Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ah man, was really hoping you'd get your copy today too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

sligeach wrote: »
    So a package arrived from Amazon this morning. Thought that's great, it's Zelda, sent Express Post as it was delayed in being sent on Thursday. I presumed the 2 games would be sent together, Zelda and SteamWorld Collection. But no it's just 1 game, so assumed it had to be Zelda, it's the new game, caused all the fuss. But as I'm opening it, I'm thinking surely not, they wouldn't do this.
    C6Uxy4UXQAA2TF5.jpg:small

They did. :mad: So this got Express Post while Zelda is in the snail mail. This order just keeps getting better. The game that I ordered alongside Zelda back in January, that they kept until now despite being available back then, so that they could save on postage by packing them together, now gets sent Express Post on its own. You bunch of ******* morons. The wait continues.

****e craic altogether. It'll be all the sweeter when you get your hands on it!

I'm glad I cancelled my amazon order. Complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Rhyme wrote: »
    As far as I know those thorns only vanish after the shrine/tower has been cleared. Some can be climbed around and some glided over. I tried bombing the thorns of a shrine in the middle of a small lake with no effect. Fire arrows etc, no luck. Will have to return to that shrine later :/

i just use the ice block with any of them in water , and jump over them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Finally got it! One hour in and yes, already it seems absolutely fantastic. Hugely impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I queued up for the switch at the midnight launch in Smyths. It was pretty cool chatting to some other gamers while we waited in the rain. I got home and fired it up and so far im absolutely delighted with the purchase.

As a long time Zelda fan i had honestly lost the hope of ever being as captivated and joyous as i was when playing Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword didnt do it for me at all. I pinned it down to being a 30 year old man and that perhaps i had just out grown Zelda. But boy was i wrong. Breath of the Wild has rekindled that love for Zelda in me once again. Suffice to say im treating BotW as if it were a aged bottle of whiskey. Im savoring every moment and taking my time. Im about 20 hours into it and ive yet to meet one main character, im just exploring and im having a ball doing it. Also im pacing myself im not playing it everyday even though i want to im gonna milk this experience for everything its got!

This amazing return to form for Zelda has me super hyped about Super Mario Odyssey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

steve_ wrote: »
    I queued up for the switch at the midnight launch in Smyths. It was pretty cool chatting to some other gamers while we waited in the rain. I got home and fired it up and so far im absolutely delighted with the purchase.

As a long time Zelda fan i had honestly lost the hope of ever being as captivated and joyous as i was when playing Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword didnt do it for me at all. I pinned it down to being a 30 year old man and that perhaps i had just out grown Zelda. But boy was i wrong. Breath of the Wild has rekindled that love for Zelda in me once again. Suffice to say im treating BotW as if it were a aged bottle of whiskey. Im savoring every moment and taking my time. Im about 20 hours into it and ive yet to meet one main character, im just exploring and im having a ball doing it. Also im pacing myself im not playing it everyday even though i want to im gonna milk this experience for everything its got!

This amazing return to form for Zelda has me super hyped about Super Mario Odyssey
    Interesting, I'm the same with Zelda, I haven't liked any of the home console versions anywhere near as much as Ocarina of Time and I've been thinking I'm just past Zelda games. The hype has caught my attention though and I've considered picking up BotW.
    Windwaker saw me give up when I had to collect a ton of triforce pieces and Twilight princess felt a bit dull and too long.

eyerer wrote: »
    Interesting, I'm the same with Zelda, I haven't liked any of the home console versions anywhere near as much as Ocarina of Time and I've been thinking I'm just past Zelda games. The hype has caught my attention though and I've considered picking up BotW.
    Windwaker saw me give up when I had to collect a ton of triforce pieces and Twilight princess felt a bit dull and too long.

