thought I'd tone it down so I could enjoy it. There's always one boss who's a complete turd. Will probably try it on the hardest difficulty at some point, it's pretty easy on normal so far.

The boss battles are basically the same as the original, just tighter. Learn the pattern, attack when you can, defend/dodge when you can't, repeat. Always been this way, just there's no real QTE's this time.

Now that i'm sitting at a keyboard and not typing on my phone, I can add more to my experience. Since finishing the main story
    I've continued on with the side quests and general exploration, and I still feel like this game has more to offer. I'm half way to Level 6, and I believe 7 is the current cap/max, which is weird. Plus, my stats don't even go half way up, so i'm wondering is that deliberate and the next games will fill it more/continue on.

Currently doing the last quest for the Dwarf brothers, looking forward to this armor they will be offering as a reward. Have freed 2 of the dragons, still have Nilfheim to explore, all the Valkyries to kill, more sconces to light and figure out what the story is with them, plus I find myself just boating around listening to Mimirs stories. Loved the one about how Odin lost his eye!

Actually, that is something that this game done so so well. Instead of a boring 'row here to do x' experience they could have given, each time you get in the boat (so far) there is a new story. It's really fun and interesting to see the direction they take with the lore, and the rebuttal to the stories by Kratos. They done that really well, considering i'm still getting more stories and I'm finished the game (but it still has the problem of those conversations supposed to have taken place before end game, specifically
    the one where Boy can't believe that one of the spirits you help was stabbed by his own son, and Kratos having done the same but already told him
    ).

I just want more of this right now. I don't want to wait another couple of years for part 2 and a few more years after that for part 3! I want it all! Now! It's that good!!

Well with the level of graphics and time it takes to polish a very slick and smooth well made game such as these your gonna probly be waiting another 4 years for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is it worth reading up on the previous games story ? Or will I get enough playing this? I'm at the point know where he's talking about
    Digging up his past to Freya
    after
    the boy gets sick.

It's kind of fun/interesting I guess.
    Kratos kills all the gods...and ruins everything.
    Goes to hell..comes back..becomes a god etc

Worth watching some cutscenes tbh

You can watch them like this if you have time

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm starting to doubt my upgrades now. Am I waisting resources on mid range armour?

It's hard know

With the way the materials work in this there doesn't seem a big overlap between tiers of armour. So blue doesn't share with purple (I think).

The only thing you're 'wasting' is hacksilver, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some gear has luck buffs which increase hacksilver picked up anyway.

Also changing your outfit a lot is cool in this game cause they're all so well detailed.

For me this is the best western take I've seen on the 'character action' genre. Has kind of a DmC vibe with the duality between weapon types/stances, but it's done well here where it felt limiting in DmC. That you have to clobber guys a bit to break down their defences before finishing them with an axe. It's one of the least flabby combat systems I've seen in these games, ever move has its place in Kratos' arsenal. It's so perfectly compact.

Looks beautiful when you are clobbering as well. (There is a minor location spoiler here and some talking in it that some might find spoilery. Thumbnail isn't a spoiler)

Also the quality of content they dole it is so unlike modern games. Where everything now feels overly parameterized and engineered just to give maximum content with only minor permutations. Here it all feels authored, even when it isn't. It's like an old PS2 or Gamecube game in that respect. Feels like Resident Evil 4 with an approach to combat and enemy design that I can only remember last seeing in the first Devil May Cry (not reboot)

So yea I think this is a tremendous game and I hated the old series and used to laugh at how brainless it was both story, dialogue and combat. What a shock this has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished the main story last night. Absolutely loved it. This game absolutely deserves all the high review scores it's gotten. As I said before, it takes some of the best bits from other Sony exclusives, and while it doesn't really improve on most of what it takes from those games, it melds them together into almost a more complete experience than any of them.

They took almost the most one-dimensional character and series and rejuvenated it all into a brand new experience, while still staying true to the games before. An incredible evolution for the series and an amazing example of quality writing and gameplay.

Also, I don't think I'll ever tire of throwing and recalling the axe. So satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Started playing this on Monday, wow.

I've played the 4 main GoW games and enjoyed them (I love all the Greek Mythology) so was a bit iffy with this one being Norse, but it's epic.
    Sombre Kratos is different than what I'm used to, I like how they have him fighting to keep the rage in check though and the first time he lets loose was brill.

I've only landed in
    Alfheim
    now as I was busy doing most of the side quest stuff around the lake of nine, seems like the game only really opens up when you get there.

Judging from the previous posts on this, I'm barely into the story.

Being a GoW veteran at this stage, I know to smash everything and always look in the areas the camera doesn't show as usually there's something there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Also what's interesting are the design inspirations taken from Platinum games.

You have a perk for slowdown on parry/evade (depending on timing). Red and yellow flashes for attack you must avoid and attacks you can parry, respectively. It even has dodge offset according to a video by the combat designers so you can dodge in the middle of a combo string and resume afterwards (dodge offset comes from the first Bayonetta).

Finally GoW has caught up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So they pretty much just ripped off revengeance and added witch time :)

I suppose if you borrow, borrow from the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What difficultly are ye playing on?

Easiest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm starting to doubt my upgrades now. Am I waisting resources on mid range armour?

It's hard know

I gave up crafting armour as it seemed a waste of resources to keep upgrading it I now have a full set of legendary armour that I found in chests the only upgrade I added to them was new/extra sockets. I have my eye on the Epic armour but haven’t reached a point yet that gives the necessary resources. I haven’t played the main story in 2 days as I’m doing side stuff to level up and get resources first - best to enjoy it and not rush through.

Advertisement