Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

For Fire and Brimstone
    Complete all of the Trials of Muspelheim you have to complete it on normal, hard and impossible?

First time through the area, you have 2 trials at each sword normal and hard you need to beat to progress to the next area. Once at the top win, collect the chests and you get an "impossible" trail in each area which gives you a key , once you have 3 keys you need to beat the final trail at the top which is if i recall
    70 enemies in 7 minutes
    second time through i'd skip number 1 as it's a no damage one.

I think i set the game difficulty on the easiest just to speed things along at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just finished it there. Really enjoyed it.

However I didn’t really feel there were spectacular boss battles in it. With the whole range of Norse Gods there could have been some incredible moments
    but only giving us Baldur and Thor’s idiot sons as Gods to fight was a bit disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just finished it there. Really enjoyed it.

However I didn’t really feel there were spectacular boss battles in it. With the whole range of Norse Gods there could have been some incredible moments
    but only giving us Baldur and Thor’s idiot sons as Gods to fight was a bit disappointing
    I slightly agree but at the same time, the first Baldur fight was incredible, and the last fight with him was pretty great too. Thor's sons were also a pretty good boss fight, as was the dragon (and the final Valkyrie but she wasn't part of the story). But if anything, it's quite similar to the very first GOW game. Apart from Ares and the Hydra, there were few notable boss fights. But then they ramped it up for each sequel. I'm guessing the next game will be Thor and a few more of the minor Gods, then the third game will be Odin and all the remaining major Gods. I'd almost rather that as a way of introducing you slowly to the mythology and showing how you need to continue getting more powerful in order to take on the bigger Gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Finished main story last night. Got all favours done before. 2 chests unlocked so only got 8 apples and horns, couldn't find 2 seals for one and couldn't hit the bells on time for the other
    the one where you free the third dragon that had 2 bells on one thing and to turn you needed to use the wind power thing, couldn't get the timing down
    . Couple of realm tears left and 6 valkyries plus a few collectibles which I can't be arsed doing. Might go back to do the realm tears and valkyries at some point. Really enjoyed the game. One of the best I've played. To think I nearly wrote it off coz I didn't like the other ones, wasn't on my radar at all. I'm sure I'll play it again on a higher difficulty. I played on balanced and some of the encounters were tough so kudos to anybody playing on challenging or GMGOW.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone else cop the
    Dark Souls
    easter egg in The Mountain area? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Finished off the main quest last night. Only Nifleheim left for me to do now. Been a long time since I had such a great single player experience.

I was super surprised that:
    you got to see Thor at the end. Thought they would hold him back until the sequel. He looks pretty cool. I assume the next game will start with his fight, kinda like the old games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone else cop the
    Dark Souls
    easter egg in The Mountain area? :D

No. What was it?

Just looked it up,
    firelink! Or Iudex? Know its in Souls but can't recall where
    . Don't know how I missed that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No. What was it?

Just looked it up,
    firelink! Or Iudex? Know its in Souls but can't recall where
    . Don't know how I missed that.

I haven't spotted those! There's a
    lizard that's extremely hard to hit and will drop rare crafting materials if you kill it. It's the only one in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What about the Infinity War reference for one of the talismans? The 'Shattered Gauntlet of the Ages'? This article explains how to get and upgrade it. A lovely nod imo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still very much believe the game has a pretty significant problem with filler content, feature bloat, and mindless loot dispensing. That said, very impressed with the sequence where you
    reclaim the blades
    . That's a really excellent example of what the game does well. The camera gliding around your character,
    dropping Athena in-and-out of view
    , while the weather intensifies is a neat example of the visual approach working very well.
    Reclaiming the blades themselves is an example of a major new gameplay system motivated by both character and narrative... it marks not just a significant new weapon to play around with, but also represents a pretty major turning point in the unfolding narrative
    . The whole sequence exudes confidence, and easily a highlight of the game so far.

• Advertisement

I haven't spotted those! There's a
    lizard that's extremely hard to hit and will drop rare crafting materials if you kill it. It's the only one in the game.

Ha I mentioned that bastard earlier had to use an aoe from above to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Finished the story on this earlier complete with secret ending. It's a fantastic story, probably would have finished it ages ago but kept finding new things to do around the lake of nine.
    Now to clean up and do muspelheim and niflheim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I think this game has ruined gaming for me for now. I had Far Cry 5 waiting for me to finish GoW. Stuck it on today, I was looking forward to it but it’s absolutely rubbish coming straight from GoW.

• I think this game has ruined gaming for me for now. I had Far Cry 5 waiting for me to finish GoW. Stuck it on today, I was looking forward to it but it’s absolutely rubbish coming straight from GoW.

Far Cry 5 is a prime example of triple A gaming in 2018

Recycled content, recycled gameplay, with trademark ubisoft filler with absolutely no risks taken.

Everything I hate about modern gaming.

