Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Rhyme wrote: »
    There's one across the river from the horse stable on the way to Kakariko Village. Cross over where the Bokoblins have a little camp, up a rise and past the giant skeleton (I'm certain that it'll come alive at some point) and into the gulley beyond with a waterfall at the end. It's a hard climb but halfway up the right-hand side there is a cave you can bomb open for a pile of supplies. I tried to go higher but didn't have the stamina for it.

Don't think I went up it pushed onto Kakariko Village at that point will go back and check.
    Any one meet the massive Blue Hinox, bokoblin king on suspension bridge just west of Plateau took several goes to take him down I was killed by being swiped by hand, clapped between his hands, stamped on, sat on, he's fallen on top of me, knocked of edge. Tip make sure you have some space in your inventory to take the weapons from his neck. After finally beating him I went to shrine at the bottom of ravine Trial of Strength fighting a Guardian Stalker probably should be little stronger than 4 hearts and better weapons to take him. Still nearly had him one more hit when he started firing that one shot tracker lazer probbaly should have just ran at him rather than trying to dodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

gouche wrote: »
    That little cave is actually the goal for a side quest. SPOILER:
    There's two guys in the stable talking about Misco's treasure with a simple clue about the location of the cave.

And the Skeleton guy does come alive. I was wandering through the woods sneaking up on a bear and all of a sudden music starts and the bear hightails it out of there. I was pretty unprepared so legged it myself, when I came back he was motionless again - probably needs to be a certain time of the day or something - can't remember if it was day or night though!

Damn, I'll have to go back and rub it in their faces :)

Might be a Blood Moon event or a full moon or something. He's
    Stalox
    or something like that.

Found one of those
    Hinox
    guys just over the ravine at the base of the Zora dam, avoided him as it was raining and i'd have a hard time manoeuvring. Now that the rain is stopped, might go back and give him a shot. Any tactics?
    Shoot in eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wii U copy from Amazon has been accepted by the Dublin mail centre, so may get it tomorrow after all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Found one of those
    Hinox
    guys just over the ravine at the base of the Zora dam, avoided him as it was raining and i'd have a hard time manoeuvring. Now that the rain is stopped, might go back and give him a shot. Any tactics?
    Shoot in eye?
    Pretty much keep your distance z lock a dodge his attacks and shoot while he's leaning forward. He'll fall back and you can charge in on him. You can also take the weapons from his necklace when he's down he has a pretty goody scimiter sword lvl25 . You can also do sideways jump and flurry attack. You can also sneak in when he's asleep and get a few digs in but be carefull when he jumps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Star Lord wrote: »
    Wii U copy from Amazon has been accepted by the Dublin mail centre, so may get it tomorrow after all! :D

Ya, fingers crossed. Got there at 15:47 so I think there's a good chance that it will. Woohoo! :D

Use this site then with the tracking number to see what An Post are at maybe.

https://track.anpost.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Playing the Wii U version and love it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Can't believe it's taken me hours to happen across shield
    surfing. great fun!
    Also, anybody made it to Eventide yet?
    Ended up there after taking a slight detour on my way to Hateno and was really surprised by the turn it took!
    Didn't manage to complete it but really wasn't expecting what happened when i landed there. Amazing idea for a trial. The game never stops giving!
    I've only uncovered about a 3rd of the full map and even still it's almost too much to take in.
    Makings of a masterpiece so far and a perfect last hurrah for the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD'S MAP WAS INSPIRED BY KYOTO

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275499-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-s-map-was-inspired-by-kyo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Has anyone come across
    that giant electric dragon? Came across it during a thunderstorm. It was amazing looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

chrislad wrote: »
    Has anyone come across
    that giant electric dragon? Came across it during a thunderstorm. It was amazing looking.

Yup,
    thats Faron and where the area gets the name, there is another fire dragon in the north west, he ducked down behind a cliff before I could snap a pic. Probably an ice dragon too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Could easily spend hours and hours at a time playing this. There's almost always something worthwhile around the corner. The Witness is the only other game I've played that felt so dense with substantial secrets and curiosities. Love how the world is dotted with casual little details - a rock circle here, a prominent tree there - that typically will reward the player who decides to examine them a bit.