I would certainly say that if you loved Ocarina of Time then you'll love BotW. It just gives me all those good vibes i got with OOT. Obviously its a big departure in terms of gameplay and mechanics but it still feels like Zelda. I don't like boarding the hype trains too early but now that i've had the time to play and experience BotW, personally i think the hype is fully justified.

The game is bloody massive, the map is huge and it blows my tiny mind that i can sit in bed with a handheld device and experience an untainted gaming experience on this scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Sparko

VinLieger wrote: »
    Fire arrows, if you have none you can start a fire and light some normal arrows on fire.

If you dont know how to start a fire
    drop some wood on the ground, then drop some flint beside it, hit the flint with a metal weapon and it will start the fire, then just hold the bow with an arrow over it to light the arrow

The first time I did this I was blown away. So many small touches that really help to build such an amazing game world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

So a package arrived from Amazon this morning. Thought that's great, it's Zelda, sent Express Post as it was delayed in being sent on Thursday. I presumed the 2 games would be sent together, Zelda and SteamWorld Collection. But no it's just 1 game, so assumed it had to be Zelda, it's the new game, caused all the fuss. But as I'm opening it, I'm thinking surely not, they wouldn't do this.

They did. :mad: So this got Express Post while Zelda is in the snail mail. This order just keeps getting better. The game that I ordered alongside Zelda back in January, that they kept until now despite being available back then, so that they could save on postage by packing them together, now gets sent Express Post on its own. You bunch of ******* morons. The wait continues.

My captain toad treasure tracker arrived this morning too, no Zelda though :( Zelda won't be here until Monday according to their app

Sparko wrote: »
    The first time I did this I was blown away. So many small touches that really help to build such an amazing game world.

There some great little moments like that. I was on a mountain freezing my ass off and my doublet wasnt cutting it. I didnt have any meals prepared to fight of the cold so i thought i was done for. Then
    i pulled out my flame sword and boom it gave me the added heat i needed to survive, i grinned like an idiot after that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Holy **** the
    Zora
    armour.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I agree, though I was very fond of the Wind Waker, even moreso the HD remake that removed a lot of the padding. The music and the Hyrule Castle bit still give me goosebumps. Twilight Princess was so-so, and I never got past the first couple of hours of Skyward Sword (which has the dubious honour of being the only Zelda game I've not played to completion). Ocarina has gotten multiple replays, but this game is a level above that. It's the amazing result of a Dark Souls/Zelda/Shadow of the Colossus threeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nice. I'm trying to figure out what console I need to play it (or what I should get) and what the damage is. There's like the Switch, the Wii and possibly the WiiU? I have no idea what's going on with Nintendo these days but this game has got me excited.

Feeling nostalgic for Mario and Mario Kart too. Maybe even a bit of Super Metroid and the like. I heard Bomberman has been released too! Some great games there.

chrislad wrote: »
    I agree, though I was very fond of the Wind Waker, even moreso the HD remake that removed a lot of the padding. The music and the Hyrule Castle bit still give me goosebumps. Twilight Princess was so-so, and I never got past the first couple of hours of Skyward Sword (which has the dubious honour of being the only Zelda game I've not played to completion). Ocarina has gotten multiple replays, but this game is a level above that. It's the amazing result of a Dark Souls/Zelda/Shadow of the Colossus threeway.

100% agree. I loved Wind Waker on the Gamecube, i didnt play the HD remake but it looked stunning. And yeah returning to Hyrule castle was an amazing experience it was on par with the return to Shadow Moses in MGS4. I was a bit worried initially about whether BotW would be a challenge for me seeing as i went in assuming Nintendo would of stuck with the tried and true formula we've become so accustomed to over the years. And ive just come off a FromSoft binge as of late playing through Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, so naturally i was thinking to myself that theres no way BotW can pose a decent challenge after that torment. But again they surprised me i went in with my old attitude only to have some Bokoblins smack the ****e out of me. Im seriously sounding like a fan boy now, but BotW is meeting and exceeding any preconceived notions i had going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Holy **** the
    Zora
    armour.

