Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually quite enjoyed the challenge of Nilfheim. If anything it's actually helped me improve in general combat as you can't waste time being defensive. Once you get into the rhythm of it and get one or two of the armour pieces, it really doesn't take that long to farm all the mist echoes you need.

At this point I think my biggest complaint about the game is having to hunt down all the collectibles. You can't buy maps or anything which means you have to use online guides, and some paths are closed off after the story is finished which, although it means none of the collectibles are missable, you can't just run through all the areas, and instead have to backtrack a bit to mystic portals. It's just a bit awkward. Be nice to have been able to have them marked on the map, or even if Atreus was a bit better at saying he saw something.

Just the collectibles and Sigrun (the b*tch has already killed me several times. I need the last health upgrade) to go for the platinum. Game is still incredibly addictive and satisfying to play though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe it’s because I haven’t bought a PS4 game at launch in a little while... but is the pretty much daily flow of updates for this par for the course with AAA games these days?!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Got platinum. That Sigrun fight was a bastard. Rattling after it on attempt number 12 I think it was. Even with the best gear in the game and low difficulty it was tough I thought. In the end being aggressive won the fight.

Loved the game but Nilfheim was rubbish and an unnecessary grind.

Just wonder though will there be DLC
    theres a few realms that were blocked off
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Nifelheim was such a drag for very klittle reward other than getting the stuff to help you survive the Valkyrie fight
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are ye on about Muspelheim or Nilfheim? I'm on the
    Valkyrie fight
    in Muspelheim and the area was the only part of the game so far I would say I didn't like. Just a pointless grind, disappointing to hear Nilfheim is the same sort of crap.

I've unlocked all the chests and finished the first realm tear in Nifelheim but I need to grind out another 32,000 mist echoes to finish it and the fun has long since gone out of it. I managed 13,000 ish mist echoes on one run but I seem to average 6,000 or so, so the thought of going around the maze another 5 times doesn't appeal. I'll get there just need the motivation, I've platinumed all 6 other GoW games this one won't beat me.

Muspelheim at least is basically the old challenge of the gods redressed for the new game.
    that is one tough Valkyrie but I learned a lot from that fight

Maybe it’s because I haven’t bought a PS4 game at launch in a little while... but is the pretty much daily flow of updates for this par for the course with AAA games these days?!

No. Maybe one a week or twice if there are important bugs to be fixed. I've never seen the amount of updates like GOW has had. Very small updates too.

Daxve wrote: »
    I've unlocked all the chests and finished the first realm tear in Nifelheim but I need to grind out another 32,000 mist echoes to finish it and the fun has long since gone out of it. I managed 13,000 ish mist echoes on one run but I seem to average 6,000 or so, so the thought of going around the maze another 5 times doesn't appeal. I'll get there just need the motivation, I've platinumed all 6 other GoW games this one won't beat me.

It seems that the more chests you open on a run, the more you get from each chest, so it's worth spending a bit of extra time going into all the areas and through all the traps in a full lap to get as many chests as you can. Plus the Nornin chests, particularly if there's one at the very start too.

All else fails, sell some of the resources you get in there for mist echoes. Should cut down the grind even further.

Once you get into the rhythm of it (I was running out to bank mist echoes, then literally turning around and running back in for another lap), it takes no time at all. Only hard part is Dark Elves and some of the worms. They can really take a bit of valuable time.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are ye on about Muspelheim or Nilfheim? I'm on the
    Valkyrie fight
    in Muspelheim and the area was the only part of the game so far I would say I didn't like. Just a pointless grind, disappointing to hear Nilfheim is the same sort of crap.

Nilfheim is worse because of the repetition you need to go through it about 15 times and you're not done in Muspelheim if you want platinum.You have to go back and re do it but it's not as bad as the first time. Second time out for the impossible trials you need 3 keys from the swords then head to the top to kill i think it's 70 enemies in 10 minutes. Do yourself a favor and skip the first one as it's a not getting hit one and do the others

And that Valkyrie is a kitten compared to the final one !!!!!

