Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    hittin the 3 bells is a pain. Gets old and boring after a while tbh.

I never minded them really. Some were difficult enough just to hit the furthest one, but for the most part I thought they were fine. Only one that gave me any real trouble was the one at (I think) Fafnir's Storeroom as I couldn't find the third bell for ages.

The Ravens were worse than the bells imo. Some of them were right b*stards to hit when flying around at a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Penn wrote: »
    I never minded them really. Some were difficult enough just to hit the furthest one, but for the most part I thought they were fine. Only one that gave me any real trouble was the one at (I think) Fafnir's Storeroom as I couldn't find the third bell for ages.

The Ravens were worse than the bells imo. Some of them were right b*stards to hit when flying around at a distance.

I couldn't complete 2 bells. One after the boss fight with the 2 brothers. Couldn't find 2 seals. Could have looked it up but wanted to a blind playthrough so didn't bother. Maybe I will if I play it again. Then one where you free a dragon which you come across as part of the main quest. Should explain which chest I mean as the you to need to explore to find the other dragons (I think). Didn't really mind ringing the bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Finished this tonight. Really enjoyed it, one of the best games I played this gen.
    Ending felt a little sudden when Baldur attacked the World Serpent as you were inside it. I will confess that I miss the variety of the executions & bosses from previous games. Story was really well done; from the relationship with Atreus, digging up the Blades of Chaos, the discovery Atreus was to be called Loki & it's set up the sequel/s great with Thor, Odin & Freya obvious antagonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

It's a good solid 7/10 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's a good solid 7/10 game.

Just out of curiosity what games would you rate a 9 or a 10?

Not saying you're wrong but only one critic out of 114 gave it a score lower than 8/10, and that was 7.5/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just completed flight of fafnir, jesus it was a slog.

First round of draugr were fine, then you had to defeat the huge traveler to get to the second shrine, he wasn't too bad just a matter of learning his moves and dodging, but usually one hit will kill.

Then when you think its done a revenant and two heavy draugrs that can heal themselves are thrown at you at the same time as having to dodge the dragons electrical attack. I got it done eventually but id say you weren't supposed to do this on my level.

Im replaying on give me a challenge so maybe it was extra tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Just out of curiosity what games would you rate a 9 or a 10?

Not saying you're wrong but only one critic out of 114 gave it a score lower than 8/10, and that was 7.5/10.

Probably the Last of Us and GTA V.

Truth be told lad I haven't read a game review in years I generally watch a bit of the game on twitch and see if i like the look of it.

May I ask what score you would give this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Probably the Last of Us and GTA V.

Truth be told lad I haven't read a game review in years I generally watch a bit of the game on twitch and see if i like the look of it.

May I ask what score you would give this.

I'd probably give it a 9, best single player game I had played in a long time. Thought the gameplay was great, enjoyed the story and characters and the visuals were top notch too.

And I had just played the Last of Us, for the first time, the week before God of War came out. I enjoyed it but found the gameplay a bit boring, especially when compared to GOW, and more often than not I just wanted to get through levels to continue the story.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

I'm currently replaying this game for the 3rd time in a row and absolutely loving it every time...Definitely game of the year for me so far!

On the Gatekeeper of Hell now.

Jesus he's ridiculous, if it's not bad enough dealing with him alone he constantly re-spawns reavers that you have to deal with. He's health pool is also ridiculous, the fight is so long as you barely do much damage to him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just completed the main story, it's excellent. Some of the fights are pretty frustrating, I've no idea how people would do it on the higher difficulties.

Fast travel seems to be locked for me though? It wasn't available in the shop. Do I have to do something to get it back?

Fought my first valkarie, the one at Thamur's corpse, an accident really I didn't intend to go looking for them yet and I missed her on my first play through, gunnr I think the name was.

I'll be honest and admit I lowered the difficulty down to beat her, I was just taking so little health off her on give me a challenge it was disheartening, even if I was to do it it would of taken forever and Id of had to be pretty flawless in dodging and parrying. I mean I can see it's not an impossible feat, her moves can be easily read, it's just the fight is a marathon due to her health and she can basically two shot you when she gets in, I personally could never sustain the fight without mistakes, too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Fought my first valkarie, the one at Thamur's corpse, an accident really I didn't intend to go looking for them yet and I missed her on my first play through, gunnr I think the name was.

I'll be honest and admit I lowered the difficulty down to beat her, I was just taking so little health off her on give me a challenge it was disheartening, even if I was to do it it would of taken forever and Id of had to be pretty flawless in dodging and parrying. I mean I can see it's not an impossible feat, her moves can be easily read, it's just the fight is a marathon due to her health and she can basically two shot you when she gets in, I personally could never sustain the fight without mistakes, too long.

Agreed, did that valkyrie on give me a challenge and was very difficult. The difficulty level is fine until you get to the end game stuff, try doing the trials at Muspelheim when enemies have 50% more health and kill you in about 4-5 hits. Makes the timed trials extremely difficult.