That is all.

Got it yesterday, great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

that strange move by amazon, an post delivered Zelda to me at 9am this morning. had the day off work today too, so you know how I spent the day

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

jos22 wrote: »
    that strange move by amazon, an post delivered Zelda to me at 9am this morning. had the day off work today too, so you know how I spent the day

Mine was dispatched at the same time as yours however apparently it went to the wrong An Post mail centre and so has been delayed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Still not dispatched from amazon. Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus, there are so many things I want to ask about this game, but I won't.

I'm literally just going for a wander now. Crazy sh*t keeps happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So i just finished the first
    divine beast
    and i have a question about what appears after
    the text says if i activate it i wont be able to re-enter it, is there any downsides to this? Any point in waiting to activate it along with the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

VinLieger wrote: »
    So i just finished the first
    divine beast
    and i have a question about what appears after
    the text says if i activate it i wont be able to re-enter it, is there any downsides to this? Any point in waiting to activate it along with the others?

no, its just basically giving you an opportunity to stay in the dungeon and pick stuff/chests up before you leave as you cant get back in to get them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I remember hanging around Hyrule Field in OOT and watching the sun rise but this is on a whole other level. Some serious beauty getting pushed out of the Wii U!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I need rupees. I need them fast. And smashing pots is not working out for me. What do you guys do?

Brought my horse from last night to the stable - she's mine! Lucille and I were very happy together for all of 15 seconds until I happened upon a group of wild horses right behind the stable, got kicked in the face by a blueish-coloured silver haired mare and fell in love... What followed was a long and tempestuous courtship that was not helped along by my failure to hammer the relevant button, but that (and Lucille) are in the past - hi ho Khaleesi, away!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My Wii U copy arrived today. Postman didn't do a very good job of putting it through the letter box. Anyone passing could've easily just taken it back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Banjo wrote: »
    I need rupees. I need them fast. And smashing pots is not working out for me. What do you guys do?

!

Selling minerals seems to be the way to go, ambers, rubies, sapphires, topaz etc. be warned, you may need some for crafting/upgrading items. i tend to only sell the ones i have alot of and usually leave 2 of a kind at least.

Also, all the little bits if horns and that you get from battle monlins and that in the course of adventuring really add up.

Just yesterday I was in the rags I found when I woke up. Now I have a choice of two geansaís to pick from, bejaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Banjo wrote: »

Am in the same boat myself right now
    need 10,000 for the last Great Fairy

Selling ores seems the best way, though saving my diamonds as they are worth more for other reasons.
    Also, if you have reached Goron city, met a Gerudo woman who offered more for 10 stacks of gems than regular merchants.

Otherwise, sell horns and tusks from enemies, ya grab tons at night from Stals and they only take a single hit to down.

Could try farming
    the Blupee in Kakariko, two spawn on the path to the Fairy Fountain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Could try farming
    the Blupee in Kakariko, two spawn on the path to the Fairy Fountain

Is that the
    blue glowing rabbity thing I've seen running through the woods?
    I'll start on deer and work my way up. Selling mob drops is anathema to me, but since I'm not cooking anything up they're not doing me any good in my bag and I want those Sheikah ninja clothes!

@Ol' Donnie : wait, does that mean you missed the slightly less raggedy trousers and linkesque thermal top in the tutorial area? Warp back! You're not done!

Yep, I missed them.

And I know they are there because my niece & nephew found them in the 20 minutes of so I let them play foron Sunday!

I meant to go and get them, but keep getting distracted. Jeaysus, it took me nearly four hours to trek from the second village to the place where you leave your horsey last night. It's about a five minute journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just saw this posted on zelda subreddit, its a list of all the in game extras you get when using specific amiibos, might have to pick up one or two cus I really want some of that gear specifically twilight and ocarina stuff

http://imgur.com/a/QWNvr

Advertisement