Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

safetyboy wrote: »
    Oh and i have the 16 amiibo cards to start off with with in master mode :)

You don't understand master mode at all! Your cards can't help you!
    (Well, apart from all the weapons and money and food and horses they drop...)

Actually I must break my Champions out of the shed and grab that gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ok I’m in now. Got the hang of it properly Soon as I dropped the linear mindset and just explored it all came together and stuff started happening.
    Got my slate upgraded and a whole new heap of stuff to do. I really wanna knuckle down on shrines for stamina though. That bunch of side quests to open up the shrine near the fairy fountain is tough but I’m on it . Having loads of fun. Made about 5000 rupees making meals and selling them. That was cool learning how to cook and sell the meals and all that. Great money spinner too.
    Need more stamina though. Shrines!!

I played for 200 hours and I don't think it ever occurred to me to sell the meals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ok I’m in now. Got the hang of it properly Soon as I dropped the linear mindset and just explored it all came together and stuff started happening.
    Got my slate upgraded and a whole new heap of stuff to do. I really wanna knuckle down on shrines for stamina though. That bunch of side quests to open up the shrine near the fairy fountain is tough but I’m on it . Having loads of fun. Made about 5000 rupees making meals and selling them. That was cool learning how to cook and sell the meals and all that. Great money spinner too.
    Need more stamina though. Shrines!!

Stamina is a pain alright, I upgraded that and cooked a load of stamina food to get up a certain tower.

Also I did a shrine battle test in a and it took me ages to do it and load of tries to get his movements down, nothing more satisfying though when I took that fecker out two hours later when he fired his laser at me and I deflected it back at him with my shield!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I played for 200 hours and I don't think it ever occurred to me to sell the meals.

I guess that’s where running around Lost is handy. Picking up bits of everything. But if you figure out basic people food and keep the monster bits aside to make elixers you can’t go wrong. Secret to elixers is always out at least one live critter in. So a frog or beetle or whatever. Spent ages in Kakariko cooking then selling in the clothes shop. A good couple of hours before I had no ingredients left.
    It hen bought all the arrows they had and still had 4000 easily. The shop reups every day too. The arrows are a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It hen bought all the arrows they had and still had 4000 easily. The shop reups every day too. The arrows are a god send.

Fan of The Wire?

I never thought to sell meals either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I guess that’s where running around Lost is handy. Picking up bits of everything. But if you figure out basic people food and keep the monster bits aside to make elixers you can’t go wrong. Secret to elixers is always out at least one live critter in. So a frog or beetle or whatever. Spent ages in Kakariko cooking then selling in the clothes shop. A good couple of hours before I had no ingredients left.

I just sold gems all the time. Bait the sparkly rocks wiv' a hammer. That's what I did.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I just sold gems all the time. Bait the sparkly rocks wiv' a hammer. That's what I did.

Have been doing that too and told to hold onto them and any screws and cogs and gears. I undertsand the need to keep them now. The gemstones not so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Link has a tablet.
    It would be bloody handy if it stored like a gps location of each shrine completed.
    I’m struggling to find them. Then sometimes (often) you find them and you are in no way equipped to deal with the guardian or whatever puzzle it is.

I know it’s all part of it but a master list of the order you should do them in would be helpful.

This game is the most addictive and most frustrating thing I’ve ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Link has a tablet.
    It would be bloody handy if it stored like a gps location of each shrine completed.
    I’m struggling to find them. Then sometimes (often) you find them and you are in no way equipped to deal with the guardian or whatever puzzle it is.

I know it’s all part of it but a master list of the order you should do them in would be helpful.

This game is the most addictive and most frustrating thing I’ve ever played.
    You're equipped to deal with every puzzle and enemy from the minute you leave the High Plateau, dont overthink it.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    You're equipped to deal with every puzzle and enemy from the minute you leave the High Plateau, dont overthink it.

I dunno. Those guardians and flying guardians are unkillable for me so far.

Also got up to that Leny(?) above Zora domain and got my head kicked in several times. He’s a complete savage. Unstoppable
    I’ll have to come back to that one. And there’s a good few of him all over the map I’m told

Did kill my first talus last night though. That was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Also got up to that Leny(?) above Zora domain and got my head kicked in several times. He’s a complete savage. Unstoppable
    I’ll have to come back to that one. And there’s a good few of him all over the map I’m told

Worth remembering that not every enemy needs to be killed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Guardians aren't unkillable. You can parry their laser with any shield and good timing. But best avoiding them til you have the hearts and stamina and I'm not sure if you need the stasis+ rune but it wouldn't hurt.

The Lynel. You're not meant to defeat him, you're meant to go undetected by him while harvesting the arrows. If he sees you you're dead. If you want to hunt a Lynel you should have enough stamina, hearts, weapons/shields/food, upgraded rune or key items like Revali's Gale, and also some skill or technique wouldn't hurt.

Spoiler alert but
    all the bad guys respawn

antix80 wrote: »
    Guardians aren't unkillable. You can parry their laser with any shield and good timing. But best avoiding them til you have the hearts and stamina and I'm not sure if you need the stasis+ rune but it wouldn't hurt.

