Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

C5SHFUTW8AALVSo.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I still don't understand why previous Zeldas weren't classed as open world

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CastorTroy wrote: »

Maybe because you couldn't go anywhere you liked in the world from the start. Apart from the original Zelda. Skyward Sword being the least open world of all the Zelda games. And the worst. Have to keep reminding people of that. :D

Then you need to be reminded of the cdi games. :p
    Open world to me would be one where you're not forced to just keep going forward, like Uncharted. Being able to go where you want and do what you want is what I would understand sandbox to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

hairball wrote: »

Here's a google cache of the review before it was taken down.

I have to admit that reading that has made me much more excited about this game, as if that was even possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So, is Assassin's Creed considered Open World? I mean, there's a huge map to explore in III and IV but they lock so much of it off if you stray from the current memory or whatever the bull**** reason they built into it is?

Dizzy. There was an open world game. Go where you want, my ovoid chum, any direction you like - you'll still die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Amiibo post incoming anyone offended by amiibo cover your eyes;)
    NEW ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD AMIIBO FUNCTIONS CONFIRMED

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - amiibo Functions
    The functions of the upcoming Breath of the Wild amiibo figures releasing alongside The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have been a mystery for quite some time. But now at long last Nintendo have confirmed on their Japanese site what these amiibo do. They’re similar in function to the 30th Anniversary amiibo’s functions, but with some added bonuses. Each amiibo will summon a chest and some items, but what those items are depends on the amiibo. Keep in mind that this was Google Translated from Japanese, so there might be some slight discrepancies.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Link (Archer) amiibo Functions

The Link (Archer) amiibo will let you feast on meat and fish, and will also give you bows and arrows that you can use in combat.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Link (Rider) amiibo Functions

The Link (Rider) amiibo will help you prepare for riding horses by giving you equipment like saddles. Alongside horse-related tools you will also be given some weapons and mushrooms.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Zelda amiibo Functions

The Zelda amiibo (Zelda the character, that is) will provide you with plants that you can combine with other items, and shields you can use to protect yourself.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Bokoblin amiibo Functions

The Bokoblin amiibo will give you meat, which you can use as recovery items, as well as weapons wielded by the many bokoblin you’ll encounter while roaming the game world.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Guardian amiibo Functions

The Guardian amiibo (which features bendable legs that you can fit into a pose of your choice) is one I’m a little confused about. It will summon what’s referred to as “ancient material”. Whether that refers to those big metal blocks or the items within the chest I’m not sure. The metal blocks might be there for use with Link’s Magnesis ability that allows him to move objects through the air for puzzle-solving and fun interactions with the game’s physics engine.

GameXplain have also posted a video in which they inspect the boxes of the Breath of the Wild amiibo. The boxes show off some of the items that you can earn with each amiibo – of particular note is the Guardian amiibo which unlocks that cool tech-y arrow we saw Link fire in the original reveal trailer of the game. It’s possible that “ancient material” refers to the rather mystical items shown on its box.

Nintendo’s site also confirms compatibility with the Smash Bros. series amiibo of Zelda characters, but does not provide many details. It says that they will summon a chest just like the 30th Anniversary and Breath of the Wild amiibo do, with “special contents”. It also implies that non-Zelda amiibo will be compatible with the game, but will just give you meat and plants. And don’t forget, the Wolf Link amiibo also has a special function in the game – it’ll call Wolf Link into the game world as an ally. Each amiibo can only be used once per day.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Super Smash Bros amiibo

Most Zelda amiibo are available now – that is the Wolf Link amiibo, the 30th Anniversary series of Zelda amiibo and the Smash Bros. series of Zelda amiibo. The five Breath of the Wild series of Zelda amiibo will launch on March 3rd alongside the Wii U and Switch versions of Breath of the Wild. We’ve asked Nintendo if they have any English-language info on the usage of these amiibo.
    http://www.monamiibo.com/zelda-breath-wild-amiibo-functions/

Some nice functionality, but i dont think ill be using any of them, apart from wolf link.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In AC IV, it really was Open World, as is Syndicate (can't speak for the ones between). You were only locked in when you were carrying out a mission/memory, and outside of that could go where you want and do what you wanted.

Dizzy, those were great games. The original, Prince of the YolkFolk and Treasure Island Dizzy being standouts in my memory.

