Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New God of War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Decided to play through this again. Playing on Give me God of war difficulty. Pretty tricky at times but doable. Im just at the bit in Alfheim under the lake where the dark elves try to kidnap Atreus. 71% of the trophies done before i restarted with only the axe to fully upgrade ( dont know why i didnt do this on the first playthrough) and the dreaded Valkyries. I never really gave them a proper go first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Finished this last night, think it's the first game I ever got 100% completion in, wasn't that much of a grind.

Beat the Valkyrie Queen last night after about 20 attempts!

Great game and can see why it won Game of the Year.

Do people think there'll be a DLC to address all the Odin stuff or will they keep that for a new game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd say they're setting up a sequel with all that and the Thor stuff, possibly another trilogy with Odin as the final guy to kill, similar to Zeus.

Ya I also meant to ask why this game is only called God of War and not God of War IV or something different?

Think I did read somewhere they said there won't be any DLCs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ya I also meant to ask why this game is only called God of War and not God of War IV or something different?

It's essentially a soft reboot for the series. Taking it out of Greek mythology into Norse mythology, brand new combat system, different tone in terms of story & character, semi-open world, RPG elements... There's enough familiarity to the previous games for fans who played those, but it's also different and new enough to entice new fans to try it without thinking of it a "God of War 4".

So just calling it God of War signals that it's a jumping-on point for people who might never have played (or didn't like) the originals. They probably could have added a subtitle to it (eg God of War: Ragnarok, followed by God of War: Ragnarok II etc), but I don't think it was needed.

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm repeating someone but I love all the little hints it gives to the next game, obviously there is the Valkyrie bit which isnt so subtle, but also mimir also mentions how freya was asking him how to get her Valkyrie warrior wings back,
    I'm guessing cause she wants to fight you, and then Thor showing up at the secret ending as wel
    l

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I reckon it will be Thor for 2 and Odin for 3, but I've no doubt they will have some amazing stuff in the next 2 games. And they had to leave Greece, considering he murdered all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Quick question on this Gents,

I reckon I'm about halfway through the game, without spoilers, I've been back home, and am reunited with an ally, In the shops, there is gold armor, that I cant purchase due to not having elements of the required currency, and purple armor that, while theoretically better than what I have, reduces my stats in a negative way.

If I buy these and then upgrade them, should they end up at a higher level than they were before? I dont want to waste currency on something that wont end up as a benefit - i hadn't really been paying attention to armor upgrades, and even though I havent had much hassle with any enemies so far - the exception being a few of the world rift enemies, and the travellers, but the 2 Valkyries I've found so far have made absolute bits of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Went back to this and started NG+. Forgot how satisfying the combat was.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭joficeduns1

First playthrough for me on the enhanced PS5 version. Have just beaten the electric dragon now, this game is phenomenal. I feel like I've almost out all future games at a disadvantage, as I didn't really play any solo PS4 stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Must go back to try and beat Sigrun. She is all thats between me and the platinum and is rage inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tips for all the Valkyrie:
    When they hover in the air about to do their nasty attack just throw the axe at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Vicxas wrote: »
    Tips for all the Valkyrie:
    When they hover in the air about to do their nasty attack just throw the axe at them.

A couple of arrows from Atreus works too

This. Atreus is your best asset in the game - that's why he has a cooldown. If you upgrade him right he makes the boss fights very easy.

He is crucial in the harder Valkyrie battles, aiming the axe can be a bit tricky when there is a lot going on, and you only get one shot. It is much easier to stun them with his arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This makes me want to play it again. I only played through once and ignored all the side stuff, upgrades. So much in here i never even knew about.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This makes me want to play it again. I only played through once and ignored all the side stuff, upgrades. So much in here i never even knew about.

A really enjoyable platinum (apart from Odins Ravens, the green birds he was struggling to hit in the video, they can get f*cked). The gameplay is so great and the amount of collectibles/puzzles isn't so cumbersome that it takes ages either. Planning a (non-platinum) replay myself before the sequel comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

The first encounter with The Stranger is glorious in 4k 60 fps. Only started it up for a look at the update but might have to keep playing through, it's so damn smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm downloading on the PS5 cant wait!

I have a friend who didn't get the platinum because of Odin's Ravens which is bizarre to me. Imagine defeating all of the valkyries and then thinking a few collectibles is a bit too far haha. tbh I just think he couldn't be bothered. They're easy to spot and you can hear the chirping a mile away. Worse comes to worse just use a guide although I personally didn't need one.

I think the main issue was just hitting the f*cking things (though there were some which being green and hiding in forestry made finding them a bit of a pain). Between distance, flight paths and the arc of the axe throw as it drops, hitting some of them was a damn nightmare. At least with the Valkyries there's an enjoyable challenge in it.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I think the main issue was just hitting the f*cking things (though there were some which being green and hiding in forestry made finding them a bit of a pain). Between distance, flight paths and the arc of the axe throw as it drops, hitting some of them was a damn nightmare. At least with the Valkyries there's an enjoyable challenge in it.

There was nothing enjoyable about that last one

Markitron wrote: »
    There was nothing enjoyable about that last one

There was if you just drop it down to the easiest difficulty because you've already lost to her 20 times and getting nowhere close and it's the last trophy you need for the platinum and you just want to finish the game because you have that meeting next week that you really need to do some prep work for.

Not that that's what I did or anything...

There was if you just drop it down to the easiest difficulty because you've already lost to her 20 times and getting nowhere close and it's the last trophy you need for the platinum and you just want to finish the game because you have that meeting next week that you really need to do some prep work for.

Not that that's what I did or anything...

I take it back, that actually does sound like fun

Markitron wrote: »
    I take it back, that actually does sound like fun

Even then it still took a decent number of tries to beat her. She's f*cking savage...

Even then it still took a decent number of tries to beat her. She's f*cking savage...

I think I did it on normal, and yes it took me a load of tries. I think I got a guide that told me how to spec specifically for the fight and exactly what to do, still took ages.

using Atreus to interrupt her attacks is absolutely essential.

Is there much detail about the new game? Ragnarok isn't it?

RedRochey wrote: »
    Is there much detail about the new game? Ragnarok isn't it?

No info at all bar the name really (yes, Ragnarok). Was said to be released in 2021, but I think most assume that's not going to happen and will probably be pushed back to 2022. Might see some new info in the upcoming State of Play events from Sony starting next month.

No info at all bar the name really (yes, Ragnarok). Was said to be released in 2021, but I think most assume that's not going to happen and will probably be pushed back to 2022. Might see some new info in the upcoming State of Play events from Sony starting next month.

I don't think Ragnarok is even confirmed to be the name, tbh I would be surprised if it is considering how attached that word is to Marvel atm.

Cory Barlog was dropping some hints about the State of Play so I think a cinematic teaser is a good bet at least.

Advertisement