Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Cleared the elephant Divine Beast, tough business but satisfying. I was hoping they'd throw in a little boss fight at the end
    and they did. Cheesed him a bit in the second half though. Thankful that the rain stopped at that stage.

Went West for a bit as well to see the desert and scoped out the camel Divine Beast. Caught a glimpse of
    the Gerudo city as well
    but that will have to wait until later as right now I have a lot of Korok seeds to trade in.

I want to go Shrine hunting as well as, with only 5 hearts and two stamina expansions, I usually have to take riskier paths to goals and do a lot of sniping and sneaking instead of outright combat as I just don't have the stats to survive.

The Moblins are terrifying but the Lizalfos are my favourite enemy so far. Strategy and the upgraded
    bombs take them out pretty handily. Having a Phrenic bow with the zoom function made the trip into Zora Kingdom a lot easier with an unbroken series of headshot :)

Guardians are still terrifying though and static ones keep me from the Central Tower. Did find out during one foray to the tower that the
    Guardian shields can deflect their blasts back of them
    but need pinpoint accuracy in the act. Might upgrade my stamina a bit more and jump up the tower :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any of the playing on Wii u? How are ye finding it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Rhyme wrote: »
    Cleared the elephant Divine Beast, tough business but satisfying. I was hoping they'd throw in a little boss fight at the end
    and they did. Cheesed him a bit in the second half though. Thankful that the rain stopped at that stage.
    Ran out of arrows doing that bit, so had to retreat to retry when I'm better stocked. Was enjoying it though!
    Guardians are still terrifying though and static ones keep me from the Central Tower. Did find out during one foray to the tower that the
    Guardian shields can deflect their blasts back of them
    but need pinpoint accuracy in the act. Might upgrade my stamina a bit more and jump up the tower :)

Managed to do that bit you've spoilered on one of the stationary ones, worked really well:
    Parry with the shield as soon as you see the flash of blue from the guardian's eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Absolutely outstanding. 9-10 hours in, and I'm feeling that it's the best Zelda yet.
    Mechanics and everything are great but they get the tone exactly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

If this had been released 3/4 years ago might it have saved the Wii U?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Yup. It looks spectacular - the amazing colour depth and clarity in particular wasn't something I was expecting (maybe due to the hazy style of the trailers, which was all I watched in advance to avoid spoilers).

I've only played 3 hours which have mostly been taken up with running around aimlessly and getting to grips with the use-every-single-button-on-the-controller controls (which I am surprisingly rusty at, having been used to the motion controls of the 2 Wii Zeldas).

The rest of the 3 hours has been spent laughing at my own ineptitude (It seems I am in fact playing Link Death Simulator 2017). So far I have died by:

Falling off tower
    Falling off cliff
    Falling of edge of plateau
    Drowning
    Hypothermia
    Being one-shotted by a particularly angry Bokoblin with a club
    Peppering with arrows
    Setting myself on fire
    Lazering by guardian
    Self-detonation
    Dropped metal door on myself
    Trapped in quicksand

So very different to the essentially death-free opening to Skyward Sword. I feel like I should compile these all for posterity.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Ran out of arrows doing that bit, so had to retreat to retry when I'm better stocked. Was enjoying it though!
    I missed a lot until I realised that if you're shooting across it's flank, you have to account for the drop of the arrow. Sidon (sp?) takes you to both waterfalls so if you choose the one closest to the orb, it makes the shot easier.
    Managed to do that bit you've spoilered on one of the stationary ones, worked really well:
    Parry with the shield as soon as you see the flash of blue from the guardian's eye!

I'll have to give that a try. Might see if I can come at them in such a way that only one can hit at a time, pick them off one by one. I can forget about the moving one, still haven't tamed a horse so it'd just ride over me at this stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sweetie wrote: »
    If this had been released 3/4 years ago might it have saved the Wii U?

No. Lack of 3rd party support brought about the early death of the Wii-U imo.

@Sephiroth_dude: I'm not as gushing in my praise as others but it's a damn fine game for sure. If you have a Wii-U then definitely pick it up.

