Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah my GOTY for sure, started it last week and am love every minute of it. I started it thursday before last i think and am 1 trophy (technically 2) away from platinum it, I havent bothered platinuming a game apart from the soulsbornes and Nioh :D Such a well polished epic journey..

Now just the muspelheim trials left to do for last trophy, not looking forward to it tbh, some of them are a pain in the arse, especially the not allowed to take a hit one :mad:

But eh, i still need to play RDR2, but i know the kind of game it is, as much as i expect to like it, i dont think it will tick all the boxes GOW did for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm about 20 hours deep and have probably only scratched the surface. Absolutely loving it. It's currently challenging The Last of Us for my best game ever made title. It's extremely difficult to put down and the boss fights are just the right side of frustrating. It's just brilliant and is worth owning a PS4 for alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Finished the main story before Red Dead 2 came out. I still have an itch to go back and 100% it, though. Right now it is a crapshoot for GOTY with GOW and RDR2.

I have been trying to get through the end of Nilfheim to find the Valkyrie in the back is proving to be more difficult than I imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Finished the main story before Red Dead 2 came out. I still have an itch to go back and 100% it, though. Right now it is a crapshoot for GOTY with GOW and RDR2.

I have been trying to get through the end of Nilfheim to find the Valkyrie in the back is proving to be more difficult than I imagined.

Just
    keep going left
    , shes always in the same place :)

I was actually dreading her the most out of all the valks, thinking it was going to be tough to beat her before the mist got me, but she went down pretty quick, probably the easiest out of them all. But its possible i got lucky, didnt seem like it though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Also, for Niflheim, do as much as you can in there in order to collect/craft the Mist armor. Will make taking on the Valkyrie easier as you can spend longer in the mist. I actually ended up using the armor of a lot of the last 3rd of the game, it's really good. Pity it's green, but makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The only Valkyrie that gave me serious trouble was the one in the fire realm (don't remember the name now). Last one was tough enough too but fire lady took me longer to beat. Probably was slightly under leveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

nix wrote: »
    Just
    keep going left
    , shes always in the same place :)

I was actually dreading her the most out of all the valks, thinking it was going to be tough to beat her before the mist got me, but she went down pretty quick, probably the easiest out of them all. But its possible i got lucky, didnt seem like it though :pac:

Good looking out! I'm going to jump on after work and give it another go! :)

I found
    Hildr
    (the Valkyrie in Niflheim) to be the easiest, but is also hard if you're running low on time in the mist. Definitely (one of) the easiest combat wise. The one in Muspelheim is the hardest, even taking the Queen into consideration, as by the time you get to the Queen you're (near) end-game, so you're about as powerful as one would expect. I did take her on as one of the last things I did, so maybe that helped, but the one in Muspelheim was definitely harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Picked this up in Argos over Black Friday for €25.99, not taking it out of the plastic until Xmas, can't wait to get stuck into it over the two weeks off work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

For navigating Nifelheim, it organised in a diamond shape of 3 rooms on each side. Entry room (spot where you place the entry stone between Sindri and the "treasure" room)is on one of the corners, and it spars out like (going clockwise):

-entry room, rune chest and path to "treasure" room
    -small empty room
    -fight room, has first of the runes for chest in entry room
    -empty room with entrance to boss room sparing off from the left
    -fight room with 2nd rune
    -room with 2nd rune chest and 3 bells to open it, also entrance to Valkyrie room (becomes a 2nd boss room after she dies)
    -fight room (3rd rune here)
    -empty room
    -back to entry room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And done.
    Was just going to turn it off when got back from Jutenheim but looked up mediastinger and they said something happens
    if you go home. So nearly missed that ending

Really liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Just started playing this, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Just started playing this, any tips?
    Do some side content along the way and don't leave it all to the very end. If you're not very good at games like dark souls probably best to pick normal difficulty and temporarily go down to easy if you get stuck at any point.