Penn wrote: »
    It seems that the more chests you open on a run, the more you get from each chest, so it's worth spending a bit of extra time going into all the areas and through all the traps in a full lap to get as many chests as you can. Plus the Nornin chests, particularly if there's one at the very start too.

All else fails, sell some of the resources you get in there for mist echoes. Should cut down the grind even further.

Once you get into the rhythm of it (I was running out to bank mist echoes, then literally turning around and running back in for another lap), it takes no time at all. Only hard part is Dark Elves and some of the worms. They can really take a bit of valuable time.

Only spotted that you could well after the fact, would have saved me a few hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So played about 2 hours of this and it's hardly the life changing game people are making it out to be. It's good but doubt the game is going to change much that I'll change my mind about it. It's standard triple A fare done well. Combat is a bit simplistic so far.

So far the only thing that has surprised me was some of the writing. It has some problems like Johnny Ultimate mentioned but when it's following the intented story path it really nails the mix of serious with the really dumb insane stuff that happens. How it's managing to keep consistent tonally is beyond me but so far its working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

So are the other realms just arena challenges? Went into muspelheim without realising this. Just did one trial successfully and went back to midguard to either do more side missions or advance the story. Should I have stayed or would it have been more of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So played about 2 hours of this and it's hardly the life changing game people are making it out to be. It's good but doubt the game is going to change much that I'll change my mind about it. It's standard triple A fare done well. Combat is a bit simplistic so far.

Two hours is barely out of tutorial in fairness. As you go along you can unlock more options for combat.

• Advertisement

So are the other realms just arena challenges? Just went into muspelheim without realising. Just did one trial successfully and went back to mudguard to either do more side missions or advance the story. Should I have stayed or would it have been more of the same?

Muspelheim is a series of trials of various difficulty. Have to complete them all to get to the Valkyrie at the end, and then complete a few more at a harder difficulty for the trophy. Its not too hard, but a few of the challenges can take a while. There's one in particular where you have to defeat 100 enemies without dying. They come out in stages so it's not too bad, just takes a while to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Retr0gamer wrote: »

So far the only thing that has surprised me was some of the writing. It has some problems like Johnny Ultimate mentioned but when it's following the intented story path it really nails the mix of serious with the really dumb insane stuff that happens. How it's managing to keep consistent tonally is beyond me but so far its working.
    For me the combat has this real nice brutal flow to it, but at 2 hours you have next to no skills unlocked.

This game is maybe the closest a character action has come to the original Devil May Cry for me in its design. I'd post videos I took of late game combat but they have massive visual spoilers sadly :(

Just platinumed there. Still would have preferred a map or something to find collectibles, but still got on okay. Sigrun was my last trophy. What a torturous fight, definitely the hardest in the game.

Will definitely play through it again in the future. What a game. It doesn't do anything in particular amazingly or unique, but it just does everything so extremely well, giving an amazing overall experience.

For me what made that fight harder than it needed to be was the position the camera could end up in after she starts the sequence of swoops leaving you to dodge the wrong way a lot of the time. Also resurrection stones didn't work if she killed you like that, the boy would try to revive you and you'd get the retry screen before he finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Also resurrection stones didn't work if she killed you like that, the boy would try to revive you and you'd get the retry screen before he finished.

That drove me mad. I also had one go where she had one bar of health left and I had a full rage meter but Kratos got stuck in the ground and his health slowly depleted. That was the only glitch I found in the 60 odd hours though.

I got the platinum once I beat her and overall I'd give it a 9/10. It did it's storytelling well and throwing the axe is still great fun. Plus it has a good few epic moments throughout the campaign. There's way too many collectibles and both the optional realms were a bit meh.

Full story
    I really enjoyed the ending although the epilogue you get for interacting with the bed after the campaign makes me want the sequel now.

If I had to guess I'd say that the picture depicting Kratos dead in his son's arms will come true but vengeful valkryie Feya will revive him and he'll find that Atreus has joined Odin and became the power mad Loki that's well known.