I missed a lot until I realised that if you're shooting across it's flank, you have to account for the drop of the arrow. Sidon (sp?) takes you to both waterfalls so if you choose the one closest to the orb, it makes the shot easier.
    Ah, that part I had no issue with:
    Taking out the orbs took me 4 shock arrows, and that was it. Taking out the ice blocks/spiked balls used too many of my regular arrows, so I ran out of arrows on the boss bit, that I won't name here!
    I'll have to give that a try. Might see if I can come at them in such a way that only one can hit at a time, pick them off one by one. I can forget about the moving one, still haven't tamed a horse so it'd just ride over me at this stage.
    If it's the ones at the central tower,
    position yourself that only one of them can see you, with the rubble acting as a shield behind you.
    I managed to climb the tower before I learned you could parry their beams, but died several times trying to get away again! Ended up just warping away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

No issues at all and it looks amazing, if you're in a dilema and wondering whether to get it for your WiiU or splash out on the switch. I'd get the wiiu, wait until the switch has more games at least, heck the word on the street is the wii u version runs the best.

Also for anybody hoping to obtain the master sword asap,
    be warned you need to have 13 hearts to pull it from the stone, so maybe dont pump too much into stamina if you wanna get it sooner than later, you can get to the sword at pretty much anypoint in the game.
    This isnt a story spoiler just the requirements, which some may want to figure out for themselves, so tagging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Anyone else come across Lynel yet...that is one bad mofo!!

If it's the ones at the central tower,
    position yourself that only one of them can see you, with the rubble acting as a shield behind you.
    I managed to climb the tower before I learned you could parry their beams, but died several times trying to get away again! Ended up just warping away!

Warping away is a handy tool, I'm glad I visit every shrine I can so I can warp to tons of places to try again from a different direction.

I had to use it a lot when going through the ruins alongside Lanayru gorge with all the Lizalfos in the water. Kept on falling into the water and drowning. Warp to the shrine
    behind the waterfall
    and try again :)
    EDit wrote:

Run away.
    Sneak around to get the arrows (five more at the top of the hill) and get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really like the font used for the Game Over screen, so I choose to see it as often as possible.

Yep, that's the real reason I see it so often.

Still getting used to the buttons. Not used to Link jumping using a button and the number of times I go to jump over a gap, I withdraw my weapon while plunging to my death.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Run away.
    Sneak around to get the arrows (five more at the top of the hill) and get away.

Yeah, I realised that after dying about 10 times 😁

EDit wrote: »
    Yeah, I realised that after dying about 10 times 😁

I encountered one while wandering into a valley on the East side of the map (near where the
    Rito sings the song about the Throne of Bone
    ). Thought it was a Bokoblin on a pig so ran in with an arrow drawn. Very quickly ran away, climbed a mountain while being pelted with his electric mortar thing and cowered in a ravine before warping home to cry ;_;

EDit wrote: »

Tactic I tried:
    I had some fun trying to tackle him with bombs, playing hide and seek around rocks, dropping a bomb, staying on the opposite side, detonating it when he came near it... till he shot a shock arrow into the air, one shotting me when it landed in the water near me...

Tried that several times, then just snuck around gathering up the arrows!

I actually killed Lynel, treated him like a boss. i had 4 or 5 hearts, and he nearly one shot me every hit, leaves me with like a half or 1/4 of a heart. i went through about 5 weapons to kill him.. and a feast that could feed a hall of vikings..

He didnt drop a heart for me the cheap git :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Mine has dispatched too, with tomorrow as delivery date. Tracking number for An Post, that isn't recognised yet.

Same here ,ill believe it when i see it though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I killed one of them. I used the flurry a lot. I locked on and did backflips and after 2-3 I got a flurry option. That took about 5% off him. It was a tough battle, but got through it! I forgot to take a photo though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I think stamina in this Zelda is more important than hearts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

safetyboy wrote: »
    I think stamina in this Zelda is more important than hearts.

Ugh. It killed me having to choose not to take a heart. Bloody killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye, I have 4 hearts now and kinda regret choosing the extra heart over the stamina.
    I can barely climb or swim any distance at all! Next time I'm defo choosing stamina!

