Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So much stuff in this game you can easily miss.

• I'm back playing it for a second play-through. It's like a new game as to Mickeroos point so much I missed the first time around.

There's a great Korak seed map from IGN too that you can use and check off the ones you have found

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm planning on restarting this on Halloween for two weeks before Pokemon comes out I want to catch the lord of the wild do that damn black out forest and find the fairys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

The blackout forest is easy when you get the motorbike with its headlight :)

Remember trying to catch Zelda's horse and it kicked me off the side of the cliff. Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I only restartedit again last week when I replaced my controller. The drift on the previous one was killing me, and Link

• Advertisement

Recommend a pro controller and big screen to do this game justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

MOM MAKES A GIGANTIC HAND DRAWN MAP OF THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD
    zelda-botw-hand-drawn-map-oct202019-2-1044x783.jpeg

zelda-botw-hand-drawn-map-oct202019-1.jpeg

https://nintendosoup.com/mom-makes-a-gigantic-hand-drawn-map-of-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

https://mobile.twitter.com/itika89/status/1185899517842903041

Incredible amount of detail and it must have taken a long time to complete with all the hidden detail.

(The game or the map? lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    MOM MAKES A GIGANTIC HAND DRAWN MAP OF THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD
    zelda-botw-hand-drawn-map-oct202019-2-1044x783.jpeg

zelda-botw-hand-drawn-map-oct202019-1.jpeg

https://nintendosoup.com/mom-makes-a-gigantic-hand-drawn-map-of-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/

https://mobile.twitter.com/itika89/status/1185899517842903041

Incredible amount of detail and it must have taken a long time to complete with all the hidden detail.

(The game or the map? lol)

That'd take longer to make than 100%ing the game :pac:

MAKING HYRULE - A Topographical Tribute To The Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild

https://youtube.com/watch?v=exGKn3Vjsic

All I could hear playing in my head while watching the intro was the Game of Thrones theme. This is amazing.
    hyrule+topographical+map?format=1000w

http://www.masondrumm.com/hyrule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sligeach wrote: »
    MAKING HYRULE - A Topographical Tribute To The Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild

https://youtube.com/watch?v=exGKn3Vjsic

All I could hear playing in my head while watching the intro was the Game of Thrones theme. This is amazing.
    hyrule+topographical+map?format=1000w

http://www.masondrumm.com/hyrule

Seen this on Nintendolife earlier. Looks epic.

• Advertisement

• Did I under-appreciate this game when i first played it?
    My second play-through is making me feel like I really did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Hyrule Castle was a bit of an anticlimax. Just went in the front gate, up to the ramparts and then directly to Ganon. Only engaged the guardians at the gate. Ganon was not hard to beat when equipped with 60 armour points, the divine beast powers and the master sword. Quicker to complete than any of the divine beasts. Even the Yiga hideout could have taken longer.

Thought I'd be able to roam about after killing him. Did 60 shrines and Google tells me there are the same number left. Will go back to my save to do them all in due course. They're well done. Seems odd that it encourages skipping so much good content. Once you finish the divine beasts it urges you to attack ganon right then, and clearly there's no need to delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Seems odd that it encourages skipping so much good content. Once you finish the divine beasts it urges you to attack ganon right then, and clearly there's no need to delay.

That's a huge part of the beauty of this game, is that it truly is open world once you've gotten off the Great Plateau, you're free to do whatever you want, go where ever you want, and wrap it up whenever you want. It's entirely up to you. You can always go back into your last save and go do everything else the game has to offer.

Well it's good that you don't need to grind but I'd prefer if the ending was challenging. I took my best weapons that had been stored in my house, filled my inventory with arrows and food, was ready for a long and difficult adventure. Then it was just over. I actually thought the battle with Ganon must be just be the start of it. Wasn't even doing more than exploring at that point because I was sure I was going to have to withdraw after breaking all my shields against guardians at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You don't go in the front gate of a castle ever, you scale those walls find a tunnel or bring down the defense, that's an order maggot.

Star Lord wrote: »
    That's a huge part of the beauty of this game, is that it truly is open world once you've gotten off the Great Plateau, you're free to do whatever you want, go where ever you want, and wrap it up whenever you want. It's entirely up to you. You can always go back into your last save and go do everything else the game has to offer.

Yep, totally agree. It's a breath of fresh air :) and Nintendo design genius here.

Really annoying on older linear Zelda games where you just get stuck and frustrated.

You don't go in the front gate of a castle ever, you scale those walls find a tunnel or bring down the defense, that's an order maggot.
    Who dares wins. Fortune favours the brave. We quell the storm and ride the thunder. Better to die than be a coward.

Finished this today after a month of on again off again gameplay.

I loved it, best parts of Skyrim mixed with classic Nintendo styling.

I've no intention of getting all the Korok seeds and all that jazz, but the DLC looks tempting. Well done Nintendo, a great game

brianblaze wrote: »
    Finished this today after a month of on again off again gameplay.

