Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Mid January.

my order was placed 7 February 2015 and they still failed to shipped it.
    did anyone who order the Wiiu version from amazon get a dispatch email

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

hernie wrote: »
    I bought a physical copy of Zelda. There's no instruction book in the box. I see a space for one. Did anyone else get an instruction book?

I paused for a minute when I saw that too.

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

jos22 wrote: »
    my order was placed 7 February 2015 and they still failed to shipped it.
    did anyone who order the Wiiu version from amazon get a dispatch email

I paid £50 (€59) anyway so I cancelled and got it in smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My Amazon order was £10 off coupled with the £5 means I can happily wait for their expedited shipping, and I have Nioh to keep me company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Worth taking a moment to appreciate how artful the sound & music design is in the game. For a series known for some of its more bombastic and iconic compositions the subtlety here is a surprise, but a welcome one. The way brief but potent flourishes of lovely Joe Hisashi-esque music flutter in for only a couple of seconds is impressively evocative.

The game, it goes without saying at this point, is magnificent (I've only played to being given the paraglider). The first wide area is a bit of a masterpiece of tutorial design, introducing the tools but not explicitly telling you how they work in specific circumstances. There's a few bits where the game is gently encourages you to think 'hey, give this a go and see what happens!' - the subsequent discovery is based on the player's own willingness to in fact give it a go. Would have liked a little more guidance on how to actually cook though, was naturally expecting to be prompted when a hot pot is approached!

Certainly one of the first open-world games to marry its sandbox element with explicitly designed elements, and how satisfying it is. I've always found the worlds in, say, Bethesda games distressingly stilted - full of stuff, but stuff that doesn't feel like it takes any meaningful advantage of the pretty but ultimately rather lifeless environments. This has already offered a far more engaging world in which both the player and other characters / objects have a more direct relationship with the environments around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

sweetie wrote: »
    My Amazon order was £10 off coupled with the £5 means I can happily wait for their expedited shipping, and I have Nioh to keep me company.

how did you get the 5 pound, did you email to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'll be sending Amazon a mail complaining. God knows when it will arrive as they havent communicated anything to me yet. As above, I'm getting the Switch version for £39.20 so it's a good offer. Even better if I can get the extra £5. My Argos version will have to do for the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Guess those of us that ordered off of Amazon will be waiting a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Just waiting for update to finish. The anticipation is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Played a few hours and have to say the scale of the game is breath taking. Only just finished my second shrine but loving it so far.
    Highlight so far was wandering through the woods when a giant Talos just appeared out of the ground. Quickly realised I was going to get my ass handed to me so had to make a run for it!
    It really is a gorgeous game though. I find myself just wandering around the landscape on the way to my destination admiring it. The music in the overworld is quite sparse which makes it all the more noticeable when there is music and it is beautiful.
    Early impressions, I know, but this is definitely up there so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played a couple of hours tonight and it's pretty good alright. I do like how it doesn't hold your hand too much out in the open - was chuffed with myself for learning how to cook! :pac: Cooked some peppers so I could walk through the snow to get to my second shrine. Haven't got the paraglider just yet though.

You also get the feeling you can tackle a situation in lots of different ways which is great - I hide inside a barrel and snuck up on a bokoblin camp ala Metal Gear, popped out and snipered one with the bow & arrow then hid back inside for a bit. Very cool.

A few minor complaints though:

- Combat is very basic so far, nowhere near as satisfying as Nioh for example. I know it's never been Zelda's strong point but hopefully it gets more involved as the game progresses.
    - Stamina runs out way too fast when running, presumably it can last longer by using items or some such. And the stamina gauge being centre screen is off-putting, put it out of the way under your health bar like other games do or don't show it at all.
    - The loading screen should wait for a button press before disappearing - no point showing me tips if I can't get to read them.

Just my very early impressions but overall it's good and has bags of potential. I might go back to Nioh though and finish that before getting too involved in this.

Oh and playing on the Wii-U with the Pro controller and not missing the gamepad at all, although I've never been a big fan of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

Guess those of us that ordered off of Amazon will be waiting a while....

I had it ordered with captain toad treasure tracker and had opted for free shipping and for the 2 to be sent together on Zelda's release. I see now that captain toad has now moved to 'preparing for dispatch' and the money for just it has left my account. Zelda is still sitting at 'dispatching soon' with an expected delivery date of 7th/8th.

