Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

How did it take me this long to figure out you can drop bombs while hovering with the paraglider!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

This is by far the hardest Zelda game and may well be the hardest Nintendo game I've played post 8-bit!

It took me a good while to get my head around the combat but I'm dying less frequently now and have managed to kill one boss so definitely improving.

The destructible weapons take some getting used to but is an interesting variation from the usual Zelda style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Even my splatoon amiibo work with it, the wolf is pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowseye

I had the wonderful idea of trying to cook amber, ruby, opal and a diamond together thinking I'd make myself rich with some sort of superior gemstone, all I got was some rock hard food and confirmation that I am an idiot. I love this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

crowseye wrote: »
    I had the wonderful idea of trying to cook amber, ruby, opal and a diamond together thinking I'd make myself rich with some sort of superior gemstone, all I got was some rock hard food and confirmation that I am an idiot. I love this game :D

Is there any use for amber/opal/ruby/diamonds? I'm afraid to sell them for all those rupees in case I need them for something....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As a matter of interest, how are ur guys playing this. I have only tried handheld mode as when I first got it, you need to charge the controllers by connecting them to the console and I don't have access to a TV mid week.

The whole free standing idea is a shocking design considering the power point location.

I am amazed how immersed I am with this game on the small screen though. From minute one I was bought into it, and had no desire to try it out on the big screen.

Id say ive played 2 hours max on the TV out of 20-30 odd, handheld for this game at least is definitely the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Can't for the life of me beat that damnnnnnnnnnnnnn stone tallus, getting the warm doublet has me stumped too, this game is mind numbingly difficult I am almost ready to quit, I will give it another go tomorrow after that I may go full Nerd rage on my switch, this game is evil most foul.

If you make it to the very top of the mountain, the Old Man is waiting for you and gives you the tunic for free if you've not got one already (through the fish recipe side-quest).

Apparently if you leave the Plateau without getting the tunic and return to his hut, there is a chest there with it in it. Haven't confirmed this.

Beat the Rito Divine Beast last night, surprisingly easy if you're any way good with a bow. I fucking hate Falco Lombardi Revali. Dick.

Got the giant horse and the white horse there as well, not too difficult. The Stalhorse is creepy, the noises it makes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Post arrived this morning but no Zelda Wii U, it was supposed to have arrived today according to Amazon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Really enjoying the game and to be honest I'm in no hurry to finish.

I have 'entered' two of the beasts so that I could activate that warp point but then left them so I can get stronger and finish them another day.

Focusing now on activating the rest of the towers so I can see the full map, find more shrines and also 'enter' the other 2 beasts :)

Went around with fire arrows yesterday and got a ton of cooked meat by shooting animals nyom nyom!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played it for about 10 hours yesterday, and absolutely love the game. It's on par with the Witcher 3 for me, for best open world game i've ever played. Made some good progress as well, which i was struggling to do the day before. Two moments i loved when playing it for like 12 hours yesterday
    • The artist that tells you where to find unlocked memories, check out his painting at the stables. He's obviously a master craftsman :P
    • Open a chest when wearing no clothes and seeing Link stub his toe. Just small bits like that which add to the immersion.

Fantastic game, and definitely GOTY so far (and will be near impossible to beat).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You can drop bombs from the glider??? Sweeeeet... although given both of Links hands are busy, I don't want to think about how he's pulling that off.

I meant to ask earlier, I was on my way from Kakariko to the Zora lands when, after surfing my horse down the side of a mountain I found a
    Guardian wandering around in the wetlands. Aside : Blue lights don't mean that he's a good guy, it just means he hasn't seen a reason to get angry yet... Anyway, given that they have an insanely long field of view, and he's mobile and relatively fast, he's a bugger to get away from. Am I supposed to be able to kill one of these early on? I tried fighting one of the stationary ones on the Plateau for a while, bombs had no effect and an arrow to the eyes did only a very insignificant amount of damage.
    Have to say, getting away from him was great fun in retrospect, nearly cost me a horse, nearly forced me to choose to leave the horse to save myself, got to do a full on survival horror moment of hiding in a ruined cottage and moving around the one freestanding wall to keep it between me and him before galloping off into the sunset while laser beams exploded the hills around me. Looking back you can see that they laid that area out to give you options for escape routes but at the time it felt very seat-of-the-pants.