The Lynel. You're not meant to defeat him, you're meant to go undetected by him while harvesting the arrows. If he sees you you're dead. If you want to hunt a Lynel you should have enough stamina, hearts, weapons/shields/food, upgraded rune or key items like Revali's Gale, and also some skill or technique wouldn't hurt.

Spoiler alert but
    all the bad guys respawn

I have two guardian shields and tried practicing deflecting the laser from one of the ancient ones stuck in the ground. Died every time :)

Great advice though thanks all

Having fun finding shrines and building up hearts (5 now) and stamina

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I have two guardian shields and tried practicing deflecting the laser from one of the ancient ones stuck in the ground. Died every time :)

Great advice though thanks all

Having fun finding shrines and building up hearts (5 now) and stamina

If you're too close to them the timing is really tricky. If you're at the limit of their range, you can time it with the beam coming towards you. If you're reasonably near them, but not too close...
    Have the shield up, and tap the button to parry right after their eye flashes...

Star Lord wrote: »
    If you're too close to them the timing is really tricky. If you're at the limit of their range, you can time it with the beam coming towards you. If you're reasonably near them, but not too close...
    Have the shield up, and tap the button to parry right after their eye flashes...

Ah Brillo. Will do thank you!

A perfect parry that deflects the laser won't damage your shield. Don't use a good shield because if you mess up the parry the shield will break.

Ancient (guardian) parts are fairly plentiful later in the game so don't bother trying to kill guardians to harvest them when you only have 5 hearts. No harm looking up a youtube video to see how it's done and then try it yourself. Apart from that, just avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I dedicated some time to practising the parry against the guardians around the castle. Save and reload are your friend. Worth getting the timing down or you'll burn through shields.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I dedicated some time to practising the parry against the guardians around the castle. Save and reload are your friend. Worth getting the timing down or you'll burn through shields.

Cool I’ll do that thanks. I have three or four Knights shields. Think they’re the strongest I currently have. I’ll sacrifice one and save and reload as you suggest:)

Thank you!

No need to sacrifice it if you're saving and reloading.

Besides, there's no benefit to using good shields. If you mess up the parry it'll break the same as a pot lid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Also g weot up to that Leny(?) above Zora domain and got my head kicked in several times. He’s a complete savage. Unstoppable

Killing the Flying Guardians is pointless, I probably killed 2 of them in my whole run. I think you can oneshot them with a certain kind of arrow though.

Very satisfying when you pull that off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Then later on when you have two walkers and a bunch of turrets after you, and you're just messing around to see if you can make then fight each other before you dismember them and harvest them all you'll look back on this moment and laugh at how green you are now, it's a real monster hunter moment. I love this game....

Banjo wrote: »
    Then later on when you have two walkers and a bunch of turrets after you, and you're just messing around to see if you can make then fight each other before you dismember them and harvest them all you'll look back on this moment and laugh at how green you are now, it's a real monster hunter moment. I love this game....

You give me hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There are two more things you can do to make your attack easier.

If you shoot them in the eye with any arrow including regular, you'll hear the crit-hit sound and they'll be stunned. This is useful because when they're about to shoot, they stop moving, aim their eye at you and give you a few seconds to line up your shot. That stuns them and cancels their shot.

The other thing you can do is attack their legs. A few strikes will smash their legs and they'll spaz out for a bit. When they get up, do the same again and repeat until you get all their legs. By they time you're done with their legs, you won't need many more strikes to finish them. If for any reason they recover and start their shooting animation, shoot them in the eye to stun and get back to breaking their legs.

Shooting in the eye and going after the legs is your best bet in the early game. You'll need a decent sword, though. The Royal swords and elemental swords are easy to come by early on and will do the job

There are two more things you can do to make your attack easier.

If you shoot them in the eye with any arrow including regular, you'll hear the crit-hit sound and they'll be stunned. This is useful because when they're about to shoot, they stop moving, aim their eye at you and give you a few seconds to line up your shot. That stuns them and cancels their shot.

The other thing you can do is attack their legs. A few strikes will smash their legs and they'll spaz out for a bit. When they get up, do the same again and repeat until you get all their legs. By they time you're done with their legs, you won't need many more strikes to finish them. If for any reason they recover and start their shooting animation, shoot them in the eye to stun and get back to breaking their legs.

Shooting in the eye and going after the legs is your best bet in the early game. You'll need a decent sword, though. The Royal swords and elemental swords are easy to come by early on and will do the job

Aw deadly thank you!
    Think I got a royal sword last night? It was very late I can remember :)
    That sounds like my kind of strategy. RUN AT IT SHOUTING!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Started doing the trial of the sword last night, got to level 11 then died. just looked up how many more levels were left:o has anyone here completed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup, and am trying to psyche myself up to take it on in Master Mode...

I may be mad... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Yup, and am trying to psyche myself up to take it on in Master Mode...

I may be mad... :D
    is it an all in one go or can ya save and come back to it if ya get so far?

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    is it an all in one go or can ya save and come back to it if ya get so far?

I stopped playing the trial of the sword when I died on level whatever-it-was. One level on master mode is meant to be particularly unfair due to the enemies regaining health.

There's a guide you should follow if you can't be bothered figuring out your own strategy to defeat enemies, finding the hidden chests, what food to cook etc.
    https://ie.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/Trial_of_the_Sword

Advertisement