I loved it, best parts of Skyrim mixed with classic Nintendo styling.

I've no intention of getting all the Korok seeds and all that jazz, but the DLC looks tempting. Well done Nintendo, a great game

DLC is great fun too and a decent boss fight at the end of the champions ballad. With some good rewards + the hero path ... so you can see where you've left to visit. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I genuinely cant believe theres a sequel in development tbh, it feels like it should be a once in a lifetime thing you never get to experience again and a sequel should become a joke/meme like Half Life 3 but we're actually going to be playing it in a year or two, its a bit mad when you think about it. I love The Witcher III/Skyrim/GTA etc and Ive played basically every game worth playing of the last 20 years and beyond but nothing comes close to BotW, its easily the greatest of all time. Just a tiny bit more meat on the bones and a better ending and BotW 2 will be the best game we ever experience...

• Advertisement

It reinds me of San Andreas in a funny way. Just chuck it on for ten minutes, go on a wee adventure, break some stuff and then put it down again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

It's a great game but three things for me that i'd like to see removed or optional in the sequel.
    i) cooking, not for me, couldn't be arsed so never bothered with it.
    ii) weapon degradation, I could handle it in Dark Souls but in BOTW I found it particularly harsh and just unnecessary
    iii) the main dungeons. I never felt the same sense of wow/wonder in the dungeons as in some of the classic Zeldas

sweetie wrote: »
    It's a great game but three things for me that i'd like to see removed or optional in the sequel.
    i) cooking, not for me, couldn't be arsed so never bothered with it.
    ii) weapon degradation, I could handle it in Dark Souls but in BOTW I found it particularly harsh and just unnecessary
    iii) the main dungeons. I never felt the same sense of wow/wonder in the dungeons as in some of the classic Zeldas
    The cooking was a bit annoying alright. For me it was more the little animation you have to wait for than the action itself. There are a few repetitive things like that that I would have preferred not looking at tens of times. Seeing the same little monologue from 60 mummified monks was another. The builders little sequence as well. That seemed deliberate really, you had to wait for the guy to sit down again before asking for a further upgrade. Registering a tower... Would have preferred they just let you skip all of that stuff instantly than the slight reduction in loading times.

I just cooked fruit, hearty things, meat and buffs; didnt make any fancy dishes. Made most of my money by selling cooked meat. Would have been limited by money otherwise.

I liked the weapon degradation. You can expand your inventory and store weapons in your house. The champion weapons could be reformed, though it was expensive. The benefit of it was that it made the encounters with random mobs more interesting as you would usually use your weakest weapon. You do find greater numbers of powerful weapons than you need if you are conservative at all with their use.

I liked the dungeons. Never played Zelda before so can't compare. Didn't feel any sense of wonder in any dungeon. A combination of puzzles and boss fights was good though. Any sense of wonder in this game would have been while in the outdoors I think.

brianblaze wrote: »
    It reinds me of San Andreas in a funny way. Just chuck it on for ten minutes, go on a wee adventure, break some stuff and then put it down again
    I was like that for a good while but then it was more just put it down for ten minutes then go back to it.
    The controls require a little bit too much familiarisation for true casual play imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The controls require a little bit too much familiarisation for true casual play imo.

I continuously forget how to shield surf.

Most of the controls are fairly intuitive but the more technical aspects like the Sheikh Sensor (i.e. how to turn it off) and deflecting Guardian blasts take a bit of work each time I pick up the game alright.

I absolutely loved the dungeons. I loved trying to figure them out. Was a great contrast to the exploring.

I absolutely hated the cooking too. Every once in a while it had to be done. I wish it remembered previous recipes so one tap could remake them. I did Death Mountain last purely because I wasn't arsed making those fire potions until I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I absolutely loved the dungeons. I loved trying to figure them out. Was a great contrast to the exploring.

I absolutely hated the cooking too. Every once in a while it had to be done. I wish it remembered previous recipes so one tap could remake them. I did Death Mountain last purely because I wasn't arsed making those fire potions until I had to.

I use this for cooking
    https://www.guideofthewild.com/cook

Just like real life, batch cooking is best 🙂

Cooking is grand when you know what you're doing to make the strongest recipes and do it on a blood moon night from a quarter to midnight to midnight from memory for the greatest effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The fragile weapons were an essential part of the game tbh, how boring would it be without them? You'd just be swinging a royal Claymore for the whole game instead of looking around for environment kills/sniping spots or scrambling around for a decent weapon in the middle of a fight.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    The fragile weapons were an essential part of the game tbh, how boring would it be without them? You'd just be swinging a royal Claymore for the whole game instead of looking around for environment kills/sniping spots or scrambling around for a decent weapon in the middle of a fight.

Yes, BOTW is an adventure, living in the moment game. Just go with the flow. There are plenty of weapons so no need to worry :) This is another reason it succeeds so well.

Advertisement