So I managed to defeat 6 Valkyrie's on normal, with great difficulty, I looked up where the other two were, Muspelheim and Niflheim and decided to give it a go...anyway long story short I ended up putting it down to the easiest level and just doing it that way, how or why someone would want to put themselves through that torture is beyond me!:P

On the queen now and she's beaten me a few times already on the lowest difficulty, just so hard to predict her attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Patience is key with the Queen. Leave her attack, dodge/parry, hit 3 or 4 times followed by a special, back up, repeat. Takes a while, and definitely an enjoyable and mostly fair fight.

@awec, fast travel should be unlocked by end game. Have you done all the side missions for the dwarves?

Patience is key with the Queen. Leave her attack, dodge/parry, hit 3 or 4 times followed by a special, back up, repeat. Takes a while, and definitely an enjoyable and mostly fair fight.

@awec, fast travel should be unlocked by end game. Have you done all the side missions for the dwarves?

It's difficult to know when to punish because she can instantaneously strike back, staggering you and leaving you open to a huge punish, her jump or staff attack usually.

If you try and keep her at range she has this lighting quick stab attack that you can't block and I find its difficult to dodge, again she follows up with another devastating follow up attack almost right away leaving no time to dodge/run/block.

Even Bloodborne/Dark Souls bossess weren't this bad!

I may go back and farm the echoes for the Mist Armour, I didn't bother with that I just ran through and fought the Valkyrie and ran out, might make a difference?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I found it worked well if you keep switching between the two weapons and using the three runic attacks. That way the cool downs are usually done by the time you switch from one to the other and once you're in the animations she can't knock you out of them.

Another thing is always throw the axe if she's in the air, it will always interrupts her aerial attacks.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I found it worked well if you keep switching between the two weapons and using the three runic attacks. That way the cool downs are usually done by the time you switch from one to the other and once you're in the animations she can't knock you out of them.

Another thing is always throw the axe if she's in the air, it will always interrupts her aerial attacks.

Or Atreus. He can get his shots off quicker than trying to aim the axe. I usually saved his attacks for that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    Or Atreus. He can get his shots off quicker than trying to aim the axe. I usually saved his attacks for that.

His arrows don't interrupt some of the queen's aerial attacks though he is great for stunning her if you need to heal, particularly that pack of wolves summon attack he has.

Or have the boy shoot her, usually works too.

• Advertisement

His arrows don't interrupt some of the queen's aerial attacks though he is great for stunning her if you need to heal, particularly that pack of wolves summon attack he has.

I found he'd stop the unblockable ones though. Everything else is easy enough to block/dodge once you learn to read her attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

For all you masochists out there. God of War is getting a New Game + mode.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-12-god-of-war-is-getting-a-new-game-mode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hmm,few hours in,its good. Not seeing the wow moments yet but im just started i guess.

Looks good,runs great even though PS is really spooling up the fans.

On a launch PS4 so no fancy graphics but i absolutely love the fact they allow a few graphical settings in the options. Being able to reduce the motion blur by 50% and the film grain by 20% i find ive found what personally works best for me. So many games on console domt include these options so delighted when they do.

Also,i also already now get the "BOY" memes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Platniumed this yesterday the last Valkyrie was a right bitch.

Such a good game, had everything graphics, production value, general wow factor. Some great cinematic moments.

I'm wondering will some of the other gateways be used for DLC or maybe the sequel down the line. There has been no word on that at all though has there?

9/10 for me and GOTY so far.

I dropped farcry 5 to play this so time to go back now

jones wrote: »
    Platniumed this yesterday the last valkerie was a right bitch.

Such a good game had everything graphics production value general wow factor.

I'm wondering will some of the other gateways be used for dlc or maybe the sequel down the line. There has been no word on that at all though has there?

Almost definitely be used for sequels. Can even imagine some new areas in Muselpheim and Nilfheim will be uncovered in sequels so they become full realms. Will definitely be a sequel. I'd say likely trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 L4yercak3

What a game

They've already said it will be a trilogy I believe! People are crying out for a NG+ mode, but I don't think they ever wanted to do it. I could imagine you continue on from the level you left off at in this one during the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ive been playing this all weekend and i cant get enough. The combat, the characters and the setting is so much fun especially those Valkyrie fights. I dont usually pay full price for games but this was so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

New Game + is released as a free patch on August 20th. In order to access the mode you'll need to complete the story on any difficulty.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/08/08/god-of-war-new-game-release-date-announced-details-revealed?abthid=5b6b177d5481591c360007ac

carry over all your progress including abilities, armours, talismans, enchantments, and resources

new features
    - higher level enemies
    - new rarity level of equipment to craft and upgrade
    - new "Skap Slag" resource to collect and use to further upgrade your gear
    - skip through cinematics in normal and New Game+ modes

• Advertisement

New stuff eh? I like new stuff. Might have to pick this up again!

Advertisement