I'm guessing they're sending what they can now, and will send Zelda via priority shipping in a few days once their new stock is in. Hopefully that's the case anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

deadduck wrote: »
    I had it ordered with captain toad treasure tracker and had opted for free shipping and for the 2 to be sent together on Zelda's release. I see now that captain toad has now moved to 'preparing for dispatch' and the money for just it has left my account. Zelda is still sitting at 'dispatching soon' with an expected delivery date of 7th/8th.

I'm guessing they're sending what they can now, and will send Zelda via priority shipping in a few days once their new stock is in. Hopefully that's the case anyway!

Snap. The same thing is happening with me too only it's Steam World Collection instead of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Picked up mine this morning. Thankfully I had no issues with Amazon the way some others seem to be. In fact, I ordered the Switch on day one of ordering but Zelda about 3 weeks later. They actually put them in the same delivery even though they were separate orders.

chrislad wrote: »
    Picked up mine this morning. Thankfully I had no issues with Amazon the way some others seem to be. In fact, I ordered the Switch on day one of ordering but Zelda about 3 weeks later. They actually put them in the same delivery even though they were separate orders.

I think most of us(if not all) are waiting on the Wii U version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

I've haven't owned a Zelda game since A Link To The Past on the SNES. I'm tempted to buy a Nintendo Switch just for this; all your reviews sound amazing. Nintendo should get ye on retainer!

sligeach wrote: »
    I think most of us(if not all) are waiting on the Wii U version.

Waiting on then Switch version myself :(

Nothing to play on my shiny new console...
    I'd cancel it however I only paid €48 for it compared to the €70 on the eShop and in GameStop....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Waiting on then Switch version myself :(

Nothing to play on my shiny new console...
    I'd cancel it however I only paid €48 for it compared to the €70 on the eShop and in GameStop....

It is only €56 on the US eShop. Just sign up for a US account, thats what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

This is exactly why Gamestop thrive on pre-orders despite the extra cost. Arrive down on release day, pay the remainder of your money, and go home and get stuck in while everyone else is waiting on emails from Amazon and Dropbox.

There's a myth that Gamestop is kept open by soccer moms and culchies that aren't clever enough to save 50 quid. Tell that to everyone that has a Switch in their hands right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or, if you're lucky enough to live near one, just go to Smyths or Argos ;)

One of several delightful in game discoveries. Saw some fish, but didn't have a fishing rod.
    Did have bombs though
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I just grabbed some fish from the water while swimming, or while perched at the edge of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was on my way to the 4th shrine in the opening area when I fell off a bridge into cold water and pretty much instantly died :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Or, if you're lucky enough to live near one, just go to Smyths or Argos ;)

Well, exactly.

I almost always buy online but if I absolutely need to have something on Day 1 then it's bricks and mortar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

So had the chance to play this today. loving it so far. i got to admit i am disappointed about the frame rate issues. it bothers me kinda like the wii-u bothered me it didn't have any anti aliasing. been a member of the pc master race to long lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

The Digital Foundry early comparisons between the Wii U and Switch versions is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yFON2UON3k

Looks like I'll be picking up the Wii U version and will bide my time on the Switch...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone playing already tell me
    where do you get better clothes than the shirt and pants you find in the resurrection room at the start? I've done six or seven shrines at this stage but haven't come across anything yet.

Any tips on where to get decent weapons either? I presume you will be able to hold more stuff as you progress in the game, finding the limits very annoying so far...

If you
    climb to the top of Mount Hylia, the higher peak beside Keh Namut Shrine, Old man should give you something that looks like the classic green tunic. Cold resistant too. Think the Hylian Trousers/boots were in a chest somewhere in the ruins leading up to the first waypoint.

----

Great game so far.
    One cool thing i noticed is how you can get a makeshift fire arrow by standing with your bow equipped (but not drawn) next to fires :D

Amazon did give me a £5 off voucher. I'll use it on the next new Wii U game that gets released. ;)

It's 3:30pm and the other game(SteamWorld Collection) still says "Shipping today".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saw a shooting star which left something in an area I don't have access to yet which is quite annoying!

sligeach wrote: »
    Amazon did give me a £5 off voucher. I'll use it on the next new Wii U game that gets released. ;)

It's 3:30pm and the other game(SteamWorld Collection) still says "Shipping today".

Did you have to ask for compensation? I got nothing!!

• Advertisement

Did you have to ask for compensation? I got nothing!!

I didn't ask for compensation. I did send them a complaint e-mail yesterday. Maybe that was their way of compensating me for the extra wait. I'd much rather have the game than £5. But c'est la vie!

Send them an e-mail and you'll probably get the £5 voucher as well.

Advertisement