Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Is everywhere still accessible
    even after the "real" ending?
    I've finished the main story but
    haven't gone back to the house yet just in case....
    Yes, you'll see why when you go back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Thank you both! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally finished it. I say finally, because it certainly took quite some time to get there. Even ignoring the distractions that pull you off the main path, there's a lot of main quest complications that add extra hours to the running time... and not always convincingly. While several of the setpieces are well realised, others feel a bit like wheel-spinning. The main problem IMO is that the really good stuff - and that stuff is definitely there - feels diluted amid the more rote content (and content is very much a key word in this game).

The ending I have mixed feelings on. In terms of the actual ending to the main plot, it's nicely handled - while I still felt Kratos was a few steps away from becoming actually multi-dimensional as a character (albeit with several steps in the right direction),
    scattering the ashes marked a nice, relatively understated end note to a series best known for bombast. Unfortunately, it also lays on the JJ Abrams mystery box nonsense with all the Loki stuff... there's nothing wrong with leaving a few threads dangling for a sequel, but loading the final minutes with all sort of lore-heavy silliness only distracts from the more immediately emotionally satisfying conclusion.

The combat in the game can't quite compete with the likes of Platinum for technical depth, but it's still rather satisfying, in particular the latter stages. While the close-up third person angle means it can sometimes be a struggle to keep track of the action (the red arrow feels like a compromise) it never becomes a major concern, and instead this is a welcome evolution for the series that also feels like its expressive of the 'new' Kratos we see here.
    The addition of the blades in particular gives everything the boost it needs for the second half
    . There's a nice bit late in the game where
    Atreus actually stops obeying your commands due to where his character is at... I'd have loved to see ideas like that expanded on.

There's a few definite problems that crop up regularly. One is difficulty, which is all over the gaff - if you've strayed from the main path at all, most of the game will be an absolute pushover outside of the late game optional stuff. And repetition is its single biggest problem. That manifest itself both in the endless checklist of near identical stuff to find and collect (the surprise of loot - of which there is far, far too much - wears off well before the end), but also in the main game. It's frustrating how many times you have to fight effectively identical troll mini-bosses, especially given how few genuinely unique and novel major fights there are in the game.
    Hell, the first and final major boss fights are near identical... although there is at least satisfying story reasons behind that

If all this sounds overly negative, it's more out of frustration that a good game doesn't push itself to true greatness. I mean, everything flows like a dream here; it's had every cent of its development budget poured in it and it shows; and it is in many key and welcome ways a genuine evolution of a series that seemed doomed to irrelevance. While it's easy to lose hours to, it never felt as rewarding as something like Breath of the Wild where the was always little surprises to make exploration and experimentation worthwhile. Ultimately this is a game stretched too thin, its best ideas only occasionally popping over a playtime that will easily run into the two-three dozen hour mark. It's fun, impeccably polished, and obviously made with care and thought... but, one or two truly exceptional sequences aside, I couldn't shake the feeling that it's a game with too much in some respects, but not quite enough in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's a nice bit late in the game where
    Atreus actually stops obeying your commands due to where his character is at... I'd have loved to see ideas like that expanded on.

I'm gonna just go to this point, and I'll explain why. I think the time spent on that sequence was perfect.
    I dislike kids in general, and Atreus was a massive worry for me before this game came out. But he was a good sidekick, useful never in the way. That scene, even though short, started to grate on me, because I want to play a game, not a dad simulator. It lasted just long enough imo, because he learned very quickly that he can't be acting like that just because he's a God. Any longer and it would have ruined it for me.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How do you kill the last valkyrie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How do you kill the last valkyrie?

With great difficulty :D

Have your stats as high as you can get, and have good runic attacks for both weapons. Use both your runic attacks for one weapon, dodge her attacks until she gets close (use Atreus to stun her if she tries to hit an unblockable attack), then use your runic attacks from your other weapon. Keep switching between your weapons so your cooldown for the other is always charging in the background. Also there's an armour for Atreus where he has a chance to throw you healing stones if your health gets low. Always comes in handy.

Plus, Spartan Rage early so it can recharge during the fight and you can get a second Spartan Rage during the fight (and maybe even a third if you use the resurrection stone that grants you full rage when you get brought back, use it immediately as it'll help regen your health too).

Other than that, she's basically a composite of all the other Valks and uses their attacks, so you just need to learn how to recognise what attack is coming and whether to dodge or block.