Auh man, i thought i was onto an awesome find earlier, i've been wandering around all morning exploring, bumped into a skele on top of a skele horse, killed the skele rider and was able to mount the skele horse. I'm thinking, amazing, best horse ever! so i start riding back to the new horse stable i found on my travels, nearly there and the horse just stops, keels over and dies :(

Poor lil fella, he had 3 whip cracks to :pac:

You get a traditional full heart container for every Divine Beast completed as well and apparently there's a way to exchange hearts for stamina for a small cost* later in the game so don't feel committed to one course or another.

Being able to pause to replenish stamina is handy, same for hearts but getting one-shotted can't be avoided without hearts. I've got two extra stamina slots but am going to go for one more before committing to hearts for the time being. Especially as
    you need a certain amount of hearts (10-13 or so) to retrieve the Master Sword later on.

*apparently you 'sell' a heart/stamina bar and then either buy it or the other back for an inflated price, thus 'exchanging'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The amount of times I've been creeping up on guardians and I whistle, still getting used to controls!

One thing that's fairly off putting, probably as I've been on PS the last few years is pressing circle to accept stuff on the Switch dashboard, reminds me of PS1 days... :)

Obviously by circle I mean the Switch equivalent, I forget what button it is on joycons, A?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Fieldog wrote: »
    The amount of times I've been creeping up on guardians and I whistle, still getting used to controls!

One thing that's fairly off putting, probably as I've been on PS the last few years is pressing circle to accept stuff on the Switch dashboard, reminds me of PS1 days... :)

Obviously by circle I mean the Switch equivalent, I forget what button it is on joycons, A?

Yeah the Japanese always have that O for yes X for cancel while western games are opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye, I have 4 hearts now and kinda regret choosing the extra heart over the stamina.
    I can barely climb or swim any distance at all! Next time I'm defo choosing stamina!

It doesn't take to long the get another 4 spirit orbs to get another stamina bar
    You should find the Climbers Bandana early enough which really helps with climbing speed
    Picking your route when climbing is very important to shorten the climb and find spots to rest. Even if you do slip you can often stop yourself further up than where you started.
    Except when it starts raining when you nearly at the top of a of a Everest sized mountain
    Well worth trying climbing the most inaccessible peaks while your passing nearly always something up there.

Ryath wrote: »
    It doesn't take to long the get another 4 spirit orbs to get another stamina bar
    You should find the Climbers Bandana early enough which really helps with climbing speed
    Picking your route when climbing is very important to shorten the climb and find spots to rest. Even if you do slip you can often stop yourself further up than where you started.
    Except when it starts raining when you nearly at the top of a of a Everest sized mountain
    Well worth trying climbing the most inaccessible peaks while your passing nearly always something up there.

There's one across the river from the horse stable on the way to Kakariko Village. Cross over where the Bokoblins have a little camp, up a rise and past the giant skeleton (I'm certain that it'll come alive at some point) and into the gulley beyond with a waterfall at the end. It's a hard climb but halfway up the right-hand side there is a cave you can bomb open for a pile of supplies. I tried to go higher but didn't have the stamina for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ryath wrote: »

I've spent most of my time actually exploring, but all I'm finding are basic weapons. Probably why I've still only got the 4 hearts and not much else! Actually, because I've only the 4 hearts, the best thing I've found have been the
    fairies (is that a spoiler?)
    , so when I get insta-killed out in the field, I get revived and get straight back up! Otherwise the bigger enemies would have been impossible!
    But ye, from now on I'm focusing on stamina upgrades. I've a recipe there that apparently gives 11 temporary hearts, which I can use when fighting a big enemy if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

There's one across the river from the horse stable on the way to Kakariko Village. Cross over where the Bokoblins have a little camp, up a rise and past the giant skeleton (I'm certain that it'll come alive at some point) and into the gulley beyond with a waterfall at the end. It's a hard climb but halfway up the right-hand side there is a cave you can bomb open for a pile of supplies. I tried to go higher but didn't have the stamina for it.

That little cave is actually the goal for a side quest. SPOILER:
    There's two guys in the stable talking about Misco's treasure with a simple clue about the location of the cave.

And the Skeleton guy does come alive. I was wandering through the woods sneaking up on a bear and all of a sudden music starts and the bear hightails it out of there. I was pretty unprepared so legged it myself, when I came back he was motionless again - probably needs to be a certain time of the day or something - can't remember if it was day or night though!

Advertisement