Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I too played Skyward Sword without dying...
    Though that wear mostly through getting very annoyed at the motion controls and quitting it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I am so weak. Just ordered my switch for collection on the back of this game. Please tell me it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jebus a million ways to die in the west of hyrule sounds intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Amazon now says Zelda is "Preparing for dispatch" but then sure they said SteamWorld Collection was "Shipping today" yesterday morning and still says the same thing this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

sligeach wrote: »
    Amazon now says Zelda is "Preparing for dispatch" but then sure they said SteamWorld Collection was "Shipping today" yesterday morning and still says the same thing this morning.

Mine has said "preparing for dispatch" since Wednesday yet when I contacted them they admitted it was out of stock and they didn't have one to send me so I would get too excited...

• Advertisement

Don't mind me. I'm not long awake yet and I remember now it's said that for the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I got a mail at 3.30 this morning saying it has been dispatched.

Bank statement now says I've a pending payment for it on Monday. €40, what a bargain! The pending payment for SteamWorld Collection was on Friday but they haven't sent it yet. Hopefully they send both together tomorrow. Still, it'll be Thursday possibly Friday before it arrives.
    C6JRuPtXEAA9tMM.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is probably the best game I've played in years, between myself and herself taking goes the whole weekend has dripped away and we have done nothing but play Zelda.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Need more rupees too, bejaney.

Staminoka bass can sell for 80 a piece

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cooking stuff and selling the resulting meals will also significantly increase the rupee take from common food supplies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I randomly found a bunch of rupees under rocks at a Bokgoblin camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I randomly found a bunch of rupees under rocks at a Bokgoblin camp.

I found a load smashing the black rocks on side of mountains with my hammer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Kirby wrote: »
    As somebody who played Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword without dying a single time, the damage the enemies do is quite refreshing. I think this, coupled with the fact that I've only upgraded stamina three times and not hearts has led to multiple deaths. I've falled down a mountain once, drowned about 10 times, and been killed in combat another 10 or so times.

Very un Zelda like. There is sh*t in this that one shots you. Almost souls-esque! :D

The Ganondorf amiibo doubles the damage taken if you're feeling brave :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    As somebody who played Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword without dying a single time, the damage the enemies do is quite refreshing. I think this, coupled with the fact that I've only upgraded stamina three times and not hearts has led to multiple deaths. I've falled down a mountain once, drowned about 10 times, and been killed in combat another 10 or so times.

Very un Zelda like. There is sh*t in this that one shots you. Almost souls-esque! :D

Had great fun taking on the stone Talos in the beginning area :) I thought Horizon was good with some actual decent combat in an open world game but Zelda just blows that away with how you can use the world to your advantage.

Anyone know can you use more than one wolf amiibo to make a pack, would be a nice easter egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The_B_Man wrote: »

Also, I haven't checked but can two people have different save games side by side? I need this at the moment.

There's a button you can press to switch user on Switch before resuming the game, or if launching it will ask you who's playing. You need 2+ users set up. They don't need to have an associated NNID or whatever the new one is.

With WiiU, if you're stuck you could put save data on a memory key. I could be wrong but I think usb-attached storage trumps onboard if save data exists on both for a single game (and of I am wrong just use 2 memory keys). Note, you would also need 2 copies of patch data.
    OK not much of a spoiler but there's a skull shaped cave just down from the ruined church at the start. Guard tower just outside. My daughter came upon it and got slaughtered, threw the controller to me and gave me a 'help me daddy!' Look. No problem. I've done this sort of thing before.

I restart on a rise just over the cave. She had a bow so I charge at the tower and take out the guard, but not before he sounds off his horn. And the cave mouth is behind me. The last thing I see is a huge blue fecker swinging a club. What the hell kind of tutorial is this?

Back on the rise. This time i sneak until i can just see the guard. I aim a little over the guards head to compensate for distance, booyah! Next I sneak to the mouth of the cave and scope it out. At least 3 guys, better thin the herd. There are explosive barrels in the cave
    - I shoot one but nothing happens and the bokoblins hear it. I shoot another and no results but the Bokoblins start coming towards the door. A headshot takes out one, then I stand to one side as they charge out and take out #2. And that's when the big blue fecker rushes me, deflects my reflexive swing with his shield and hits me. I have apples, I'll fix that lat....what the hell? I'm dead??? How can I be dead?