Plus the shrine that gives you the key to Jotunheim showed the symbol for the Japanese and Celtic Gods so we could have a good few sequels yet. I can't wait to see Kratos v Cu Chulainn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Jesus..‘Give me god of war‘ is no joke!!

Defeated first valkyrie. They don't mess around. The shield dudes in helheim are a pain. Unless I'm missing something you need to use the light runic attack to hit them as normal attacks just bounce off the shield. Means waiting for the cool down to complete if there's a few of them there at the one time.

Defeated first valkyrie. They don't mess around. The shield dudes in helheim are a pain. Unless I'm missing something you need to use the light runic attack to hit them as normal attacks just bounce off the shield. Means waiting for the cool down to complete if there's a few of them there at the one time.

Double tap L1 to break their guard with your own shield but you need to unlock that skill first.

Double tap L1 to break their guard with your own shield but you need to unlock that skill first.

Ah sound, thanks. Have all skills unlocked bar magic and
    blades - love this weapon
    . I'll give it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Made it to the giant's chisel for Jotunheim and I'm only just getting my head around the gear. So....

How do resistances work?

I took off Tyr's armor and threw on the ancients armor last night for all the resistances and I've a couple purple gems that do the same.

But the armor says it caps at 45%. And the gems say 60% I think. So what is it? Do you add them? Is there a universal cap?

The game does a poor job of explaining all this.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    Made it to the giant's chisel for Jotunheim and I'm only just getting my head around the gear. So....

How do resistances work?

I took off Tyr's armor and threw on the ancients armor last night for all the resistances and I've a couple purple gems that do the same.

But the armor says it caps at 45%. And the gems say 60% I think. So what is it? Do you add them? Is there a universal cap?

The game does a poor job of explaining all this.

No you wouldn't add them. I think it means the resistance you get from the armour is at most 45%, and the resistance from the gems is 60%, but that means at most it's 60% resistance, as the gems are still only resisting the first 60% of the damage.

So if my gems were, I think 12 & 15, that's 27% and my armor is at 45%, and if you don't add them,

does that mean the gems aren't doing anything at all then???

Rob2D wrote: »
    So if my gems were, I think 12 & 15, that's 27% and my armor is at 45%, and if you don't add them,

does that mean the gems aren't doing anything at all then???

Yeah not if your armour is already at 45%. Better using gems with a different buff.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah not if your armour is already at 45%. Better using gems with a different buff.

Oh well, so much for my bright idea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The armour system doesn't make much sense to me, but if there's more green then red, I'll switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Finally got around to getting stuck into it. I am enjoying it but the upgrading, collecting and crafting elements are taking away from it for me. I’ve zero interest in that stuff in a game.
    I didn’t think it would be as pronounced as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Finally got around to getting stuck into it. I am enjoying it but the upgrading, collecting and crafting elements are taking away from it for me. I’ve zero interest in that stuff in a game.
    I didn’t think it would be as pronounced as it is.

Curious what kind of games you would be playing as alot of games these days have the same kind of progression elements, whether it be through items or character levels.

I'm pretty sure im near the end of the game on the second hardest difficulty and i spent very little time at the blacksmith crafting/upgrading. Most of the time i visited him was for the conversations. I never felt i NEEDED to visit him because i felt underpowered. I went for long period of the game with low level gear and it felt fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just a query for anyone who's finished it, Im heading back up the mountain for the second time and im wondering am I very near the end yet? reason I ask is if im very near the end I want to go back and explore and do all the side quests and stuff before finally finishing the story

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Really tempted to pull the trigger and get this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Just a query for anyone who's finished it, Im heading back up the mountain for the second time and im wondering am I very near the end yet? reason I ask is if im very near the end I want to go back and explore and do all the side quests and stuff before finally finishing the story

A lot of the sidequests have you fighting really really high level enemies and grinding out resources that will sour you a bit on it tbh. Post-game is the best spot imo for that.
    You aren't really that near the end

Advertisement