• Advertisement

But who's taking the photo? Epona?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pre-review from Polygon. :rolleyes:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/24/14723308/pre-review-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-nintendo-switch-wii-u
    Breath of the Wild has never stopped feeling like a Zelda game — and what’s more, it seems poised to establish itself as the first current, vital feeling Zelda title in longer than I can remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've been trying to keep my optimism in check, and I have an inherent distrust of open world games. But, with all the relevant reservations and moderation, this game is going to be ****ing magnificent, isn't it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've been trying to keep my optimism in check, and I have an inherent distrust of open world games. But, with all the relevant reservations and moderation, this game is going to be ****ing magnificent, isn't it?

I hope so! Have we been spoiled by The Witcher 3 I wonder though. As long as the open world itself is full of life and things to discover, then we're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Snippet from Gamexplain's preview. Just early-ish impressions of course but bodes well.

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is one of those rare games. It is an Ocarina of Time level game. It is a Super Mario Galaxy level game. This is a game we're going to be talking about for decades to come. It's going to be a reference point for these discussions 10, 20, 30 years from now. So you're going to want to remember where you were, what you were doing in your life, when you played Breath of the Wild for the first time. It is that good"

A piece from MH Williams USGamerNet on the structure of the previews, what they are and aren't allowed mention. Spoilered just in case as I know some want to have zero info from here on out.
    "No major spoilers - plot, boss, bad guys, main, and supporting characters. No direct puzzle solutions. There are two fairly major aspects of the open-world we're not allowed to talk about. Any extra named NPCs on the map. Certain Sheik tablet abilities. We were only allowed to talk about certain weapons, armor, and items. Oddly enough, some of them I'd be hard pressed to reach in five hours"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Maybe because you couldn't go anywhere you liked in the world from the start. Apart from the original Zelda. Skyward Sword being the least open world of all the Zelda games. And the worst. Have to keep reminding people of that. :D

You're dead right Sligeach,
    Hyrule field is as open as you like but still quite compact, a glorified hub between locked off areas, Metroid style.
    As soon as you gain the boots/Hookshot/appropriate tunic you're golden, but otherwise the various LoZ titles gave a definite linear progression.
    This new title seems to be a proper open world though I think the story critical areas are still going to be insurmountable without particular items or abilities, o out a few days until I know for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Previews!

Zelda sounds pretty fantastic going by the previews. All previews are of the switch version.
    Appropriately, for a game where the only thing you have at the start is a pair of boxers and a voice in your head, it takes a while to find your footing. Hyrule doesn’t hold back, and the struggle can be frustrating. But that Breath Of The Wild dares to let you struggle is what makes those first hours so thrilling. Danger is good. Danger is what gives video games life. Breath Of The Wild has finally reconnected with something the series knew so well back when it debuted: Being in over your head is fun, and finding your own way forward will always be more rewarding than getting led there.

http://www.avclub.com/review/breath-wild-most-alive-zelda-has-felt-30-years-250910

If my time so far have been a true preview of the experiences that lie ahead once I get on with the plot and descend from the Great Plateau, Breath of the Wild should be 100 or so hours of pure pleasure in the style of the original Zelda, but with modern scope and style. That sounds like the greatest link to the past I could hope to ask for, really.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=1989

It may be a very different Zelda, but it's shaping up to be one of the best ever.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/legend-zelda-breath-wild-switch

Breath of the Wild respects your intelligence as a player more than any Legend of Zelda game before it (with the possible exception of 2013’s 3DS release A Link Between Worlds).

And second? Breath of the Wild demands your respect. And if you forget that for longer than a few minutes it’ll remind you by knocking you flat on your ass.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/24/14723308/pre-review-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-nintendo-switch-wii-u

Like the Switch itself, Breath of the Wild is a game that it attempting to straddle two paths. It's rousing callback to the original Legend of Zelda, bringing back that feeling of wandering a vast, unknown world. Even this small snippet of the game features callbacks to some of the most beloved places and characters from Zeldas past; the 30th anniversary of the series was last year, but this game feels like the real celebration of that milestone.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-preview

