Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Corholio wrote: »
    The Zelda team are at the Game Developers Conference and they have revealed some fascinating stuff, including some early left field ideas for BOTW.

[
    C52yUyxVMAASQog.jpg:small

the cool thing about that demo is that it was actaully 3d and running botw physics engine! i would really love to give it ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What utterly fascinates me based on the few things I've seen and read of the game is the way the game's world and systems are so closely interconnected. It genuinely looks like everything has been carefully designed to encourage a really satisfying amount of emergent gameplay.

I think a lot of open worlds are sort of shallow husks, not much life to them at all. But here the grass, the trees, the rivers etc... all look alive and can play legitimately important parts in the gameplay. And unlike the endless stream of early access survival games, this also has a distinctly authored touch to it, so it's all not just a chaotic play-pen. Finally seems like a design team running with the sort of provocative design ideas last seen in probably Far Cry 2.

And that's all just from a few short videos and articles. I look forward to discovering the many surprises Nintendo surely have hiding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

No chance of anywhere in Dublin selling this early tomorrow? Literally can't wait :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jason2379 wrote: »
    No chance of anywhere in Dublin selling this early tomorrow? Literally can't wait :pac:

I think 'literally being unable to wait' is a life-threatening medical condition so I would urge you to contact a professional ASAP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Where the hell can i buy this for the WiiU? Can't see any copies on amazon :mad:

• Advertisement

I think 'literally being unable to wait' is a life-threatening medical condition so I would urge you to contact a professional ASAP :pac:
    Oh, get over your 2007 internet superiority and use your 'witty' literally/figuratively differentiation posts somewhere children can appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Embargo lifts at 11am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Sparko

nix wrote: »
    Where the hell can i buy this for the WiiU? Can't see any copies on amazon :mad:

Smyths have it available to pre-order on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That Wii U one will be a right bugger to get in a few days mark my words.

I hope to have both versions as I preordered both but may end up just going for the switch version as I want a pro controller too so if my Wii U one is free a super 16 monkey knife fight will determine who gets it, to the pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jason2379 wrote: »
    Oh, get over your 2007 internet superiority and use your 'witty' literally/figuratively differentiation posts somewhere children can appreciate them.

Perhaps you could crack out the emergency sense of humour while you're here.

Everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for this one, no need to have a strop over someone trying to break the tension, tension we're all feeling, and enjoying... tension, more like delicious anticipation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That Wii U one will be a right bugger to get in a few days mark my words.

I hope to have both versions as I preordered both but may end up just going for the switch version as I want a pro controller too so if my Wii U one is free a super 16 monkey knife fight will determine who gets it, to the pain.

You keep using that word...
    I don't think it means what you think it means... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I'm really tempted to splurge on a Switch pre order just to give this game a whirl (yet officially frame it as a treat for the kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Embargo lifts at 11am?

For the Zelda reviews? Seemed to be about 2pm GMT for the previews and unboxing videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Pre ordered a wii-U copy from smyths, hope i can just nip in and collect on the day. Cost €63 which is more than i usually pay for a game, but feck it, its zelda.

Just watched the recent wiiU/switch comparison videos on youtube, anybody who has a WiiU and is still buying a switch to play this, is out of their ruttin mind, they look identical :eek:

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    For the Zelda reviews? Seemed to be about 2pm GMT for the previews and unboxing videos.

I googled and just going 3am PST which is 11 our time. I thought it would be 2pm as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pre ordered a wii-U copy from smyths, hope i can just nip in and collect on the day. Cost €63 which is more than i usually pay for a game, but feck it, its zelda.

Just watched the recent wiiU/switch comparison videos on youtube, anybody who has a WiiU and is still buying a switch to play this, is out of their ruttin mind, they look identical :eek:

I would be one of those nuts people. Im a graphics nerd. The aliasing on WiiU will irritate me. The increased pop in wont but the aliasing will. I'll be getting it on the switch.

I originally wasn't going to get the switch because frankly, the launch line up is terrible. I likely wont get anything else til mario in November so it will be a Zelda machine. However, I like the Idea of being able to take it with me....and as a Pikmin/metroid fan....I know those games are coming down the line so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've played about 16 hours of it so far and I'm almost considering cancelling my wiiu preorder and ordering it and a switch instead. The resolution bump of the switch should be easier on the eyes (the wiiu version is very obviously running at 720p), and the frame rate should be better. But mainly for portability, the idea of being able to play it anywhere is really tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I've played about 16 hours of it so far and I'm almost considering cancelling my wiiu preorder and ordering it and a switch instead. The resolution bump of the switch should be easier on the eyes (the wiiu version is very obviously running at 720p), and the frame rate should be better. But mainly for portability, the idea of being able to play it anywhere is really tempting.

I wouldn't be jumping the gun just yet. The game atm is ver 1.0.0 without a shadow of a doubt there will be a release patch out tomorrow. So what I plan to do is grab it install it and see if it makes a difference. I think the update file was a little bit dubious but time will tell.

Even with the odd glitch it's an amazing game. So good I'm getting up now to forage and cook breakfast. Not in the Sparks household but in Hyrule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Does anyone know if Smyths or Argos will have Switch copies available tomorrow? I pre-ordered on Amazon via Parcel Motel, but they still haven't dispatched it yet. I'll have a Switch tomorrow with nothing to play on it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

I am in the same boat. seen the switch can be ordered now in smyths galway and collected at midnight but no zelda. don't see the point ill give it a days/weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Sparks43 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be jumping the gun just yet. The game atm is ver 1.0.0 without a shadow of a doubt there will be a release patch out tomorrow. So what I plan to do is grab it install it and see if it makes a difference. I think the update file was a little bit dubious but time will tell.

Even with the odd glitch it's an amazing game. So good I'm getting up now to forage and cook breakfast. Not in the Sparks household but in Hyrule.

I don't have any issues with how the game itself runs. For 95% of the time it's perfectly acceptable. It's such a good game I'm considering spending €400 to play it on the go!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My name is GenericDreahead and I am out of my mind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I don't have any issues with how the game itself runs. For 95% of the time it's perfectly acceptable. It's such a good game I'm considering spending €400 to play it on the go!

Couldnt resist and stuck it on the Wii U last night.
    I found there was severe FPS issues right at the start as you go out to Hyrule Field (go left), when you have the whole map/field in view (FYI that's not a spoiler! :P). Not sure why it's just at that point, as I was up another big high place and there was no FPS issues that were noticeable.
    But ye, other than that, I didn't notice much FPS issues.
    Brilliant game so far either way. And it's a lot harder than I expected. I died roughly 10 times last night playing it. I need to get more hearts somehow!! :o

IGN 10/10
    GameSpot 10/10
    Eurogamer - Essential

First 3 reviews I checked. Now to check more

Polygon 10/10
    Game informer 10/10
    USgamer 5/5
    GiantBomb 5/5
    Destructoid 10/10

Right back to work for me. I get the impression it's going to be good :P

All so negative so far.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Wow.. some of them are saying it's even better than OoT.

Seriously crazy reviews but so amazing to see. 98 on Metacritic so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Was just about to post the Metacritic link! Lowest so far is a 90 from Eurogamer Italy

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/critic-reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tumblr_o5mqcuNihM1sbzhteo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

Tye's gonna be very popular today

Advertisement