Hold on, what's the Stone Talus and how come I got off the Plateau - after a significant amount of exploration, or so I thought - without finding out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

To a fault, even - takes me about 30 minutes to actually turn the bloody thing off because I'm always just like 'OK, I'll just check this ridge before switching off for the night' :p

Exactly the same here! This is usually late at night and then I wonder why I can't get up in the morning for work!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hunting boars the past two hours none to be found in the forest bar one that legged it, switch action replay can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Took on the Stallox yesterday, had knocked a good bit off it, and it was going pretty well, but I think I'd unlucky timing, or wandered too far from his original spot, as he just dug himself into the ground and disappeared. Disgruntled, I went off to find a nearby shrine, to stumble across a bear, which I took down with a good few arrows and some frantic strafing! Had just collected my ill gotten gains/tasty meat, when I heard another bear charging me! Just managed to get out of the way, and as I hadn't got many arrows left, I swapped to ice arrows, froze the bear, then slashed with a fire sword, did that twice and I had some lovely cooked steaks as a reward! :D

Bloody love this game...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Way behind everyone else here but it's taken me three nights of playing to reach kakariko village. I just keep getting sidetracked with exploring little interesting outcrops and raiding enemy camps. I just love how the game constantly rewards your curiosity. If you see something slightly interesting more than likely it's worth your while investigating.

I'm someone that doesn't really like open world games but now I realise it's because they weren't done right. Zelda does it right. No checklist of objectives to tick off on the map just your own curiosity to go exploring.

I can safely say already this is an all time great contender and a near shoe in for game of the year. I haven't gotten this feeling since playing Resi 4 or half life where you know this is going to be a game changer or at least should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Star Lord wrote: »
    Took on the Stallox yesterday, had knocked a good bit off it, and it was going pretty well, but I think I'd unlucky timing, or wandered too far from his original spot, as he just dug himself into the ground and disappeared.

He did that to me as well. I imagine it's because he only comes out at night and buggers off in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Those guardians give me the fear. I'm at the stage where I can take one down but just the one. And barely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I haven't taken on a Guardian yet, at least not the ground based ones. Took out a flying one with some Ancient Arrows though, as i wanted to get to a tower that they were swarming around.

One thing i hate about the game...bloody rain. It's always raining when i try to climb stuff. Where a weather changing Ocarina when you need one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Not sure anything I've come across yet is classifiable as 'difficult' in the game, few tough spots, I unlocked the final tower last night and certainly nowhere near the most difficult zelda game, but defo up there with ocarina as most enjoyable! It's an absolute masterpiece!
    Only playing handheld when OH needs to charge hers and vice versa!

Question on the Yiga Clan
    I defeated their leader and got the helm thing back but now when I roam the map they spawn randomly and start to attack! How the hell do I get rid of them? It's annoying!

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    I defeated their leader and got the helm thing back but now when I roam the map they spawn randomly and start to attack! How the hell do I get rid of them? It's annoying!
    Short answer, you don't

Irishbrick wrote: »
    Short answer, you don't

Dammit :mad: cheers though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Dammit :mad: cheers though :)

Ugh. I hate them. They're just irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I actually really really hated the weapon system in this, it took away any joy of finding a new weapon. As you knew when you use it, it would just break after 2-3 mobs :(

I still hold OOT in a much higher standing with regards to dungeons/gameplay/boss fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Did I not read a few pages back that if you've the full Sheika stealth outfit then they don't respawn?

Only have the tunic myself so can't confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Up to about 20 shrines now.
    Progress is slow due to work and family commitments, plus the fact my wife has decided now is a good time to obsess over Mario Kart 8.
    Normally this kind of stop/start gaming kills a game for me and I tend to lose interest. Not with BOTW though, which is surely a testament to the design of Hyrule, can't wait to get back to it each time.

Three hours and and say twenty five minutes until I'm back in Hyrule.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    One thing i hate about the game...bloody rain. It's always raining when i try to climb stuff. Where a weather changing Ocarina when you need one :mad:

I adore the rain mechanics. Don't get me wrong, it's also immensely frustrating. But the sheer commitment to world-building... to randomly and regularly cripple a key traversal mechanic simply because it makes sense to do so is a beautiful touch. It's the sort of thing you see in weird outliers like Far Cry 2, but hasn't really crossed over into the mainstream otherwise. Kudos to Nintendo for allowing such logical, maddening mechanical disruption: pure, total game design in its finest form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Beat the Rito Divine Beast and you can bypass a lot of climbing with the ability you gain. Don't get me wrong, I like climbing a lot, but at the first drop of rain, whoosh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I actually find the game rather difficult, especially the combat against higher level enemies. I worry it will totally halt my progress when I get to a tough boss fight, just like Dark Souls, Bloodborne etc..

In one mission you have to find shock arrows and face off against a
    Lynel
    . Is it actually possible to beat that thing or are you supposed to do what I did which is
    die about 20 times then give up and sneak around to find all the arrows you need.

Advertisement