I've played a good few open world games over the years, but what I don't think any has ever come near the sense of awe-inspiring scale this one manages. For a game so loaded with fantastical details and ideas, there's something endearingly rugged about the world itself - plenty of artistic licence applied, but there's a wonderful balance achieved between the clearly 'designed' spaces and contrasting parts that feel credibly 'natural'. Like when you scale a mountain, you kinda feel like you're making your own path up the slopes as opposed to following a breadcrumb trail. Of course, the summit will usually offer up a pre-determined prize for your efforts! Even when the game explicitly guides you or draws your attention, it does so with visual cues that make the routes feel more like suggestions and discoveries than pre-made corridors.

When I visited New Zealand a couple of years ago, the environments were awe-inspiring - these overwhelmingly large spaces that felt deserved of the description 'epic'. I've spent some time visiting the virtual worlds of Skyrim, Bionis, Northern Kingdoms and a couple of others, the latter of which particularly has plenty going for it. But I think Breath of the Wild is the first time a game has really captured that sense of scale I felt in NZ, and really and truly delivers on the promise of being able to go anywhere you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Anyone know how to use flint to create a fire? I can hold the item but can't figure out what to do next. If I take a weapon the flint gets put away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Struggling with
    Waterblight Ganon, not sure I have enough kit, hearts and stamina, can get him to phase 2 easy enough but really struggle to put him away hitting him in the eye while trying not to waste all my limited supply or arrows shooting the ice blocks is tough, will try some more tomorrow but may have to ditch it and come back. Seen some vids of people killing it and they have ridic gear and hearts compared to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Climbing mountains in Zelda like

Inquitus wrote: »
    Struggling with
    Waterblight Ganon, not sure I have enough kit, hearts and stamina, can get him to phase 2 easy enough but really struggle to put him away hitting him in the eye while trying not to waste all my limited supply or arrows shooting the ice blocks is tough, will try some more tomorrow but may have to ditch it and come back. Seen some vids of people killing it and they have ridic gear and hearts compared to me :(

You do know you can use the Sheikah Slate to destroy ice blocks too? People don't seem to realise this. I saw someone else running out of arrows getting into that part but there's no need to waste arrows on ice blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Anyone know how to use flint to create a fire? I can hold the item but can't figure out what to do next. If I take a weapon the flint gets put away.

Hold the flint, press A to drop it by some wood/extinguished fire and then hit it with a metal weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I feel like Hyrule is in Ireland, its always bleedin raining!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

What seems like hours climbing a peak, at the lip of the summit .... and it rains.

I have no idea where to go, what to do and honestly couldn't care less. This is so much fun and the fact that you can be one shotted in any battle adds that tactical nousse to the fights.

I do miss the sprawling dungeons of old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Don't want to spoil anything for who hasn't gone past the Dueling Peaks.
    Tamed first horse, promptly got horse stuck on the side of a mountain. You will be missed noble steed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bit the bullet yesterday. Bought the switch & of course zelda. Excellent game so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
    Mine has dispatched too, with tomorrow as delivery date. Tracking number for An Post, that isn't recognised yet.
    geotrig wrote: »
    Same here ,ill believe it when i see it though :pac:

i eat my words an post delivered this morning :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played it for an hour in bed this morning. The shrines are very clever.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Struggling with
    If you dive into the water and hide behind one of the platforms, the spinning of the ice-blocks causes them to come in contact with the platform and shatter giving you enough time to climb up and hit him with an arrow. Also, if you hit him with an arrow while there are ice blocks on-screen, they shatter.

It doesn't take all that long, especially with a good bow and a good shot :) The hitbox for the eye is bigger than you think as well.