I don't think I used Spartan Rage at all with her, simply because every time I did use it, she still managed to get me with an unblockable attack. What I found most useful with her (and any of the Valkyries) is the axe throw when she jumps into the air to do an unblockable. Quite effective. And patience. You can get 4 hits in usually after each stun, so hit 4 times and back out. I usually do 3 hits and a special move to finish, get the most damage in 1 go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anybody
    see the giant bird God-thing squatting on the horizon when you fought the Bridge Guardian to get its heart in Hell?

I love stuff like that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anybody
    see the giant bird God-thing squatting on the horizon when you fought the Bridge Guardian to get its heart in Hell?

I love stuff like that.

Yeah I thought it was meant to be or at least looked like a
    valkyrie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anybody

I love stuff like that.
    In mythology. He's one of the three roosters who signals the coming of Ragnarok. You fly right by it on the boat, looks more like a vulture in the game

I just have the Muspelheim trials and two Valkyries left to platinum this. My last platinum was InFamous nine years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just trying to recall, what was the deal done people here got with the limited edition GoW PS4 Pro console. I think Gamestop were doing a deal where you trade in your regular PS4 and add a few quid for the limited edition pro with the game?

Edit: Never mind, just saw you had to trade a pro and 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Penn wrote: »
    With great difficulty :D
    I don't think I used Spartan Rage at all with her...........

Thanks for the heads up lads. She fried my brain for 4 days so I concentrated on the collectibles.
    Went back to her and got her done in just under and hour. The timing of my attacks were vital for me.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Boom. Platinum achieved.

Just got it an hour ago myself. Pretty happy about it. Not a huge fan of platinum'ing games but for games that I love I try get all the trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

One thing that annoyed me a bit was the Nornir chest puzzles, I found them unnecessary and annoying, especially the harder they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just got the platinum. Some of those Muspelheim trials went on forever.

Bit strange that there's no way to check your overall play time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just found my first two Valkyries by accident. They don't mess around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm. About to flip a temple.. Is there much more gameplay to end? I'm worried I'm near the end...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sticker wrote: »
    I'm. About to flip a temple.. Is there much more gameplay to end? I'm worried I'm near the end...

Pretty close to the end now yeah. Less than 2 hours if you stick at it I'd say if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I only passed that bit yesterday. Just after it you'll come to a part where mimir (sp?) basically tells you to upgrade everything wink wink nudge nudge so i'm assuming i'm near the end story wise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

At the same stage after
    breaking the first link and the fight in the rooms with the flame spinning after were a pain in the hole, died & said to myself that's enough for now.
    How does one break the ice shields? I'm this far in & rely on kicking off ledges or Atreus with the lightning bolt arrows.

• Advertisement

Bugger. Ive completed any side quest when they arise but not that many I found. Shame... I would not consider the campaign massive then if I'm on the doorstep of completing it

Bugger. Ive completed any side quest when they arise but not that many I found. Shame... I would not consider the campaign massive then if I'm on the doorstep of completing it

ERG89 wrote: »
    At the same stage after
    breaking the first link and the fight in the rooms with the flame spinning after were a pain in the hole, died & said to myself that's enough for now.
    How does one break the ice shields? I'm this far in & rely on kicking off ledges or Atreus with the lightning bolt arrows.

You can stagger them by using shield bash. Think it's double tap L1/left bumper to do it (or possibly right, can't remember now), assuming you have it unlocked.

Another thing. I've still to gain any materials in game to craft epic sets... Are these coming soon from. The temple flip?

Another thing. I've still to gain any materials in game to craft epic sets... Are these coming soon from. The temple flip?

The legendary/gold sets? You won't get those materials from just doing the main campaign. There's two optional realms you can unlock for that by getting the language ciphers. (the chests with the masks on them)

Not having those sets won't hinder you in the campaign anyway really.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The legendary/gold sets? You won't get those materials from just doing the main campaign. There's two optional realms you can unlock for that by getting the language ciphers. (the chests with the masks on them)

Not having those sets won't hinder you in the campaign anyway really.

OK. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

OK. Thanks!

a lot of the side quests you have to search for when the water changes each time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most of the side quests happen in areas you don't go to as part of the main story. They're off the beaten track. Plus then you have the Realm Tears and Valkyries which are worth doing. Some of them are pretty challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

hittin the 3 bells is a pain. Gets old and boring after a while tbh.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    hittin the 3 bells is a pain. Gets old and boring after a while tbh.

I thought they had enough variation in them to keep them interesting. It was nice to make one of the collectibles that bit harder to get. Some of them had you thinking well outside the box.

Advertisement