This is a game we could write and talk about almost endlessly, as in its early stages it has truly drawn us in - Breath of the Wild blends true open-world mechanics with the touches and fairy dust that makes Legend of Zelda games so special. It's an intoxicating combination, and the exciting thing is that this has just been an early taste; we can't wait to experience all of what it has to offer.
    The adventure is only just beginning.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/preview_immersing_ourselves_in_the_world_of_the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild

Breath of the Wild is, five hours in, an enthralling and surprising experience, and the stories being shared among those playing it at GameSpot are all vastly different. Even though we are all playing the same game, we are envious of each other's unique experiences. Breath of the Wild embodies the freedom and danger that made the first Zelda game so enthralling, and captures the feeling of awe that came when Ocarina of Time hit the scene, in this case by layering unspoken variables into seemingly every facet of the game. Based on our early impressions, it's safe to say that Breath of the Wild will forever change what people expect from the series.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-dense-challenging-and-/1100-6448172/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

In a word: wow. This game is big. Without a doubt, the first few things going through everyone’s minds after picking up a controller and spending fifteen minutes with the game are:

This world is massive.
    The dynamic environmental effects are breathtaking and shockingly realistic.
    This game is hard, and while it’s accessible, the controls are not simple.

http://digitalchumps.com/legend-zelda-breath-wild-spoiler-free-preview/

We’re doing our best to find faults here but the truth is we’re hugely impressed. We already know some things we can’t talk about here, and other secrets that have been hinted to us by Nintendo. At this stage we’d shocked if this didn’t turn out to be the best Zelda since Ocarina Of Time. It may even surpass it, and since many still regard that as the best video game ever made it becomes almost impossible to overstate just how good Breath Of The Wild is.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

There can be no doubt that the Switch's initial lineup is weak. But this is a challenging, engrossing and truly beautiful game. Five hours in, it feels like a contender for the strongest game Nintendo has launched a console with since Super Mario 64. If you weren't thinking about playing it before now, I implore you to reconsider that thought.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/24/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-preview/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The wait till Friday the 3rd seems so close, but so far away now...

time-travel-in-games-7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Previews!

hki1IIs.gif

The hype is real!! ive 8 assignments due, nearly 2 every week from the week after switchmas day and im ploughing through them now, just so i can spend as much time switchmas weekend in hyrule!!

I like the way it's done before. Not being able to progress until you get a certain item. Seeing hookshot points that you can't get to but know you'll be able to later. Fighting enemies that were a struggle before and going through them like they were nothing now.
    Metroid Prime was fun like that. Having to backtrack and just blasting through enemies that would deal a bit of damage before.

• Advertisement

Terrific news about the previews. Now onto a missing game's report:

Have you seen this game? Last known whereabouts was on 2nd December 2016 at The Game Awards Show and was last seen wearing a Blue Tunic. Anyone with any information are asked to contact (01)0303-2017. Answers to the name Wii U but is also known as Switch in newer circles. Approach with caution, quiet kind of person, doesn't say much, may be armed and dangerous.
    C5cZZ2TWMAA_hzq.jpg:small

Great preview of the first 5 hours from Eurogamer.

This game looks like it'll get 10/10 everywhere. So happy. :)

Is Zelda: BotW on Switch Smoother in Handheld Mode? Head-to-Head Comparison (TV VS Handheld)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t2uY91kyg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

hki1IIs.gif

Sorry for the off-topic but that Nintendo rep beside Miyamoto, what the hell is he doing with his tongue when clapping?! :pac: :pac:
    Mr E wrote: »
    Great preview of the first 5 hours from Eurogamer.

This game looks like it'll get 10/10 everywhere. So happy. :)

Looks very promising, can't wait for the proper reviews to come out. Want to see how much there is to do in the world, what the combat and crafting are like, inventory management. How the story will progress with the open nature of the game. Moar details please! Nintendo's take on open world could be very special. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sorry for the off-topic but that Nintendo rep beside Miyamoto, what the hell is he doing with his tongue when clapping?! :pac: :pac:

Bill Trinen's tongue has become a bit of a meme. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/5sxh8k/have_you_guys_really_looked_at_bill_trinens/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CastorTroy wrote: »

I, meanwhile, have been wondering why billions of acres to explore is neccessarily a good thing.

Luckily, I trust these Nintendo fellas, when it comes to this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hilarious :pac:

(It's a gif from the game, don't scroll if don't want to see anymore footage before launch)

2CTSjf0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Advertisement