As for the big spear attack, all you can do is jump away at the last second I believe. Not sure if an expertly-timed Guardian Shield deflection would work :/

I beat him with four hearts, the equipment I acquired while inside Ruta and a few miscellaneous bows and things.
    You do know you can use the Sheikah Slate to destroy ice blocks too? People don't seem to realise this. I saw someone else running out of arrows getting into that part but there's no need to waste arrows on ice blocks.

How do you do this? I'm past the two bosses who use ice blocks but I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

SgtBob wrote: »
    Don't want to spoil anything for who hasn't gone past the Dueling Peaks.
    Tamed first horse, promptly got horse stuck on the side of a mountain. You will be missed noble steed.

What I did was
    I got my second horse from the stables and they said they would take care of the other one. So they must magically transport them. this was after I teleported and the horse didn't teleport with me.
    Oh and I find you can navigate mountains with them if you hold L2 while moving

How do you do this? I'm past the two bosses who use ice blocks but I'm curious.

Just activate the Ice power. If you move the cursor over an ice block, the icon will change from freeze to shatter.

nix wrote: »
    I feel like Hyrule is in Ireland, its always bleedin raining!!! :mad:

I know! Screw the climbers hat, I want the climbers grippy gloves!

Just activate the Ice power. If you move the cursor over an ice block, the icon will change from freeze to shatter.

That makes perfect, logical sense. They even have the same symbols on their sides as both are Sheikah technology. Feel pretty stupid. Outside of shrines, my rune usage is limited to bombs and occasionally using magnesis to throw metal stuff around (snuck up on a Bokoblin camp on the banks of the lake South of
    The Lost Woods
    by moving a metal block in front of me. Felt like Solid Snake in his cardboard box).

And speaking of
    The Lost Woods, journeyed in there last night, followed the wind to the Korok Forest and met a very surly Deku Tree. Did the trials, explored a bit and then went to Akkala ancient tech lab. There is some absolutely mental stuff out in the water North of there. I won't even put it in spoiler tags it's too nuts.

Want to tackle the tower in that region tonight, the one on top of the coliseum/castle thing with the Guardian Drone Flyers hovering around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wii U version just delivered to me!

An Post tracking said "Delivered" since 7:29 this morning, but knew the post NEVER arrives that early!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That makes perfect, logical sense. They even have the same symbols on their sides as both are Sheikah technology. Feel pretty stupid. Outside of shrines, my rune usage is limited to bombs and occasionally using magnesis to throw metal stuff around (snuck up on a Bokoblin camp on the banks of the lake South of
    The Lost Woods
    by moving a metal block in front of me. Felt like Solid Snake in his cardboard box).

And speaking of
    The Lost Woods, journeyed in there last night, followed the wind to the Korok Forest and met a very surly Deku Tree. Did the trials, explored a bit and then went to Akkala ancient tech lab. There is some absolutely mental stuff out in the water North of there. I won't even put it in spoiler tags it's too nuts.

Want to tackle the tower in that region tonight, the one on top of the coliseum/castle thing with the Guardian Drone Flyers hovering around it.

You can also do a Solid Snake if you find any big barrels lying about. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Took my first tentative steps off the plateau last night, was very proud of my
    (it's only a spoiler for those how just got their WiiU copy but still) first Paraglider landing - straighter from gliding to double-handed claymore slam on a sleeping moblin's head! Got my first horse - I'm assuming he's not "mine" since I don't have a saddle or anything, but he pretty obediently sticks around while I run off to ethnically cleanse Bokoblin camps, possibly because he saw what I did to his previous owner, their family and every bokoblin they ever cared about - and ended up having to do a lot of doubling back in order to keep him rather than take a swimming shortcut across a river. First rupee! A big purple one floating down the river in a chest, was able to rescue it with Ice Platforms. Murdered several times by electric bats. They're lethal! Found out about the "perfect dodge" entirely by accident. Is that "Blood Moon" video a triggered event that everyone gets or have I walked into some bad juju...
    Is there a way to craft arrows? I keep running out and I'm not finding them with the same frequency I did up on the plateau.

Advertisement