I give my daughter a reassuring nod. Let's go again. Guard - boom. Now, what would Solid Snake do? Christ, I don't know, that gamecube game was never in the shops. Wait! Look at that light in the eye of the skull. Look above it - a rope! I shoot out the rope, drop the flaming torch right down onto the barrels and the whole place goes up. I walk away towards camera for effect - I'm going back I'm a sec for the loot. 'Daddy!' Says my daughter. I turn to tell her no o e jirts y little girl but she's not looking at me, she's looking at the screen. Big blue is still alive, and now his club is on fire. Smack! Game over.

I look at her. She looks at me. "Go to bed. Daddy's busy"

I love this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    Scoping out Bokoblin camps and murdering them is just too much fun. But those other yokes have such an outrageously long line of sight. Any time I go within half a map of them the danger music strikes up and I'm sprinting for a tree or wall...

I find crouching to be good way to get close, then hide behind a tree and snipe them with arrows. Or get up high and lob a bomb at them. :D
    It was from before
    he revealed his identity. Just after getting the first 4 orbs. Seems to be one of a few ways to get it. Another is making him some spicy fish recipe. Apparently (reading this elsewhere, haven't tried it) if you're post-paraglider, if you go back to his log cabin there will be a chest in it with the warm doublet. Failing that,it can be bought in Hateno Village.

Excellent thank you. Went back to the starting area and found it in his cabin. Look much more like Link now and no need for spicy dinners to protect again the cold. :cool:

The freedom to solve problems in different ways is the highlight so far for me,
    korok leaf and that raft to find some goodies behind the waterfall
    was cool.

It would be nice to be able to assign food shortcuts to the d-pad, bit annoying having to go into the menu to heal up, usually during a fight too.

Being able to save anywhere is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Was just up at Owa Daim gettin my "time thing" (again, coz of save game problems) and rather than hitting that boulder outside into the oblivion, I shot it back into the centre of the map for the craic. When it went flying I went to the edge of the cliff to see where it went. I notice some movement. It was the old man. The boulder had landed on him. I nearly kiled him!! What a way that would have changed the story...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Banjo wrote: »
    There's a button you can press to switch user on Switch before resuming the game, or if launching it will ask you who's playing. You need 2+ users set up. They don't need to have an associated NNID or whatever the new one is.

With WiiU, if you're stuck you could put save data on a memory key. I could be wrong but I think usb-attached storage trumps onboard if save data exists on both for a single game (and of I am wrong just use 2 memory keys). Note, you would also need 2 copies of patch data.
    OK not much of a spoiler but there's a skull shaped cave just down from the ruined church at the start. Guard tower just outside. My daughter came upon it and got slaughtered, threw the controller to me and gave me a 'help me daddy!' Look. No problem. I've done this sort of thing before.

I restart on a rise just over the cave. She had a bow so I charge at the tower and take out the guard, but not before he sounds off his horn. And the cave mouth is behind me. The last thing I see is a huge blue fecker swinging a club. What the hell kind of tutorial is this?

Back on the rise. This time i sneak until i can just see the guard. I aim a little over the guards head to compensate for distance, booyah! Next I sneak to the mouth of the cave and scope it out. At least 3 guys, better thin the herd. There are explosive barrels in the cave
    - I shoot one but nothing happens and the bokoblins hear it. I shoot another and no results but the Bokoblins start coming towards the door. A headshot takes out one, then I stand to one side as they charge out and take out #2. And that's when the big blue fecker rushes me, deflects my reflexive swing with his shield and hits me. I have apples, I'll fix that lat....what the hell? I'm dead??? How can I be dead?