Apart from that just enjoy it and return to your house after the story is complete. My favourite game this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm on something of a completionist quest at present. I was enjoying this but then foolishly took on a Valkeyrie under levelled, while at the same time becoming obsessed with Bloodborne. Blasting through it on easy mode now, it's quite enjoyable if very easy.

All the bits I found hard in normal are a breeze. I do find myself telling myself I am the God of War!
    I may actually finish off the normal run or start again. The early stranger fight is a motherfupper tho even on easy so, there's that.

Also Atrius becomes really annoying about 80% of the way through, he'd want to snap out of it. He's no Ellie.

I found it kinda tough at the beginning, and even towards the end the Valkyries give a good fight, but it's always fair imo. Most of the times I died, it was my own fault for not being patient enough, a far cry from the previous GoW games, and a massive improvement imo.

As for Atrius, I hate kids/companions in games, because they usually get in the way, or are useless and always had to be rescued. Not so in GoW. He does have a moment in this game, but it didn't last too long before he was back to his actually useful self.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I broke a controller in GoW2. The final boss fight with Zeus. Thinking of it now I'm still angry. There was a bit in the first game where you had to climb these turning columns, with blades. I swear to god I thought I'd lose my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I broke a controller in GoW2. The final boss fight with Zeus. Thinking of it now I'm still angry. There was a bit in the first game where you had to climb these turning columns, with blades. I swear to god I thought I'd lose my mind.

Absolute nightmare.

I nearly abandoned the game because of them, especially the one where you have to climb up vertically.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    God of war ascension had some rage inducing moments too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The trials section before they patched it, jesus christ that was face melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

RoyalCelt wrote:

I remember having to play the original God of War on a TV with no sound & there is a part where Kratos has to kill 3 sirens in the desert where you need to listen out for their calls to find them. That was fun

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    The trials section before they patched it, jesus christ that was face melting.

I still haven't played it since the patch. This summer I plan to do a play through on hard so I'm looking forward to seeing how much easier they made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I still haven't played it since the patch. This summer I plan to do a play through on hard so I'm looking forward to seeing how much easier they made it.
    I gave it a stab after the patch, replayed all the GoW's for nostalgia etc.

It's not even that hard now, they went the complete opposite direction with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I started playing this last week and am loving it so far. I've just done the bit with the dark elves and the bifrost.

I'm just wondering about the side quests, I've seen people saying that you should definitely take time out from the main quest and do these, but I haven't come across many.

I try to explore as much of the map while doing the main quest but there doesn't seem to be much else there. Am I missing out on some or am I still just early in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Have you got the favours from the dwarves yet? If you do one or two of them, you'll find more side quests in the areas they send you to.

I completed the main story before doing most of the side quests and I never realised how much of the map I didn't explore! So, yeah I'd recommend doing side quests as a break from the main story every now and again. One of the best things is listening to the stories being told in the boat.

Anyone have any recommendations for the best armour, etc for the Valkyries? I'm on the 7th one now and it's a head wreck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for the best armour, etc for the Valkyries? I'm on the 7th one now and it's a head wreck.

Just wait until you get to the Valkyrie Queen! Extremely difficult fight.

The difference between this game and others is that the side quests are totally relatable to the main story, and as a result there are not as many. Rather than busy the place with pointless side quests, they gave a few which were good, and as said above it's mainly from the 2 dwarves and other NPC characters you meet, there's no real NPC's in there just to give side quests iirc.

As for the Valkyries, pretty sure I ended up beating most of them with the Mist armor you get in Niflheim. I beat most of them after the main story, as some of them require serious skill, especially the Queen, but all fights are fair once you learn the patterns.

Nearly finished this now, just have the Valkyrie Queen, 2 Niflheim chests and the some trails left

What are people's favourite runic attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Jesus, I can't remember any of the names of them now but for the Queen Valkyrie I used that power up that slowed down time. On the Leviathan axe, my light attack was a spin attack and heavy was one where he'd slam the axe into the ground to give frost damage all around. On the blades, my light attack was a spin and my heavy attack was the one where it sends out three waves of fire.

That fight was tough and seriously tested my patience. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement