Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So close...

33237731172_7ba8da3560.jpg

You're going to love it. The game is amazing. It's all the hype and then some. I've barely made a dent in it, took a day to leave the Great Plateau(not literally a day but you know, started Friday evening, took several breaks, left last night). I'm at the point where I've done 7 Shrines and got my first horse(named it Spotty. What was I thinking?). The Shrines are cool, straight forward and simple so far but getting the chest that's out of reach in a couple of them have been clever. There's so much to see and do. The new powers are great too.

I'm using the Wii U Pro controller because ironically, given the issues over the left Joy-con, the left thumbstick on the gamepad is not accurate at all. It's got kind of drift. You'll tap in a direction and it'll keep moving even after you let go. So I'll have to get that fixed at some point.

The game has set a new pinnacle for the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Great to hear! Nice that the Wii U version holds up well too. I've been living in a cave over the last week so I'm relatively spoiler free.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After taking hours to get from the second village to my first beast i may finally face it today.
    Had to quit a shrine i couldn't figure out. Probably a simple solution.

Experienced a lot of left joy con problems. Either it wasn't moving when i pushed the stick or it would continue to move when i stopped pushing it. Also disconnected a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The GDC talk about Breath of the Wild. I was looking for this last week and said i'd post it for those interested.

Don't really like how horses work in this. In previous games when you called Epona she came. But now if you call and the horse physically can't make it from where you left it, it won't come. So doing loads on foot. Probably better for exploring though.
    Or an i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So after completing the 4 shrines at the start I just headed off without truly exploring the area. I went back and there is just a ton of stuff to discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So close...

33237731172_7ba8da3560.jpg

If it is delivered by Asendia then don't hold your breath. I'd be interested to see if they have ever actually successfully delivered a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If it is delivered by Asendia then don't hold your breath. I'd be interested to see if they have ever actually successfully delivered a package.

47466943.jpg

My copy of Zelda: BOTW was sent by Asendia. They are a bit slow alright. I got on to an Amazon customer support rep as they messed up the order and they said they'd ask Asendia to speed it up if possible. They were supposed to contact me but didn't. And I don't know if it arrived on Friday instead of Monday by sheer luck or because they listened to Amazon.

I'd say Pac1Man should definitely have it delivered tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Sarn

The trick is to 'rent' it from a bricks and mortar store and then return your Amazon copy to them. The benefit is that you get to play day one and avail of the cheaper price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

sligeach wrote: »
    My copy of Zelda: BOTW was sent by Asendia. They are a bit slow alright. I got on to an Amazon customer support rep as they messed up the order and they said they'd ask Asendia to speed it up if possible. They were supposed to contact me but didn't. And I don't know if it arrived on Friday instead of Monday by sheer luck or because they listened to Amazon.

I'd say Pac1Man should definitely have it delivered tomorrow.

I've had asendia lose the same order multiple times. Waited 6 weeks in total. Finally I freaked out, contacted amazon customer support by phone and magically they were able to send by registered express mail and I had it in 2 days.

Sarn wrote: »
    The trick is to 'rent' it from a bricks and mortar store and then return your Amazon copy to them. The benefit is that you get to play day one and avail of the cheaper price!

I was tempted to do that. I asked people here if they'd ever done that or were going to do it for this game. I didn't get any response. I've never done that myself but was curious as to if there's ever any issues. Just didn't want to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't really like how horses work in this. In previous games when you called Epona she came. But now if you call and the horse physically can't make it from where you left it, it won't come. So doing loads on foot. Probably better for exploring though.
    Or an i missing something?
    No, that's how it works. You can use z targeting to get down steep slopes that the horse otherwise balk at. Saves you leaving them behind so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I've been collecting an item for ages (
    Luminous Stone
    ) and as I was looking at my inventory today, they are all gone! I know I didn't sell them, I haven't sold from my inventory in a couple of days. I had only collected a few last night. :( Kinda want to cry now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You can swap luminous stones in
    Zora's Domain for diamonds
    - did you do that by chance? Also they just look like normal rocks during the day, only glow at night :) Would be odd for them to disappear completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

You can swap luminous stones in
    Zora's Domain for diamonds
    - did you do that by chance? Also they just look like normal rocks during the day, only glow at night :) Would be odd for them to disappear completely!

That's why I was hording them. I was about to set out to there. I don't understand it. Maybe it was a save bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Right, all memories done. I really like the way they did the story. Zelda is actually more than some two dimensional character.

Banjo wrote: »
    No, that's how it works. You can use z targeting to get down steep slopes that the horse otherwise balk at. Saves you leaving them behind so often.

Yep, i do that but if you fast travel then the house is stuck where you left it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads, this game is magnificent. Over the past 4 years I've basically just been playing Fifa and The Last of Us Multiplayer, with very few single player games gripping me. I was waiting for years for The Witness and The Last Guardian, which both felt like a chore to play. This game on the other hand has me completely hooked. Only Inside and The Witcher 3 have done this to me in recent years and I think that this game may sink its hooks in deeper than those did.

I hate stealth sections!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I hate stealth sections!
    I still have just the 3 hearts. The whole game is a stealth section!

Bagged me a Hinox! Boss-fight-tastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hoping to receive this tomorrow. Preordered from gameseek but still no sign of it. If it doesn't come this week I'll just have to buy it somewhere else (WiiU)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was waiting for years for The Witness and The Last Guardian, which both felt like a chore to play. This game on the other hand has me completely hooked. Only Inside and The Witcher 3 have done this to me in recent years and I think that this game may sink its hooks in deeper than those did.

I adored both The Witness and The Last Guardian, but even by those IMO very remarkable standards BotW is an extraordinary achievement. Just for a game of this scale to be so loaded with ideas and gameplay depth... it almost beggars belief when compared to the significantly more limited purview of games of similar size / budget. Frankly, I just think last year and this year already have been vintage ones that have made me incredibly excited about video games again... and we have a ****ing new Persona in less than a month :eek:

But on BotW specifically... one of the things I've grown to really admire the game is how it completely subverts one trope of modern sandbox games: the map. Pretty much every major open world title of recent years has been a glorified checklist - a map screen that overwhelms with icons and stuff, most of which is just the same basic things regurgitated. This is different, even though it is actually even more jam-packed with stuff than your typical Ubisoft game. Instead of telling you where everything is, you're encouraged to scope out the sights yourself and follow your curiosity. The map only fills out when you've allowed it to by exploration - the stuff you've found rather than the stuff you haven't. Even the game's Ubisoft-towers - perhaps the single biggest concession to convention - work in contrast to other games - they only give you the basic geographical details, and it's up to you to follow the clues and hints.

It helps, of course, that the visual design is so beautifully focused. I've heard a few writers praise the game's 'sightlines', and they're dead on with that - just so many interesting, unusual things carefully placed to encourage you to climb or float or swim over to them. To a fault, even - takes me about 30 minutes to actually turn the bloody thing off because I'm always just like 'OK, I'll just check this ridge before switching off for the night' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I do love this game, but I've had several of those get killed before you even have a chance to defend yourself situations over the past couple days.

I'm getting pretty f*ckin tired of being killed over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can't for the life of me beat that damnnnnnnnnnnnnn stone tallus, getting the warm doublet has me stumped too, this game is mind numbingly difficult I am almost ready to quit, I will give it another go tomorrow after that I may go full Nerd rage on my switch, this game is evil most foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can't for the life of me beat that damnnnnnnnnnnnnn stone tallus, getting the warm doublet has me stumped too, this game is mind numbingly difficult I am almost ready to quit, I will give it another go tomorrow after that I may go full Nerd rage on my switch, this game is evil most foul.

The learning curve is a little steep I'd admit but it does get easier as you learn from your mistakes and get a little stronger. Tallus was hard he got me a good few times too but once I figured out a strategy he wasn't too bad. How many shrines have you got on Plateau? There is at least 3 ways of getting the doublet.
    You read the diary in old mans hut?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

mind numbingly difficult?? what?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sligeach wrote: »
    You're going to love it. The game is amazing. It's all the hype and then some. I've barely made a dent in it, took a day to leave the Great Plateau(not literally a day but you know, started Friday evening, took several breaks, left last night). I'm at the point where I've done 7 Shrines and got my first horse(named it Spotty. What was I thinking?). The Shrines are cool, straight forward and simple so far but getting the chest that's out of reach in a couple of them have been clever. There's so much to see and do. The new powers are great too.

I'm using the Wii U Pro controller because ironically, given the issues over the left Joy-con, the left thumbstick on the gamepad is not accurate at all. It's got kind of drift. You'll tap in a direction and it'll keep moving even after you let go. So I'll have to get that fixed at some point.

The game has set a new pinnacle for the series.

Funny thing you say that about the left thumbstick mine is the exact same but only when I have it docked and even then it might not always go wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Exploring way too much have done two shrines so far had eye surgery done on Friday so am playing this with one and a bit eyes at 4 he moment so it has been hard but fun like most other zelda games but very frustrating might give it a miss for a while while my eye heals, I went way off track ending up where tallus is, am betting he is an after the first four shrines event rather than before. Will be easier to get around once I have a horse too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

As a matter of interest, how are ur guys playing this. I have only tried handheld mode as when I first got it, you need to charge the controllers by connecting them to the console and I don't have access to a TV mid week.

The whole free standing idea is a shocking design considering the power point location.

I am amazed how immersed I am with this game on the small screen though. From minute one I was bought into it, and had no desire to try it out on the big screen.

Advertisement