GOW was a gem in the middle of all the mediocrity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Far Cry 5 is a prime example of triple A gaming in 2018

Recycled content, recycled gameplay, with trademark ubisoft filler with absolutely no risks taken.

Everything I hate about modern gaming.

GOW was a gem in the middle of all the mediocrity

I know but I’d normally just get stuck into it anyway. I kind of enjoyed liberating outposts and stuff like that.
    They do the ‘bad guy’ character well and then just omit him from virtually the whole game. Vaas, Pagan Min and this Joseph Seed guy, they really need to involve them more in the storylines and gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This game is an absolute masterpiece, what a setting, I literally cannot stop playing, never thought Id find a game that was more addictive than Breath of the Wild and literally the first game I play after BotW is even harder to put down :D

Playing it on a big tv with a soundbar is great, sometimes you'll turn around and the World Serpent or a statue or something will be looming over you and you just have to stop and stare.

Only downside Id say is that the combat isnt as perfect as Dark Souls, the hit detection and blocking etc is a bit ropy at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think this game has ruined gaming for me for now. I had Far Cry 5 waiting for me to finish GoW. Stuck it on today, I was looking forward to it but it’s absolutely rubbish coming straight from GoW.

It's an issue I've had since I started playing games again in late 2016 with The Witcher 3. I plan on picking up a cheap second hand PS4 later in the year for this, HZD, Red Dead 2 and one or two others because the last year or so seems to have been particularly bad on this front outside of the PS exclusives.

M!Ck^ pretty much nailed it. I'm on PC so am loving some of the indie titles and strategy games (Civ, Total War, X-Com, etc) as well as catching up on some big titles of the decade likes tom Raider or the Arkham series, but my personal favourite type of game are expansive RPG-style open worlders and it's been a really poor series of letdowns in that sense over the last 18 months or so. If you've not got a Playstation (or Switch due thanks to Mario/Zelda) I genuinely cannot think of any properly rewarding titles in that sense outside of possibly Kingdom Come Deliverance (which I'm holding off on until they sort some apparent bugs out).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

kind of dipping in and out of this. I really like it but it hasn't hooked me like some other games have. Landed on a small island yesterday and couldn't work out how to open the chest. Went off on a side quest where 1/2 way through I figured out how to open the chest. Went back to the island but the enemies there had jumped several levels, probably not impossible but they were 7 and 8 and I'm a 3.

Killed a 7 but when I saw another 7 and 8 lumbering towards me I fled. Why does it do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

This game is just so so good. I dont know how many hours i've sunk into it trying to clean up a lot of stuff around the lake before going further with the story. Incredibly detailed world that i am almost afraid to finish. Like someone saida bout i played through about 2/3 of Farcry and i enjoyed it for what it was but to go back to it after this will feel like a massive step down.

GOW - Game of the year for me cant see anything touching it apart from maybe RDR2

• Registered Users Posts: 17 glinnwest

I am around halfway through the story and man, it is just amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Beat
    Sigrun last night.

I can finally rest........

But shur I might as well go for the platinum :pac:

Rob2D wrote: »
    Beat
    Sigrun last night.

I can finally rest........

But shur I might as well go for the platinum :pac:

A very fair fight imo, only once or twice when I was killed by her did I feel cheated, the rest of the deaths were my own fault!

Platinumed this over the weekend. Happy there will be no DLC, as this is the way SP games should be. Or if there will be DLC it should be Witcher 3 Blood and Wine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I finished Alfheim with 80% done. Should i be able to go back and get all the chest, ravens etc? Obviously the geography of the area has changed after completing it.

weiland79 wrote: »
    I finished Alfheim with 80% done. Should i be able to go back and get all the chest, ravens etc? Obviously the geography of the area has changed after completing it.

If it was your first time being there, no, you won't be able to unlock everything yet. Come back when you have the second Atreus bow attack and when you can remove the brambles from chests. You'll know when that happens.

weiland79 wrote: »

You can leave everything until after you finish the story if you want, everywhere is accessible still.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Finished this last night and whilst I really enjoyed it for the most part it doesnt compare to the last of us or Dark souls. It reminded me most of the brilliant Darksiders series. Whats the best option for trade in? Do you have to join some Gamestop club thing to trade against red or dead 2 or just take the 40 from Cex?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I must go back to The Last of Us and give it another go. To be honest I found it an chore to play and got sick of it about a third in to it and never went back. God of War is the opposite for me, any time I go on for a quick play before I know it an hour has passed and I just want to keep playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

You can leave everything until after you finish the story if you want, everywhere is accessible still.
    Is everywhere still accessible
    even after the "real" ending?
    I've finished the main story but
    haven't gone back to the house yet just in case....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Is everywhere still accessible
    even after the "real" ending?
    I've finished the main story but
    haven't gone back to the house yet just in case....

Yes, everywhere that contains a collectible is still accessible.

Advertisement