I give my daughter a reassuring nod. Let's go again. Guard - boom. Now, what would Solid Snake do? Christ, I don't know, that gamecube game was never in the shops. Wait! Look at that light in the eye of the skull. Look above it - a rope! I shoot out the rope, drop the flaming torch right down onto the barrels and the whole place goes up. I walk away towards camera for effect - I'm going back I'm a sec for the loot. 'Daddy!' Says my daughter. I turn to tell her no o e jirts y little girl but she's not looking at me, she's looking at the screen. Big blue is still alive, and now his club is on fire. Smack! Game over.

I look at her. She looks at me. "Go to bed. Daddy's busy"

I love this game.

I wish you were my dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Was just up at
    Owa Daim gettin my "time thing" (again, coz of save game problems) and rather than hitting that boulder outside into the oblivion, I shot it back into the centre of the map for the craic. When it went flying I went to the edge of the cliff to see where it went. I notice some movement. It was the old man. The boulder had landed on his gaf. I nearly kiled him!!
    I've a photo of the boulder at his campfire but boards says its too big to upload. :(
    What a way that would have changed the story...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

This is a big thread so forgive me if its been mentioned but I'm a bit stuck. I need to get the 4 orbs to get the paraglider but I can't get to the shrine where the last one is, seems to be on an locked area of the map or something. I'd post a screenshot if I knew how to get it off my switch and onto my computer!

The shrine's I've done are Oman Au,Keh Namut and Owa Daim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

superg wrote: »
    This is a big thread so forgive me if its been mentioned but I'm a bit stuck. I need to get the 4 orbs to get the paraglider but I can't get to the shrine where the last one is, seems to be on an locked area of the map or something. I'd post a screenshot if I knew how to get it off my switch and onto my computer!

The shrine's I've done are Oman Au,Keh Namut and Owa Daim.
    It's on east of of the plateau. It's worth getting to a high spot where you can see it and pin it on the map with the Sheika slate. It's a small maze of ruins with a few Gaurdians that kill with one shot They have to lock on to you sa just stay moving and find spots to hide from them. The entrance is blocked a boulder you can blow with a bomb arrow or you can just climb over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ah I see it now, the one I was looking at is the wrong one and obviously meant for later in the game. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Really enjoying the game so far. It seems to have taken the good aspects from so many different modern games and combined them all together with typical Nintendo polish.

It definitely succeeds in capturing the older Zelda Magic of LTTP & OOT.

I am really curious to know more about the extent of Monolith Soft's involvement. You can clearly see how much BOTW was influenced by Xenoblade Chronicles X's amazing open world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ugh, i just read how to obtain epona, bit crappy how they done that :(

For anybody interested you need to
    purchase an amiibo figurine, and theres some code on it which gives you epona in game

Not sure why i bothered spoiler tagging that, just in case :confused::P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just starting my 8th shrine. Put in a good few hours with WiiU gamepad and headphones while wife watched TV. It really is epic the scale is breathtaking so much to do and so many distractions. Making your way to next shrine in the distance sure may as well try and scale that mountain while I'm passing by! Usually something worth while at the top. So cool seems to be multiple ways of completing some tasks.
    Read the Old Mans Diary so made the Spiced Meat and Seafood Fry to get the Warm Tunic from him so did'd need to use food or torches in the snow.

Got my first horse. Sold a good few bits so had some rupees when I stumbled across my first Great Fairy fountain who enhanced some some of my clothes including a bandana that increases climbing speed. Found guy who enhances your inventory capacity in exchange for korak seeds so it's getting a little easier and faster to get around

Jebus them amiibos always were serious business, god damn where'd I put that smash bros link.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How d'you use amiibos with the Switch? I got a Link one ages ago, never bothered opening it. It's a Smash Bros one. Does it do anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    How d'you use amiibos with the Switch? I got a Link one ages ago, never bothered opening it. It's a Smash Bros one. Does it do anything?

if its this one, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-No-5-amiibo-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00N8PBQDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488717779&sr=8-1&keywords=link+amiibo+no+5

i think thats the one for
    Epona

No idea how to use it for the switch, heck no idea how on the wiiu either, maybe the camera? does the switch have a camera?

Advertisement